Products that (apparently) failed

Karen Lingel, Penguinist

Sep 3, 2001, 5:09:08 PM9/3/01
Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of

PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
Fresh-water taffy

--
-k-
Karen Lingel

Oriole Adams

Sep 3, 2001, 5:45:55 PM9/3/01
>Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>
>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>Fresh-water taffy

Absorbine, Sr

~ Oriole ~~
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw...

Bill Diamond

Sep 3, 2001, 5:54:08 PM9/3/01
Good old oriol...@aol.com (Oriole Adams) wrote in
alt.fan.cecil-adams back on 03 Sep 2001 21:45:55 GMT that ...

>>Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>>
>>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>Fresh-water taffy
>>

>Absorbine, Sr

Extra-Large deodorant Tampax with a steel applicator.

>~ Oriole ~~
> The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw...

"You never know what is enough unless you
know what is more than enough." --William Blake

Joe Shimkus

Sep 3, 2001, 5:54:45 PM9/3/01
In article <20010903174555...@mb-cg.aol.com>,
oriol...@aol.com (Oriole Adams) wrote:

> >Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
> >
> >PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
> >Fresh-water taffy
> >

> Absorbine, Sr

Compound Y
Old-Skin
St. Joseph's Chewable Amphetamines
Pizzeria Dos
Little Caligula's

- Joe

--
PGP Key (DH/DSS): http://www.shimkus.com/public_key.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 89B4 52DA CF10 EE03 02AD 9134 21C6 2A68 CE52 EE1A

John Brown

Sep 3, 2001, 6:14:25 PM9/3/01
Joe Shimkus added:
> oriol...@aol.com (Oriole Adams) wrote: (responding to what Karen Lingle
had written, and to which Bill Diamond has also contributed:

>> >Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>> >
>> >PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>> >Fresh-water taffy

>> Absorbine, Sr
>
>Compound Y
>Old-Skin
>St. Joseph's Chewable Amphetamines
>Pizzeria Dos
>Little Caligula's

Preparation G
Hoppes Number 8
Grape Flavored K-Y Jelly
Kentucky Fried Mountain Oysters
GatorPee

John "Attributions R Us" Brown

Kim

Sep 3, 2001, 6:15:05 PM9/3/01

"Karen Lingel, Penguinist" <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote in
message news:UjSk7.5804$Uf1.4...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>
> PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED

Larry Palletti

Sep 3, 2001, 6:16:53 PM9/3/01
On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 21:09:08 GMT, "Karen Lingel, Penguinist"
<karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:

>Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>
>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>Fresh-water taffy

6-Up
L&L's
Doubleyou-Lax
Microsoft Doors
Gamma Airlines
Tic-Staples
Mercury Marquis de Sade
Cadillac Coupe d'Etat
Congo.com
Guatemala hats
Moonkist oranges
Gentlemanfingers
Peppertines

--
Larry Palletti East Point/Atlanta, Georgia
www.palletti.com www.booksonscreen.com

Opinionated, but lovable

Bill Diamond

Sep 3, 2001, 6:28:41 PM9/3/01
Good old frogp...@aol.com (John Brown) wrote in alt.fan.cecil-adams
back on 03 Sep 2001 22:14:25 GMT that ...

From the computer world:
The IBM-QD
WordPrettyGood
Kama Sutra 1-2-3
Book Series: <subject> for Geniuses

Al Yellon

Sep 3, 2001, 6:52:57 PM9/3/01
"Joe Shimkus" <j...@shimkus.com> wrote in message

> In article <20010903174555...@mb-cg.aol.com>,
> oriol...@aol.com (Oriole Adams) wrote:
>
> > >Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
> > >
> > >PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
> > >-----------------------------------------------------------
> > >Fresh-water taffy
> > >

> > Absorbine, Sr
>
> Compound Y
> Old-Skin
> St. Joseph's Chewable Amphetamines
> Pizzeria Dos

If you're referring here to "Pizzeria Uno", the Chicago-based restaurant
that's now a national chain, there *is* a "Pizzeria Due", one block from the
original in downtown Chicago. Both are still successful.

UFO_Charlie

Sep 3, 2001, 6:56:40 PM9/3/01
Karen Lingel, Penguinist <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:

>Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>
>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>Fresh-water taffy

Clear Pepsi

--
***UFO_Charlie***

Random Neural Firings - http://www.thernf.com

"There's no problems, only solutions." -- John Lennon

[Discombobulate my email address to reply.]

John Seeliger

Sep 3, 2001, 7:11:42 PM9/3/01
John Brown <frogp...@aol.com> wrote in article
<20010903181425...@mb-mv.aol.com>...

V-9 Juice
Heinz 56
A-2 steak sauce
Pepsi Two
Beans A Roni
Lego Waffles
Hour Rice

Just Me

Sep 3, 2001, 7:21:08 PM9/3/01
>Clear Pepsi

Just for the record... There was at least one cola that tried to do the
"clear" thing. Of course, I can't remember which one it was.

Just Me
Ketchup will heal the world

Mirhanda Sarko

Sep 3, 2001, 7:25:38 PM9/3/01
"Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMatlantic.net> wrote in alt.fan.cecil-adams:

> "Karen Lingel, Penguinist" <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote
> in message
>> Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>>
>> PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>> Fresh-water taffy
>
> Preparations A,B,C,D,E,F,G

Mr. Pepper

--
Decapitate my addy to email me

I know who you are!! You are the character who occasionally appears in the
comic strip "Sylvia", as "The Woman Who Does Everything More Beautifully
Than You Do".

Les, speaking of me!

Jerry Bauer

Sep 3, 2001, 8:36:52 PM9/3/01
In article <20010903181425...@mb-mv.aol.com>,

. TN Jelly
. WD-39
. Eli Whitney's Cotton Vodka
. 6-Up
. Goost Tape
. Pokari Piss
. Boeing 666
. The Oxford Pictionary
. I Can't Believe It's Not Margarine

Jerry Randal Bauer

Chris OLoughlin

Sep 3, 2001, 9:07:57 PM9/3/01
Karen Lingel, Penguinist <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote in
message news:UjSk7.5804$Uf1.4...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
The FootPad computer (along with its operating system, the Foot(R) OS)
Sun Microsystem's Tea OS
Gillette Mach 7 Razor
Kellogg's Special J Cereal
CD-WOM (compact disk write only)
The sorrowstick controller (for computer games)
White markers for dry-erase boards
The world narrow web

Joe Shimkus

Sep 3, 2001, 9:20:10 PM9/3/01
In article <EmVk7.16666$Up.4...@sea-read.news.verio.net>,
ba...@shell3.ba.best.com (Jerry Bauer) wrote:

> . WD-39

This, at least, has some truth to it. IIRC, WD-40 was created from what
was, indeed, the 40th formula being tried for water displacement.

John Seeliger

Sep 3, 2001, 9:36:37 PM9/3/01
Joe Shimkus <j...@shimkus.com> wrote in article
<joe-5E0197.2...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>...

> In article <EmVk7.16666$Up.4...@sea-read.news.verio.net>,
> ba...@shell3.ba.best.com (Jerry Bauer) wrote:
>

> > . WD-39
>
> This, at least, has some truth to it. IIRC, WD-40 was created from what
> was, indeed, the 40th formula being tried for water displacement.

Not to mention the computer language THIRD.

KGename

Sep 3, 2001, 9:38:56 PM9/3/01
Orioleadams writed:

>>Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>>
>>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>Fresh-water taffy
>>

>Absorbine, Sr

---
Actually, "Absorbine" (note, no "Jr." or "Sr.") was developed as a linament for
horses. Successful, too.
"Jr." came later when it was discovered that the stuff worked well on human
beans too.

73,
Keith

*TASKMASTER EXTRAORDINAIRE*
--Revolutions halted--Tigers tamed--Computers verified--Bars emptied--
--Uprisings quelled--Creationism disproven--Dictators overthrown--
--'Pi' calculated completely--Female Minds Understood--

Bob Ward

Sep 3, 2001, 9:44:05 PM9/3/01
On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 21:09:08 GMT, "Karen Lingel, Penguinist"
<karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:

>Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>
>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>Fresh-water taffy

Gerber's Strained Jalapeños

Greg Goss

Sep 3, 2001, 10:27:36 PM9/3/01
oriol...@aol.com (Oriole Adams) wrote:
>Absorbine, Sr

According to a report I heard on Basic Black, Absorbine lotion was a
treatment for horses.

