What happened to users' public book lists on Amazon?

Aaron Deals

Nov 27, 2022, 10:59:26 AM11/27/22
Until roughly 2007, Amazon allowed a user to create a ranked list of books, with that user's comment about each book. The topic might be statistics or risk management or bonsai. The lists were fully public and searchable by topic.

When I google this, I come up empty.

Why did Amazon discontinue this feature?

What was this feature called precisely?

What's the closest equivalent today on another book site?

Michael Trew

Nov 28, 2022, 5:35:06 PM11/28/22
I can't answer your last two questions, but I can speculate on the first
one. (Then again, perhaps a real book store, such as "Barnes and
Noble", has such a feature -- I don't know.)

My guess would be that when Amazon branched out from being an on-line
book store, into a nation-wide behemouth, at some point along the way,
they decided that they no longer need to cater to small end-users who
are going to Amazon to buy books. I'd assume that book-only buyers make
up a *very* tiny fraction of Amazon's sales, now. I wish that they
stayed a book-store only.

N Jill Marsh

Nov 30, 2022, 7:41:17 PM11/30/22
I think the closest thing would be individual profiles on GoodReads.

--
nj"internym here"m

Send reggae, guns & numbers.

Lee Ayrton

Dec 2, 2022, 1:02:04 PM12/2/22
Amazon sells books?

Les Albert

Dec 3, 2022, 1:57:03 PM12/3/22
On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 07:59:25 -0800 (PST), Aaron Deals
<heyvict...@gmail.com> wrote:

You can go to https://www.amazon.com/charts and see their rankings for
the most sold and most read. When you click on any of the books in
the list you then can scroll down to see what book reviewers have said
about the book, and then the comments from Amazon customers who have
read the book.

Les

Les Albert

Dec 3, 2022, 2:00:13 PM12/3/22
On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 13:02:09 -0500, Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com>
wrote:
I think it must be a gambling website, and they make book: they are
bookies.

Les