Historical Format Question

Elan Kia

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

When did the daily radio show change from a call-in format to a
near-monologue, was it 1995, 1996? I have not had the pleasure of
hearing the show in a long time. I think it may have been taken off of
its Peoria A.M.(daylight only) station shortly after the format change.

Elan Kia "Ora et labora."
Groove to the FUNK on the web, check out The Outsiders homepage
<www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/3833/>

"The Shooter" Chad Bryant

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98
to Elan Kia

Elan Kia wrote:

> When did the daily radio show change from a call-in format to a
> near-monologue, was it 1995, 1996? I have not had the pleasure of
> hearing the show in a long time. I think it may have been taken off of
> its Peoria A.M.(daylight only) station shortly after the format change.

I got through to talk to Bob the day the O.J. verdict was announced (Bob
hung up on me), so it had to have been very late in '95 or sometime in
'96.

BTW, where I used to live (Bakersfield, CA) is one of Bob's last
strongholds, probably because there's nothing else that can be put on in
his place. Christian radio is in such decay in Bakersfield that the big
FM station there (KHIS 96.5) was sold and went to a jazz format. The
Christian radio people there are jerks, too.

--
"The Shooter" Chad Bryant
cbry...@prodigy.net

"Knowledge is good."- Emil Faber

"Anyone out there stopped to think what our lives might be like
today if Karl Marx was as good a salesman as Walt Disney?"
-Jello Biafra

"I faced it all, and I stood tall, and did it my way"
-Frank Sinatra, 1915-1998

Ranger57

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98
to Elan Kia

Elan Kia wrote:

> When did the daily radio show change from a call-in format to a
> near-monologue, was it 1995, 1996?

1995. He went back to the old format nine months later, after the
monologue format proved to be a total flop.

> I have not had the pleasure of
> hearing the show in a long time. I think it may have been taken off of
> its Peoria A.M.(daylight only) station shortly after the format change.

Correctumundo. But Bob went off the air in Peoria after his road show
only drew some 150 people. :)

Ranger57

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

All:

I've just added The Televangelists' Hall of Shame to the Bob Larson
Fan Club website (http://www.bitsmart.com/boblarson), and am looking for
other deserving nominees. Any suggestions?

Rev. Dr. Tim, McC, BsD

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

What about Benny Hinn? Wasn't he exposed for healing shills he'd planted in
his audience? I've also heard that he has a meth lab hidden in his hair.

--
Rev. Dr. Tim, McC, BsD
Art Bell, Dr. Laura, Militia Satire Websites
http://extra.newsguy.com/~satire
ZOG Agent
Jackal, Ava Cairo's Palace of Jackals
Official Jackyl, Pack O'Jackyls (TM)
Order of the ILK
Skepticultist
Master Baiter
Proper Usenet Authority
High Counselor, New Usenet Order
certified psychic
Lord Supreme Being and Reigning Monarch of afa-b
Owner of a super-inflated ego
ICQ# 11429593
>rk: tim, there's no kind way to put this. Your energy reveals you to
>be no more than a mean spirited, petty, prideful, run-of-the-mill
>bullshitter!

Rev. Jihad Frenzy

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

> All:
>
> I've just added The Televangelists' Hall of Shame to the Bob Larson
> Fan Club website (http://www.bitsmart.com/boblarson), and am looking for
> other deserving nominees. Any suggestions?

Yep, Peter Popoff. Exposed by The Amazing Randi as a FRAUD on the Tonight Show.

--
Rev. Jihad Frenzy

"Gadzooks!", quoth I, "But here's a saucy bawd!"

I, Libertine
by Fredrick R. Ewing

<A HREF="HTTP://WWW.GIS.NET/~CHT"/A>

ShamelessSeamus

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998 22:53:34 -0400, c...@NOSPAMgis.net (Rev. Jihad Frenzy) wrote:

>In article <358AB5...@ix.netcom.com>, Rang...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
>> All:
>>
>> I've just added The Televangelists' Hall of Shame to the Bob Larson
>> Fan Club website (http://www.bitsmart.com/boblarson), and am looking for
>> other deserving nominees. Any suggestions?
>
>Yep, Peter Popoff. Exposed by The Amazing Randi as a FRAUD on the Tonight Show.

you are a moron. to be exposed as a fraud, you'd have to claim the ability to
do something... which the amazing randi doesn't do... all he does is expose
charlatans. & how does he do that? by duplicating their tricks. no fraud.

rev, you've obviously had your nose up jeeezez' ass for too damn long..
& the fumes seem to have gotten to you

J. Northwood

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

On 20 Jun 1998 00:24:41 EDT, Shamele...@sod.com (ShamelessSeamus)
wrote:

>you are a moron. to be exposed as a fraud, you'd have to claim the ability to
>do something... which the amazing randi doesn't do... all he does is expose
>charlatans. & how does he do that? by duplicating their tricks. no fraud.

