I'm Back!

Steve Austin

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Hi all!

I'm back online after a whole month spent living in a B+B with all my
possessions in storage 'cos the Bank couldn't get it together to
process a mortgage application.

Nice new house, but the same crap humour.

Steve Austin st...@edensfld.demon.co.uk

http://www.edensfld.demon.co.uk for a really bad time.

Stuart Rogers

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Steve Austin wrote in message
<1999060320...@edensfld.demon.co.uk>...

>Hi all!
>
>I'm back online after a whole month spent living in a B+B with all my
>possessions in storage 'cos the Bank couldn't get it together to
>process a mortgage application.
>
>Nice new house, but the same crap humour.

Hello Steve...welcome back!

Stuart.

A B Magee

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 21:04:15 +0100, Steve Austin
<st...@edensfld.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi all!

>I'm back online after a whole month spent living in a B+B with all my
>possessions in storage 'cos the Bank couldn't get it together to
>process a mortgage application.

>Nice new house, but the same crap humour.

Hi Steve! We were picturing you living in a cardboard box with some
rabbits and no internet connection.

Where are you now?

Not that it'll help much if you tell me because I don't know where
anything is.

Anne
--
Never whistle your own canoe

See my photographs at http://members.xoom.com/abmagee/
See my internet friends at http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/abmagee/

Nobody

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
A B Magee wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 21:04:15 +0100, Steve Austin
> <st...@edensfld.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Hi all!
>
> >I'm back online after a whole month spent living in a B+B with all my
> >possessions in storage 'cos the Bank couldn't get it together to
> >process a mortgage application.
>
> >Nice new house, but the same crap humour.
>
> Hi Steve! We were picturing you living in a cardboard box with some
> rabbits and no internet connection.
>
> Where are you now?
>
> Not that it'll help much if you tell me because I don't know where
> anything is.
>
> Anne
> --

My Jar of marmite is sat next to my monitor.

Dave - who likes to share useful information, and badly needs a loaf of
bread.

A B Magee

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 12:43:31 +1000, Nobody <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>A B Magee wrote:

>> Not that it'll help much if you tell me because I don't know where
>> anything is.

>My Jar of marmite is sat next to my monitor.

Strangely enough, I do know where my Marmite is. It's on my computer
desk, though not beside the monitor.

>Dave - who likes to share useful information, and badly needs a loaf of
>bread.

You're not planning to actually *eat* that Marmite, are you? I thought
we'd all agreed it was for repairing roofs.

Steve Austin

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) writes:

>Hi Steve! We were picturing you living in a cardboard box with some
>rabbits and no internet connection.

That's about right.

>Where are you now?

Still near Ipswich, living on the edge of a big new housing development
that's swamping a village called Kesgrave. I can see the radio tower
at the labs from my back bedroom window.

>Not that it'll help much if you tell me because I don't know where
>anything is.

Ah, but Ken will know!

joseph hutcheon

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
In article <1999060405...@edensfld.demon.co.uk>
st...@edensfld.demon.co.uk "Steve Austin" writes:

> abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) writes:
>
> >Hi Steve! We were picturing you living in a cardboard box with some
> >rabbits and no internet connection.
>
> That's about right.
>
> >Where are you now?
>
> Still near Ipswich, living on the edge of a big new housing development
> that's swamping a village called Kesgrave. I can see the radio tower
> at the labs from my back bedroom window.
>
> >Not that it'll help much if you tell me because I don't know where
> >anything is.
>
> Ah, but Ken will know!

And will probably be able to tell, with the assistance of Kensat and his trusty
collection of OS maps, bus timetables, and amazing mathematical powers, exactly
how to get there.

--
Joe

Vibrating Bum-Faced Goats

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99

: >A B Magee wrote:

: >> Not that it'll help much if you tell me because I don't know where
: >> anything is.

: >My Jar of marmite is sat next to my monitor.

: Strangely enough, I do know where my Marmite is. It's on my computer
: desk, though not beside the monitor.

: >Dave - who likes to share useful information, and badly needs a loaf of
: >bread.

