It's a miracle I exist

Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored thing )

Sep 3, 2010, 7:40:51 AM9/3/10
It’s a miracle that I’m even here.

One of my relatives is into genealogy. I don’t care enough to look up
stuff like that myself. But I do care enough to read a one page
summary she printed out it the font was pretty big. It was, so I did.

It turns out my earliest ancestor in this country came over from Wales
(which was spelled “whales”. I’m pretty sure that was just a spelling
mistake. I doubt I descended from huge sea mammals. At least not that
directly.) in the 1660’s.

His name was Nimrod Johnson. A lot of the stuff I write here is a
total lie. (I wasn’t really one of the fly girls on “In Living
Color’), but I’m not making that up. The poor guy was really named
Nimrod Johnson.

I shouldn’t even be here. What are the odds that someone with a name
like that would be able find someone to procreate with? His wife had a
normal name, Polly, so it wasn’t like her name was “Smelly Cow
Droppings” and the best she could do would be a man named Nimrod.

Apparently he was a cooper. That means he was barrel maker. So Nimrod
probably wasn’t rich enough to compensate for his name.

All these years whenever people called me a nimrod I assumed they
were just insulting me. Turns out they were all genealogy buffs.

It’s dumb that the word cooper means “barrel maker”, by the way. A
cooper should be someone who raises chickens. It would make more
sense, but I guess it’s too late to do anything about that now.

Woward Holy Hail

Sep 3, 2010, 9:38:08 AM9/3/10
"Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com:

> It’s a miracle that I’m even here.
>

> It turns out my earliest ancestor in this country came over from Wales
> (which was spelled “whales”. I’m pretty sure that was just a spelling
> mistake. I doubt I descended from huge sea mammals. At least not that
> directly.) in the 1660’s.
>
> His name was Nimrod Johnson. A lot of the stuff I write here is a
> total lie. (I wasn’t really one of the fly girls on “In Living
> Color’), but I’m not making that up. The poor guy was really named
> Nimrod Johnson.
>
> I shouldn’t even be here. What are the odds that someone with a name
> like that would be able find someone to procreate with?

When people were arguing about whether Bugs Bunny saying Maroon was a Mel
Blanc goofy talk thing or a reference to a group of Africans, I looked up
Maroon in Google and saw people claiming that Nimrod wasn't considered an
insult until Bugs Bunny starting calling Elmer Fudd a nimrod in a sarcastic
tone when Elmer was bumping around with his shotgun. Or rifle. Whatever
that thing was that Bugs tied into knots so that it blew up in Elmer's
face. So unless Nimrod Johnson had bad luck hunting rabbits, I think
you're not such a miracle, at least on that point.

Richard R. Hershberger

Sep 3, 2010, 10:07:21 AM9/3/10
On Sep 3, 9:38 am, Woward Holy Hail <wowardholyh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "Tony Myerswww.sedatedape.com:

"And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth. He
was a mighty hunter before the LORD: wherefore it is said, Even as
Nimrod the mighty hunter before the LORD." Genesis 10: 8-9

In other words, Nimrod was so kick-ass that comparing someone to him
was a compliment. Sort of like comparing someone today to Michael
Jordan.

The Bugs Bunny argument is that Bugs was being sarcastic, because
Elmer Fudd so clearly was not a great hunter. The Biblical reference
was obscure enough that this was misinterpreted as "Nimrod" being a
general term of derision. Unfortunately for this lovely story, there
are examples of derisive "nimrod" which predate the cartoons. See
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19990507

As for Tony's ancestor, there was a common pattern among 17th century
English Protestants of using Old Testament names. With a few notable
exceptions (e.g. "David"), Old Testament names were uncommon among
Christians before the Reformation. Nearly every Old Testament name
(and some words which were misunderstood to be names) was used at some
point. Most never became common, if only because there are so many,
but all sorts of such names pop up in family trees.

