Re: Your guide to cancelled TV shows

Message has been deleted

Paul Ciszek

May 18, 2011, 9:40:34 AM5/18/11

In article <hgh7t6du7kafhg206...@4ax.com>,
Cindbear <cind...@phonehome.com> wrote:
>from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
>And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
>nothing for you here.
>
>CANCELED SHOWS, BY NETWORK:
>ABC
>'Off the Map'

Was this based on the movie of the same title? I loved the movie,
but turning it into a TV series would be a horrible idea.

S. Checker

May 18, 2011, 10:37:09 AM5/18/11
Cindbear <cind...@phonehome.com> wrote:
> from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
> And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
> nothing for you here.
>
> CANCELED SHOWS, BY NETWORK:
<snip>

> THE CW
> 'Life Unexpected'
> 'Smallville'
>
> I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
> Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?

Forget Hawaii 5-0, how does The CW still exist?
--
for they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with springs and gears and
perfect in every respect. And they lived with it, and on it, and under

Lesmond

May 18, 2011, 12:02:03 PM5/18/11
On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:20:38 -0400, Cindbear wrote:

>from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
>And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
>nothing for you here.
>

>FOX
>'Breaking In'

We started watching this a couple of weeks ago. We were rolling on the
floor, it's so funny. I said to my husband, "We like it. How long before
it's cancelled?" Lo and behold.

--
If there's a nuclear winter, at least it'll snow.

Bob

May 18, 2011, 3:48:18 PM5/18/11
On May 18, 10:37 am, spam...@gmail.com (S. Checker) wrote:

> > THE CW
> > 'Life Unexpected'
> > 'Smallville'

Whew! I was afraid that one would be kept going until Superman was on
Medicare.

> > I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
> > Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
>
> Forget Hawaii 5-0, how does The CW still exist?
> --

Continuous Wave. With about that much information content.

John Mc

May 18, 2011, 4:36:59 PM5/18/11
On 5/18/2011 9:20 AM, Cindbear wrote:
> from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
> And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
> nothing for you here.
>
> CANCELED SHOWS, BY NETWORK:
> ABC
> 'Better With You'
> 'Brothers& Sisters'
> 'Detroit 1-8-7'
> 'Mr. Sunshine'
> 'My Generation'
> 'No Ordinary Family'
> 'Off the Map'
> 'V'
>
> NBC
> 'America's Next Great Restaurant'
> 'The Cape'
> 'Chase'
> 'The Event'
> 'Friday Night Lights'
> 'Law& Order: LA'
> 'Outsourced'
> 'The Paul Reiser Show'
> 'Perfect Couples'
> 'School Pride'
>
> FOX
> 'Breaking In'
> 'The Chicago Code'
> 'Human Target'
> 'Lie to Me'
> 'Lone Star'
> 'Running Wilde'
> 'Traffic Light'
>
> CBS
> 'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior'
> 'The Defenders'
> 'Mad Love'
> 'Medium'
> '$#*! My Dad Says'

> THE CW
> 'Life Unexpected'
> 'Smallville'
>
> I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
> Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?

And ya' know what? I can't say I'll miss any of them. Though I will give
V kudos for going off with a bang.

Thanks for the list.

John Mc.

bill van

May 18, 2011, 5:24:38 PM5/18/11
In article <hgh7t6du7kafhg206...@4ax.com>,
Cindbear <cind...@phonehome.com> wrote:

> from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
> And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
> nothing for you here.
>
> CANCELED SHOWS, BY NETWORK:
> ABC
> 'Better With You'

> 'Brothers & Sisters'

> 'Detroit 1-8-7'
> 'Mr. Sunshine'
> 'My Generation'
> 'No Ordinary Family'
> 'Off the Map'
> 'V'
>
> NBC
> 'America's Next Great Restaurant'
> 'The Cape'
> 'Chase'
> 'The Event'
> 'Friday Night Lights'

> 'Law & Order: LA'

> 'Outsourced'
> 'The Paul Reiser Show'
> 'Perfect Couples'
> 'School Pride'
>
> FOX
> 'Breaking In'
> 'The Chicago Code'
> 'Human Target'
> 'Lie to Me'
> 'Lone Star'
> 'Running Wilde'
> 'Traffic Light'
>
> CBS
> 'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior'
> 'The Defenders'
> 'Mad Love'
> 'Medium'
> '$#*! My Dad Says'
>
> THE CW
> 'Life Unexpected'
> 'Smallville'

I'm happy to report I watched a total of about four episodes of all of
the above combined. Two of them were Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior,
which I was plugging for because of the presence of Forest Whitaker and
Janeane Garofolo. But Whitaker was as uncomfortable as I've ever seen
someone in a role, and Garofolo was so low-key as to make no difference.

bill

Lee Ayrton

May 18, 2011, 5:27:54 PM5/18/11
On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:20:38 -0400, Cindbear wrote:

> NBC
> 'America's Next Great Restaurant'
> 'The Cape'
> 'Chase'
> 'The Event'
> 'Friday Night Lights'
> 'Law & Order: LA'

I know someone who will be out of work because of the LOLA cancellation.