Greg Goss

Sep 3, 2001, 10:29:03 PM9/3/01
"John Seeliger" <jsee...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Lego Waffles

Well, they did recycle the slogan. (grin)

Greg Goss

Sep 3, 2001, 10:31:50 PM9/3/01
truecr...@aol.commiserate (Just Me) wrote:

>>Clear Pepsi
>
>Just for the record... There was at least one cola that tried to do the
>"clear" thing. Of course, I can't remember which one it was.

Unless you are being tongue in cheek ...

"Crystal" Pepsi.

Greg Goss

Sep 3, 2001, 10:56:29 PM9/3/01

>. TN Jelly
>. WD-39
>. Eli Whitney's Cotton Vodka
>. 6-Up
>. Goost Tape
>. Pokari Piss
>. Boeing 666
>. The Oxford Pictionary
>. I Can't Believe It's Not Margarine

S-T-Poo oil treatment

rob...@bestweb.net

Sep 3, 2001, 11:24:19 PM9/3/01
>Microsoft Doors

Except on "Sliders".

wrong direction:

Left Guard
Northern Comfort
7-Down
Bottom Job

missing something:

Arm
Hammer
Ms

the alphabetic series:

Jell-a thru Jell-n
Beana thru Beann
Brilla thru Brilln
Gas-A thru Gas-W
Spaghetti-As thru Spaghetti-Ns

the family:

Senior Mints
Cousin Jemima
Cousin Ben
Mr. magazine
Mrs. magazine
Miss magazine
and finally Ms. magazine

old and unimproved:

York magazine
The Yorker magazine
The Republic Magazine

not old enough:

Dutch cleanser
Gold cigarets
Smobile

text-only:

Sports magazine

uncomparative:

Man, the comics hero character
CD odor neutralizer
Brite toothpaste
Suds detergent
Budweis beer

not religious enough:

Bes
Jubes
Blue X
Joseph's aspirin

not specific enough:

Meateater gin
Dutch Child
Flag pesticides

too specific:

Polar, the Land camera

Amy Austin

Sep 3, 2001, 11:33:04 PM9/3/01
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Joe Shimkus wrote:

> Pizzeria Dos

Pizzeria Due is only about a block from the original Pizzeria Uno, and
they both looked BUSY last time I was there.

L & k,
Amy

Shotgun Mosquito

Sep 3, 2001, 11:59:43 PM9/3/01
>>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>
> Absorbine, Sr

BZZZT. Wrong, thanks for playing.

http://www.absorbine-animal.com/products/musclecare_fr.htm

Absorbine® Veterinary Liniment
Absorbine® Veterinary Liniment Gel

Absorbine has over 100 years of experience in making products to help tired
or strained muscles feel better and recover fast from hard work or play.

John Dean

Sep 3, 2001, 7:18:40 PM9/3/01

Karen Lingel, Penguinist <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote in
message news:UjSk7.5804$Uf1.4...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>
> PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
> Fresh-water taffy

New Spice
B-didas
Richard Branson's Courtesan airlines
Macrosoft
Hisoin

--
John Dean -- Oxford
I am anti-spammed -- defrag me to reply

Joe Shimkus

Sep 4, 2001, 1:05:54 AM9/4/01
In article
<Pine.SOL.4.33.010903...@herald.cc.purdue.edu>,
Amy Austin <glea...@purdue.edu> wrote:

I must say that whenever I here uno, I think Spanish not Italian.
Consequently, I must sheepishly add that I was going with the Spanish
dos for two rather than the Italian due. Still, it surprises me that
Pizzeria Due hasn't gotten sued into oblivion (unless they're run by the
same folks or pronounce it differently than the Italian due (e.g. like
you're due pizza) and can therefore claim that they're not trading on
the Italian aspects of the word to draw from the popularity of Pizzeria
Uno. I could try and weasel out that Pizzeria Due is a failure by
comparison to Pizzeria Uno since the former is apparently confined to
Chicago and the latter is nationwide but I won't.

Sean Houtman

Sep 4, 2001, 1:54:32 AM9/4/01
From: "Chris OLoughlin" no-spam-c...@worldnet.att.net

Floppy square
Computer Rat
Heavy bulbs
Ocean liner named 'Microscopic'
Stinkweed gardens
Low Fidelity
So-SoMan (The man of slightly rotten wood)
Aquaintances (TV show)
Kung-Bar
Discussion on AFCA on whether or not WATER FLOWS!
Harpsidischord
McHorse sandwich
Fish called "Horse Mackerel" [1]
Misdemeanor on The Orient Express
Star Walk
Webster's Dictionary of the Words Billy Thorton of Detroit Knows
Swedish Jumpsuit Team
307,549,194'th wonder of the world
SuperOuch Bandaids
Normal Putty
Who Wants To Be A Dollaraire
Loan Dolphins
Acidball
Bar-B-Pee
(Julie's "other" child, Lubbock?)
Apriltag appliances
The Statement of Independence
Mildred Benz
Spirit of East St. Louis
Espanola as first site for development of Atomic Bomb

Sean

[1] Apparently the real name of the fish till they changed the name to
something that didn't have either horse or mackerel in it.

--
Visit my photolog page; http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage
Last updated 04-15-01 with 65 pictures of Carlsbad Caverns "Big Room".

StarChaser_Tyger

Sep 4, 2001, 1:57:28 AM9/4/01
We get signal. What you say? It's Joe Shimkus <j...@shimkus.com>,

>In article <20010903174555...@mb-cg.aol.com>,
> oriol...@aol.com (Oriole Adams) wrote:
>

>> >Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>> >
>> >PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>> >-----------------------------------------------------------
>> >Fresh-water taffy
>> >

>> Absorbine, Sr
>
>Compound Y
>Old-Skin
>St. Joseph's Chewable Amphetamines
>Pizzeria Dos
>Little Caligula's

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6-up.

--
Visit the Furry Artist InFURmation Page! Contact information, which artists
do and don't want their work posted. http://web.tampabay.rr.com/starchsr/

Oh dis he us

Sep 4, 2001, 2:34:14 AM9/4/01
"Kim" ki...@NOSPAMatlantic.net
Date: 9/3/2001 6:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time writes:

>"Karen Lingel, Penguinist" <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote in
>message news:UjSk7.5804$Uf1.4...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>>
>> PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>> Fresh-water taffy
>
>Preparations A,B,C,D,E,F,G

Formulas one through four hundred and eight, inclusive.

-"Ain't gonna hang no picture, ain't gonna hang no picture frame
ain't gonna hang no picture, ain't gonna hang no picture frame
Well, I might look like Robert Ford, but I feel just like Jesse James"

Doug

Sep 4, 2001, 2:41:54 AM9/4/01
Karen Lingel, Penguinist wrote

> Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>
> PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
> Fresh-water taffy

The book - "Mensa for the Complete Idiot"

- Doug

Jerry Bauer

Sep 4, 2001, 3:18:32 AM9/4/01
In article <UjSk7.5804$Uf1.4...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Karen Lingel, Penguinist <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:
>Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>
>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>Fresh-water taffy

. dogsup
. father clock
. Left Guard deodorant (for your other armpit)
. Complicated Green

Jerry Randal Bauer

Patrick McKinnion

Sep 4, 2001, 5:44:43 AM9/4/01
In article <UjSk7.5804$Uf1.4...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Karen Lingel, Penguinist <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:

> Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>
> PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
> Fresh-water taffy

Let's see, off the top of my head........

Formula 400.
Maine-Style Chili.
"Munchkin" brand extra-small condoms.
The "B" programming language
Gee, your hair smells like shampoo!
Army Jelly
Lt. Crunch cereal
"Haggis on a Stick" fast food franchise
Baskin 15.5 flavours and Robbins 15.5 Flavours
Union 1 though 75 gasoline
Nurse Pepper
665 brand cough syrup.
1 in 1 oil
Okra-favoured Life Savers
Special "A" though "K" cereals
McSpam deluxe sandwich
GI Jeffrey
L & L's candy
4th Avenue candy
Web TV for Servers
Sober Putty
Extra Soggy Potato Chips
Newest Coke
Fredricks of Cleveland lingere stores
Playnun magazine
Pokemon Lingere
1-D movies
Heinz 56 Sauce
B-2 steak sauce
Caffine-Free Diet Crystal Pepsi
Pocari Bile
Cup o' Lasagne
Denny's Black Pudding Slam
Hot Cats
Idd and SuperEggo Waffles
Phoenix-Style Clam Chowder
Bakersfield-style home decor
Ginzu Pillows
Volkswagen Cockroaches
Tampa-Style Pizza
VIC-19 and Commodore 63 computers
Vicks Week-Quil Cold and Cough remedy
Shake and Bake Cake Mix
Iguana McNuggets
Word Imperfect
Lotus Memos
Windows 2000 for Macintosh
Microsoft BOB for Linux

- Patrick McKinnion

--
"Brought to you by 'Ouchies', the sharp, prickly toy you bathe with...."
------------------

Just Me

Sep 4, 2001, 7:41:02 AM9/4/01
>Special "A" though "K" cereals

Oops... you went too far. There IS Special K cereal... I suspect you meant A
through J.