Richard R. Hershberger

John Hatpin

Sep 3, 2010, 10:19:31 AM9/3/10
Woward Holy Hail wrote:

Plus, it's not an insult outside of the USA, as far as I know. I've
never heard it used that way elsewhere.
--
John Hatpin

Woward Holy Hail

Sep 3, 2010, 11:41:41 AM9/3/10
"Richard R. Hershberger" <rrh...@acme.com> wrote

> The Bugs Bunny argument is that Bugs was being sarcastic, because
> Elmer Fudd so clearly was not a great hunter. The Biblical reference
> was obscure enough that this was misinterpreted as "Nimrod" being a
> general term of derision. Unfortunately for this lovely story, there
> are examples of derisive "nimrod" which predate the cartoons. See
> http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19990507

I looked at that page and a few others and didn't see what those examples
were. Any idea?

I'm curious if there's any more on how it became an insult.

HVS

Sep 3, 2010, 11:53:38 AM9/3/10
On 03 Sep 2010, Richard R. Hershberger wrote

> As for Tony's ancestor, there was a common pattern among 17th century
> English Protestants of using Old Testament names. With a few notable
> exceptions (e.g. "David"), Old Testament names were uncommon among
> Christians before the Reformation. Nearly every Old Testament name
> (and some words which were misunderstood to be names) was used at some
> point.

Do you think "Ebenezer" was one of the misunderstood ones? (FWIW, I always
assumed that one was used in the full knowledge of the reference.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Greg Goss

Sep 3, 2010, 12:21:33 PM9/3/10
<sedat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>It turns out my earliest ancestor ... His name was Nimrod Johnson.
> ... I’m not making that up. The poor guy was really named

>Nimrod Johnson.
>
>I shouldn’t even be here. What are the odds that someone with a name
>like that would be able find someone to procreate with?

>All these years whenever people called me a nimrod I assumed they

>were just insulting me. Turns out they were all genealogy buffs.

Nimrod was a famous hunter in the Bible. I'm not sure if "nimrod =
idiot" is any older than Bugs Bunny.

>It’s dumb that the word cooper means “barrel maker”, by the way. A
>cooper should be someone who raises chickens. It would make more
>sense, but I guess it’s too late to do anything about that now.

A guy who raises chickens would be a "fowler".
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Les Albert

Sep 3, 2010, 12:37:57 PM9/3/10
On Sep 3, 7:19 am, John Hatpin
<RemoveThisjfhop...@gmailAndThisToo.com> wrote:
> Woward Holy Hail wrote:

> > When people were arguing about whether Bugs Bunny saying Maroon was a Mel
> > Blanc goofy talk thing or a reference to a group of Africans, I looked up
> > Maroon in Google and saw people claiming that Nimrod wasn't considered an
> > insult until Bugs Bunny starting calling Elmer Fudd a nimrod in a sarcastic
> > tone when Elmer was bumping around with his shotgun.  Or rifle.  Whatever
> > that thing was that Bugs tied into knots so that it blew up in Elmer's
> > face.  So unless Nimrod Johnson had bad luck hunting rabbits, I think
> > you're not such a miracle, at least on that point.

> Plus, it's not an insult outside of the USA, as far as I know. I've
> never heard it used that way elsewhere.

It's unknown outside of the USA because of the origin as an insult.
It dates to the time, not so long ago, before Humble Oil disappeared
as a brand name around 1966. Humble expanded very rapidly beginning
with the time it was founded (1911, I think), until Humble became the
largest domestic producer of crude oil during WWII. It expanded so
fast that the industry used to refer to Humble as the Nimble Oil
Company. It was a major brand before and after WWII, and drivers,
taking their cue from industry banter, began to refer to their
automobile dipsticks as nimrods. When Humble disappeared the insult
word "nimrod" reverted back to "dipstick".

Les

John Hatpin

Sep 3, 2010, 12:58:11 PM9/3/10
Les Albert wrote:

What does the dipstick say?
--
John Hatpin

Les Albert

Sep 3, 2010, 1:05:46 PM9/3/10

Is that a riddle?

Les

Hactar

Sep 3, 2010, 12:58:21 PM9/3/10
In article <Xns9DE8ABDA...@news.albasani.net>,

Oh great. What does that one mean?