: You're not planning to actually *eat* that Marmite, are you? I thought
: we'd all agreed it was for repairing roofs.

I bought some recently so that we weren't the only house in the country
that didn't have a jar of uneaten Marmite in the cupboard.

Speaking of shopping, last month Dave bought six litres of long lasting milk
and it lasted us all month. Dave, who is in charge of things like milk,
didn't take into account this month that I also bought some flavoured
milk mix. Twelve litres lasted us a week as we / I grew fat in an orgy of
strawberry and banana flavoured milk refreshment.

<HOMER>
Enchilaaaaaadas!
</HOMER>

--
Chris | Computer Officer
Russell's | Computer Centre

Steve Austin

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
jos...@joehutch.demon.co.uk (joseph hutcheon) writes:

>> Ah, but Ken will know!

>And will probably be able to tell, with the assistance of Kensat and his trusty
>collection of OS maps, bus timetables, and amazing mathematical powers, exactly
>how to get there.

Easy! Superoute 66 bus from Tower Ramparts bus station in Ipswich.

Alan Brand

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
Steve Austin wrote:

> abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) writes:
>
> >Where are you now?
>
> Still near Ipswich, living on the edge of a big new housing development
> that's swamping a village called Kesgrave. I can see the radio tower
> at the labs from my back bedroom window.

We'll definitely have to meet for a pint when I visit my mum in Lowestoft.

--
AlanB ABR...@wave.home.net

A B Magee

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
On Fri, 04 Jun 99 11:20:37 GMT, jos...@joehutch.demon.co.uk (joseph
hutcheon) wrote:

>> abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) writes:

>> >Hi Steve! We were picturing you living in a cardboard box with some
>> >rabbits and no internet connection.

>> That's about right.

>> >Where are you now?

>> Still near Ipswich, living on the edge of a big new housing development
>> that's swamping a village called Kesgrave. I can see the radio tower
>> at the labs from my back bedroom window.

>> >Not that it'll help much if you tell me because I don't know where
>> >anything is.

>> Ah, but Ken will know!

>And will probably be able to tell, with the assistance of Kensat and his trusty
>collection of OS maps, bus timetables, and amazing mathematical powers, exactly
>how to get there.

From any railroad station on the planet.

A B Magee

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
On 4 Jun 1999 14:06:49 GMT, cgru...@bradford.ac.uk (Vibrating
Bum-Faced Goats) wrote:

[Marmite]

>I bought some recently so that we weren't the only house in the country
>that didn't have a jar of uneaten Marmite in the cupboard.

Joining the establishment, are you?

>Speaking of shopping, last month Dave bought six litres of long lasting milk
>and it lasted us all month. Dave, who is in charge of things like milk,
>didn't take into account this month that I also bought some flavoured
>milk mix. Twelve litres lasted us a week as we / I grew fat in an orgy of
>strawberry and banana flavoured milk refreshment.

Two litres of milk lasts me about two months. Then I throw the rest
out because I figure it can't possibly last that long.

><HOMER>
>Enchilaaaaaadas!
></HOMER>

Enchilada-flavoured milk?

Ken Butler

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 17:36:15 +0100, Steve Austin wrote:

> jos...@joehutch.demon.co.uk (joseph hutcheon) writes:
>
> >> Ah, but Ken will know!
>
> >And will probably be able to tell, with the assistance of Kensat and his trusty
> >collection of OS maps, bus timetables, and amazing mathematical powers, exactly
> >how to get there.
>

> Easy! Superoute 66 bus from Tower Ramparts bus station in Ipswich.

<sound of clicking and whirring as this is filed away in Giant Steel
Trap>

My sources tell me that Kesgrave is handily situated on bus routes
from Ipswich to Woodbridge and Wickham Market, with some of the buses
going on to Saxmundham and Aldeburgh. They assert, however, that these
buses are run by Eastern Counties and don't admit to a number 66. I
shall have to Have a Quiet Word.

Ipswich itself is rather a long way from its railway station, as I
discovered when I was there.

