Umscribe: Prince Philip

Jenny Telia

Apr 9, 2021, 12:26:57 PM4/9/21

Good innings at 99. Straight-shooting member of the British Royal
family. Wasn't too keen on Fuzzy-wuzzies.

Les Albert

Apr 10, 2021, 2:25:50 PM4/10/21
On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 18:26:54 +0200, Jenny Telia <jnyt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Good innings at 99. Straight-shooting member of the British Royal
>family. Wasn't too keen on Fuzzy-wuzzies.

A straight-shooter, but he had a strange sense of humor. Here is a
selection from the Washington Post article at
https://tinyurl.com/3ru37j34

During his long life in a very public role, it’s hard to think of a
group of people he did not offend — at home or abroad.
Here are some of his more notorious comments:

During a 1986 visit to China, he told a British student: “If you stay
here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes.”

During a trip to Canada in 1976: “We don’t come here for our health.
We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves.”

To residents of the Cayman Islands, he said: “Aren’t most of you
descended from pirates?”

During a trip to a Bangladeshi youth club in central London in 2002:
“So who’s on drugs here? … He looks as if he’s on drugs.”

During a 2002 visit to Australia, he asked a group of Indigenous
Australians: “Do you still throw spears at each other?”

On a 1963 trip to Paraguay, he told military dictator General Alfredo
Stroessner, “It’s a pleasure to be in a country that isn’t ruled by
its people.”

When he met Nigeria’s president, who was wearing traditional robes, he
declared: “You look like you are ready for bed.”

On a visit to north London, he asked a disabled man on a mobility
scooter: “How many people have you knocked over this morning on that
thing?”

At a reception at Buckingham Palace, he asked Stoke-on-Trent lawmaker
Joan Walley what area she represented. When she said “Stoke,” the duke
replied: “Ghastly place, isn’t it?”

On his daughter, Princess Anne: “If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she
isn’t interested.”

Les

Michael Trew

Apr 10, 2021, 11:14:47 PM4/10/21
Hahaha... those are my favorite kind of people. That's someone that I'd
get along with. I laugh off the "PC" people.

Jenny Telia

Apr 11, 2021, 11:32:58 AM4/11/21
To add to those, his affectionate nicknames for the Queen were 'sausage'
and 'cabbage' - both references to her German ancestry.

I suspect the Washington Post article contains only a shortened,
publishable list of his non-PC quips.

Good for him. Too many namby-pamby lilly-livered liberals mincing around
these days, espousing liberal views.

Boron Elgar

Apr 11, 2021, 1:21:37 PM4/11/21
On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 17:32:56 +0200, Jenny Telia <jnyt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 10/04/2021 20:25, Les Albert wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 18:26:54 +0200, Jenny Telia <jnyt...@gmail.com>

>> On his daughter, Princess Anne: “If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she
>> isn’t interested.”
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>

>To add to those, his affectionate nicknames for the Queen were 'sausage'
>and 'cabbage' - both references to her German ancestry.
>
>I suspect the Washington Post article contains only a shortened,
>publishable list of his non-PC quips.
>
>Good for him. Too many namby-pamby lilly-livered liberals mincing around
>these days, espousing liberal views.

Yeah, and the lily-livered liberal press is being so kind, not making
a big thing about all the Nazis in his family.

Questor

Apr 13, 2021, 2:51:25 PM4/13/21
On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 17:32:56 +0200, Jenny Telia <jnyt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 10/04/2021 20:25, Les Albert wrote:
>>On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 18:26:54 +0200, Jenny Telia <jnyt...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>>Good innings at 99. Straight-shooting member of the British Royal
>>>family. Wasn't too keen on Fuzzy-wuzzies.
>>
>>A straight-shooter, but he had a strange sense of humor. Here is a
>>selection from the Washington Post article at
>>https://tinyurl.com/3ru37j34
>
>Good for him. Too many namby-pamby lilly-livered liberals mincing around
>these days, espousing liberal views.

That's certainly a collection of trigger phrases, but it doesn't seem to have
any meaning beyond you not liking liberals.

Without getting into the specifics of this instance, shouldn't we expect more
from our leaders? Of course they're human too, however because of their
position they have a greater responsibility to model better behavior. Not to be
clueless, tone deaf, insensitive, or condescending. Is it so hard to treat
others in a respectful manner, even if it's only for the cameras? Think what
you will, say what you like behind closed doors, but since when has saying
insulting things to people's faces become an admirable trait?

--
All along the bow line we sang that melody, like all tough sailors do
when they're far away at sea

Michael Trew

Apr 16, 2021, 10:33:43 PM4/16/21
Disagree. I'd rather hear what people really think, personally, rather
than wonder what they say behind closed doors. Just be up-front.

Beaver Fever

Apr 17, 2021, 10:44:31 PM4/17/21
On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 11:51:25 AM UTC-7, Questor wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 17:32:56 +0200, Jenny Telia <jnyt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 10/04/2021 20:25, Les Albert wrote:
> >>
> >>A straight-shooter, but he had a strange sense of humor. Here is a
> >>selection from the Washington Post article at
> >>https://tinyurl.com/3ru37j34
> >
> >Good for him. Too many namby-pamby lilly-livered liberals mincing around
> >these days, espousing liberal views.
> That's certainly a collection of trigger phrases, but it doesn't seem to have
> any meaning beyond you not liking liberals.