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81
If you need someone to blame

Les Albert

Sep 3, 2010, 1:12:58 PM9/3/10
On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 12:58:21 -0400, ebenZ...@verizon.net (Hactar)
wrote:

>In article <Xns9DE8ABDA...@news.albasani.net>,
>HVS <use...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 03 Sep 2010, Richard R. Hershberger wrote
>>
>> > As for Tony's ancestor, there was a common pattern among 17th century
>> > English Protestants of using Old Testament names. With a few notable
>> > exceptions (e.g. "David"), Old Testament names were uncommon among
>> > Christians before the Reformation. Nearly every Old Testament name
>> > (and some words which were misunderstood to be names) was used at some
>> > point.
>>
>> Do you think "Ebenezer" was one of the misunderstood ones? (FWIW, I always
>> assumed that one was used in the full knowledge of the reference.)

>Oh great. What does that one mean?

See: http://www.revneal.org/Writings/whatsan.htm
Literally speaking, an Ebenezer is a "stone of help," or a reminder of
God’s Real, Holy Presence and Divine aid. Spiritually and
theologically speaking, an Ebenezer can be nearly anything that
reminds us of God’s presence and help: the Bible, the Sacramental
Elements, a cross, a picture, a fellow believer, a hymn – those things
which serve as reminders of God’s love, God’s Real Presence, and God’s
assistance are "Ebenezers."

Les

John Hatpin

Sep 3, 2010, 1:28:02 PM9/3/10
Les Albert wrote:

Sorry, it was maybe a bit obscure without explanation. In one of the
funniest rejoinders I recall in AFCA, someone was wondering if it was
OK to run a vehicle after putting in too much oil - someone else asked
"what does the dipstick say?", and a third replied "he says he put in
too much oil".

It still makes me laugh. Maybe I'm easily amused.
--
John Hatpin

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Sep 3, 2010, 1:33:59 PM9/3/10
On 9/3/2010 7:40 AM, Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored
thing ) wrote:

> It turns out my earliest ancestor in this country came over from Wales
> (which was spelled “whales”. I’m pretty sure that was just a spelling
> mistake. I doubt I descended from huge sea mammals. At least not that
> directly.) in the 1660’s.
>
> His name was Nimrod Johnson. A lot of the stuff I write here is a
> total lie. (I wasn’t really one of the fly girls on “In Living
> Color’), but I’m not making that up. The poor guy was really named
> Nimrod Johnson.
>
> I shouldn’t even be here. What are the odds that someone with a name
> like that would be able find someone to procreate with? His wife had a
> normal name, Polly, so it wasn’t like her name was “Smelly Cow
> Droppings” and the best she could do would be a man named Nimrod.

http://www.fmsmith.com/nimrod.html

http://names.whitepages.com/Nimrod/Johnson

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16732-sheriff-nimrod-johnson-miller

http://www.facebook.com/people/Merry-K-Nimrod-Johnson/1407292456

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.johnson/16876.1/mb.ashx

http://showmelocal.pasadenastarnews.com/profile.aspx?bid=5275875

Paul Madarasz

Sep 3, 2010, 1:40:19 PM9/3/10
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 17:58:11 +0100, John Hatpin
<RemoveThi...@gmailAndThisToo.com> wrote:

You're a quart low.

Paul Madarasz

Sep 3, 2010, 1:41:10 PM9/3/10

That's what my name means in English.

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Sep 3, 2010, 3:03:55 PM9/3/10
Fowler than what?

Lee Ayrton

Sep 3, 2010, 5:28:34 PM9/3/10

> On 9/3/2010 7:40 AM, Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored
> thing ) wrote:

>> A lot of the stuff I write here is a total
>> lie.

Which might explain why you're a permanent resident in my killfile.

Lee "That, and the 'toxic sack of shite' part" Ayrton

Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored thing )

Sep 3, 2010, 5:57:21 PM9/3/10

> Which might explain why you're a permanent resident in my killfile.

you're too stupid to be a good liar

DT

Sep 3, 2010, 7:01:27 PM9/3/10

>Plus, it's not an insult outside of the USA, as far as I know. I've
>never heard it used that way elsewhere.

I don't think it is an insult in the US. It just means sportsman,
hunter, fisherman, etc. There are nimrod clubs all over the US.

--
DT

John Hatpin

Sep 3, 2010, 7:16:25 PM9/3/10
DT wrote:

Checking back, the OP describes it as "insulting"; Woward says it's
"an insult", Richard calls it "derisive", and Les calls it "an
insult".