--
Ken Butler, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
** Tants caps, tants barrets. **

Steve Austin

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
but...@mscs.dal.ca (Ken Butler) writes:

>My sources tell me that Kesgrave is handily situated on bus routes
>from Ipswich to Woodbridge and Wickham Market, with some of the buses
>going on to Saxmundham and Aldeburgh. They assert, however, that these
>buses are run by Eastern Counties and don't admit to a number 66. I
>shall have to Have a Quiet Word.

Superoute 66 is a new-fangled invention - a circular service that serves
the big new developments at Kesgrave and Martlesham, joining them to BT
Labs at one end and Ipswich town centre at the other.

>Ipswich itself is rather a long way from its railway station, as I
>discovered when I was there.

I haven't managed to find the railway station yet - defeated by the one
way system which carefully manages the traffic to keep it all away from
the station.

Steve Austin

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
Alan Brand <ABR...@wave.home.net> writes:

>Steve Austin wrote:

>> abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) writes:
>>
>> >Where are you now?
>>
>> Still near Ipswich, living on the edge of a big new housing development
>> that's swamping a village called Kesgrave. I can see the radio tower
>> at the labs from my back bedroom window.

>We'll definitely have to meet for a pint when I visit my mum in Lowestoft.

Good idea - if you're coming up to Suffolk, drop by. It's less than 5
minutes off the A12. I'll stick on the diet coke or fizzy water, though;
given up the demon drink nowadays.

A B Magee

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 06:33:48 +0100, Steve Austin
<st...@edensfld.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) writes:

>>Where are you now?

>Still near Ipswich, living on the edge of a big new housing development
>that's swamping a village called Kesgrave. I can see the radio tower
>at the labs from my back bedroom window.

Is that a good thing? Still, I suppose it'll come in handy when you
get your rocket launcher.

Steve Austin

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) writes:

>On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 06:33:48 +0100, Steve Austin
><st...@edensfld.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>Still near Ipswich, living on the edge of a big new housing development
>>that's swamping a village called Kesgrave. I can see the radio tower
>>at the labs from my back bedroom window.

>Is that a good thing? Still, I suppose it'll come in handy when you
>get your rocket launcher.

Maybe. I could try to shoot the top off it from my back garden....

joseph hutcheon

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
In article <37589fc0...@pubnews.demon.co.uk>
but...@mscs.dal.ca "Ken Butler" writes:

> Ipswich itself is rather a long way from its railway station, as I
> discovered when I was there.

OBSCURE RAILWAY STATION ALERT!!!

I visited Newark, Nottinghamshire t'other day, travelling via Brum to Newark
Castle. This was clearly a station of some importance in its day, but all the
buildings are now boarded-up, leaving the station with the status of a rural
halt.

--
Joe

Tracy T.

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
joseph hutcheon <jos...@joehutch.demon.co.uk> wrote:

: I visited Newark, Nottinghamshire t'other day, travelling via Brum to Newark

: Castle. This was clearly a station of some importance in its day, but all the
: buildings are now boarded-up, leaving the station with the status of a rural
: halt.

Today we were driving to a Regional Park and saw a track that had been
abandoned and somebody had taken some of the rails away. It seemed kind
of forlorn until you drove a bit further and saw there was a nice freight
multiple-line thing right over there-->.

We also saw one of those bright flip-board signs along the track with some
rather obscure numbers on it, and we realised we didn't know what it was,
but figured it might be train-related.

Naturally I thought of Ken.

So I said, "Ken would know what that number thing is!" Of course if the
number thing had been in a swimming pool, it would have meant the train
had done 32 laps, but in this case, you wouldn't think the train would
care how many laps it had done.

Anyway, Ken do you know what the number-thing is?

Tracy, communicator of train trivia

John Rowland

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
In article <928678...@joehutch.demon.co.uk>,

jos...@joehutch.demon.co.uk (joseph hutcheon) writes:
> In article <37589fc0...@pubnews.demon.co.uk>
> but...@mscs.dal.ca "Ken Butler" writes:
>
> > Ipswich itself is rather a long way from its railway station, as I
> > discovered when I was there.
>
> OBSCURE RAILWAY STATION ALERT!!!
>
> I visited Newark, Nottinghamshire t'other day, travelling via Brum to Newark
> Castle. This was clearly a station of some importance in its day, but all the
> buildings are now boarded-up, leaving the station with the status of a rural
> halt.