Asterbark

Sep 4, 2001, 8:14:51 AM9/4/01
truecr...@aol.commiserate (Just Me) wrote:

>>Special "A" though "K" cereals
>
>Oops... you went too far. There IS Special K cereal... I suspect you meant
>through J.

Apple Jills
Honeybrushes
Fruity Gravel
Ensign Crunch
Accidental Charms
Silver Grahams
Miseryos
Prune Bran
Corn Moms
Frozen mini-wheats
Subtotal

--
Aster
"The sun is warm as the day is long"

W. R. "Gig" Giacona

Sep 4, 2001, 8:25:30 AM9/4/01

Boeing 666

Whats with the lack of the 717 until Boeing consumed MD there wasn't one.
707, 727, 737, 747... but until Boeing renamed the MD-95 there was no 717.

Amy Austin

Sep 4, 2001, 8:46:47 AM9/4/01
On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Joe Shimkus wrote:

> In article
> <Pine.SOL.4.33.010903...@herald.cc.purdue.edu>,
> Amy Austin <glea...@purdue.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Joe Shimkus wrote:
> >
> > > Pizzeria Dos
> >
> > Pizzeria Due is only about a block from the original Pizzeria Uno, and
> > they both looked BUSY last time I was there.
>
> I must say that whenever I here uno, I think Spanish not Italian.
> Consequently, I must sheepishly add that I was going with the Spanish
> dos for two rather than the Italian due. Still, it surprises me that

Spanish pizza? Hmmmm... That could be interesting. Is there such an
animal (excluding the Mexican Pizza at Toxic Bell, which is neither
Mexican nor pizza)?

> Pizzeria Due hasn't gotten sued into oblivion (unless they're run by the
> same folks or pronounce it differently than the Italian due (e.g. like
> you're due pizza) and can therefore claim that they're not trading on
> the Italian aspects of the word to draw from the popularity of Pizzeria
> Uno. I could try and weasel out that Pizzeria Due is a failure by
> comparison to Pizzeria Uno since the former is apparently confined to
> Chicago and the latter is nationwide but I won't.

They were opened by the same guy. Due is only a block or so from Uno, I'm
pretty sure you can see them from each other. Uno's is EXTREMELY small
and claustrophobic inside. Due's has the exact same stuff on the menu,
the difference is that the restaurant is larger.

http://metromix.com/top/1,1419,M-Metromix-Visiting-Attractions!PlaceDetail-4715,00.html

L & k,
Amy

Larry Palletti

Sep 4, 2001, 8:58:18 AM9/4/01

On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 21:09:08 GMT, "Karen Lingel, Penguinist"
karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:

>Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>
>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED

Methodist Oats
Hewlett-Packard V-12 engines
Ford Crown Victoria's Secret
Shell Oil of Olay
Bier mugs (for refreshments at funerals)
B.F. Goodwitch Tires (for getting out of Oz)
Lay's Potato Chimps
Jesse Jackson's condoms
Wander Bras

--
Larry Palletti East Point/Atlanta, Georgia
www.palletti.com www.booksonscreen.com

Opinionated, but lovable
"Like we're going to run out of white women, anyway." -- Dutch Courage

John Seeliger

Sep 4, 2001, 9:34:54 AM9/4/01
cross-posted to aue for food content

Amy Austin <glea...@purdue.edu> wrote in article
<Pine.SOL.4.33.010904...@herald.cc.purdue.edu>...

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Joe Shimkus wrote:
> > I must say that whenever I here uno, I think Spanish not Italian.
> > Consequently, I must sheepishly add that I was going with the Spanish
> > dos for two rather than the Italian due. Still, it surprises me that
>
> Spanish pizza? Hmmmm... That could be interesting. Is there such an
> animal (excluding the Mexican Pizza at Toxic Bell, which is neither
> Mexican nor pizza)?

I recent had some excellent Tombstone® Mexican Style Pizzas. There was a
Cheese Quesadilla and an especially good "Nacho Grande." (corn tortilla
crust, Monterrey jack and sharp cheddar cheeses, medium salsa, taco
seasoned sausage, green onions and black olives, tomatoes.)

Andrew Gore

Sep 4, 2001, 10:23:47 AM9/4/01
On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 21:09:08 GMT, "Karen Lingel, Penguinist"
<karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:

>Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>
>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED

>Fresh-water taffy

Ben Straight

daniel gerard mcgrath

Sep 4, 2001, 11:02:00 AM9/4/01
On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 13:34:54 GMT, "John Seeliger"
<jsee...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>cross-posted to aue for food content

No, _DON'T_! Food is NOT on-topic there!

daniel g. mcgrath
an avid subscriber to _word ways: the journal of recreational linguistics_
(<URL:http://www.wordways.com/>) and 'alt.usage.english' newsgroup

i have AUTISM -- for more information, please see
<URL:http://www.alt-usage-english.org/McGrath.html>.

rob...@bestweb.net

Sep 4, 2001, 11:05:08 AM9/4/01
On 2001-09-04 pat...@earthlink.net said among many other things:

>The "B" programming language

It hasn't become too popular, but got around a little, and really was
predecessor to C. We discussed it here a few years ago. My recollection
from a letter in "Byte" was that it had a data structure called tables, that
allowed you to look up the index by the entry, in effect. Someone here told
me I was all wrong, but as you can see, the correction didn't stick while my
impression from "Byte" did.

Robert -- cross-posts welcome, no e-mail copies

rob...@bestweb.net

Sep 4, 2001, 11:05:09 AM9/4/01
On 2001-09-04 joe-610FC9.0...@nntp.ix.netcom.com said:

>Spanish pizza? Hmmmm... That could be interesting. Is there such
>an animal (excluding the Mexican Pizza at Toxic Bell, which is
>neither Mexican nor pizza)?

Gordo's in/near Hawthorne, NY has Mexican pizza too. And what makes you say
it's not pizza?

Asterbark

Sep 4, 2001, 11:11:02 AM9/4/01
radioGO-SPAM-...@yahoo.com wrote:

>Artificially-flavored rhubarb

Vegetable roll-ups
Grapes from concentrate

John Seeliger

Sep 4, 2001, 11:47:58 AM9/4/01
daniel gerard mcgrath <dmcg...@yahoo.com> wrote in article
<3b94ebf6...@news.ggn.net>...

> On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 13:34:54 GMT, "John Seeliger"
> <jsee...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> >cross-posted to aue for food content
>
> No, _DON'T_! Food is NOT on-topic there!

Well, it is if we are talking about whether an alleged "Mexican pizza" is
"Mexican" and "pizza." Now regarding the Toxic Bell[1] "Mexican pizza," if
it was born in Mexico, I think it can regard itself as legitimately
Mexican. If it was born in Texas between 1821 and 1836 or in the southwest
US between 1821 and about 1846 (1848? when was the Treat of Monterey or
whatever signed. oh, nevermind. I don't really care.), then it would also
be Mexican by birth, since those area were Mexico at that time. Also, if
it was[2] born of Mexican pizza parents, then it could legitimately be
considered Mexican. Furthermore, if it can do the Macarena, it might very
well be a Mexican pizza. If it was seen illegally entering the US from
Mexico, it is almost certainly not an American pizza, unless it had just
gone down to Mexico for the weekend and lost its ID, or if it is covered
with marijuana or heroin[3].

As to the pizzaness of the alleged pizza, we have discussed extensive in
AUE recently what constitutes a pizza, sandwich, sauce, etc. The" pizzas"
in question, IIRC, use a tortilla, rather than a normal crust. This under
Richard Fontana's definition is not a bread, I believe, or if it is a
bread, it is only a bread in a technical sense. We have also concluded, I
think, that a taco (which IMO is what a Mexican pizza is, though a
Tombstone® Mexican style pizza is not a taco IMO, in spite of its "Corn
Tortilla Crust"[4] but a genuine pizza) and a pizza are not sandwiches and
I think all who weighed in on the issue in AUE agreed with this.