Message has been deleted

Snidely

May 18, 2011, 6:14:30 PM5/18/11
On May 18, 2:24 pm, bill van <bill...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote:

> I'm happy to report I watched a total of about four episodes of all of
> the above combined. Two of them were Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior,

I've watched 3-4 episodes of Detroit 1-8-7, mainly when it followed my
bread-and-circuses, but I was interested in the characters. I'm not
sure if there was anything tying stuff together; maybe I'll look at a
couple more.

I also watched most of the first season of Brothers & Sisters, but I'm
not sure who was Blake Carrington.

/dps

rroger

May 18, 2011, 6:20:31 PM5/18/11
Blake Carrington wasn't in Brothers & Sisters, he was the lead
character in the 80's prime time soap drama "Dynasty".

BillT...@sonnnic.net

May 18, 2011, 6:47:40 PM5/18/11
On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:20:38 -0400, Cindbear <cind...@phonehome.com>
wrote:

>from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
>And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
>nothing for you here.

Nope, can't do it. I am familiar/have heard of exactly zero of those
programs.

Snidely

May 18, 2011, 6:51:22 PM5/18/11

Hmmmm.

/dps

Snidely

May 18, 2011, 6:52:36 PM5/18/11
On May 18, 3:47 pm, BillTurl...@sonnnic.net wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:20:38 -0400, Cindbear <cindb...@phonehome.com>
> wrote:
>
> >fromhttp://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/

> >And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
> >nothing for you here.
>
> Nope, can't do it. I am familiar/have heard of exactly zero of those
> programs.

Well, now you know which ones you won't be missing the new episodes
of ....

/dps

bill van

May 18, 2011, 8:13:35 PM5/18/11
In article
<478561fd-4ddf-4976...@w10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 18, 2:24 pm, bill van <bill...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > I'm happy to report I watched a total of about four episodes of all of
> > the above combined. Two of them were Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior,
>
> I've watched 3-4 episodes of Detroit 1-8-7, mainly when it followed my
> bread-and-circuses, but I was interested in the characters. I'm not
> sure if there was anything tying stuff together; maybe I'll look at a
> couple more.

I saw an episode and a bit of Detroit 1-8-7, again because of the lead
actor. I thought Michael Imperioli did a good job, but the scripts were
standard policier material, and I lost track of the program.

bill

Snidely

May 18, 2011, 8:47:27 PM5/18/11
On May 18, 5:13 pm, bill van <bill...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote:

> I saw an episode and a bit of Detroit 1-8-7, again because of the lead
> actor. I thought Michael Imperioli did a good job, but the scripts were
> standard policier material, and I lost track of the program.

If you were to take me to Morton's, I *might* be able to tell the
difference from Sizzler.

/dps

Kajikit

May 18, 2011, 8:49:37 PM5/18/11
wrote:

>from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/

>And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
>nothing for you here.
>

>CANCELED SHOWS, BY NETWORK:
>ABC
>'Better With You'
>'Brothers & Sisters'
>'Detroit 1-8-7'
>'Mr. Sunshine'
>'My Generation'
>'No Ordinary Family'
>'Off the Map'
>'V'
>

>NBC
>'America's Next Great Restaurant'
>'The Cape'
>'Chase'
>'The Event'
>'Friday Night Lights'
>'Law & Order: LA'

>'Outsourced'
>'The Paul Reiser Show'
>'Perfect Couples'
>'School Pride'
>
>FOX
>'Breaking In'
>'The Chicago Code'
>'Human Target'
>'Lie to Me'
>'Lone Star'
>'Running Wilde'
>'Traffic Light'
>
>CBS
>'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior'
>'The Defenders'
>'Mad Love'
>'Medium'
>'$#*! My Dad Says'
>
>THE CW
>'Life Unexpected'
>'Smallville'
>

> I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
>Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?