Obscure? Nonsense! I know it well. Not to be confused with Newark Northgate:
every time I've been through Newark, I've had to get from one station to
the other. The run from Newark Castle into Nottingham Midland is particularly
enjoyable, with a whole string of unlikely station names.

In Nottingham, they're planning to put a tram line in from the old Victoria
station to the Midland station, and out along Mansfield Road. The old station
got turned into a shopping centre, but two freight lines were used for longer,
so the shopping centre already has the tunnel cut through the cellars. Handy.
Not to mention the new timetable on the Midland Main Line routes, with
new shiny trains (which are slower than the old crap trains, but you can't
have everything).

john

vb...@my-deja.com

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
In article <375c9871...@news.nbnet.nb.ca>,

abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:
> On 4 Jun 1999 14:06:49 GMT, cgru...@bradford.ac.uk (Vibrating
> Bum-Faced Goats) wrote:
>
> [Marmite]
>
> >I bought some recently so that we weren't the only house in the
country
> >that didn't have a jar of uneaten Marmite in the cupboard.
>
> Joining the establishment, are you?
>
> >Speaking of shopping, last month Dave bought six litres of long
lasting milk
> >and it lasted us all month. Dave, who is in charge of things like
milk,
> >didn't take into account this month that I also bought some
flavoured
> >milk mix. Twelve litres lasted us a week as we / I grew fat in an
orgy of
> >strawberry and banana flavoured milk refreshment.
>
> Two litres of milk lasts me about two months. Then I throw the rest
> out because I figure it can't possibly last that long.
>
> ><HOMER>
> >Enchilaaaaaadas!
> ></HOMER>
>
> Enchilada-flavoured milk?

There's a scene in one episode where Homer sits on the bed with a
distended gut and says just that.

Chris, who's mixing watching a home shopping channel sell golfing
accessories with netnews and cigarettes at 4:20am. I hate being ill and
unable to sleep. Some strawberry milk is in order I think.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Ken Butler

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
On Sun, 06 Jun 99 14:14:39 GMT, joseph hutcheon wrote:

> OBSCURE RAILWAY STATION ALERT!!!

Whatwhatwhat?

You certainly know how to grab a guy's attention. This guy, at any rate.

> I visited Newark, Nottinghamshire t'other day, travelling via Brum to
Newark
> Castle. This was clearly a station of some importance in its day,
but all the
> buildings are now boarded-up, leaving the station with the status of
a rural
> halt.

That's sort of strange, because I don't think that particular line
(from Nottingham to Lincoln) has come especially far down in the world.
That Central Trains Class 150 you travelled on is about as good as
trains on that line ever got. (Count yourself lucky if you got a Class
158.)

Not far to the east is where the Lincoln line crosses over the East
Coast Main Line (which has its own station called Newark North Gate, or
"Northgate" depending on where you look). This used to be (and, I
think, still is) a flat crossing, with the two lines crossing each
other on the level. A bit scary when the trains crossing your path are
going over 120 mph.

Another station that's come down in the world is March, in
Cambridgeshire (in railway terms, between Peterborough and Ely). This
used to be a major junction, and was laid out with about six platforms
to cope with people changing for trains to all kinds of places in
Lincolnshire. Now, it's not a junction for anywhere, and some of the
trains don't even stop there. It looked very forlorn the second-to-last
time I passed through, but the last time I noticed that a cunningly
high fence had been built between the two extant platforms and the
others, so that the station looked in decent shape provided you didn't
look over the fence to the rest of it.

On the other hand, Birmingham New Street, otherwise known as
"Blackhole", has twelve platforms but they're only just enough to cope
with all the new services that pass through Brum these days.

--
This is not a sig.