Though I myself still insist that a Red Baron® Enrobed Sandwich® is a
sandwich, whether it's pizza flavored or not and if it is pizza flavored,
it is a pizza. (Surely they wouldn't call it an Enrobed Sandwich® were it
not a sandwich would they?) And likewise, I have the same opinions bout Hot
Pockets®, which are a similar product.

Now, where I used to live, there was a KFC nearby, which later became a
combination Taco Bell/KFC and a few miles away there was a combination
Pizza Hut/KFC/Taco Bell[5]. If the alleged Mexican pizza had been ordered
at a Pizza Hut/KFC/Taco Bell instead of a plain Taco Bell or a combination
Taco Bell/KFC does that change its "pizzaness"? I think not.

We never discussed the KFC wraps. Sandwich or not? I say yes. They are
normally eaten with the hands and contain chicken, lettuce, tomatoes and
sauce I think, though I'm not sure I've had one. (or at least some of us
think it's a sauce.) Though it's on a tortilla I believe. It's a tortilla
wrap. I say sandwich (and wrap which is often a sandwich), though I doubt
Richard will agree since a tortilla is probably not a bread to him. Not
fluffy enough. Besides, what about the substitution principle which only
applies to sandwiches. You can't replace a tortilla with just any type of
bread and still have it be a wrap. Though as I explained in
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sandwich+seeliger+jet&hl=en&safe=off&rnum
=1&selm=01c122d0%246e013780%2447dafed1%40adkins> (that thread has 520
message in it according to Google, btw), I think overspecifying an X does
not make it an less X-like (it inherits from X.) I also still maintain
that a gordita, whether purchased at a Taco Bell or a combination Taco
Bell/KFC or anywhere else, if it is Taco Bell gordita-like, is indeed a
sandwich. The bread is very pita-like and I accept a stuffed pita,
including the Jack-in-the-Box® Chicken Fajita Pita®, and a gyro to be a
sandwich. (Note, I am not saying a gyro is stuffed, but that both the
stuffed pita and the gyro are sandwiches.)

[1]- Some friends of mine in college call it Taco Purgatory, as opposed I
suppose to Taco Hell.

[2]- Should I be using was or were?

[3]- With a name like marijuana though, you've got to suspect she's
Mexican, though she might claim to be Mary Jane to assimilate.

[4]- Though it calls itself a corn tortilla crust, it is not very
tortilla-like, but much more pizza-crust-like, and indeed, I didn't even
know it was a corn tortilla until I read the label this morning. I may
have to get some more Tombstone® Mexican Style Nacho Grande pizzas to do
more research on this or just because they taste so good.

[5]- All of which are owned by PepsiCo, maker of a soda which is also a
Cola because of its similarity to Coke® under the Fontana definition of a
cola called Pepsi®. They also own Frito-Lays who make corn chips which are
also Mexican, salsa (which Richard would not agree is a sauce, unlike me)
and Potato chips (among other things). The chips are not the type which in
the UK are normally served with fish, called in Spanish pecados, but I
digress.

John Seeliger

Sep 4, 2001, 11:53:10 AM9/4/01
rob...@bestweb.net wrote in article <tp9rd42...@corp.supernews.com>...

It is short for BCPL which is, IIRC, Basic Control Programming Language,
which was a step above assembly. The control dealt with the flow of
control in the language.

So for failed products, how about:

B language
COMPLEX
THIRD
DESCARTES

Amy Austin

Sep 4, 2001, 12:16:19 PM9/4/01
On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, John Seeliger wrote:

<snip a lengthy summary of an even lengthier argument regarding what is,
and is not, pizza (among other things)>

> Though as I explained in
> <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sandwich+seeliger+jet&hl=en&safe=off&rnum
> =1&selm=01c122d0%246e013780%2447dafed1%40adkins> (that thread has 520
> message in it according to Google, btw)

Woah. I'm sorry I asked.

L & k,
Amy

Amy Austin

Sep 4, 2001, 12:18:12 PM9/4/01

You have to eat it with a fork. It does not come in pie-shaped slices.
It is impossible to pick up. It has two tortillas instead of a crust.
There's already a word for it in Spanish, too... Isn't it technically a
tostada?

L & k,
Amy (and really, none of the food at Toxic Bell should be considered
Mexican, any more than LaChoy meals-in-a-can should be considered Asian -
not that they're bad, they're just not exactly... authentic... now, are
they?)

Joe Manfre

Sep 4, 2001, 12:22:30 PM9/4/01
John Seeliger (jsee...@prodigy.net) wrote [and I edited his text
ever so slightly to get it down to plain ASCII]:

> Now, where I used to live, there was a KFC nearby, which later became a
> combination Taco Bell/KFC and a few miles away there was a combination
> Pizza Hut/KFC/Taco Bell[5].

[snip]

> [5]- All of which are owned by PepsiCo,

No, no, no. PepsiCo has long since spun off the restaurant division
into a new company called Tricon Global Restaurants, which has one of
my favorite corporate names as well as one of my favorite New York
Stock Exchange ticker symbols (YUM).

(If you visit Tricon Global's Web site you will see that they place
great stock [har!] in the YUM concept.)

> maker of a soda which is also a Cola because of its similarity to

> Coke(R) under the Fontana definition of a cola called Pepsi(R).

Yeah but Richard's definition of a cola is the only sensible one there
is. Note that this is different from the definition of the very very
tasty "champagne kola" flavor typified by the Inca Kola brand. A
champagne kola does not taste like a cola and it does not taste like
champagne; I think it tastes kind of like bubble gum and cotton candy
and other worldly delights.

> They also own Frito-Lays who make corn chips which are also Mexican,
> salsa (which Richard would not agree is a sauce, unlike me)

But what sort of sauce *are* you?

> and Potato chips (among other things). The chips are not the type
> which in the UK are normally served with fish, called in Spanish
> pecados, but I digress.

That's okay.

JM (followups to AUE)

--
Joe Manfre, Hyattsville, Maryland.

John Dean

Sep 4, 2001, 12:16:40 PM9/4/01

Mirhanda Sarko <azz...@bellsouthCAPITATE.net> wrote in message
> "Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMatlantic.net> wrote in alt.fan.cecil-adams:

> > "Karen Lingel, Penguinist" <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote
> > in message

> >> Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
> >>
> >> PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
> >> Fresh-water taffy
> >
> > Preparations A,B,C,D,E,F,G
>
> Mr. Pepper

Ms Beeton's Cookery Book

GrapeApe

Sep 4, 2001, 12:30:07 PM9/4/01
Model B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S Ford

Richard Fontana

Sep 4, 2001, 12:36:59 PM9/4/01
On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, John Seeliger wrote:

> Well, it is if we are talking about whether an alleged "Mexican pizza" is
> "Mexican" and "pizza." Now regarding the Toxic Bell[1] "Mexican pizza," if
> it was born in Mexico, I think it can regard itself as legitimately
> Mexican. If it was born in Texas between 1821 and 1836 or in the southwest
> US between 1821 and about 1846 (1848? when was the Treat of Monterey or
> whatever signed. oh, nevermind. I don't really care.), then it would also
> be Mexican by birth, since those area were Mexico at that time. Also, if
> it was[2] born of Mexican pizza parents, then it could legitimately be
> considered Mexican. Furthermore, if it can do the Macarena, it might very
> well be a Mexican pizza.

Didn't the Macarena originate in Spain?

[...]

> As to the pizzaness of the alleged pizza, we have discussed extensive in
> AUE recently what constitutes a pizza, sandwich, sauce, etc.

We didn't really discuss what constitutes pizza, but I apply a more narrow
definition than many Americans would use.

> The" pizzas"
> in question, IIRC, use a tortilla, rather than a normal crust. This under
> Richard Fontana's definition is not a bread, I believe, or if it is a
> bread, it is only a bread in a technical sense. We have also concluded, I
> think, that a taco (which IMO is what a Mexican pizza is, though a
> Tombstone® Mexican style pizza is not a taco IMO, in spite of its "Corn
> Tortilla Crust"[4] but a genuine pizza) and a pizza are not sandwiches and
> I think all who weighed in on the issue in AUE agreed with this.

Definitely sounds non-pizza to me.

> Though I myself still insist that a Red Baron® Enrobed Sandwich® is a
> sandwich, whether it's pizza flavored or not and if it is pizza flavored,
> it is a pizza. (Surely they wouldn't call it an Enrobed Sandwich® were it
> not a sandwich would they?) And likewise, I have the same opinions bout Hot
> Pockets®, which are a similar product.