Seamus, he's saying that Randi _exposed_ Popoff.

Pee Kitty

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

In alt.slack ShamelessSeamus <Shamele...@sod.com> wrote:

>>Yep, Peter Popoff. Exposed by The Amazing Randi as a FRAUD on the Tonight Show.

> you are a moron. to be exposed as a fraud, you'd have to claim the ability to

> do something... which the amazing randi doesn't do... all he does is expose
> charlatans. & how does he do that? by duplicating their tricks. no fraud.

My word...you are just an incredibly stupid person, aren't you?

Jihad said that RANDI EXPOSED POPOFF...not that RANDI WAS EXPOSED. I'd say
you made a simple mistake, but the two are so vastly different...no, no,
you must simply be a dumbass. I'm sorry.

--

Rev. Pee Kitty, of the order Malkavian-Dobbsian
Meow!

| "Fuck 'Em If They Can't Take A Joke is more than just a meaningless |
| slogan; it's actually a pretty serious statement, and one that I hold |
| true to, with a cream pie in one hand and a chainsaw in the other..." |
| -- Me |

yard Man

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

Pee Kitty <Pki...@mariner.cris.com> wrote:

>In alt.slack ShamelessSeamus <Shamele...@sod.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Yep, Peter Popoff. Exposed by The Amazing Randi as a FRAUD on the Tonight Show.
>
>> you are a moron. to be exposed as a fraud, you'd have to claim the ability to
>> do something... which the amazing randi doesn't do... all he does is expose
>> charlatans. & how does he do that? by duplicating their tricks. no fraud.
>
>My word...you are just an incredibly stupid person, aren't you?
>
>Jihad said that RANDI EXPOSED POPOFF...not that RANDI WAS EXPOSED. I'd say
>you made a simple mistake, but the two are so vastly different...no, no,
>you must simply be a dumbass. I'm sorry.

yer all fucked in the head. Randi exposed himself to Carson, then Ed
McMahon Pulled his Pudoff. I SEEN IT.

Rev. Jihad Frenzy

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

wrote:

> >In article <358AB5...@ix.netcom.com>, Rang...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >
> >> All:
> >>
> >> I've just added The Televangelists' Hall of Shame to the Bob Larson
> >> Fan Club website (http://www.bitsmart.com/boblarson), and am looking for
> >> other deserving nominees. Any suggestions?
> >

> >Yep, Peter Popoff. Exposed by The Amazing Randi as a FRAUD on the
Tonight Show.
> you are a moron. to be exposed as a fraud, you'd have to claim the ability to
> do something... which the amazing randi doesn't do... all he does is expose
> charlatans. & how does he do that? by duplicating their tricks. no fraud.
>

> rev, you've obviously had your nose up jeeezez' ass for too damn long..
> & the fumes seem to have gotten to you

What, I say, WHAT the fuck are you ON? And where can I buy some?

It was Popoff who was shown as a fraud, not Randi.

Popoff was claiming that God was all the time whispering in his ear about
who was sick and who needed healing in his audiences.

Turns out that the "word of knowledge" spoken in his ear came from his
wife, not God, via an FM transmitter. She was reading from cards the marks
had filled out before the show.

Randi and his crew had a scanner in the audience and were searching for the
frequency. They found it and taped it. Then off to the Tonight Show and
down the chute for Popoff, who's know clipping the marks on BET.

Rev. Jihad Frenzy

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

In article <6mfo5f$a...@examiner.concentric.net>, Pee Kitty
<Pki...@mariner.cris.com> wrote:

> In alt.slack ShamelessSeamus <Shamele...@sod.com> wrote:
> >>

> >>Yep, Peter Popoff. Exposed by The Amazing Randi as a FRAUD on the
Tonight Show.