Merriam-Webster defines it as "idiot" and "jerk" as well as "hunter".

So you can see why I still think it's used pejoratively.
--
John Hatpin

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Sep 3, 2010, 8:43:29 PM9/3/10
On 9/3/2010 5:57 PM, Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored
thing ) wrote:

>> Which might explain why you're a permanent resident in my killfile.

> you're too stupid to be a good liar

Lee may be many things, but he's not stupid.

Cahresl

Mark Steese

Sep 3, 2010, 10:38:29 PM9/3/10
"Richard R. Hershberger" <rrh...@acme.com> wrote in

> On Sep 3, 9:38 am, Woward Holy Hail <wowardholyh...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

[snip]

>> When people were arguing about whether Bugs Bunny saying Maroon was a
>> Mel Blanc goofy talk thing or a reference to a group of Africans, I
>> looked up Maroon in Google and saw people claiming that Nimrod wasn't
>> considered an insult until Bugs Bunny starting calling Elmer Fudd a
>> nimrod in a sarcastic tone when Elmer was bumping around with his

>> shotgun.  Or rifle.  What ever that thing was that Bugs tied into

>> knots so that it blew up in Elmer's face.  So unless Nimrod Johnson
>> had bad luck hunting rabbits, I think you're not such a miracle, at
>> least on that point.
>
> "And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth. He
> was a mighty hunter before the LORD: wherefore it is said, Even as
> Nimrod the mighty hunter before the LORD." Genesis 10: 8-9
>
> In other words, Nimrod was so kick-ass that comparing someone to him
> was a compliment. Sort of like comparing someone today to Michael
> Jordan.

For values of "today" that correspond to "the mid-90s."

> The Bugs Bunny argument is that Bugs was being sarcastic, because
> Elmer Fudd so clearly was not a great hunter. The Biblical reference
> was obscure enough that this was misinterpreted as "Nimrod" being a
> general term of derision. Unfortunately for this lovely story, there
> are examples of derisive "nimrod" which predate the cartoons. See
> http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19990507

It wouldn't work anyway - in at least one cartoon that I recall, Bugs
shakes his head over Elmer and says "Poor little nimrod," in exactly the
same way he says "Poor little maroon" in other cartoons.

> As for Tony's ancestor, there was a common pattern among 17th century
> English Protestants of using Old Testament names. With a few notable
> exceptions (e.g. "David"), Old Testament names were uncommon among
> Christians before the Reformation.

The popularity of 'David' as a given name was influenced by the
popularity of St David (Dewi Sant) in Wales: so many medieval and later
Welshmen were named David that it became a proverbial name, and the
Welsh pronunciation was mocked in the nursery rhyme "Taffy was a
Welshman."

'Adam' was another very common Old Testament name before the
Reformation.

> Nearly every Old Testament name (and some words which were
> misunderstood to be names) was used at some point. Most never became
> common, if only because there are so many, but all sorts of such names
> pop up in family trees.

'Nimrod' appears as a given name in the United States up till the end of
the 19th century.
--
Experts insist that the reason these switches go bad is because they're
hardly ever used. In other words, the less wear a switch gets the

Les Albert

Sep 3, 2010, 11:20:45 PM9/3/10

To add more confusion to the mix, it's also the name for a particular
pipe lighter:

http://tinyurl.com/26uu5qj

I still have one although I haven't used it for many years.

Les

John Hatpin

Sep 4, 2010, 12:32:43 AM9/4/10
Les Albert wrote:

It's also the name of a type of British marine reconnaissance aircraft
based on the Comet, which was finally retired earlier this year after
over 30 years of service:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Siddeley_Nimrod>
--
John Hatpin

Mark Steese

Sep 4, 2010, 1:11:00 AM9/4/10
"Charles Wm. Dimmick" <cdim...@snet.net> wrote in news:i5s4ng$jej$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

OTOH, it was kind of weird to respond to your post but trim out everything
you wrote and address his remarks directly to Tony, thus making it look as
though he was responding directly to Tony's post in order to tell him he
was a permanent resident in Lee's killfile. You can see why Tony would've
gotten the wrong idea.
--
Opposing phalanxes of automobiles stream and stop, stream and stop,their
motors agitated by complex refinements of the same subtance that preserved,

Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored thing )

Sep 4, 2010, 2:13:13 AM9/4/10

> thing ) wrote:
>
> >> Which might explain why you're a permanent resident in my killfile.
> >   you're too stupid to be a good liar,

> Lee may be many things, but he's not stupid.