You seem to be suggesting that, to you, anything "pizza flaored" is
pizza. I would reject such a definition.

> Now, where I used to live, there was a KFC nearby, which later became a
> combination Taco Bell/KFC and a few miles away there was a combination
> Pizza Hut/KFC/Taco Bell[5]. If the alleged Mexican pizza had been ordered
> at a Pizza Hut/KFC/Taco Bell instead of a plain Taco Bell or a combination
> Taco Bell/KFC does that change its "pizzaness"? I think not.

Agreed. I don't consider the product sold at Pizza Hut and called
"pizza" to be actual "pizza".

> We never discussed the KFC wraps. Sandwich or not? I say yes. They are
> normally eaten with the hands and contain chicken, lettuce, tomatoes and
> sauce I think, though I'm not sure I've had one. (or at least some of us
> think it's a sauce.) Though it's on a tortilla I believe. It's a tortilla
> wrap. I say sandwich (and wrap which is often a sandwich), though I doubt
> Richard will agree since a tortilla is probably not a bread to him. Not
> fluffy enough.

I've never had one, but it doesn't seem like a sandwich to me.

> Besides, what about the substitution principle which only
> applies to sandwiches. You can't replace a tortilla with just any type of
> bread and still have it be a wrap. Though as I explained in
> <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sandwich+seeliger+jet&hl=en&safe=off&rnum
> =1&selm=01c122d0%246e013780%2447dafed1%40adkins> (that thread has 520
> message in it according to Google, btw), I think overspecifying an X does
> not make it an less X-like (it inherits from X.) I also still maintain
> that a gordita, whether purchased at a Taco Bell or a combination Taco
> Bell/KFC or anywhere else, if it is Taco Bell gordita-like, is indeed a
> sandwich.

I have had a Taco Bell gordita, and I do not consider it a sandwich.

> The bread is very pita-like and I accept a stuffed pita,
> including the Jack-in-the-Box® Chicken Fajita Pita®, and a gyro to be a
> sandwich. (Note, I am not saying a gyro is stuffed, but that both the
> stuffed pita and the gyro are sandwiches.)

As you know, I also do not consider a gyro to be a sandwich. I do think
that a gordita is probably related to a gyro.

The substitution principle applies to pizza in a negative way. If
anything is used to make the dough/crust-based part of "pizza" other than
legitimate ingredients and preparation techniques, it cannot be
pizza. This means that "Chicago-style" or "deep-dish pizza",
which AIUI uses something like Pillsbury biscuit dough, is most certainly
not pizza. I'm willing to classify it as "pizzoid" or "imitation
pizza" or "pizza-inspired". Perhaps "Chicago-style" pizza should be
classified as a kind of pastry.

Mirhanda Sarko

Sep 4, 2001, 12:41:30 PM9/4/01
aste...@aol.commiles (Asterbark) wrote in alt.fan.cecil-adams:

> Corn Moms

This brought to mind:

Hot Cats
Corn Cats

--
Decapitate my addy to email me

I know who you are!! You are the character who occasionally appears in the
comic strip "Sylvia", as "The Woman Who Does Everything More Beautifully
Than You Do".

Les, speaking of me!

artyw

Sep 4, 2001, 12:43:36 PM9/4/01
Patrick McKinnion <pat...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<040920010240563523%pat...@earthlink.net>...

> In article <UjSk7.5804$Uf1.4...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> Karen Lingel, Penguinist <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:
>
> > Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
> >
> > PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
> > Fresh-water taffy

Rotary Cell Phones
Lutefisk Helper
McHaggis (Hey McDonalds should make something Scottish, right?--note
thread merge with regional Mcfoods)
Oil of Orangutang perfume
Internet access via punchcards

Margaret Kane

Sep 4, 2001, 12:57:40 PM9/4/01

"Amy Austin" <glea...@purdue.edu> wrote in message

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Joe Shimkus wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <Pine.SOL.4.33.010903...@herald.cc.purdue.edu>,
> > Amy Austin <glea...@purdue.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Joe Shimkus wrote:

<snip>> > Pizzeria Due hasn't gotten sued into oblivion (unless they're run

by the
> > same folks or pronounce it differently than the Italian due (e.g. like
> > you're due pizza) and can therefore claim that they're not trading on
> > the Italian aspects of the word to draw from the popularity of Pizzeria
> > Uno. I could try and weasel out that Pizzeria Due is a failure by
> > comparison to Pizzeria Uno since the former is apparently confined to
> > Chicago and the latter is nationwide but I won't.
>
> They were opened by the same guy. Due is only a block or so from Uno, I'm
> pretty sure you can see them from each other. Uno's is EXTREMELY small
> and claustrophobic inside. Due's has the exact same stuff on the menu,
> the difference is that the restaurant is larger.

http://metromix.com/top/1,1419,M-Metromix-Visiting-Attractions!PlaceDetail-4
715,00.html

Uno's also seems to be shedding the "Pizzeria" part of the name to some
degree. All the ads I see around here just say "Uno's" or "Uno's Chicago Bar
& Grill," as they try to play up the fact that they have more than just
pizza. (And I have to admit that their sandwiches aren't that bad).

Anyway here's a blurb from Uno's about Due

"Because Uno's didn't have enough room to expand, Ike did another wonderful
thing. He opened Pizzeria Due on the opposite street corner in the lower
level of a beautiful, Victorian Mansion. The rest is legend. Pizzeria Uno
and Due have become the most celebrated Pizzerias in the world. They've been
mentioned in gourmet cookbooks, written about in magazines and major
newspapers, and featured on television and radio shows."

Margaret

Amy Austin

Sep 4, 2001, 1:09:12 PM9/4/01
On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, John Seeliger wrote:

> Amy Austin <glea...@purdue.edu> wrote in article
> <Pine.SOL.4.33.010904...@herald.cc.purdue.edu>...

> > > Gordo's in/near Hawthorne, NY has Mexican pizza too. And what makes
> you say
> > > it's not pizza?
> >
> > You have to eat it with a fork. It does not come in pie-shaped slices.
> > It is impossible to pick up. It has two tortillas instead of a crust.
> > There's already a word for it in Spanish, too... Isn't it technically a
> > tostada?
>

> Yes, the Taco Bell Mexican Pizza (do they still make it?) was two or three
> corn tortillas, IIRC with stuff between and possibly on the top one. It is
> therefore a tostada, though Taco Bueno sells/sold one called a chalupa
> which was exactly like it, unlike the Taco Bell chalupa, which is curved
> like a wide-mouthed taco and puffier.
> <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=seeliger+picada&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=1&sel
> m=01c11f8d%24fee8bd40%243dd4fed1%40adkins>

Here's a recipe for the Taco Bell "Mexican" "Pizza":

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes/tacobell.htm

L & k,
Amy

John Seeliger

Sep 4, 2001, 1:02:25 PM9/4/01
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 rob...@bestweb.net wrote:
>
> > On 2001-09-04 joe-610FC9.0...@nntp.ix.netcom.com said:
> >
> > >Spanish pizza? Hmmmm... That could be interesting. Is there such
> > >an animal (excluding the Mexican Pizza at Toxic Bell, which is
> > >neither Mexican nor pizza)?
> >
> > Gordo's in/near Hawthorne, NY has Mexican pizza too. And what makes
you say
> > it's not pizza?
>
> You have to eat it with a fork. It does not come in pie-shaped slices.
> It is impossible to pick up. It has two tortillas instead of a crust.
> There's already a word for it in Spanish, too... Isn't it technically a
> tostada?

Yes, the Taco Bell Mexican Pizza (do they still make it?) was two or three

corn tortillas, IIRC with stuff between and possibly on the top one. It is
therefore a tostada, though Taco Bueno sells/sold one called a chalupa
which was exactly like it, unlike the Taco Bell chalupa, which is curved
like a wide-mouthed taco and puffier.
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=seeliger+picada&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=1&sel
m=01c11f8d%24fee8bd40%243dd4fed1%40adkins>

> L & k,
> Amy (and really, none of the food at Toxic Bell should be considered
> Mexican, any more than LaChoy meals-in-a-can should be considered Asian -
> not that they're bad, they're just not exactly... authentic... now, are
> they?)

Nope, not according to my Spanish book _Destinos: An Introduction to
Spanish_[1].