> > you are a moron. to be exposed as a fraud, you'd have to claim the
ability to
> > do something... which the amazing randi doesn't do... all he does is expose
> > charlatans. & how does he do that? by duplicating their tricks. no fraud.
>

> My word...you are just an incredibly stupid person, aren't you?
>
> Jihad said that RANDI EXPOSED POPOFF...not that RANDI WAS EXPOSED. I'd say
> you made a simple mistake, but the two are so vastly different...no, no,
> you must simply be a dumbass. I'm sorry.

My dear Rev. Kitty:

Thank you for your cogent analisys of Seamus.

Breathtaking in its insight and depth, as well as commendable for its
brevity and accessability to the laity.

Your Brother in Dobbs,

Rev. Jihad Frenzy

Former Pope of All Vermont and Missionary to the Heathen Abenaki of the
Lesser Atlantic northeast and the dominions of Canada, Minister to the
Greater, Lesser and Common Incest Mutants of Vermont, With Special
Authority and Dispensation for Genetic Clensing of the Pesthole known to
the General Public as Rutland, Vermont.

David Barnett

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

Ken:
Got anything on James Dobson or what about (and now I'm really dating
myself) Hal Lindsey?

Dave

satyr

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998 11:11:47 -0600, "David Barnett"
<drd...@airmail.net> wrote:

>Ken:
>Got anything on James Dobson or what about (and now I'm really dating
>myself) Hal Lindsey?
>
>Dave
>Ranger57 wrote in message <358AB5...@ix.netcom.com>...

Did Lindsey ever have a TV show? I did actually read his book (Late
Great Planet Earth) a few years ago. Armageddon was already past due
by then but we are still waiting. Isn't Hal worried about God?
Shouldn't we send someone to see if he slipped in the bathroom or
something?

Hiestzie

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

>Did Lindsey ever have a TV show?

Hal did not have a regular TV series, but he had specials about the coming
end times. If I recall correctly, those specials ran in the late 70's.
Hal apparently made his money and tired of the gloom and doom circuit.

TIMOTHY GUEGUEN

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

Rev. Jihad Frenzy (c...@NOSPAMgis.net) wrote:
: In article <358AB5...@ix.netcom.com>, Rang...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

: > All:

: >
: > I've just added The Televangelists' Hall of Shame to the Bob Larson
: > Fan Club website (http://www.bitsmart.com/boblarson), and am looking for
: > other deserving nominees. Any suggestions?

: Yep, Peter Popoff. Exposed by The Amazing Randi as a FRAUD on the Tonight Show.
Was it Popoff or Oral Roberts that was selling Annointing Holy Oil or
somesuch that turned out to be salad dressing?

tim gueguen 101867

ShamelessSeamus

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998 07:06:42 GMT, jmno...@gte.uce_is_icky.net (J. Northwood)
wrote:

>On 20 Jun 1998 00:24:41 EDT, Shamele...@sod.com (ShamelessSeamus)
>wrote:
>

>>you are a moron. to be exposed as a fraud, you'd have to claim the ability to
>>do something... which the amazing randi doesn't do... all he does is expose
>>charlatans. & how does he do that? by duplicating their tricks. no fraud.
>

>Seamus, he's saying that Randi _exposed_ Popoff.

oh well, i mis-read it

big fucking deal

MoeMcAl

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98
(ShamelessSeamus) writes:

>you are a moron. to be exposed as a fraud, you'd have to claim the ability
>do something... which the amazing randi doesn't do... all he does is expose
>charlatans. & how does he do that? by duplicating their tricks. no fraud.
>

>rev, you've obviously had your nose up jeeezez' ass for too damn long..
>& the fumes seem to have gotten to you

Well Randi for the record on Carson's show played a tape of Popoff doing his
tricks and with the tape we hear Popoff's wife TELLING PP via the "hearing aid"
in PP's ear what each target had said or written down for the crusade people.
Also teh same team exposed the fraud of "miracle healing" by having a male
p[oseas a female "cured" of ovarian cancer!

Maureen AKA Born Again Pagan

ConquestOH

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

>RsEaM...@infidels.org (satyr) wrote:

>Did Lindsey ever have a TV show?

He has one now: "Intelligence Briefing" - one of TBN's more popular programs
featuring running commentary on black helicopters....

> Armageddon was already past due
>by then but we are still waiting.

I recently broadcast a program on eschatology, subtitled, "98 reasons why
prophecy practitioners will be wrong in '98". I've received quite a few calls
about - positive, believe it or not.

