insurance animals

Questor

Jul 13, 2021, 3:30:24 PM7/13/21

What is it with regard to insurance ads and animals? I count no fewer than four
insurance companies with current television ad campaigns that feature talking
and/or anthropomorphic animals. I know companies have long been using some sort
of animal mascots in their branding and ads, but this seems to be a trend.

--
And if you should drop dead tonight then they won't have to ask you twice

ansaman

Jul 13, 2021, 3:46:50 PM7/13/21
On 7/13/2021 3:30 PM, Questor wrote:
> What is it with regard to insurance ads and animals? I count no fewer than four
> insurance companies with current television ad campaigns that feature talking
> and/or anthropomorphic animals. I know companies have long been using some sort
> of animal mascots in their branding and ads, but this seems to be a trend.

Same thing with drug commercials and cartoon characters.
It is designed to be remembered for the characters or
elicit a positive response. I bet you remember the
Budweiser Frogs and they have been off the air a long time.

My favorite was Zoloft and the little blob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twhvtzd6gXA

I even lampooned him on the web (I can retrieve
it if you want to see):

"I am sad because I have no legs and I have
rubbed all the skin from the bottom of my body.
I am in constant pain and want to die."

--
**The AnsaMan**

In a recent self-evaluation:
"One of the greatest minds
produced since the invention
of the electric nose picker!"

Howard

Jul 13, 2021, 7:56:34 PM7/13/21
use...@only.tnx (Questor) wrote

> What is it with regard to insurance ads and animals? I count no fewer
> than four insurance companies with current television ad campaigns
> that feature talking and/or anthropomorphic animals. I know companies
> have long been using some sort of animal mascots in their branding and
> ads, but this seems to be a trend.

The geckko and duck get a lot of airplay, but so do Flo and Jake.
Animals are definitely more used in insurance ads than home security
ads, but probably not more than cereal ads.

There are a lot of articles like this which explain why advertisers use
animals, but they tend not to explain why others don't.

https://hoffmanyork.com/news/3-reasons-to-add-animals-to-your-
advertising

I would guess there is a reason why Allstate and Geico went different
ways, but I'm at a loss as to what those reasons are.

Bob

Jul 14, 2021, 9:39:39 AM7/14/21
On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 3:30:24 PM UTC-4, Questor wrote:

> What is it with regard to insurance ads and animals? I count no fewer

Oh. I thought this was going to be about spare animals you'd keep in case your primary ones died.
I guess the insurers are trying to get people to confuse them with each other: "the one with the funny animal".

Michael Trew

Jul 14, 2021, 11:26:33 AM7/14/21
LOL my first thought was something along those lines, or insurance for
animals.

Questor

Jul 14, 2021, 3:41:41 PM7/14/21
That would be the legendary "always mount a scatch monkey."

--
Your mouth is made up but your mind is undone

Questor

Jul 14, 2021, 3:42:08 PM7/14/21
On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:46:47 -0400, ansaman <ans...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 7/13/2021 3:30 PM, Questor wrote:
>> What is it with regard to insurance ads and animals? I count no fewer than four
>> insurance companies with current television ad campaigns that feature talking
>> and/or anthropomorphic animals. I know companies have long been using some sort
>> of animal mascots in their branding and ads, but this seems to be a trend.
>
>Same thing with drug commercials and cartoon characters.
>It is designed to be remembered for the characters or
>elicit a positive response. I bet you remember the
>Budweiser Frogs and they have been off the air a long time.

Tony the Tiger came to mind as an earlier, prominent example. I am not a
student of advertising history, and I have little doubt that animals have been
used as long as there have been print ads. But when I saw the fourth insurance
company using an animal in their television commercials -- and as a testament
to its effectiveness, I can't even recall their name -- it sparked my comment.

"So, you want to start an insurance company. Great. Have you picked your
animal yet?"

--
Cherish worldly thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze
'Cause thinking and drinking are all I have today