The only show out of that entire list that we enjoyed watching was Lie
to Me... and we got tired of it halfway through last season because
their characterisation had gone completely over the top and it wasn't
remotely believable any more. A lot of those shows are sitcoms, and I
haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
pretty much universally dumb.

Mary Shafer

May 18, 2011, 8:54:53 PM5/18/11
On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:02:03 -0400 (EDT), "Lesmond"
<les...@verizon.net> wrote:

> We started watching this a couple of weeks ago. We were rolling on the
> floor, it's so funny. I said to my husband, "We like it. How long before
> it's cancelled?" Lo and behold.

My husband and I like and watch exactly one TV show that isn't news,
weather, or a sporting event. It wasn't cancelled. This has not been
our luck with a lot of previous shows.

Mary "'The Big Bang Theory'"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
reunite....@gmail.com or mil...@qnet.com
Visit my blog at http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/

Message has been deleted

dilbert firestorm

May 18, 2011, 9:53:54 PM5/18/11
On 05/18/2011 08:20 AM, Cindbear wrote:
> from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
> And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
> nothing for you here.
>
> CANCELED SHOWS, BY NETWORK:
> ABC
> 'Better With You'
> 'Brothers& Sisters'

> 'Detroit 1-8-7'
> 'Mr. Sunshine'
> 'My Generation'
> 'No Ordinary Family'
> 'Off the Map'
> 'V'
>
> NBC
> 'America's Next Great Restaurant'
> 'The Cape'
> 'Chase'
> 'The Event'
> 'Friday Night Lights'
> 'Law& Order: LA'

> 'Outsourced'
> 'The Paul Reiser Show'
> 'Perfect Couples'
> 'School Pride'
>
> FOX
> 'Breaking In'
> 'The Chicago Code'
> 'Human Target'
> 'Lie to Me'
> 'Lone Star'
> 'Running Wilde'
> 'Traffic Light'
>
> CBS
> 'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior'
> 'The Defenders'
> 'Mad Love'
> 'Medium'
> '$#*! My Dad Says'
>
> THE CW
> 'Life Unexpected'
> 'Smallville'
>
> I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
> Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
I liked V, gutsy attempt to re-image the show. I think this version was
better than the old "V".

The Event was another I liked.

why is Smallville on the list? Its not cancelled was it? I know it is
ending its 10 year run concluding with last episode this friday.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

BillT...@sonnnic.net

May 18, 2011, 10:07:23 PM5/18/11

Yes I don't.

bill van

May 19, 2011, 12:28:37 AM5/19/11
In article
<223c6430-6ba9-4afc...@e35g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:

Uh, I know Morton's and I've heard of Sizzler, though they don't operate
in Canada. But I'm totally whooshed as to what your post means in this
context.

bill

K_S_ONeill

May 19, 2011, 12:50:55 AM5/19/11
On May 18, 5:54 pm, Mary Shafer <reunite.gondw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:02:03 -0400 (EDT), "Lesmond"
>
> <lesm...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > We started watching this a couple of weeks ago.  We were rolling on the
> > floor, it's so funny.  I said to my husband, "We like it.  How long before
> > it's cancelled?"  Lo and behold.
>
> My husband and I like and watch exactly one TV show that isn't news,
> weather, or a sporting event.  It wasn't cancelled.  This has not been
> our luck with a lot of previous shows.
>
> Mary "'The Big Bang Theory'"

You might try "Community", The Girl likes BBT a lot and Community only
a little less. Though it might help that we sort of work at
Greendale.

--
Kevin

hpjeannie

May 19, 2011, 1:06:28 AM5/19/11
I still miss "The Charmings."

Jeannie

Lesmond

May 19, 2011, 9:00:57 AM5/19/11
On Wed, 18 May 2011 17:54:53 -0700, Mary Shafer wrote:

>On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:02:03 -0400 (EDT), "Lesmond"
><les...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> We started watching this a couple of weeks ago. We were rolling on the
>> floor, it's so funny. I said to my husband, "We like it. How long before
>> it's cancelled?" Lo and behold.
>
>My husband and I like and watch exactly one TV show that isn't news,
>weather, or a sporting event. It wasn't cancelled. This has not been
>our luck with a lot of previous shows.
>
>Mary "'The Big Bang Theory'"

We kinda stalled out with that one. We're somewhere in the middle of the
third season, I think, but haven't watched it in months. My son started
watching it at his friend's house and brought the first season DVD home. It
started out all right, but now I'm just too uncomfortable watching it with a
ten year old boy.

Dover Beach

May 19, 2011, 12:30:23 PM5/19/11
bill van <bil...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote in

Morton's is very high-end and Sizzler is very low-end. The quality of
the food is pretty different.