As far as having any "dirt on Lindsey," well, he did pull a Larson a few years
back by leaving his wife for a younger, more attractive secretary.....at least
that's what he's trying to hide anyway.

Ron
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Talk is cheap. Get involved.
http://www.bitsmart.com/watchdogs

TIMOTHY GUEGUEN

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

Hiestzie (hies...@aol.com) wrote:
: >Did Lindsey ever have a TV show?

: Hal did not have a regular TV series, but he had specials about the coming

: end times. If I recall correctly, those specials ran in the late 70's.
: Hal apparently made his money and tired of the gloom and doom circuit.

In fact I think there was a film version of The Late Great Planet Earth
made in the mid or late 70s. I seem to remember it being made by the
same company that produced films on pseudoscience type topics such as
the Bermuda Triangle and UFOs.

tim gueguen 101867

John Hattan

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

conqu...@aol.com (ConquestOH) wrote:

>>RsEaM...@infidels.org (satyr) wrote:
>
>>Did Lindsey ever have a TV show?
>

>He has one now: "Intelligence Briefing" - one of TBN's more popular
>programs featuring running commentary on black helicopters....

Ironically enough, it's on Thursday night at 7:30 --Bob Larson's
original time slot!

>> Armageddon was already past due by then but we are still waiting.
>
>I recently broadcast a program on eschatology, subtitled, "98 reasons why
>prophecy practitioners will be wrong in '98".

Hmm, I think you need to spend a day in The Bob Larson School of Asinine
Addled Alliteration. You had a good start with the P's there, but you
didn't take it to the Larsonesque extreme. How about.

Prophesy Practitioners Provide Poor Predictions-a-Plenty!

Now THAT'S a Larson-approved show-title!

>I've received quite a few calls about - positive, believe it or not.
>
>As far as having any "dirt on Lindsey," well, he did pull a Larson a few years
>back by leaving his wife for a younger, more attractive secretary.....at least
>that's what he's trying to hide anyway.

Jeez, I need to get myself a secretary!

---
John Hattan High UberPopeness -The First Church of Shatnerology
The Code Zone Sweet Software for a Saturnine World
hat...@fastlane.net http://www.fastlane.net/~hattan/

John Hattan

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

ad...@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca (TIMOTHY GUEGUEN) wrote:

>Hiestzie (hies...@aol.com) wrote:
>: >Did Lindsey ever have a TV show?
>

>: Hal did not have a regular TV series, but he had specials about the coming
>: end times. If I recall correctly, those specials ran in the late 70's.
>: Hal apparently made his money and tired of the gloom and doom circuit.
>In fact I think there was a film version of The Late Great Planet Earth
>made in the mid or late 70s.

Yep. I remember my dad having to calm my fears that killer bees weren't
gonna wipe out humanity.

>I seem to remember it being made by the
>same company that produced films on pseudoscience type topics such as
>the Bermuda Triangle and UFOs.

Sun Pictures. They had their fingers in most of those cheap conspiracy
documentaries in the 70's, like "The Search for Noah's Ark", "The
Lincoln Conspiracy", "Bigfoot, the Mysterious Monster", and "The Bermuda
Triangle".

They eventually worked into equally conspiratorial dramas in the 80's. I
believe they did "Hangar 18" and "Earthbound", two awful gimmick films
that were put out with the spin that they really happened.

"Can you prove it didn't happen?"
--Criswell, "Plan 9 From Outer Space"

e...@bellatlantic.net

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

In article
<03D701CD0713746A.DE6E5930...@library-proxy.airnews.net
>, hat...@fastlane.net wrote:

> ad...@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca (TIMOTHY GUEGUEN) wrote:
>
> >Hiestzie (hies...@aol.com) wrote:
> >: >Did Lindsey ever have a TV show?

Hey. Hal still has a tv show. Its on TBN. Its some kind of news show based
on how current events in the news relate to end times.

paragon

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98
to se...@koyote.com

se...@koyote.com wrote:

> In article <35915d6a...@news.c-com.net>,
> k...@phoenix.net (Kennon Baird) wrote:

> > >If your cousin was healed at a Hinn crusade Im sure it had nothing to do with
> > >Benny.
> >
> > Or Jesus.
> >
> You obviously dont know Jesus.

> http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Who in the world are you to judge, where do you claim to get your
authority?