Okay, he supposedly has me killfiled, presumably because he doesn't
want to read what I write. But he somehow does see it anyway. And he
just doesn't see it, he reads it. W.hen I see something from someone I
don't want to hear from I skip that post as soon as I see who it's
from. And not only does he read something by the person he claims to
want to ignore, he replies to it. With an insult, which historically
isn't the best way to get someone you don't care to hear from to shut
up. That's like poking a sleeping bear with a stick to make him leave
you alone.

And, yeah, I think people who do that are stupid.

I'm sure there are quite a few people who actually have me kill-filed.
You know what I noticed about those people? I stop hearing from them.

If you feel compelled to keep telling people that you're ignoring
them, you care too much about what they might say to actually ignore
them. Hell, you might even miss them saying something about you!

In this case that wouldn't have happened, because I don't know who he
is. I'm sure I must have hurt his little feelings at some point in the
past, but he doesn't stand out.

> Cahresl

He probably can spell his first name though.

bill van

Sep 4, 2010, 2:56:03 AM9/4/10
In article <Xns9DE8E1AD...@81.169.183.62>,
Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Charles Wm. Dimmick" <cdim...@snet.net> wrote in news:i5s4ng$jej$1
> @news.eternal-september.org:

> >> you're too stupid to be a good liar
> >
> > Lee may be many things, but he's not stupid.
> >
> > Cahresl
>
> OTOH, it was kind of weird to respond to your post but trim out everything
> you wrote and address his remarks directly to Tony, thus making it look as
> though he was responding directly to Tony's post in order to tell him he
> was a permanent resident in Lee's killfile. You can see why Tony would've
> gotten the wrong idea.

I don't know. Isn't that exactly what you'd do if you wanted to respond
to someone who's in your killfile -- piggyback on a response to one of
his posts? Tony's smart enough to figure that out, if he wants to.

bill

Peter Ward

Sep 4, 2010, 3:29:21 AM9/4/10
bill van says...

Why would you want to respond to someone who's in your killfile in the
first place? And with such a gratuitous comment, too.

--

Peter, from outside the asylum

I'm an alien
email: usenet at peterward dot adsl24 dot co dot uk
http://blowinsmoke.wordpress.com/
Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop.
- Dara O'Briain

bill van

Sep 4, 2010, 3:39:15 AM9/4/10
In article <MPG.26ec05afb...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Peter Ward <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> bill van says...
> >
> > In article <Xns9DE8E1AD...@81.169.183.62>,
> > Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "Charles Wm. Dimmick" <cdim...@snet.net> wrote in news:i5s4ng$jej$1
> > > @news.eternal-september.org:

> > > OTOH, it was kind of weird to respond to your post but trim out
> > > everything
> > > you wrote and address his remarks directly to Tony, thus making it look
> > > as
> > > though he was responding directly to Tony's post in order to tell him he
> > > was a permanent resident in Lee's killfile. You can see why Tony would've
> > > gotten the wrong idea.
> >
> > I don't know. Isn't that exactly what you'd do if you wanted to respond
> > to someone who's in your killfile -- piggyback on a response to one of
> > his posts? Tony's smart enough to figure that out, if he wants to.
>
> Why would you want to respond to someone who's in your killfile in the
> first place? And with such a gratuitous comment, too.

It's a rare opportunity to take a poke at someone who annoys you.
Remember that we don't all have your strength of character and general
lack of imperfections.

bill

Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored thing )

Sep 4, 2010, 3:45:33 AM9/4/10

> Why would you want to respond to someone who's in your killfile in the
> first place?  And with such a gratuitous comment, too.