--
Dover

Hactar

May 19, 2011, 12:27:42 PM5/19/11
In article <billvan-FB078E...@news.shawcable.net>,

I think the gist was that if you expose him to two kinds of mediocrity,
he might be able to distinguish them.

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81
Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who

Snidely

May 19, 2011, 2:24:17 PM5/19/11
On May 19, 9:30 am, Dover Beach <moon.blanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> bill van <bill...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote innews:billvan-FB078E...@news.shawcable.net:
>

> > In article
> > <223c6430-6ba9-4afc-82c1-182a436fa...@e35g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,

> >  Snidely <snidely....@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> If you were to take me to Morton's, I *might* be able to tell the
> >> difference from Sizzler.
>
> > Uh, I know Morton's and I've heard of Sizzler, though they don't
> > operate in Canada. But I'm totally whooshed as to what your post means
> > in this context.
>
> Morton's is very high-end and Sizzler is very low-end.  The quality of
> the food is pretty different.

I be cultured ... and I can spell Taco Bell's "gordita", too!

/dps

Kajikit

May 19, 2011, 2:27:08 PM5/19/11
On Wed, 18 May 2011 21:35:35 -0400, Cindbear <cind...@phonehome.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 18 May 2011 20:49:37 -0400, Kajikit <kaj...@jagcon.com>
>wrote:

>> I haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
>>pretty much universally dumb.
>

>So tell me what foreign shows to watch. I watch everything around the
>globe, and I'm always looking for something good.

I don't know... ARE there any sitcoms that don't cater to the lowest
common denominator? John loves the IT Crowd (BBC) and it has its
moments...

Paul Madarasz

May 19, 2011, 2:33:08 PM5/19/11
On Wed, 18 May 2011 19:07:23 -0700, BillT...@sonnnic.net wrote,
perhaps among other things:

Me also, neither.

bill van

May 19, 2011, 2:43:03 PM5/19/11
In article <Xns9EEA6AE1097...@130.133.4.11>,
Dover Beach <moon.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, I gathered that. I just didn't know how he was applying it to the
conversation. Best guess is that he didn't need to hear my opinion
because he'll form his own, thank you very much. I'd rather have heard
what his opinion was. Not a big deal, though.

bill

Snidely

May 19, 2011, 3:37:17 PM5/19/11
On May 19, 11:43 am, bill van <bill...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote:
> In article <Xns9EEA6AE1097E4moonblanc...@130.133.4.11>,
>  Dover Beach <moon.blanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > bill van <bill...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote in
>
> > > In article
> > > <223c6430-6ba9-4afc-82c1-182a436fa...@e35g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,

> > > Uh, I know Morton's and I've heard of Sizzler, though they don't
> > > operate in Canada. But I'm totally whooshed as to what your post means
> > > in this context.
>
> > Morton's is very high-end and Sizzler is very low-end.  The quality of
> > the food is pretty different.
>
> Yes, I gathered that. I just didn't know how he was applying it to the
> conversation. Best guess is that he didn't need to hear my opinion
> because he'll form his own, thank you very much. I'd rather have heard
> what his opinion was. Not a big deal, though.

Your guess is wrong ... ane I hope Hactar is wrong, too, or there is
no reason for me to hope that someone will take me to Morton's some
day.

I was just using a "clever" way of referring to my plebian tastes,
which no doubt account for it being easier to please me with cop
shows. I'm not sure where I stand on medical shows ... I hardly ever
watched the last round of big hit meds ... ER or Chicago Hope or ...
but then, I skipped most of Dr Kildare, Marcus Welby, and Doogie
Howser. So if I burned out after the 2nd season of Grey's Anatomy, it
doesn't represent high standards as much as a lack of scenes in the
kitchen.

/dps "pasta and pesto, please"

BillT...@sonnnic.net

May 19, 2011, 4:12:31 PM5/19/11

>Grey's Anatomy,

grrrrr

rroger

May 19, 2011, 4:12:47 PM5/19/11
On May 19, 2:27 pm, Kajikit <kaji...@jagcon.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 21:35:35 -0400, Cindbear <cindb...@phonehome.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 18 May 2011 20:49:37 -0400, Kajikit <kaji...@jagcon.com>

> >wrote:
>
> >> I haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
> >>pretty much universally dumb.
>
> >So tell me what foreign shows to watch. I watch everything around the
> >globe, and I'm always looking for something good.
>
> I don't know... ARE there any sitcoms that don't cater to the lowest
> common denominator?