Perhaps you claim to get it from scripture. Hardly an acceptable claim
- since scripture, by its lack of internal tangency, prophetic
fulfillment and historical accuracy proves itself NOT to be the divine
word of God, but rather a sacred text based on the early development of
(NT) the Christian wisdom tradition and (OT) the Jewish wisdom
tradition. This in no way means that it is without value - but it is
certainly not the vessel of God's empowerment of judges for the endof
the 2nd millenia.

And if you don't claim to get it from scripture, then where do you claim
to get it?

Regards,

Reyn

Keith E. Young

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

I'd like to nominate Earnest Angely...Not only does he bilk unaware
Africans out of their money with his foreign trips, but he also performs
his "healings" practically in my back yard! I know he's on in more states
than Ohio, but I'm not sure if he's national. The toupee alone should get
him inducted.

--
-Keith Young

Jeffrey Quick

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

In article <6mncm5$slu$1...@usenet.kent.edu>, kyo...@f1n06.kent.edu (Keith E.
Young) wrote:

Ernie's comical all right, but I think we need some good evidence that
he's a crook (I mean, besides the fact that he's a televangelist...let's
get objective here.).

D.L. Scott

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

Ranger57 wrote in message <358AB5...@ix.netcom.com>...

>All:
>
> I've just added The Televangelists' Hall of Shame to the Bob Larson
>Fan Club website (http://www.bitsmart.com/boblarson), and am looking for
>other deserving nominees. Any suggestions?

Great web page!

The one nominee that comes immediately to mind is Benny Hinn.

As a Christian, I am ashamed of ALL of those charlatans.

In God's Peace,
Deni Scott

ems...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

In article <6mr1em$eup$1...@dropit.pgh.net>,

My cousin was healed at a Benny Hinn service. I dont think she was a member

of his supposed grand conspiracy.

e...@bellatlantic.net

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

In article <6mrdgn$tp0$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

ems...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <6mr1em$eup$1...@dropit.pgh.net>,
> "D.L. Scott" <dsc...@pgh.net> wrote:
> >

> > Ranger57 wrote in message <358AB5...@ix.netcom.com>...
> > >All:
> > >
> > > I've just added The Televangelists' Hall of Shame to the Bob Larson
> > >Fan Club website (http://www.bitsmart.com/boblarson), and am looking for
> > >other deserving nominees. Any suggestions?
> > >
> > Great web page!
> >
> > The one nominee that comes immediately to mind is Benny Hinn.
> >
> > As a Christian, I am ashamed of ALL of those charlatans.
> >
> > In God's Peace,
> > Deni Scott
>
> My cousin was healed at a Benny Hinn service. I dont think she was a member
> of his supposed grand conspiracy.

If your cousin was healed at a Hinn crusade Im sure it had nothing to do with
Benny. Or maybe it was psychosymantic(sp)?

Eric

se...@koyote.com

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

In article <6mrhg9$5ht$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

e...@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> In article <6mrdgn$tp0$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> ems...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> >
> > In article <6mr1em$eup$1...@dropit.pgh.net>,

> > > Great web page!
> > >
> > > The one nominee that comes immediately to mind is Benny Hinn.
> > >
> > > As a Christian, I am ashamed of ALL of those charlatans.
> > >
> > > In God's Peace,
> > > Deni Scott
> >
> > My cousin was healed at a Benny Hinn service. I dont think she was a member
> > of his supposed grand conspiracy.
> >
> If your cousin was healed at a Hinn crusade Im sure it had nothing to do with
> Benny. Or maybe it was psychosymantic(sp)?
>
> Eric

Is this your explanation for all spiritual healing??

Kennon Baird

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

e...@bellatlantic.net wrote:

>> My cousin was healed at a Benny Hinn service. I dont think she was a member
>> of his supposed grand conspiracy.
>>
>If your cousin was healed at a Hinn crusade Im sure it had nothing to do with
>Benny.

Or Jesus.

ConquestOH

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

>> In article <6mr1em$eup$1...@dropit.pgh.net>,

>> > Great web page!
>> >
>> > The one nominee that comes immediately to mind is Benny Hinn.
>> >
>> > As a Christian, I am ashamed of ALL of those charlatans.
>> >
>> > In God's Peace,
>> > Deni Scott
>>
>> My cousin was healed at a Benny Hinn service. I dont think she was a
>member
>> of his supposed grand conspiracy.