[1]- which uses the concept of a telenovela[2] about an abogada[3] named
Raquel Rodriguez from Los Angeles[4] who travels to various
Spanish-speaking countries and meets Arturo Iglesias[5] who is a
psiquiatra. It lists such items as fajitas and burritos (small donkeys)
evens as being of US origin and someone pointed out (in the monster
sandwich thread on aue?) that authentic Mexican tacos are soft tacos (which
I prefer, though I do like the Taco Bell chalupa. I prefer the soft
flatbread gordita though.), not hard tacos.

[2]- i.e. soap opera

[3]- lawyer

[4]- Los Angeles

[5]- Spanish for churches; cf. to Greek ekklesia.

[6]- shrink

John Seeliger

Sep 4, 2001, 1:55:07 PM9/4/01
<Pine.GSO.4.21.01090...@sparky.cs.nyu.edu>...

>On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, John Seeliger wrote:
>
>> Well, it is if we are talking about whether an alleged "Mexican pizza"
is
>> "Mexican" and "pizza." Now regarding the Toxic Bell[1] "Mexican pizza,"
if
>> it was born in Mexico, I think it can regard itself as legitimately
>> Mexican. If it was born in Texas between 1821 and 1836 or in the
southwest
>> US between 1821 and about 1846 (1848? when was the Treat of Monterey or
>> whatever signed. oh, nevermind. I don't really care.), then it would
also
>> be Mexican by birth, since those area were Mexico at that time. Also,
if
>> it was[2] born of Mexican pizza parents, then it could legitimately be
>> considered Mexican. Furthermore, if it can do the Macarena, it might
very
>> well be a Mexican pizza.
>
>Didn't the Macarena originate in Spain?

Yes, it appears so. The group Los Del Rios is the one who sings the song
and I thought they were from Mexico, but I now find
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&selm=3b52ad76.1450478%40news
.navegalia.com>.

>[...]
>> As to the pizzaness of the alleged pizza, we have discussed extensive in
>> AUE recently what constitutes a pizza, sandwich, sauce, etc.
>
>We didn't really discuss what constitutes pizza, but I apply a more narrow
>definition than many Americans would use.
>
>> The" pizzas"
>> in question, IIRC, use a tortilla, rather than a normal crust. This
under
>> Richard Fontana's definition is not a bread, I believe, or if it is a
>> bread, it is only a bread in a technical sense. We have also concluded,
>> think, that a taco (which IMO is what a Mexican pizza is, though a
>> Tombstone® Mexican style pizza is not a taco IMO, in spite of its "Corn
>> Tortilla Crust"[4] but a genuine pizza) and a pizza are not sandwiches
and
>> I think all who weighed in on the issue in AUE agreed with this.
>
>Definitely sounds non-pizza to me.

But, I bet many who eat it wouldn't even notice it was corn crust. It's
sufficiently crust-like to me to call it a crust.

>> Though I myself still insist that a Red Baron® Enrobed Sandwich® is a
>> sandwich, whether it's pizza flavored or not and if it is pizza
flavored,
>> it is a pizza. (Surely they wouldn't call it an Enrobed Sandwich® were
it
>> not a sandwich would they?) And likewise, I have the same opinions bout
Hot
>> Pockets®, which are a similar product.
>
>You seem to be suggesting that, to you, anything "pizza flaored" is
>pizza. I would reject such a definition.

No, but anything breadlike with sauce and cheese and possibly meat is a
pizza.

AIUI (and this is based on that Rick Steve's Europe guy
<http://www.ricksteves.com> that I mentioned in a different thread), in
Italy, all non-Italian pizza is considered non-pizza. In fact, he said
while visiting a pizzeria in southern Italy that the Italian government try
to or did pass a law declaring that only Italian pizza was pizza.
According to <http://www.ricksteves.com/news/0105/naples.htm>, Naples is
Europe's more densely populated city and the birthplace of pizza. I guess
that gives them the right in their minds to declare only Italian pizza is
pizza.

Margaret Kane

Sep 4, 2001, 1:57:49 PM9/4/01

"artyw" <ar...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Patrick McKinnion <pat...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > In article <UjSk7.5804$Uf1.4...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> > Karen Lingel, Penguinist <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:
> >
> > > Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
> > >
> > > PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
> > > Fresh-water taffy
> >
> Rotary Cell Phones

They do make toy rotary cell phones (for babies). Does that count?

Margaret (Who's looking forward to explaining to Julie one day that "when I
was a kid, we had to get off the couch to change the channel." ) Kane Schoen

Tank

Sep 4, 2001, 2:03:35 PM9/4/01
Oriole Adams posted:

>Absorbine, Sr<

Actually, the product that would be Absorbine Sr. is (or was) simply
called Absorbine, and is (or was) a horse liniment. The Jr. version
was scaled down for people, as I understand it.

--
Tank
"Remember to pillage before you burn"

John Seeliger

Sep 4, 2001, 2:04:33 PM9/4/01
Sorry. My last try got chopped off. Hopefully, this will make it.

> [...]

Hot
>> Pockets®, which are a similar product.
>
>You seem to be suggesting that, to you, anything "pizza flaored" is
>pizza. I would reject such a definition.

No, but anything breadlike with sauce and cheese and possibly meat is a
pizza.

AIUI (and this is based on that Rick Steve's Europe guy

<http://www.ricksteves.com> that I mentioned in a different thread), in
Italy, all non-Italian pizza is considered non-pizza. In fact, he said
while visiting a pizzeria in southern Italy that the Italian government try
to or did pass a law declaring that only Italian pizza was pizza.
According to <http://www.ricksteves.com/news/0105/naples.htm>, Naples is
Europe's more densely populated city and the birthplace of pizza. I guess
that gives them the right in their minds to declare only Italian pizza is

Oh, and btw, I forgot to mention this in my last failed attempt: Weren't
you the one who claimed that pastry had to be sweet
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=seeliger+pastry+sweet&hl=en&safe=off&rnum
=1&selm=Pine.GSO.4.21.0108111521120.1060-100000%40sparky.cs.nyu.edu>? 'So a
pastry is "sweetened" by definition.' A pizza isn't sweet (at least not
any that I've ever had and I've had deep dish pizza. Is it Chicago style
regardless of the shape of the pan, if it's deep dish?)

John Seeliger

Sep 4, 2001, 2:10:31 PM9/4/01
Drats, foiled again. Last try without the offending URL.

Sorry. My last try got chopped off. Hopefully, this will make it.

>Richard Fontana <rf...@sparky.cs.nyu.edu> wrote in article
<Pine.GSO.4.21.01090...@sparky.cs.nyu.edu>...
>On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, John Seeliger wrote:
>
>> Well, it is if we are talking about whether an alleged "Mexican pizza"
is
>> "Mexican" and "pizza." Now regarding the Toxic Bell[1] "Mexican pizza,"
if
>> it was born in Mexico, I think it can regard itself as legitimately
>> Mexican. If it was born in Texas between 1821 and 1836 or in the
southwest
>> US between 1821 and about 1846 (1848? when was the Treat of Monterey or
>> whatever signed. oh, nevermind. I don't really care.), then it would
also
>> be Mexican by birth, since those area were Mexico at that time. Also,
if
>> it was[2] born of Mexican pizza parents, then it could legitimately be
>> considered Mexican. Furthermore, if it can do the Macarena, it might
very
>> well be a Mexican pizza.
>
>Didn't the Macarena originate in Spain?

Yes, it appears so. The group Los Del Rios is the one who sings the song
and I thought they were from Mexico, but I now find

[offending URL deleted but it refers to this message on Google groups:

danny burstein

Sep 4, 2001, 2:15:58 PM9/4/01
In <9n34nd$4s58i$1...@ID-92687.news.dfncis.de> "Margaret Kane" <margar...@zdnet.com> writes:

>Margaret (Who's looking forward to explaining to Julie one day that "when I
>was a kid, we had to get off the couch to change the channel." ) Kane Schoen

Or that when you were her age, there were only 500 channels.

danny "five million channels, and still nothing goood to watch" burstein
dan...@panix.com

John Seeliger

Sep 4, 2001, 2:17:12 PM9/4/01
Goran Larsson <h...@invalid.invalid> wrote in article
<GJ5EC...@approve.se>...
> In article <01c1355a$17389f00$01d6fed1@adkins>,

> John Seeliger <jsee...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> > It is short for BCPL which is, IIRC, Basic Control Programming
Language,
> > which was a step above assembly. The control dealt with the flow of
> > control in the language.
>
> Wrong. BCPL stands for "Basic CPL"; CPL in turn stands for
> "Combined Programming Language".
>
> < http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/clive-on-bcpl.html >
> < http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/bcpl.html >
>
> B is a computer language directly descendant from BCPL, not short for
BCPL.