Ken Butler

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 08:57:24 +0100, Steve Austin wrote:

> but...@mscs.dal.ca (Ken Butler) writes:
>
> >My sources tell me that Kesgrave is handily situated on bus routes
> >from Ipswich to Woodbridge and Wickham Market, with some of the
buses
> >going on to Saxmundham and Aldeburgh. They assert, however, that
these
> >buses are run by Eastern Counties and don't admit to a number 66. I
> >shall have to Have a Quiet Word.
>
> Superoute 66 is a new-fangled invention - a circular service that
serves
> the big new developments at Kesgrave and Martlesham, joining them to
BT
> Labs at one end and Ipswich town centre at the other.

Sounds handy. Do you use it?

> >Ipswich itself is rather a long way from its railway station, as I
> >discovered when I was there.
>

> I haven't managed to find the railway station yet - defeated by the
one
> way system which carefully manages the traffic to keep it all away
from
> the station.

I wondered why there were lots of people at Ipswich station but no
cars. Now I know.

Ken Butler

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 21:04:15 +0100, Steve Austin wrote:

> Hi all!

<AA meeting>

Hi, Steve!

</AA meeting>

> I'm back online after a whole month spent living in a B+B with all my
> possessions in storage 'cos the Bank couldn't get it together to
> process a mortgage application.

To switch from Alcoholics Anonymous to South Park, "that sucks ass,
man".

> Nice new house, but the same crap humour.

We'd expect nothing less. Or more. One of those.

Tracy T.

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Steve Austin <st...@edensfld.demon.co.uk> wrote:

: Superoute 66 is a new-fangled invention - a circular service that serves

: the big new developments at Kesgrave and Martlesham, joining them to BT
: Labs at one end and Ipswich town centre at the other.

Does Superoute 66 have Superdiners and SuperCadillac Deserts on it?

Tracy, who would have visited

Steve Austin

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Tracy T. <tra...@nospam.value.net> writes:

>Steve Austin <st...@edensfld.demon.co.uk> wrote:

The closest we have to a Superdiner is a "Fatty Arbuckle's" American Diner
and it isn't on the 66 bus route. I don't know what a "SuperCadillac
Desert" is; the only desert here is a cultural one.

Steve Austin

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Ken Butler <b3j...@my-deja.com> writes:

>I wondered why there were lots of people at Ipswich station but no
>cars. Now I know.

Perhaps it's because not many cars feel the need to catch a train.
I know my car has never had that particular urge.

Steve Austin

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Ken Butler <b3j...@my-deja.com> writes:

>On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 21:04:15 +0100, Steve Austin wrote:

>> I'm back online after a whole month spent living in a B+B with all my
>> possessions in storage 'cos the Bank couldn't get it together to
>> process a mortgage application.

>To switch from Alcoholics Anonymous to South Park, "that sucks ass,
>man".

Don't I know it. I've never seen so much pissing about in all my life.
Still, it worked - eventually. I could go into a goat-style rant
about the whole dismal non-performance, but you wouldn't believe it
all.

Mr C

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
cgru...@bradford.ac.uk (Vibrating Bum-Faced Goats) wrote:
> A B Magee (abm...@aoarg.ao.pn) wrote:
> : On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 12:43:31 +1000, Nobody <nob...@nowhere.com>
wrote:

> : >A B Magee wrote:
>
> : >> Not that it'll help much if you tell me because I don't know
where
> : >> anything is.
>

> : >My Jar of marmite is sat next to my monitor.
>
> : Strangely enough, I do know where my Marmite is. It's on my computer
> : desk, though not beside the monitor.
>
> : >Dave - who likes to share useful information, and badly needs a
loaf of
> : >bread.
>
> : You're not planning to actually *eat* that Marmite, are you? I
thought
> : we'd all agreed it was for repairing roofs.
>
> I bought some recently so that we weren't the only house in the
country
> that didn't have a jar of uneaten Marmite in the cupboard.

If you want to shift it, here's a little recipe I've cooked
(I use the word under advice) up:

<blue peter>

For your toasted salty snax you will need:

Beer (large portions thereof)
Marmite
Bread (sliced, preferably stale but with any mould cut off)
Worcestershire sauce
Tomato Ketchup
Smoked Bacon
Cheese (any you find lying about but the saltier (eg Feta)
the better - again remove all mould)

Consume the large portion of beer. In as little time as
possible (aim for an intake of greater than 4 pints per
hour over at least four hours for best taste). Crawl home
or, if already home, crawl to the kitchen.

