To Tell the Truth

J. Juls

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

Hey, I forgot whom I was going to email when I got this show! Anyway, he's
on it, all right. He looks like a complete hippy--except scuzzy
"slacker-type" clothes instead of tie-die and flowers stuff. Mustache and
beard and really long hair. He looked like he was trying to win until he
screwed up a question from Nipsey Russel; then it was total bullshit all the
way.

Julie

Vicky Carson

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

Hi Julie,
So we can laugh a little harder, what year was this show? Thanks.

J. Juls

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

>Argh! Is there a transcript of this anywhere? Or a summary? It sounds
like a
>scream... =)

Okay, here's the part I have. I'm missing about 1/4 of it, BUT the Game
Show Network is now showing To Tell the Truth again, so I'm going to tape
every episode, and hopefully....

(Brent is contestant number 2. He has long hair parted on the side and down
past his shoulders. He has a beard and mustache and is wearing a brown,
kinda klunky 70s jacket and a tan shirt with no tie. He's slightly
reminiscent of Dr. Okun, except no glasses!)

Host is some guy I don't know! Panelists are Peggy somebody, Bill Cullen,
Nipsey Russel, and Anita Gillette (who?)

Host: Golly, we're learning a lot. Hey, Nips!

Nipsey: Uh, number 2, where's the hack license bureau?

2: Well, I drive in Houston, Texas; I don't... {BTW, he said it so cute,
like HYUStun, TEHXus.}

Nipsey: Oh, you drive in Houston, TX.

2: Yeah.

Nipsey: It'a a fine time to tell me. Number 3, do you have a
noise-abatemenat program in Houston?

3: I drive in Denver.

Nipsey: You drive in Denver. Uh, number 1, what country do YOU drive in?
HAHA Who's your favorite trumpeter, number 1?

1: Uhhh, Miles.

Nipsey: Miles Davis?

1: Yeah.

Nipsey: What is distinctive about Miles' playing that, uh, is so different
from other's trumpet players'?

1: I'ts, uh, it's corny to say soul, but it's....

Nipsey: Does he play very much in the high register?

1: No.

Nipsey: Uh, huh. Number 2, Um, what--what is the embochure?

2: The lip. The lip.

Nipsey: The whole lip?

2: Yeah.

Nipsey: Number 3?

3: The part of the lip you play with.

Nipsey: Uh, huh. Number 1, what is the name of the fleet, the cab fleet
that you drive for?

1: Yellow. I don't drive, uh, I drive a yellow cab.

Nipsey: You're a yellow cab driver.

1: Right.

Nipsey: You got a lot of heart. You play trumpet at night. You're not
really yellow.

1: I run a lot. haha

BZZZZ

Host: Thank you, Nipsey. Le'ts go to Anita Gillette.

Anita: Number 1, what is the name of the company of your yellow cab
company?

1: The yellow cab company.

Anita: Yellow cab company. Ther's no other little name ofn the side of the
door?

1: No, just 60 cents.

Anita: All right---Number 2, has anybody ever gotten hostile when you ,ah,
started blowing, ah, on this bugle?

2: Oh, yes.

Anita: I mean cornet.

2: Well, I had somebody, uh, try to jump out of the cab while it was still
moving.

Anita: Oh, really?

2: Yeah.

Anita: Ah, number 3, has that ever happened to you?

3: Have they jumped out of the cab when I was moving? No.

Anita: No, I meant, has anybody ever gotten hostile?

3: Yeah, yeah. I played the funeral march for somebody once, and they
called in on me.

Anita: Number 1, what's your favorite song?

1: You mean...

Anita: To play. I mean that you feel you really do good, you know?

1: In the cab? Sugar Blues.

Anita: Sugar Blues.

1: Yeah.

Anita: Number, number 2, what is your favorite song?

2: I like to play When the Red Red Robins Come Bob-Bob-Bobbin' Along.

Nipsey: Oh, you don't MEAN that!

Ania: Oh, boy, hahaha. Number 3, what made you start just playing this
thing? Did you figure you'd just get more fares, or is it really something
you really dig doing?

3: Well, you get a--you get a lot of dead time, and it's something nice to
be doing when there's time to do it with.

BZZZT

Host: Do you someties get the feeling that this whole thing isn't
happening?

Celebrities: Yeah, hahahaha.

Host: Let's go down to Bill Cullen. Yes, Bill?

Bill: Yes, number 1, we got it--we got if from everyone, everyone else told
us where they drive. Wher do you drive?

1: San Diego.