Thanks for the info. I now seem to recall my CSE 2310 "Assembly and C
Languages" instructor drawing a diagram from Assembly to BCPL to B to C.
It had been a while though. I guess today is my days to get things wrongs,
as this is my third obvious mistake.

> < http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/kbman.html >
>
> More information about BCPL, B, and C can be found here:
>
> < http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/chist.html >

John Seeliger

Sep 4, 2001, 2:27:27 PM9/4/01
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, John Seeliger wrote:
> > Yes, the Taco Bell Mexican Pizza (do they still make it?) was two or
three
> > corn tortillas, IIRC with stuff between and possibly on the top one.
It is
> > therefore a tostada, though Taco Bueno sells/sold one called a chalupa
> > which was exactly like it, unlike the Taco Bell chalupa, which is
curved
> > like a wide-mouthed taco and puffier.

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=seeliger+picada&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=1&sel

> > m=01c11f8d%24fee8bd40%243dd4fed1%40adkins>
>
> Here's a recipe for the Taco Bell "Mexican" "Pizza":
>
> http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes/tacobell.htm

Thanks. That's a cool site.

Jeff Wynn

Sep 4, 2001, 2:39:15 PM9/4/01
In article <01c1356d$1b7bf360$01d6fed1@adkins>, jsee...@prodigy.net
says...
> From: "John Seeliger" <jsee...@prodigy.net>

> Drats, foiled again. Last try without the offending URL.
>
> Sorry. My last try got chopped off. Hopefully, this will make it.

Products that (apparently) failed: Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1155

Dana Carpender

Sep 4, 2001, 2:58:00 PM9/4/01

radioGO-SPAM-...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Artificially-flavored rhubarb

Not to mention rhubarb flavored Kool-Aid.

And, come to think of it, Warm-Aid.

--
Dana W. Carpender
Author, How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet -- And Lost Forty Pounds!

Dana Carpender

Sep 4, 2001, 2:59:17 PM9/4/01

Dana Carpender wrote:

> radioGO-SPAM-...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > Artificially-flavored rhubarb
>
> Not to mention rhubarb flavored Kool-Aid.
>
> And, come to think of it, Warm-Aid.

And, to add to my own post, LifeTakers Candy.

MeadowMan2

Sep 4, 2001, 3:16:39 PM9/4/01
>>Fresh-water taffy
>
>Clear Pepsi

And 7-UP Gold

MeadowMan2

Sep 4, 2001, 3:18:02 PM9/4/01
>The world narrow web

That would be AOL
TR

MeadowMan2

Sep 4, 2001, 3:28:59 PM9/4/01
>>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>Fresh-water taffy

ejector seats for helicoptors

Asterbark

Sep 4, 2001, 3:58:58 PM9/4/01
Worktex tampons
Responsible chewing gum

Amy Austin

Sep 4, 2001, 3:53:23 PM9/4/01
On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, John Seeliger wrote:

> Amy Austin <glea...@purdue.edu> wrote in article

> > Here's a recipe for the Taco Bell "Mexican" "Pizza":

> > http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes/tacobell.htm
>
> Thanks. That's a cool site.

You bet. It's one of my favorites. The McDonald's biscuits are right on.

L & k,
Amy (carb junkie)

Hansen

Sep 4, 2001, 4:26:34 PM9/4/01
In article <UjSk7.5804$Uf1.4...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Karen Lingel, Penguinist" <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:

>Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
>

>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED

Corduroy pillows.

Though they did make headlines for a while...

osmium

Sep 4, 2001, 4:33:21 PM9/4/01

"GrapeApe" <grap...@aol.comjunk> wrote in message
> Model B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S Ford

There was a model B and perhaps some of the others as well. I recall
reading a biography of Ford and I think he used letters before the model T.
But I come up empty on a sample letter.

http://www.118diecastlane.com/1931-1940/YatMing/1934fordmodelbpi.html

GrapeApe

Sep 4, 2001, 5:09:05 PM9/4/01
>Here's a recipe for the Taco Bell "Mexican" "Pizza":
>
>http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes/tacobell.htm

..where it says "Prepare to blow your diners away with this one if
they're at all familiar with the real thing."

I'm not sure how to parse that. I mean, if it is a dead ringer for the item,
won't they merely think you stopped at taco bell?

And if it is actually better than the way your local bell builds them, won't
they be more puzzled than blown away that you are stting up that particular
food item as a culinary goal?

!Caveat emptor Nostradamus

Sep 4, 2001, 5:40:00 PM9/4/01

>Internet access via punchcards

I'd *love* this, just to see the look on my geek friends' faces when I
fired it up!

John Seeliger

Sep 4, 2001, 5:47:52 PM9/4/01
!Caveat emptor Nostradamus <n...@nostradamus.net> wrote in article
<3b9548cb....@news.concentric.net>...

> >Internet access via punchcards
>
> I'd *love* this, just to see the look on my geek friends' faces when I
> fired it up!

Radio for the deaf.
Closed captioning for the blind.

Sean Houtman

Sep 4, 2001, 6:27:50 PM9/4/01
From: Amy Austin glea...@purdue.edu

>You have to eat it with a fork. It does not come in pie-shaped slices.
>It is impossible to pick up. It has two tortillas instead of a crust.
>There's already a word for it in Spanish, too... Isn't it technically a
>tostada?

A tostada is a corn tortilla fried to crisp. If you put refried beans, lettuce,
cheese, tomatoes and chile on it, it becomes a Tostada Compuesta. The chalupas
my mother made were a tostada with a beany, meaty, spicy mix on it.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page; http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage
Last updated 04-15-01 with 65 pictures of Carlsbad Caverns "Big Room".

Bill Diamond

Sep 4, 2001, 6:45:32 PM9/4/01
Good old Shotgun Mosquito <joeyj...@yahoo.com> wrote in
alt.fan.cecil-adams back on 3 Sep 2001 22:59:43 -0500 that ...

>>>PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
>>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Absorbine, Sr
>
>BZZZT. Wrong, thanks for playing.
>
>http://www.absorbine-animal.com/products/musclecare_fr.htm
>
>Absorbine® Veterinary Liniment
>Absorbine® Veterinary Liniment Gel
>
>Absorbine has over 100 years of experience in making products to help tired
>or strained muscles feel better and recover fast from hard work or play.

Are you saying that Absorbine makes products to make your hog feel
good?

Bill
"You never know what is enough unless you
know what is more than enough." --William Blake

Joe Shimkus

Sep 4, 2001, 7:05:22 PM9/4/01
In article <tp9i1rb...@corp.supernews.com>,
"W. R. \"Gig\" Giacona" <wr.gi...@cox-internet.com> wrote:

> Boeing 666
>

> Whats with the lack of the 717 until Boeing consumed MD there wasn't one.
> 707, 727, 737, 747... but until Boeing renamed the MD-95 there was no 717.

I asked Boeing this same question a couple of years ago. There was
indeed a 717 or, rather, it's military counterpart. Boeing just never
made a civilian version of it.

- Joe

--
PGP Key (DH/DSS): http://www.shimkus.com/public_key.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 89B4 52DA CF10 EE03 02AD 9134 21C6 2A68 CE52 EE1A

Patrick McKinnion

Sep 4, 2001, 7:09:07 PM9/4/01
In article <040920010240563523%pat...@earthlink.net>, Patrick
McKinnion <pat...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <UjSk7.5804$Uf1.4...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> Karen Lingel, Penguinist <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:
>
> > Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
> >

> > PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED

> > Fresh-water taffy
>
> Let's see, off the top of my head........

<Snip>

Oh, and a few more.

Soup Train dog food
Disney's "Randy Rat"
Denny's Liver Skillet
Cup o' Chow Mein
Tofu Helper
Kibbles and Bytes
Extra-Crunchy Grape Nuts
DepressedO's cereal
Froot Noose cereal
Apple Jills
Quaker Oats Death cereal (Both regular and cinnamon flavoured)
Kelloggs Just Wrong cereal
Fluorescent Strobe Lights
Dribble Paint
Hudson River Bottled Water

And for the aircraft/air force nuts among us:

The QVC-135 transport aircraft

- Patrick McKinnion

--
"Brought to you by 'Ouchies', the sharp, prickly toy you bathe with...."
------------------
(http://home.earthlink.net/~patgund) ICQ# 5527565

Patrick McKinnion

Sep 4, 2001, 7:10:23 PM9/4/01
In article <20010904074102...@mb-fn.aol.com>, Just Me
<truecr...@aol.commiserate> wrote:

> >Special "A" though "K" cereals
>
> Oops... you went too far. There IS Special K cereal... I suspect you meant
> A through J.