Frasier. BTW, the above is not really a bad thing. Sitcoms are
comedies that, therefore, are supposed to make one laugh. As long as
they do that, it doesn't, or at least shouldn't, matter how they do
it.

BillT...@sonnnic.net

May 19, 2011, 4:13:52 PM5/19/11
On Wed, 18 May 2011 21:27:54 +0000 (UTC), Lee Ayrton
<lay...@panix.nul> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:20:38 -0400, Cindbear wrote:
>
>> NBC
>> 'America's Next Great Restaurant'
>> 'The Cape'
>> 'Chase'
>> 'The Event'
>> 'Friday Night Lights'
>> 'Law & Order: LA'
>

>I know someone who will be out of work because of the LOLA cancellation.

::commiseration::
, but I know a lot of people who are out of work.

Greg Goss

May 19, 2011, 6:47:34 PM5/19/11
Kajikit <kaj...@jagcon.com> wrote:

>>from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/

>The only show out of that entire list that we enjoyed watching was Lie
>to Me... and we got tired of it halfway through last season because
>their characterisation had gone completely over the top and it wasn't
>remotely believable any more. A lot of those shows are sitcoms, and I
>haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
>pretty much universally dumb.

My wife still watches Smallville.

She also watches Two and a Half Men, which doesn't seem to be on that
list. Did it ever get officially cancelled, or is it still
"suspended" while they try to figure out how to rework the storyline
without the main star?
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Rick B.

May 19, 2011, 6:59:21 PM5/19/11
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in news:93ll07...@mid.individual.net:

Not cancelled. They're replacing Sheen with Ashton Kutcher.

Lee Ayrton

May 19, 2011, 7:47:43 PM5/19/11
On Thu, 19 May 2011 22:59:21 +0000, Rick B. wrote:

> Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in

>> She also watches Two and a Half Men, which doesn't seem to be on that
>> list. Did it ever get officially cancelled, or is it still "suspended"
>> while they try to figure out how to rework the storyline without the
>> main star?
>
> Not cancelled. They're replacing Sheen with Ashton Kutcher.

Yet another reason for me to not start watching TaaHM.

Lee Ayrton

May 19, 2011, 8:04:38 PM5/19/11

Thanks to RO Gov Chaffee blurting out that he wants to end tax incentives
for film production, Body Of Proof will be moving to LA for its second
season. Way to go, Linc.

Snidely

May 20, 2011, 12:31:30 AM5/20/11
On May 19, 1:12 pm, BillTurl...@sonnnic.net wrote:

> grrrrr

?????

/dps

Snidely

May 20, 2011, 12:32:27 AM5/20/11
On May 19, 11:24 am, Snidely <snidely....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I be cultured ... and I can spell Taco Bell's "gordita", too!

I meant to say "chalupa" ... the extra grilling makes a difference!

/dps

Hieronymus Agricola

May 20, 2011, 12:47:40 AM5/20/11
On Thu, 19 May 2011 21:31:30 -0700, Snidely wrote
(in article
<094ecb03-673b-4efc...@y19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>):

Bill is skeptical about Roswell.

BillT...@sonnnic.net

May 20, 2011, 1:13:05 AM5/20/11

You may or may not recall me & MC being outraged about a "hanging
plot" on G.A. a few years ago. We both, I think, pledged to never
speak of it again.

Snidely

May 20, 2011, 6:27:59 PM5/20/11
On May 19, 10:13 pm, BillTurl...@sonnnic.net wrote:

> recall me & MC

An in-band name!

Now for an album cover ... how about a 57 Pontiac erupting from the
fog on the Golden Gate Bridge?

The A side single from it would be "Hot Dogs and Marinara" or maybe "
Relish the Thrift".

/dps

rroger

May 20, 2011, 8:43:49 PM5/20/11
On May 20, 6:27 pm, Snidely <snidely....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 19, 10:13 pm, BillTurl...@sonnnic.net wrote:
>
> > recall me & MC
>
> An in-band name!

What's an "in-band"?

John Mc

May 20, 2011, 9:21:05 PM5/20/11
On 5/19/2011 6:47 PM, Greg Goss wrote:
> Kajikit<kaj...@jagcon.com> wrote:
>
>> >from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
>
>> The only show out of that entire list that we enjoyed watching was Lie
>> to Me... and we got tired of it halfway through last season because
>> their characterisation had gone completely over the top and it wasn't
>> remotely believable any more. A lot of those shows are sitcoms, and I
>> haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
>> pretty much universally dumb.
>
> My wife still watches Smallville.