Because he's lying about the killfile. One of the problems is that he
assumes everyone is as stupid as he is

bill van

Sep 4, 2010, 3:55:32 AM9/4/10
In article
<3474f179-65f0-4fba...@k10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

"Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored thing )"
<sedat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Let's check it out. You're back in the killfile as of now, for generally
being hateful.

bill

Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored thing )

Sep 4, 2010, 4:19:57 AM9/4/10

> > Because he's lying about the killfile. One of the problems is that he
> > assumes everyone is as stupid as he is
>
> Let's check it out. You're back in the killfile as of now, for generally
> being hateful.

THE HORROR! And since you felt it necessary to tell me about it, I'm
guessing you're a liar too.

huey.c...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2010, 5:17:42 AM9/4/10
Charles Wm. Dimmick <cdim...@snet.net> wrote:
> Tony Myers wrote:
> > (presumably, Lee wrote:)

> >> Which might explain why you're a permanent resident in my killfile.
> > you're too stupid to be a good liar
> Lee may be many things, but he's not stupid.

Tony, on the other hand, is clearly the Einstein-Bose Chair of Rocket
Surgery at the Shawn Wilson Graduate School of Business of the
University of Oxford Yale Phoenix Community College.

--
Huey

huey.c...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2010, 5:20:41 AM9/4/10
bill van <bil...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote:
> Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Lee may be many things, but he's not stupid.
> > OTOH, it was kind of weird to respond to your post but trim out
> > everything you wrote and address his remarks directly to Tony, thus
> > making it look as though he was responding directly to Tony's post
> > in order to tell him he was a permanent resident in Lee's killfile.
> > You can see why Tony would've gotten the wrong idea.
> I don't know. Isn't that exactly what you'd do if you wanted to
> respond to someone who's in your killfile -- piggyback on a response
> to one of his posts? Tony's smart enough to figure that out, if he
> wants to.

There seems to be some confusion as to just what a killfile does. Most
of them simply mark posts as read, so when you're flipping through new
posts, you never see the killfiled. The newsreader still downloads them.
You can still go back and look if there's some context you've missed. It
ain't a magic disappear-o-ray. No one is actually killed by killfiles.

--
Huey "more's the pity, really" Callison

huey.c...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2010, 5:29:20 AM9/4/10
Peter Ward <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Why would you want to respond to someone who's in your killfile in the
> first place? And with such a gratuitous comment, too.

Because sometimes, it is warranted. Take any random hateful moron. For
the sake of illustration, let's pick Glenn Beck. Suppose you have a
device that effectively removes this particular hateful moron from your
airspace. In the case of usenet, it's a killfile. In the case of
television, I generally go with a hearty "I can'b believe anyone watches
this fucking bullshit", which generally gets people to turn it off. But
suppose you just happen to overhear something so completely idiotic that
it demands a response more cogent than the sputtering of spit coffee and
the "HERP DERP DERP" you make when you hear it, like "Obama is a racist.
He clearly hates white people." At that point, although you may have
mechanisms in place that, in general, prevent you from encountering any
Glenn Beck-supplied inanities, you might still want to mention "y'know,
that's the most fucking stupid thing I've heard in the last year".

Fortunately for Glenn Beck, Shawn Wilson seems to think that it's okay
to fuck thirteen-year-olds so, much like the Cubs, Beck will have to
wait another year for the title.

I think the clear lesson here is this: economists are pedophiles.

--
Huey

Peter Ward

Sep 4, 2010, 5:37:33 AM9/4/10
bill van says...

> In article <MPG.26ec05afb...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Peter Ward <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> > Why would you want to respond to someone who's in your killfile in
> > the
> > first place? And with such a gratuitous comment, too.
>
> It's a rare opportunity to take a poke at someone who annoys you.

One would have a lot more opportunities if one didn't killfile such
people, if that's what one wants to do.

Anyway, it seems fairly obvious to me that there's no point in taking
pokes at Toney, it just makes him giggle.

> Remember that we don't all have your strength of character and general
> lack of imperfections.

True.

Though I'm surprised you noticed, seeing as I'm supposedly in your
killfile. That's the second time I appear to have escaped, and it
certainly wasn't my choice either time, even if I'd had one, so the
problem must be at your end. Maybe you should get someone to show you
how to killfile me properly, otherwise I can see you throwing your
teddies out the pram again soon.