Oops! Yeah, you're right, I ment Special A though J.

> Ketchup will heal the world

Regular, Green, or Purple ketchup?

Dana Carpender

Sep 4, 2001, 7:20:36 PM9/4/01

Patrick McKinnion wrote:

> In article <040920010240563523%pat...@earthlink.net>, Patrick
> McKinnion <pat...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <UjSk7.5804$Uf1.4...@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> > Karen Lingel, Penguinist <karen....@worldnet.att.net.nospam> wrote:
> >
> > > Everyone is welcome to contribute to the list of
> > >
> > > PRODUCTS THAT (APPARENTLY) FAILED
> > > Fresh-water taffy
> >
> > Let's see, off the top of my head........
>
> <Snip>
>
> Oh, and a few more.

<snip>

> Tofu Helper

Hah! Clearly you haven't been in a health food store lately. Lots of
Tofu Helper out there.

--
Dana W."It needs all the help it can get" Carpender

Boron Elgar

Sep 4, 2001, 7:31:20 PM9/4/01
On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 18:20:36 -0500, Dana Carpender <dcar...@kiva.net>
wrote:

>> Tofu Helper
>>

>Hah! Clearly you haven't been in a health food store lately. Lots of
>Tofu Helper out there.

Has anyone said Jell-P yet?

Asteroid Pie
Nestle Slo
Irish Winter or Russian Spring soap
Swiss Mister Hot Chocolate

Boron

Dana Carpender

Sep 4, 2001, 7:37:35 PM9/4/01

Numeral soup
Spaghetti-Ps
Soyaroni

And, of course, the non-Saturday Night Live non-alumni, Bethesda.

--
Dana W. Carpender

Asterbark

Sep 4, 2001, 7:39:19 PM9/4/01

Hint
Picthesaurus
Meaningful Pursuit
Handsaw Puzzles
Chutes and more chutes
Asparagusland
Tip the Waitron
Hungry Hungry Hummingbirds

Gary S. Callison

Sep 4, 2001, 7:57:02 PM9/4/01
John Seeliger (jsee...@prodigy.net) wrote:
: Radio for the deaf.

In my brief (high-school and college) radio career, inadvertant dead-air
of any significant duration was always followed by your best Announcer
Voice "The preceding has been brought to you by the Radio For The Deaf
Foundation. Thank you for your support. We now return to our normal
broadcast schedule."

--
Huey
(Not as bitchun a Radio Voice as Geno, but face it, lady, I'm ~younger~

Martin Ambuhl

Sep 4, 2001, 8:14:27 PM9/4/01
daniel gerard mcgrath wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 13:34:54 GMT, "John Seeliger"
> <jsee...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> >cross-posted to aue for food content
>
> No, _DON'T_! Food is NOT on-topic there!

Sneak in a reference to sheep and even Daniel should be happy. BTW,
discussion about cats is off-topic here: go to rec.games.bridge for cats
that type Usenet messages.

John H

Sep 5, 2001, 4:21:27 AM9/5/01
On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:53:10 GMT, "John Seeliger"
<jsee...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>rob...@bestweb.net wrote in article <tp9rd42...@corp.supernews.com>...
>> On 2001-09-04 pat...@earthlink.net said among many other things:
>>
>> >The "B" programming language
>>
>> It hasn't become too popular, but got around a little, and really was
>> predecessor to C. We discussed it here a few years ago. My recollection
>> from a letter in "Byte" was that it had a data structure called tables,
>that
>> allowed you to look up the index by the entry, in effect. Someone here
>told
>> me I was all wrong, but as you can see, the correction didn't stick while
>my
>> impression from "Byte" did.
>
>It is short for BCPL which is, IIRC, Basic Control Programming Language,
>which was a step above assembly. The control dealt with the flow of
>control in the language.
>
>So for failed products, how about:
>
>B language
>COMPLEX
>THIRD
>DESCARTES

Aural Basic?
--
John H
www.jfhopkin.com

GrapeApe

Sep 4, 2001, 8:52:55 PM9/4/01

>> >cross-posted to aue for food content
>>
>> No, _DON'T_! Food is NOT on-topic there!

Actually, it seems to be their secret agenda... nothing keeps them chatty like
a good food thread, because one regions idea of Chili is always at odds with
the other regions; it turns into a "match the prototype with the word" game.

Can you think of any other newsgroups with such a secret agenda? That is, an
apparently off-topic subject that they always welcome, even relish?

Boron Elgar

Sep 4, 2001, 9:16:21 PM9/4/01
On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 19:12:43 -0500,
radioGO-SPAM-...@yahoo.com wrote:

>Reusable toilet paper.

Well, I certainly concede. THAT was funny.

Boron

Alan Hamilton

Sep 4, 2001, 9:16:59 PM9/4/01
On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 18:16:53 -0400, Larry Palletti
<la...@palletti.com> wrote:

>Mercury Marquis de Sade
>Cadillac Coupe d'Etat

Ford Gelding
GM's Uranus line
--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

kay w

Sep 4, 2001, 9:40:09 PM9/4/01
Previously:

John:

>>Closed captioning for the blind.

Geno:
>I came up with this one several years ago ... They'd have to caption every
>program in braille. 'Way cool!

I can see it. Sort of like a stock ticker. Say, would that work?

kay w

Address munged. AOL isn't necessarily comatose, evidence to the contrary not
withstanding.

StarChaser_Tyger

Sep 4, 2001, 9:47:44 PM9/4/01
We get signal. What you say? It's hu...@interaccess.com (Gary S.
Callison),

>John Seeliger (jsee...@prodigy.net) wrote:
>: Radio for the deaf.
>
>In my brief (high-school and college) radio career, inadvertant dead-air
>of any significant duration was always followed by your best Announcer
>Voice "The preceding has been brought to you by the Radio For The Deaf
>Foundation. Thank you for your support. We now return to our normal
>broadcast schedule."

When that happened on one local station once, the DJ said it was
"Marcel Marceau's new record, 'Walking Against the Wind'"...
--
Visit the Furry Artist InFURmation Page! Contact information, which artists
do and don't want their work posted. http://web.tampabay.rr.com/starchsr/
Address no longer munged for the inconvienence of spammers.
(Yes, this really is me.)

Paul Guertin

Sep 4, 2001, 9:26:57 PM9/4/01
Dana Carpender <dcar...@kiva.net> wrote:

> Not to mention rhubarb flavored Kool-Aid.

I had a spinach-flavored popsicle in Japan once.

Paul Guertin
p...@sff.net

Asterbark

Sep 4, 2001, 9:56:44 PM9/4/01
Paul Guertin p...@sff.net wrote:

>Dana Carpender <dcar...@kiva.net> wrote:
>
>> Not to mention rhubarb flavored Kool-Aid.
>
>I had a spinach-flavored popsicle in Japan once.

I'd buy those, but probably easy enough to make them, or something like that.
Spinach was always my favorite, except for my aunt's recipe for spinach
brownies, which resemble fudge brownies in shape, texture, and presentation,
but did not have any fudge in them. May as well have, they tasted like hell.

If anyone's intrigued, I may be able to dig up the recipe from my mom, who has
never made them twice.

--
Aster
"The sun is warm as the day is long"

Greg Goss

Sep 4, 2001, 10:02:53 PM9/4/01
"osmium" <r124...@mediaone.net> wrote:

>"GrapeApe" <grap...@aol.comjunk> wrote in message
>> Model B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S Ford
>
>There was a model B and perhaps some of the others as well. I recall
>reading a biography of Ford and I think he used letters before the model T.
>But I come up empty on a sample letter.

My father's first vehicle was a Model A converted to pickup truck.

Greg Goss

Sep 4, 2001, 10:04:47 PM9/4/01
Amy Austin <glea...@purdue.edu> wrote:

>Spanish pizza? Hmmmm... That could be interesting. Is there such an
>animal (excluding the Mexican Pizza at Toxic Bell, which is neither
>Mexican nor pizza)?
The Boston Pizza "Sombrero" which has a large helping of refried
beans. It was gruesome when I bought it. (I have a stronger
curiosity than sense -- I should have been a cat)

It is loading more messages.