So did I. Though to me everything went downhill when Michael Rosenbaum
left. Who's Superman without Lex Luthor. Just some clown in pajamas.

John Mc.

Les Albert

May 20, 2011, 9:30:48 PM5/20/11
On Fri, 20 May 2011 17:43:49 -0700 (PDT), rroger <raus...@aol.com>
wrote:

>> > recall me & MC

>> An in-band name!

All the members of the band have innies.

Les

Snidely

May 20, 2011, 10:15:20 PM5/20/11
On May 20, 6:30 pm, Les Albert <lalbe...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2011 17:43:49 -0700 (PDT), rroger <raust...@aol.com>

> wrote:

> >> An in-band name!
> >What's an "in-band"?
>
> All the members of the band have innies.

And no other control channel.

/dps

rroger

May 20, 2011, 10:21:37 PM5/20/11
?????

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

May 20, 2011, 10:50:58 PM5/20/11
Cindbear wrote:
> from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/

> And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
> nothing for you here.
>
> CANCELED SHOWS, BY NETWORK:
> ABC
> 'Better With You'

It was better than facing reality. For some reason I thought it was CBS.

> 'Brothers & Sisters'

OK, that was only watchable the first year or so.

> 'Detroit 1-8-7'
> 'Mr. Sunshine'
> 'My Generation'
> 'No Ordinary Family'
> 'Off the Map'
> 'V'

I don't even know what "my generation" was.

> NBC
> 'America's Next Great Restaurant'
> 'The Cape'
> 'Chase'
> 'The Event'
> 'Friday Night Lights'
> 'Law & Order: LA'

> 'Outsourced'
> 'The Paul Reiser Show'
> 'Perfect Couples'
> 'School Pride'

I can't see I know what any of these are. So what are they going to do
now, put Jay Leno at both 10 and 11:30?

> FOX
> 'Breaking In'
> 'The Chicago Code'

I thought that one might actually work.

> 'Human Target'
> 'Lie to Me'
> 'Lone Star'
> 'Running Wilde'
> 'Traffic Light'
>
> CBS
> 'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior'
> 'The Defenders'
> 'Mad Love'
> 'Medium'
> '$#*! My Dad Says'

That one too was better than facing reality, at least after BBT.

> THE CW
> 'Life Unexpected'
> 'Smallville'

Holy crap, that was still on?

> I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
> Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?

Beats me.

Xho

bill van

May 21, 2011, 2:26:37 AM5/21/11
In article <4dd72a21$0$11413$ed36...@nr5-q3a.newsreader.com>,
Xho Jingleheimerschmidt <xho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 'Smallville'
>
> Holy crap, that was still on?

Yeah, it's one of two SF-y series -- the other one is the Stargate
franchise -- that were produced in Vancouver and are ending at the same
time. Might actually be three, since V used to be produced here, but I'm
not sure if the last season or two were.

bill, didn't watch any of them, but hey, it's jobs

Hieronymus Agricola

May 21, 2011, 3:08:04 AM5/21/11
On Fri, 20 May 2011 19:21:37 -0700, rroger wrote
(in article
<67cf8e25-fda6-4293...@x3g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>):

The medium used to convey information is sometimes called a "channel". A
channel may be constrained to carry only some kinds of information. For
example, FM radio consists of channels that carry audio information, up to
about 15kHz. If you want to convey speech ove FM radio, that would be
"in-band"; that is, the frequencies that make up speech are within the 15kHz
bandwidth of FM radio. If you wanted to convey the sound of an ultrasonic dog
whistle, then you'd have to use some other medium than FM radio, because such
a sound contains frequencies higher than 15kHz; that is, they are
"out-of-band".

If a machine has a status light that is green when everything is working
properly and red when something's wrong, how can you tell if the status
circuitry is working properly? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Greg Goss

May 21, 2011, 4:48:33 AM5/21/11
rroger <raus...@aol.com> wrote:

I've lost the context here, and don't feel like chasing the thread up,
but I've heard the term from the days of analog transmissions.

When you dial a phone, the tones required to control the line used to
go through the same line you were listening on. "Blue Boxes" (black,
maybe other colours, too) sent extra control signals to take over some
circuits that you shouldn't have access to. But if the telco sends
the control information over the same line that they're routing your
call through, then it's hard to separate this. The control
information is "in" the same band as your voice call. When I lived in
rez, people were recording and playing back the coded tones that
indicated insertion of coins, to "pay" for long distance calls.