--

Peter, from outside the asylum

I'm an alien
email: usenet at peterward dot adsl24 dot co dot uk
http://blowinsmoke.wordpress.com/

This is usenet. Just redefine the word to fit your argument.
- Groo

Nick Spalding

Sep 4, 2010, 6:51:35 AM9/4/10
huey.c...@gmail.com wrote, in
<L5ednUx32fT0kh_R...@speakeasy.net>
on Sat, 04 Sep 2010 04:20:41 -0500:

Agent can do better. You can Ignore a poster and everything that stems
from anything he posts.
--
Nick Spalding

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Sep 4, 2010, 7:56:36 AM9/4/10
On 9/3/2010 10:38 PM, Mark Steese wrote:
> "Richard R. Hershberger"<rrh...@acme.com> wrote in

>> The Bugs Bunny argument is that Bugs was being sarcastic, because

>> Elmer Fudd so clearly was not a great hunter. The Biblical reference
>> was obscure enough that this was misinterpreted as "Nimrod" being a
>> general term of derision. Unfortunately for this lovely story, there
>> are examples of derisive "nimrod" which predate the cartoons. See
>> http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19990507
>

>> Nearly every Old Testament name (and some words which were
>> misunderstood to be names) was used at some point. Most never became
>> common, if only because there are so many, but all sorts of such names
>> pop up in family trees.
>
> 'Nimrod' appears as a given name in the United States up till the end of
> the 19th century.

It's still a given name. See my earlier post which gives reference,
among other things, to seven living people with the name Nimrod Johnson.

Just as, today, there are still at least four people living with the
name Shubael Dim[m]ick, the name of three of my ancestors. [The m in
brackets is because of variable spelling of the last name].

Charles

John Hatpin

Sep 4, 2010, 7:58:22 AM9/4/10
Nick Spalding wrote:

Exactly what I was going to say. It's not just Meyers that makes this
mistake, either - one of the other creeps (I forget which) did the
same WRT me not long ago.

Open message to assholes out there: if someone killfiles you, don't
assume that they mean they'll never read your abusive drivel again;
sometimes it's unavoidable. Shrieking "LIAR!" when you actually get a
reply from someone like that just demonstrates your own ignorance.

If you really don't like being killfiled that much, don't post abusive
drivel in the first place. You'll get a much wider readership, and
people might actually listen to what you say.

> Agent can do better. You can Ignore a poster and everything that stems
> from anything he posts.

Not if you use the "watch" feature (or is it "keep"?), which is why I
don't do that.
--
John Hatpin

Lee Ayrton

Sep 4, 2010, 8:35:23 AM9/4/10
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 08:29:21 +0100, Peter Ward wrote:

>> I don't know. Isn't that exactly what you'd do if you wanted to respond
>> to someone who's in your killfile -- piggyback on a response to one of
>> his posts? Tony's smart enough to figure that out, if he wants to.
>
> Why would you want to respond to someone who's in your killfile in the
> first place? And with such a gratuitous comment, too.

I was feeling mean. Usually I hit the next button.

Lee Ayrton

Sep 4, 2010, 8:39:32 AM9/4/10

Credit where credit is due, Tony is half right: I'm not a good liar. So
I don't bother to.

Nick Spalding

Sep 4, 2010, 8:44:54 AM9/4/10
John Hatpin wrote, in <jmc48619lgt80e99o...@4ax.com>
on Sat, 04 Sep 2010 12:58:22 +0100:

Nor do I. Watch and Ignore are incompatible.
--
Nick Spalding

Les Albert

Sep 4, 2010, 11:40:13 AM9/4/10

Shubael Dim[m]ick is in my killl-file.

Les

Mark Steese

Sep 4, 2010, 2:52:23 PM9/4/10
Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com.nul> wrote in

