Sodometeor

Howard

Sep 25, 2021, 11:49:02 PM9/25/21
There is a buzz over the recently announced theory that the story of Sodom
may have been inspired by the destruction of the ancient settlement of Tall
el-Hammam by a Tunguska-like event:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/sep-25-bronze-age-town-destroyed-by-meteor-
global-warming-makes-animals-shapeshift-and-more-1.6187428/ancient-
jordanian-town-destroyed-by-a-meteor-blast-may-have-inspired-biblical-
stories-scientists-say-1.6187436

https://tinyurl.com/2nkwps6x

I'd want to see more evidence from nearby excavations, but it definitely
sounds worth exploring.

One thing I'm wondering about is that Tunguska doesn't seem to have shown
exactly the same kind of destruction, but I could easily be missing
something.

Mark Brader

Sep 26, 2021, 2:42:11 AM9/26/21
"Howard":
> There is a buzz over the recently announced theory that the story of Sodom
> may have been inspired by the destruction of the ancient settlement of Tall
> el-Hammam by a Tunguska-like event:
>
> https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/sep-25-bronze-age-town-destroyed-by-meteor-
> global-warming-makes-animals-shapeshift-and-more-1.6187428/ancient-
> jordanian-town-destroyed-by-a-meteor-blast-may-have-inspired-biblical-
> stories-scientists-say-1.6187436
>
> https://tinyurl.com/2nkwps6x

> ...One thing I'm wondering about is that Tunguska doesn't seem to have
> shown exactly the same kind of destruction, but I could easily be missing
> something.

Not all meteors are made of the same stuff, nor are they the same size,
nor do they arrive at the same speed. The "kind of destruction" could
depend on what altitude the thing exploded at and how fast it was moving.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It is difficult to make predictions,
m...@vex.net | especially about the future." --Danish saying

Boron Elgar

Sep 26, 2021, 9:39:15 AM9/26/21
On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 03:49:00 -0000 (UTC), Howard <how...@yaooho.com>
wrote:
The article cited refers back to a journal entry, giving the names and
affiliations of those writing it up.

The journal offers up the following, which are two crocks of religious
shite masquerading as legit unis - at least to my brief digging, but
make Randi seem like a trusing soul/

"The project is under the aegis of the School of Archaeology, Veritas
International University, Santa Ana, CA, and the College of
Archaeology, Trinity Southwest University, Albuquerque, NM"

Veritas International University - Veritas International University
Search domain viu.ves.eduhttps://viu.ves.edu
Veritas International University (VIU) is an accredited non-profit
501(c)(3) religious corporation with its own Board of Directors, and
without affiliation to any particular church organization,
denomination, or another institution.

Trinity Southwest University
Trinity Southwest University is an unaccredited evangelical Christian
institution of higher education with a campus in Albuquerque, New
Mexico

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 26, 2021, 2:33:33 PM9/26/21
Maybe so but some of the scince bits look legit (i.e. some kind of shock from the southwest)

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Boron Elgar

Sep 26, 2021, 4:03:13 PM9/26/21
On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 19:33:32 +0100, "Kerr-Mudd, John"
<ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 09:39:14 -0400
>Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 03:49:00 -0000 (UTC), Howard <how...@yaooho.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >There is a buzz over the recently announced theory that the story of
>> >Sodom may have been inspired by the destruction of the ancient
>> >settlement of Tall el-Hammam by a Tunguska-like event:
>> >
>> >https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/sep-25-bronze-age-town-destroyed-by-meteor-
>> >global-warming-makes-animals-shapeshift-and-more-1.6187428/ancient-
>> >jordanian-town-destroyed-by-a-meteor-blast-may-have-inspired-biblical-
>> >stories-scientists-say-1.6187436
>> >
>> >https://tinyurl.com/2nkwps6x

>> Mexico
>
>Maybe so but some of the scince bits look legit (i.e. some kind of shock from the southwest)

I found the topic fascinating, the write up interesting- I only backed
off this way when I checked on the credentials.

Besides, broken clock and all that.....

Howard

Sep 26, 2021, 11:42:09 PM9/26/21
Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote

> The journal offers up the following, which are two crocks of religious
> shite masquerading as legit unis - at least to my brief digging, but
> make Randi seem like a trusing soul/
>
> "The project is under the aegis of the School of Archaeology, Veritas
> International University, Santa Ana, CA, and the College of
> Archaeology, Trinity Southwest University, Albuquerque, NM"

I read one piece online saying that there are fundies who are actually
unhappy with this because the dating is off by enough centuries to be out
of line with their calculations for when the destruction of Sodom "really"
took place. I think it's sort of like some get mad when evidence of damage
to walls at Jericho doesn't match up with a total collapse via trumpet.

Boron Elgar

Sep 27, 2021, 8:30:24 AM9/27/21
On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 03:42:07 -0000 (UTC), Howard <how...@yaooho.com>
wrote:
Or like the results those Cyber Ninjas out in Arizona came up with. A
fundie with orange hair said their numbers don't match up with a total
collapse via trumpet - and bamboo fibers.