In the eighties and nineties, you could often see a flashing block in
one corner of the screen on network TV. There was a pattern of its
flashes and it indicated an upcoming commercial break where the local
station could insert its own commercials. This flashing block was an
"in band" signal. (though it was buried in the overscan on most TVs.)

This definition of "in band" doesn't seem to make much sense here, but
shrug. And in a world of digital signals, (No, not finger gestures)
the idea of in-band signalling is horrifying. Most such systems
include a control stream separate from the various content streams.

Greg Goss

May 21, 2011, 4:54:47 AM5/21/11
Hieronymus Agricola <fake@fake_email_r_us.com> wrote:

>For
>example, FM radio consists of channels that carry audio information, up to
>about 15kHz. If you want to convey speech ove FM radio, that would be
>"in-band"; that is, the frequencies that make up speech are within the 15kHz
>bandwidth of FM radio. If you wanted to convey the sound of an ultrasonic dog
>whistle, then you'd have to use some other medium than FM radio, because such
>a sound contains frequencies higher than 15kHz; that is, they are
>"out-of-band".

So the 22 KHz (?) control tone that separates the stereo "channels";
is that in-band or out-of-band?

>If a machine has a status light that is green when everything is working
>properly and red when something's wrong, how can you tell if the status
>circuitry is working properly? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Vote on it. Didn't the early computers have all circuits working in
triplicate and if a tube burned out, it got outvoted by the other two
(and turned a case light on that indicated it needed attention by one
of the tube jockeys.)

BillT...@sonnnic.net

May 21, 2011, 1:50:59 PM5/21/11

or... I'm in with the in-crowd...

Greg Goss

May 21, 2011, 3:08:49 PM5/21/11
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

>Hieronymus Agricola <fake@fake_email_r_us.com> wrote:
>>If a machine has a status light that is green when everything is working
>>properly and red when something's wrong, how can you tell if the status
>>circuitry is working properly? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
>
>Vote on it. Didn't the early computers have all circuits working in
>triplicate and if a tube burned out, it got outvoted by the other two
>(and turned a case light on that indicated it needed attention by one
>of the tube jockeys.)

Or, back on the QCIC, the old joke that if you're taking a Mormon
buddy fishing, invite two of them or else he'll drink all your beer.

Hieronymus Agricola

May 21, 2011, 5:12:26 PM5/21/11
On Sat, 21 May 2011 01:54:47 -0700, Greg Goss wrote
(in article <93pcuq...@mid.individual.net>):

It's a good thing those vote-counting circuits always worked!

Opus the Penguin

May 22, 2011, 12:40:13 AM5/22/11
Lee Ayrton (lay...@panix.nul) wrote:

> Thanks to RO Gov Chaffee blurting out that he wants to end tax
> incentives for film production, Body Of Proof will be moving to LA
> for its second season. Way to go, Linc.

I'm amazed that Body of Proof is going to have a second season. Is that
the show you were working on?

--
Opus the Penguin
The best darn penguin in all of Usenet

groo

May 22, 2011, 1:04:21 AM5/22/11
K_S_ONeill <uan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 18, 5:54 pm, Mary Shafer <reunite.gondw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:02:03 -0400 (EDT), "Lesmond"
>>
>> <lesm...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> > We started watching this a couple of weeks ago.  We were rolling on
> he
>> > floor, it's so funny.  I said to my husband, "We like it.  How long
> before
>> > it's cancelled?"  Lo and behold.
>>
>> My husband and I like and watch exactly one TV show that isn't news,
>> weather, or a sporting event.  It wasn't cancelled.  This has not bee
>> our luck with a lot of previous shows.
>>
>> Mary "'The Big Bang Theory'"
>
> You might try "Community", The Girl likes BBT a lot and Community only
> a little less. Though it might help that we sort of work at
> Greendale.

Do you have an Abed? I'd go to a community college if I could hang out
with Abed.

--
"I didn't realize rabbits were that flexible." - Opus T. Penguin, afca

groo

May 22, 2011, 1:19:16 AM5/22/11
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

Your description was quite excellent right up to the second to last
sentence. In band signalling isn't horrifying. Modern digital systems do
tend to use separate control streams, as you correctly state. They also
often use in-band signalling, such as start bits and stop bits, error
correction codes, etc.