Yeah, I never lie either.
--
One amateur theologian even swore that Death Valley was literally the
roof of the Biblical Hell and that he could hear the "wails of the

bill van

Sep 5, 2010, 1:22:17 AM9/5/10
In article <MPG.26ec2326c...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Peter Ward <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> bill van says...
> >
> > In article <MPG.26ec05afb...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > Peter Ward <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > > Why would you want to respond to someone who's in your killfile in
> > > the
> > > first place? And with such a gratuitous comment, too.
> >
> > It's a rare opportunity to take a poke at someone who annoys you.
>
> One would have a lot more opportunities if one didn't killfile such
> people, if that's what one wants to do.
>
> Anyway, it seems fairly obvious to me that there's no point in taking
> pokes at Toney, it just makes him giggle.
>
> > Remember that we don't all have your strength of character and general
> > lack of imperfections.
>
> True.
>
> Though I'm surprised you noticed, seeing as I'm supposedly in your
> killfile. That's the second time I appear to have escaped, and it
> certainly wasn't my choice either time, even if I'd had one, so the
> problem must be at your end. Maybe you should get someone to show you
> how to killfile me properly, otherwise I can see you throwing your
> teddies out the pram again soon.

No problem at my end. I occasionally clear my killfile entirely, though
in this case it was an individual decision to let you out after a few
months. And you'll have to be much more annoying than this to go back in
again.

bill

Bob

Sep 5, 2010, 2:39:26 AM9/5/10
> Just as, today, there are still at least four people living with the
> name Shubael Dim[m]ick, the name of three of my ancestors. [The m in
> brackets is because of variable spelling of the last name].
>
> Charles

Think they're related to fireworks maven Tom Dimock? Sorry, but in my
head I still "pronounce" your name "Wimmdimmick".

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Sep 5, 2010, 8:52:20 AM9/5/10

Possibly. I'd have to check my files, which are far from complete. I
have about 2000 Dimmicks in my files, all related to me. By my estimate
about 95% of the people with surname Dimmick, Dimmock, Dimick, Dimock,
Dymoke, Dimmuck, and Dymock living in the U.S., Canada, or the British
Isles are related to me, with the vast majority of those in North
America being descended from Shubael Dimmuck. On the other hand, those
with the name Dimik are no relation. The first Shubael's father, by the
way, had the very mundane given name of Thomas.

Charles

Bill Turlock

Sep 6, 2010, 2:07:08 PM9/6/10

The "message filter" in NS 4.x newsreader _does_ delete the
posts. They are never visible to me until some nimrod quotes
them.

Richard R. Hershberger

Sep 7, 2010, 10:22:18 AM9/7/10
On Sep 4, 2:52 pm, Mark Steese <mark_ste...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Lee Ayrton <layr...@panix.com.nul> wrote innews:i5tem4$8kc$7...@reader1.panix.com:

> >> Tony, on the other hand, is clearly the Einstein-Bose Chair of Rocket
> >> Surgery at the Shawn Wilson Graduate School of Business of the
> >> University of Oxford Yale Phoenix Community College.
>
> > Credit where credit is due, Tony is half right: I'm not a good liar.
> > So I don't bother to.
>
> Yeah, I never lie either.

This sentence is a lie.

Richard R. Hershberger

Sep 7, 2010, 10:25:57 AM9/7/10
On Sep 3, 11:41 am, Woward Holy Hail <wowardholyh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "Richard R. Hershberger" <rrhe...@acme.com> wrote

> > The Bugs Bunny argument is that Bugs was being sarcastic, because
> > Elmer Fudd so clearly was not a great hunter.  The Biblical reference
> > was obscure enough that this was misinterpreted as "Nimrod" being a
> > general term of derision.  Unfortunately for this lovely story, there
> > are examples of derisive "nimrod" which predate the cartoons.  See
> >http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19990507
>
> I looked at that page and a few others and didn't see what those examples
> were.  Any idea?
>
> I'm curious if there's any more on how it became an insult.

I got nothing. I am tentatively willing to believe that Random House
actually has something in their files, but it is quite annoying that
they didn't bother to share.

Richard R. Hershberger

groo

Sep 7, 2010, 11:04:07 PM9/7/10
"Richard R. Hershberger" <rrh...@acme.com> wrote:

> As for Tony's ancestor, there was a common pattern among 17th century
> English Protestants of using Old Testament names. With a few notable
> exceptions (e.g. "David"), Old Testament names were uncommon among
> Christians before the Reformation. Nearly every Old Testament name

> (and some words which were misunderstood to be names) was used at some
> point. Most never became common, if only because there are so many,
> but all sorts of such names pop up in family trees.

I haven't met any Phut's yet.

--
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten." - George Carlin