Take a table spoon and a mug and measure out three spoons of
ketchup into the mug. Add a spoon full of worcestershire
sauce and stir merrily (due to the beer intake above it's
probably not possible to stir it any other way, but I thought
I'd say just to be on the safe side), trying not to throw it
all over the place.

Place as much bread as you safely are able into a toaster
and toast it (slice the bread first if the supermarket was
not kind enough to do this for you - you might want to get a
sober person to help you with this bit).

Fry the bacon in lots of oil/fat/lard - do NOT under ANY
circumstances grill it. While you're doing this your toast
should pop out of the toaster. Slice/grate loads of cheese,
spread marmite onto the toast (thickly), and smother it with
the contents of the mug you haven't been using as an ashtray.
(The one with the Ketchup mix in) Place the bacon on the
pre-treated toast. Cover with cheese, pour the remaining fat
in the frying pan over the top of it all, and finally, using
the grill or a blow torch melt the cheese.

Eat, and die of simultaneous heart, liver and kidney failure
from all the fat and sodium.

</blue peter>

The perfect friday night snack. (If you want you can also
dollop mayonnaise on top too.)

Mr C, very hungry kid

--
When inspiration strikes, it usually uses a bar of soap.
In a sock.

Mr C

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Steve Austin <st...@edensfld.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all!

Hello!

> I'm back online after a whole month spent living in a B+B with all my
> possessions in storage 'cos the Bank couldn't get it together to
> process a mortgage application.

I shall send Vern and his brother around poste haste to their
business address if you would be so kind as to forward it to me.

> Nice new house, but the same crap humour.

Oh.

Mr C, really should do some disappearing of his own to revise kid

A B Magee

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
On Sun, 6 Jun 1999 08:19:10 +0100, Steve Austin
<st...@edensfld.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) writes:

>>On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 06:33:48 +0100, Steve Austin
>><st...@edensfld.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Still near Ipswich, living on the edge of a big new housing development
>>>that's swamping a village called Kesgrave. I can see the radio tower
>>>at the labs from my back bedroom window.

>>Is that a good thing? Still, I suppose it'll come in handy when you
>>get your rocket launcher.

>Maybe. I could try to shoot the top off it from my back garden....

Beats that boring old shooting the beer cans with your air pistol
routine.

Ken Butler

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
On 6 Jun 1999 18:09:01 GMT, Tracy T. wrote:

> Today we were driving to a Regional Park and saw a track that had been
> abandoned and somebody had taken some of the rails away. It seemed kind
> of forlorn until you drove a bit further and saw there was a nice freight
> multiple-line thing right over there-->.

<looks>

So there is.

> We also saw one of those bright flip-board signs along the track with some
> rather obscure numbers on it, and we realised we didn't know what it was,
> but figured it might be train-related.
>
> Naturally I thought of Ken.

I have you well trained.

(ho, ho.)

> So I said, "Ken would know what that number thing is!" Of course if the
> number thing had been in a swimming pool, it would have meant the train
> had done 32 laps, but in this case, you wouldn't think the train would
> care how many laps it had done.
>
> Anyway, Ken do you know what the number-thing is?

If it was a black number on a fairly small white board (possibly
attached to a telegraph pole), then it was a milepost, telling you
that you were 32 rail miles from, well, somewhere -- the end of the
"subdivision". If this was (a new bit of) one of the original
transcontinental lines, each subdivision is about 125 miles long,
which is how far one of the old steam freight trains could travel in
12 hours. This means that the towns at the ends of the subdivisions
are (or at least were) bigger than the others along the way, because
they had to have places to feed and water the train crews and their
locomotives.

That's if it was a permanent-looking 32. If it looked as if you could
change the board to make it say something else, then it's, well,
something else.