Bill: Uh, and, and number 1, what is your purpose? Why do you, um, in
other words, why do you take your cornet to work with you; I mean you must
be able to spend your time in another way; you said you didn't play well.

1: Well, I enjoy playing...

Bill: Uh-huh.

1: And my wife doesn't enjoy me practicing, so I practice while I play in
my cab.

Bill: You figure you've got a captive audience in the back of the cab.
Number 3, has this, as far as you can determine, ah, affected your tips, uh,
made 'em larger or smaller or what, number 3, your tips.

# 3: They're a little, little larger.

Bill: You think people will give you more if you play well?

3: Yeah, I don't really do it for the tips, though.

Bill: Number 2 , do you find that--let's use the word--drunks are more
receptive to your form of entertainment than busy businessmen?

2: Yeah. I do. I find them the most receptive. As a matter of fact, I
get my largest tips form drunks. hahaha

DINGDINGDINGDING

Host: And there goes our little musical bell which cuts off all the
questioning and allows us to mark our ballots, and we gotta decide whether
we think it's number 1, number 2, or number 3. And you know that we pay $50
for each wrong vote; we pay $500 if the whole thing goes gurgling down the
drain--and with everybody's ballots marked, uh, Peggy, start.

Peggy: Well, I would have never voted for him except that he comes from San
Diego. San Diego has a terrific zoo where the elephants are certainly more
important than the people. Cabs are very expensive in San Diego. I took
one once; it was 9 bucks; I almost fainted. And sailors live in San Diego
and and they love cornet music at 4:00 in the morning. So I voted for
number 1.

bing!

Host: Sound thinking all down the line. We got a one showing. Nipsey!

Nipsey: I arrived at my vote for number 1 a little less logically. Ah,
Miles Davis' virtuosity is especially effective in the middle range, and
trumpet players know that, so I just thought maybe it might be number 1.

bing!

Host: Pair of 1's--And no, Anita says it's not number 1.

Anita: Well, you see, I thought that he was so obvous that I thought he was
there to fool me, you know. And number 2--I can't see his lip, and number 3
looked like he could have a nice embochure, so I put down number 3.

bing!

Host: Okay, a pair of 1's and a 3. Bill Cullen? You're pensive.

Bill: Well, you look at those three fellas there. And you'd say, 'which
one of these fellows would be crazy enough to carry a cornet and play it in
a cab atcha?' And I dunno about you, but I came up with number 3.

bing!

Host: hahaha. Before you said that, you should've also looked at those
three fellas and figured which one is most likely to give you a fat lip
after the show is over.

Bill: Yeah--he'd be flattered, you know. {not sure about that one.}

Host: All right, we've made our votes here and so: Will the real Jack
Kaufman please stand up?

:::Number 1 takes a cornet--pretends he's going to play it--Brent takes it
and pretends he's going to play it {He did a lot better pretending job than
number 1.} Brent hands it to number 3. Number 3 stands up.:::

Host: Thank you, Jack. Let's find out about your imposters--see who they
are. Number 1, sir, what is your real name, and what do you do?

1: My name is Dennis Zacker. I'm a fashion photographer in New York.

Host: Hey there, nice to have you here. Number 2, you win some, you lose
some. What are you gonna-what is your real name, and what do you do?

2: My name is Brent Mintz. I photograph dogs, ducks, and squirrels.

(audience cracks up.)

Host: Just dolls, ducks, and squirrels. That's all, huh?

2: Yeah.

Host: Okay, that's your thing; that's what you do. Now we're gonna hear
from Jack Kaufman. We're gonna hear a solo. Now, imagine, friends, that
it's a lovely moonlight night, and you've hired a cab, and you have your
lady friend along in the back seat. And things are going along nicely, and
Jack pulls over to the side of the road, and Jack goes for us like
this--Jack?

3: It's not romantic or anything like that, how 'bout, let me see....
:::plays When the Saints Go Marching In:::

(applause)

Host: Jack, what town do you say you play in?

3: Denver.

Host: In denver.

3: Yeah.

Host: In Denver...Okay, I'll remember to walk when I go---Thank you, Jack,
very much. Thank you, gentlemen.

HotEsct4U

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

I dont get the point to this show? I dont even think I have ever heard of it.
What was it supposed to be about?

Raven at rav...@hotmail.com or at
Raven...@aol.com

SoongMe

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Wow - now I see where he got his lying experience from... :)

Lady Di

http://members.aol.com/soongme/index.htm

"You can't respect someone who kisses your ass." - Ferris Bueller

"I knew I did love him and it was hopeless. He would only love me less." -
Norman Mailer, "Ancient Evenings"

Katherina1

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Julie wrote:
>Okay, here's the part I have. I'm missing about 1/4 of it, BUT the Game
>Show Network is now showing To Tell the Truth again, so I'm going to tape
>every episode, and hopefully....

