american phrases vs british phrases

Colin McElroy

Jan 23, 1995, 10:28:32 PM1/23/95
carissa (cg...@mail.utexas.edu) wrote:
: there are so many british words and or phrases that are very obviously and
: definitely british ie bugger or bloke or blimey but are there any phrases
: which brits think of as purely american?

I'm a fan of the quaint colloquialisms myself, like: "Eat **** and die,
you h***** m*****-*****r"

Colin

John Lovie

Jan 23, 1995, 7:13:20 PM1/23/95

On Sun, 22 Jan 1995, carissa wrote:

> there are so many british words and or phrases that are very obviously and
> definitely british ie bugger or bloke or blimey but are there any phrases
> which brits think of as purely american?

None - nix, nada, niente, no way, no way no how, no fucking way.
You're not from around here, are you boy?
Take a hike
Jug handle (NJ)
Make a right
Make
Make out
Make out artist
Wise guy
Guy
Doll
Lorne Guyland
Railroad
Intersection
Highway
Interstate

Cheers
John

Emma Rachel Dixon

Jan 24, 1995, 6:09:18 PM1/24/95
carissa (cg...@mail.utexas.edu) wrote:
: there are so many british words and or phrases that are very obviously and
: definitely british ie bugger or bloke or blimey but are there any phrases
: which brits think of as purely american-
Emma Rachel Dixon : edi...@falcon.cc.ukans.edu-

Yes. "How about dem hogs?!" - referring to the Arkansas basketball team wimming the NCAA last year.

Oh, and I don't think I've ever heard "butt" used in England too much. I've
never told a bloke he has a cute butt. . .

We don't have diapers. . .we have nappies. So there you have it.

Roddy Calder

Jan 25, 1995, 5:17:16 AM1/25/95

:
: Yes. "How about dem hogs?!" - referring to the Arkansas basketball team wimming the NCAA last year.
:
: Oh, and I don't think I've ever heard "butt" used in England too much. I've
: never told a bloke he has a cute butt. . .

I was most amused to see in a paper in a US journal (Proc. IEEE,
Vol.69, p.1408) that they made an acronym out of `Auto Regressive
Spectral Estimate'. Doesn't mean anything particular to the US ear
(I guess) since:

UK USA
arse = ass/butt

Anyone think a.f.b-a.cute-butt would be a good idea?

-Roddy
Roddy Calder Internet: r...@jb.man.ac.uk
University of Manchester Tel. int: +44 477 571321 x205
Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories UK: (0477) 571321 x205
Jodrell Bank, Macclesfield, SK11 9DL Fax: +44 477 571618
UK Telex: 36149 JODREL G

Karen Mercedes

Jan 26, 1995, 11:35:47 PM1/26/95
In article <RC.95Jan...@antares.jb.man.ac.uk>
r...@antares.jb.man.ac.uk (Roddy Calder) writes:

> : Yes. "How about dem hogs?!" - referring to the Arkansas basketball team wimming the NCAA last year.

No, no, no. That was the game President Clinton went to. "How about
dem hawgs?!" was the gut reaction of the Young Republicans when they
saw Slick Willy arrive with his Secret Service conga line.

Karen Mercedes

*** Lord Lucan, where are you now? ***

Alex M Stevens

Jan 27, 1995, 9:36:26 PM1/27/95
: > there are so many british words and or phrases that are very obviously and
: > definitely british ie bugger or bloke or blimey but are there any phrases
: > which brits think of as purely american?

: Loads!

: Flip a Uie

No, no, no. It's Hang a Uie(yooey) - make a u-turn,
Flip a(the) bird - make an impolite gesture.
I mean, geeze, guys!

Anna Warman

Jan 28, 1995, 1:16:25 PM1/28/95
Fanny is a good one:

There's the Fanny Pack (bum bag)...

...and apparently, American males are configured differently to their
British counterparts, since they can fall on their fanny.

To Americans, a crap game is not watching Bradford playing rugby...

__
ANNA
Sig's on a fortnight's holiday

John Lovie

Jan 29, 1995, 5:18:12 PM1/29/95

On 29 Jan 1995, Sooz wrote:

> In <3ge04e$1...@news1.best.com> pe...@best.com (Peter Cockerell) writes:

[snip toilet euphemisms]

> >One I've been hearing a lot recently is to rag on someone, which seems
> >mean have a go at, and which presumably shouldn't be confused with someone
> >being on the rag.
>
> Yep, that's exactly what it means and the etymology is from "being on the
> rag". I don't know if the connotations of being "on the rag" are exactly
> the same, but here in the Land o' the Free women are assumed to be in a
> foul temper any time they are "on the rag" and, it would seem, on the rag
> any time they are in a foul temper (though I'm living proof that that's not
> necessarily so).