My favorite word in the collection of trigger phrases was fuzzy-wuzzy but it's been a long time since I heard that one.

Beaver Fever

Apr 17, 2021, 10:46:17 PM4/17/21
On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 9:26:57 AM UTC-7, Jenny Telia wrote:
> Good innings at 99. Straight-shooting member of the British Royal
> family. Wasn't too keen on Fuzzy-wuzzies.

I never heard of this guy, why didn't England have a king? And take a walk down Santa Monica Bl at 2am if you wanna see some real queens.

Les Albert

Apr 18, 2021, 2:17:30 PM4/18/21
It's from a Senryu, a Japanese form of short poetry similar to haiku
but different:

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear.
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy,
Was he?

Les

Beaver Fever

Apr 18, 2021, 7:01:39 PM4/18/21
That deserves a Pulitzer

Michael Trew

Apr 18, 2021, 7:08:58 PM4/18/21
Because he died in the 1950's

Beaver Fever

Apr 19, 2021, 2:00:31 AM4/19/21
Who you think's gonna die next, Queen Elizabeth or Prince Charles?

Tim Wright

Apr 19, 2021, 8:24:12 AM4/19/21
I think Liz doesn't want Chuck to be king and she's going to hang in
there till he kicks it.

Boron Elgar

Apr 19, 2021, 1:06:26 PM4/19/21
On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 07:24:04 -0500, Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
If there is anything genetic about longevity, that ain't gonna work.

Questor

Apr 19, 2021, 3:32:48 PM4/19/21
There's a big difference between when an acquaintance, relative, or cow-orker
spouts off and when it's the high-ranking representative of the state. I think
there's a different standard of behavior and rightly so. People in positions of
power and authority at any level of government have a greater responsbility --
to put it simply -- not to be a jerk when acting in their official capacity.

This theme of speaking one's mind versus being more circumspect has long been
dealt with in literature. Moliere's "The Misanthrope" is one famous example
that comes to mind.

--
"Whaddaya got?" "Chili with beans."
"What else you got?" "Chili without beans."

Michael Trew

Apr 20, 2021, 12:33:04 AM4/20/21
Haha, I've joked about that before... I wonder if Charles is pissed that
she's still going... lol

Shucks - the queen's mother made it to 103 - didn't she? Could be
another decade yet!

Michael Trew

Apr 20, 2021, 12:34:18 AM4/20/21
That is a fair point. Another good example would be to take Donald
Trump into consideration. He has no filter what-so-ever... talk about
cringe-worthy.

Jenny Telia

Apr 22, 2021, 6:13:26 AM4/22/21
On 13/04/2021 20:53, Questor wrote:

> Without getting into the specifics of this instance, shouldn't we expect more
> from our leaders? Of course they're human too, however because of their
> position they have a greater responsibility to model better behavior. Not to be
> clueless, tone deaf, insensitive, or condescending. Is it so hard to treat
> others in a respectful manner, even if it's only for the cameras? Think what
> you will, say what you like behind closed doors, but since when has saying
> insulting things to people's faces become an admirable trait?

Since the time that those leaders adopted the attitude that lying,
cheating and blatantly ignoring facts is a normal thing? Or were you
sleeping throughout Trump's presidency? (I'm guessing that you're an
American. )

Questor

Apr 22, 2021, 4:05:26 PM4/22/21
That was what is known as a rhetorical question. Of course the answer is that
insulting people has never become an admirable trait. The fact that Trump
engaged in that behavior and was admired by his followers for it in no way
legitimatizes it or makes it acceptable.

--
Some people listen, then say we're whack, but if they miss the show they
get a heart attack

Jenny Telia

Apr 24, 2021, 6:12:02 AM4/24/21
The fact that Trump is still considered as a possible candidate for
Republicans in 2024 says otherwise. Politics based on misinformation
(and cunts like Trump) is the 'new normal' for Americans. Let's hope the
meme does not cross the Atlantic anytime soon.

Boron Elgar

Apr 24, 2021, 9:10:31 AM4/24/21
On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 12:12:00 +0200, Jenny Telia <jnyt...@gmail.com>
Nothing new about this, nor is it unique to the US.

Questor

Apr 24, 2021, 2:18:14 PM4/24/21
The fact that a behavior is widely practiced or admired in some areas does not
necessarily make it acceptable. Your 'new normal' only applies to an
over-represented fraction of Americans. 81 million voters in America thought
otherwise.

--
It's always darkest before the other shoe drops.

Jenny Telia

Apr 26, 2021, 4:14:24 AM4/26/21
I'm sorry, but you cannot sweep 74,222,958 Trump voters under the
carpet and get away with that last statement. Roughly every other person
you bump in the streets of USoA is a <expl*t!ve d!mwit>

No Name

Apr 27, 2021, 1:10:16 PM4/27/21
::like:: (your statement, not T)

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

May 20, 2021, 12:32:14 PM5/20/21
On 4/9/21 12:26 PM, Jenny Telia wrote:

> Good innings at 99. Straight-shooting member of the British Royal
> family. Wasn't too keen on Fuzzy-wuzzies.

Was that his nickname for her maj?

Jenny Telia

May 21, 2021, 11:44:15 AM5/21/21
'Cabbage' and 'sausage', because of her maj's German origins (look up
'Sauerkraut').