Wow - thanks for typing it out, Jules! You are one *dedicated* SpinerFemme!
=)

>(Brent is contestant number 2. He has long hair parted on the side and down
>past his shoulders. He has a beard and mustache and is wearing a brown,
>kinda klunky 70s jacket and a tan shirt with no tie. He's slightly
>reminiscent of Dr. Okun, except no glasses!)

Someone MUST do a video grab of this! =)

-Kath (Kathe...@aol.com), the original flashy redhead. ;-)

Visit BRENTWATCH! at... http://members.aol.com/Katherina1/brentwatch1.html
(updated 4/28/98)

Macbeth

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

On behalf of every Spiner fan in the world I ask, nay *demand*, that
you put some shots from this show up on a web site somewhere! :D

Mac

--
Remove the obvious to email me.

J. Juls

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

>On behalf of every Spiner fan in the world I ask, nay *demand*, that
>you put some shots from this show up on a web site somewhere! :D

I tried to get a vidcap of it, but I think I have to drag out one of my
decent VCRs, because the one I used--well the picture really sucked!
Anyway, I'll try again.

Julie

Macbeth

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

J. Juls wrote:

> I tried to get a vidcap of it, but I think I have to drag out one of my
> decent VCRs, because the one I used--well the picture really sucked!

*One* of your decent VCRs? How many have you *got*?? :)

> Anyway, I'll try again.

Bless you. The hopes and dreams of a thousand Spiner femmes
rest on your shoulders. Not to pressure you or anything... ;)

OLAdler

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

Im Artikel <6iiqk2$lnn$1...@nntp3.interaccess.com>, "J. Juls"
<jj...@interaccess.com> schreibt:

>Okay, here's the part I have. I'm missing about 1/4 of it, BUT the Game
>Show Network is now showing To Tell the Truth again, so I'm going to tape
>every episode, and hopefully....

A kind sould mailed me a copy. As soon as I have some time, I'll digitize it
and you can download it from Spiner's Domain then.

CU
Olivia

---
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark
to read."
(Brent Spiner quoting Groucho Marx)

http://www.spiner.com - home of the Brent Spiner Techno Mix

Luvmylinds

Jun 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/12/98

>A kind sould mailed me a copy. As soon as I have some time, I'll digitize it
>and you can download it from Spiner's Domain then.

Is this the game show where he has a really bushy beard and long hair??
Take care Julie :O)
Visit my Brent Page!!!
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/6300

Ljblst

Jun 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/12/98

>Is this the game show where he has a really bushy beard and long hair??

I never got to see the show, but does he also have a Texas accent there too?
How adorable that would be=)
Lisa

J. Juls

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

Ljblst wrote in message <199806122024...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

Yeah, he says "Hyuustun, Tehxus."

Julie

Ljblst

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

>Yeah, he says "Hyuustun, Tehxus."

I love cowboy Brent!
Lisa

BrentFemme

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

Julie told me that the Game Show Network has a web site where they list the
celebrity guests appearing for at least a week in advance. When Brent was on
it was Anita Gillette, Nipsey Russell, Bill Cullen and Peggy Cass.

Go to http://www.spe.sony.com/gsn/index2.html
for those listings.

Thank you Julie for telling me about this - I was planning on taping each
episode until Brent's appearance. What a pain that would have been.

Eileen

Yeah, I've got a Brent page too at http://members.aol.com/BrentFemme/index.html

datasgurl

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

J. Juls <jj...@interaccess.com> wrote in article
<6lutf3$4vm$8...@supernews.com>...

> Ljblst wrote in message
<199806122024...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

> >>Is this the game show where he has a really bushy beard and long hair??
> >
> >I never got to see the show, but does he also have a Texas accent there
> too?
> >How adorable that would be=)
> >Lisa
>

> Yeah, he says "Hyuustun, Tehxus."
>

> Julie

Eeeeeeek! How cute! ...and with a big bushy beard too??!!... I must see
this now! lol!

datasgurl

demen...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <199806140034...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

ljb...@aol.com (Ljblst) wrote:

> >Yeah, he says "Hyuustun, Tehxus."
> >

> I love cowboy Brent!
> Lisa

You come down here and everyone talks like that.
(Ya cum dawn hir an everone taalks lak dat.)

Rin