Lee Ayrton

May 22, 2011, 8:50:43 AM5/22/11
On Sun, 22 May 2011 04:40:13 +0000, Opus the Penguin wrote:

> Lee Ayrton (lay...@panix.nul) wrote:
>
>> Thanks to RO Gov Chaffee blurting out that he wants to end tax
>> incentives for film production, Body Of Proof will be moving to LA for
>> its second season. Way to go, Linc.
>>

> I'm amazed that Body of Proof is going to have a second season. Is that
> the show you were working on?

Yep. Shot as RI for Philadelphia. It got good rating numbers, I don't
have the details but I'm guessing that they captured the Lifetime/
Desperate Housewives demographic that they were aiming for.

Right now I'm working on a movie about a lecherous teddy bear.

Kim

May 22, 2011, 9:10:31 AM5/22/11
On 5/18/2011 9:40 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
> In article<hgh7t6du7kafhg206...@4ax.com>,

> Cindbear<cind...@phonehome.com> wrote:
>>from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
>> And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
>> nothing for you here.
>>
>> CANCELED SHOWS, BY NETWORK:
>> ABC
>> 'Off the Map'
>
> Was this based on the movie of the same title? I loved the movie,
> but turning it into a TV series would be a horrible idea.

I don't know about the movie - but the TV show was kind of a cross
between Grey's Anatomy and Lost - the premise was take some doctor's and
put them on an Island.

Yeah, it sucked as bad as you would think.

--

Kim
*Every kid does not deserve a trophy. Winners deserve trophies and

Kim

May 22, 2011, 9:16:07 AM5/22/11
On 5/18/2011 9:20 AM, Cindbear wrote:

> I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
> Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?

The only shows I watched with any regularity on the list were "Lie to
Me" and LOLA. I thought Lie to Me was cancelled a while ago, and LOLA -
well they killed off Skeet a little bit ago and I haven't watched it since.

Bastards.

rroger

May 22, 2011, 9:33:37 AM5/22/11
On May 22, 9:16 am, Kim <darwinexceptiontakethis...@verizon.net>
wrote:

> On 5/18/2011 9:20 AM, Cindbear wrote:
>

> >   I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
> > Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
>
> The only shows I watched with any regularity on the list were "Lie to
> Me" and LOLA. I thought Lie to Me was cancelled a while ago, and LOLA -
> well they killed off Skeet a little bit ago and I haven't watched it since.
>
> Bastards.

Oh my god they killed Skeet...you bastards!
--
R.
Johnny Mathis plus Roy Orbison equals Arron Neville

Opus the Penguin

May 22, 2011, 10:18:03 AM5/22/11
Lee Ayrton (lay...@panix.nul) wrote:

> On Sun, 22 May 2011 04:40:13 +0000, Opus the Penguin wrote:
>
>> Lee Ayrton (lay...@panix.nul) wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to RO Gov Chaffee blurting out that he wants to end tax
>>> incentives for film production, Body Of Proof will be moving to
>>> LA for its second season. Way to go, Linc.
>>>

>> I'm amazed that Body of Proof is going to have a second season.
>> Is that the show you were working on?
>
> Yep. Shot as RI for Philadelphia.

And very well shot it was. Good lighting. Nice camera work. No cables
in frame.

> It got good rating numbers,

That's what surprises me. The first episode was so moldy and
derivative with such cliche characters that Mrs P and I didn't give
it a second chance. It was as though the writers saw Rizzoli and
Isles and thought they were seeing hot new fresh ideas. So they threw
out the Rizzoli character and started their own show.

> I don't have the details but I'm guessing that they captured the
> Lifetime/ Desperate Housewives demographic that they were aiming
> for.
>
> Right now I'm working on a movie about a lecherous teddy bear.

I suppose that must have its rewards as well.

Paul Ciszek

May 22, 2011, 11:39:24 AM5/22/11

In article <irb20h$8p0$1...@dont-email.me>,

Kim <darwinexcepti...@verizon.net> wrote:
>On 5/18/2011 9:40 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
>> In article<hgh7t6du7kafhg206...@4ax.com>,
>> Cindbear<cind...@phonehome.com> wrote:
>>>from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
>>> And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
>>> nothing for you here.
>>>
>>> CANCELED SHOWS, BY NETWORK:
>>> ABC
>>> 'Off the Map'
>>
>> Was this based on the movie of the same title? I loved the movie,
>> but turning it into a TV series would be a horrible idea.
>
>I don't know about the movie - but the TV show was kind of a cross
>between Grey's Anatomy and Lost - the premise was take some doctor's and
>put them on an Island.

OK, that has nothing to do with the indie movie that I liked. Thank
goodness.

BillT...@sonnnic.net

May 22, 2011, 4:41:53 PM5/22/11