Sooz, to allow us to verify your claim of being living proof of a foul
temper not always being associated with being on the rag, could please
indicate in your sig whether you are or are not on the rag at the time of
posting?

Cheers
John
who apologizes for being cranky lately. He's feeling bloated and crampy.
Do you suppose we'll all get synchronized like women who lived together?

Robert Ford

Jan 30, 1995, 4:12:32 AM1/30/95
In article: <paulb.7...@cgl.ucsf.edu> pa...@piglet.ucsf.edu (Paul
Bamborough) writes:

> cg...@mail.utexas.edu (carissa) writes:
>
> >there are so many british words and or phrases that are very obviously
and
> >definitely british ie bugger or bloke or blimey but are there any phrases
> >which brits think of as purely american?

Also, upcoming / forthcoming. 'Check out' (am) does not mean to test
something. There are also some lovely new words arriving - 'prequel'
for instance. Newsreaders seem to have their own unique style; 'This,
from our . . .'

| Robert Ford EMail rob...@fordrjk.demon.co.uk |
Yesterday's a memory, tomorrow a dream. Hope I get through today.

Vibrating Bum-Faced Goats

Jan 30, 1995, 8:22:03 AM1/30/95
Anna Warman (AN...@warman.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: pants = trousers
: vest = waistcoat

: Therefore, Americans wear their vest and pants on the outside...

Pants are trousers around here too, it caused much hilarity when I was at
university down south.
--
Chris Russell - Electronic Imaging Unit - University of Bradford
Rugby League World Wide Web Pages - http://www.brad.ac.uk/~cgrussel/

Vibrating Bum-Faced Goats

Jan 30, 1995, 8:22:57 AM1/30/95
Anna Warman (AN...@warman.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: To Americans, a crap game is not watching Bradford playing rugby...

And to me as well.

Vibrating Bum-Faced Goats

Jan 31, 1995, 9:32:08 AM1/31/95
Anna Warman (AN...@warman.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <1995Jan30....@bradford.ac.uk>
: C.G.R...@bradford.ac.uk "Vibrating Bum-Faced Goats" writes:

: > Anna Warman (AN...@warman.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: >
: > : To Americans, a crap game is not watching Bradford playing rugby...
: >
: > And to me as well.

: Damn, damn, damn.

I thought you must have it the wrong way 'round :).

Philip Morgan

Jan 31, 1995, 1:09:30 PM1/31/95
In article: <3gea1j$1...@srvr1.engin.umich.edu> sgod...@news-server.engin.umich.edu (Sarah Louise Goddard)
writes:
>: Way to go, kid!
>
>: Did he do it, yet?
>
>: Philip
>: CARDIFF
>
>Philip - would you mind posting at least two or three words about
>which you are responding to.

Boo hoo!!! Anna did it too, Miss!!! Not fair!!

Sulk.

Philip
CARDIFF (at home and paying for all the repitition, deviation and hesitation)

Sarah Louise Goddard

Jan 31, 1995, 3:31:34 PM1/31/95
Philip Morgan (Phi...@pmorgan.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: I (Sarah) wrote:
: >Philip - would you mind posting at least two or three words about

: >which you are responding to.

: Boo hoo!!! Anna did it too, Miss!!! Not fair!!

: Sulk.

: Philip
: CARDIFF (at home and paying for all the repitition, deviation and hesitation)

Philip - please pay penance by writing a lovely posting explaining all
the places outside of Cardiff than I can get a pint of Brains. You
mentioned in another post (which I lost) that you had it not 50 miles
away and it was not so good. Will this be the case if I bring home
bottles of it? Is it still better at the brewery downtown (Cardiff)?
What about bringing home a keg (of course than it would have to be drunk
rather quickly - but I would be popular.

Thankyou very much.

- Sarah -- thinking about staying in Britain past the summer...
Sarah Goddard, sgod...@engin.umich.edu
Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan

Martin Ackroyd

Feb 1, 1995, 7:47:05 AM2/1/95
Robert Hughes (rob...@gov.nb.ca) wrote:

: The one that I still always brings out a mixed gasp and laugh out of me
: is the free use of the word "fanny" over here, the first time I heard it used

Yeah, a Merkan female visitor was quite surprised when she asked for a Kleenex
to be asked in return "Why, do you need to wipe your hooter?"

--
Martin A | "Rigorous argument from inapplicable
| assumptions produces the world's most
mar...@ghoul.bri.hp.com | durable nonsense"

jrba...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2015, 2:55:29 PM2/11/15