It's always seemed curious to me that swimmers on this continent swim
"laps". Those are what you'd do on a circular track, running or on a
fast bike or car. Don't swimmers do "lengths"? (Or, of course, play
water-polo viciously.)

Ken Butler

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
On Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:15:38 GMT, vb...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <375c9871...@news.nbnet.nb.ca>,
> abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:

> > Enchilada-flavoured milk?
>
> There's a scene in one episode where Homer sits on the bed with a
> distended gut and says just that.

Hmm. This is very worrying, because I don't remember which episode
this is from.

> Chris, who's mixing watching a home shopping channel sell golfing
> accessories with netnews and cigarettes at 4:20am. I hate being ill and
> unable to sleep. Some strawberry milk is in order I think.

That's bound to have *some* effect, even if not sleep.

A B Magee

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
On Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:15:38 GMT, vb...@my-deja.com wrote:

>> ><HOMER>
>> >Enchilaaaaaadas!
>> ></HOMER>

>> Enchilada-flavoured milk?

>There's a scene in one episode where Homer sits on the bed with a
>distended gut and says just that.

I've never seen a bed with a distended gut. I wonder if they're
comfortable.

>Chris, who's mixing watching a home shopping channel sell golfing
>accessories with netnews and cigarettes at 4:20am. I hate being ill and
>unable to sleep. Some strawberry milk is in order I think.

Known as slobbery milk around here. But I like slobbery shortcake much
better.

Anne, thinking that slobbery shortcake season will be starting soon

vb...@my-deja.com

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
In article <375de5e6...@pubnews.demon.co.uk>,

but...@mscs.dal.ca (Ken Butler) wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:15:38 GMT, vb...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > In article <375c9871...@news.nbnet.nb.ca>,
> > abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:
>
> > > Enchilada-flavoured milk?
> >
> > There's a scene in one episode where Homer sits on the bed with a
> > distended gut and says just that.
>
> Hmm. This is very worrying, because I don't remember which episode
> this is from.

Grampa vs Sexual Inadequacy:

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/2F07.html

It's the one where Grampa sells his love potion to put the dowsers in
your trousers. All the parents disappear off the streets to have sex
and the kids come up with conspiracy theories to explain where all the
grown ups have gone.

One of the best for stealing obscure-ish quotes from IMO. I
say "Enchilaaaaadas" every time I pig out now. I'm also in the habit of
saying "I assure you <name of minor flaw in whatever I'm doing> is the
result of an unrelated alcohol problem."

> > Chris, who's mixing watching a home shopping channel sell golfing
> > accessories with netnews and cigarettes at 4:20am. I hate being ill
and
> > unable to sleep. Some strawberry milk is in order I think.
>

> That's bound to have *some* effect, even if not sleep.

It wasn't down there for long but it was nice while it lasted. I never
did get to sleep BTW. By 5am I was on a Star Trek: TNG binge which
lasted until 10am, at which point the cricket World Cup took over.

That night I also saw the fourth Alien film for the first time. I won't
go into too much detail lest I spoil it for someone else but at the
beginning when the creatures get loose the computer starts making
evacuation announcements. It's best one is, when all the lifeboats have
gone, "Evacuation incomplete: There are 9 unarmed civilians in the
following locations".

The following dialogue would seem to me more appropriate:

"In the event of armed rebellion, terrorist attack and alien
insurgence, the Series-H computer will broadcast the location of crew
and civilians as well as their numbers and strength. Thank you for
buying the Series-H computer". Fuckwit writers. Honestly, you'd think
if they're going to spend millions on making a film, with an otherwise
decent storyline albeit with the same plot as the first, they'd put
some bloody effort into the dialogue.

If the BBC are to be believed, the SAS do the same thing. The thing
they made of Bravo Two Zero with Sean Bean (does anyone else say "Seen
Bean" first and then have to correct themselves? No? Well you will now)
had him stood there in the heat of battle slapping his mates on the
back as he very vocally counted them past his position.

Tomorrow's installement from the Goatish Industries Film School will be
how to make the perfect love scene with neither the goat nor the red
leather catsuit looking out of place.

j.hut...@hefce.ac.uk

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99