This being the case, I would suspect that you've contacted James Randi and will
be receiving your check for $1,000,000 any day now (10% of course you'll send
to Hinn, I assume). If you don't mind, what was she healed of? And how
much did she put in the offering buckets?

If she was healed, it was in spite of Hinn, not because of him. Hinn is a
heretic. Period.

eas...@redriverok.com

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

ems...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <6mr1em$eup$1...@dropit.pgh.net>,
> "D.L. Scott" <dsc...@pgh.net> wrote:
> >

> > Ranger57 wrote in message <358AB5...@ix.netcom.com>...
> > >All:
> > >
> > > I've just added The Televangelists' Hall of Shame to the Bob Larson
> > >Fan Club website (http://www.bitsmart.com/boblarson), and am looking for
> > >other deserving nominees. Any suggestions?
> > >
> > Great web page!
> >
> > The one nominee that comes immediately to mind is Benny Hinn.
> >
> > As a Christian, I am ashamed of ALL of those charlatans.
> >
> > In God's Peace,
> > Deni Scott
>
> My cousin was healed at a Benny Hinn service. I dont think she was a member
> of his supposed grand conspiracy.

Healed of what disorder? Diagnose by whom?

tony...@post6.tele.dk

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:46:08 GMT, se...@koyote.com wrote:

>In article <6mrhg9$5ht$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> e...@bellatlantic.net wrote:
>>

>> In article <6mrdgn$tp0$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
>> ems...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>> > My cousin was healed at a Benny Hinn service. I dont think she was a member
>> > of his supposed grand conspiracy.
>> >

>> If your cousin was healed at a Hinn crusade Im sure it had nothing to do with

>> Benny. Or maybe it was psychosymantic(sp)?
>>
>> Eric
>

>Is this your explanation for all spiritual healing??

What spiritual healing?? All I hear are anecdotes.

Thomas P.

John Hattan

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

se...@koyote.com wrote:

>In article <6mrhg9$5ht$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> e...@bellatlantic.net wrote:
>>
>> In article <6mrdgn$tp0$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
>> ems...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>> >
>> > My cousin was healed at a Benny Hinn service. I dont think she was a member
>> > of his supposed grand conspiracy.
>> >
>> If your cousin was healed at a Hinn crusade Im sure it had nothing to do with
>> Benny. Or maybe it was psychosymantic(sp)?
>

>Is this your explanation for all spiritual healing??

Can't vouch for Kennon, but that's a big "yes" for me.

Let's look at the facts.

- Healings are always for internal maladies, like "bad knees" or "back
pain". Never is the healing anything that can be seen. A scar has never
physically disappeared in view of anyone. A finger or eye has never
spontaneously grown back. Benny Hinn always covers his stage with
crutches and wheelchairs, but never artificial limbs.

- Most of Hinn's on-stage healings aren't that at all. As shown on the
recent TV expose', folks who show up with testimonials of Hinn's healing
are invited to show their dramatic results on stage. People with genuine
visible maladies, like amputated limbs, advanced cancer, emphysema, etc.
are not invited on the stage.

- James Randi's still got his 1.2 million. He's offered Hinn the money
if he can perform a genuine healing under controlled conditions, but
Hinn has declined. Actually, I don't blame Hinn --why Hinn want 1.2
million dollars or the notoriety of being the first man to perform a
healing that stands up to peer-review. That'd be bad for business :)

It remains to be said whether Hinn is a crank or a charlitan. He does
not, however, provide any healing that couldn't occur by natural means.

e...@bellatlantic.net

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

In article <6mroig$h3n$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

se...@koyote.com wrote:

> In article <6mrhg9$5ht$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> e...@bellatlantic.net wrote:
> >
> > In article <6mrdgn$tp0$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> > ems...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> > > My cousin was healed at a Benny Hinn service. I dont think she was a
member
> > > of his supposed grand conspiracy.
> > >
> > If your cousin was healed at a Hinn crusade Im sure it had nothing to do
with
> > Benny. Or maybe it was psychosymantic(sp)?
> >
> > Eric

> Is this your explanation for all spiritual healing??

No its not. I believe in healing, I just dont believe a heretic like Hinn
would have anything to do with someones healing. He's a complete charlatan
(as opposed to a Charlatan UK).

eric

T.L. Bryant

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

In article
<77A53D59FCA88FE9.7EC5281E...@library-proxy.airnews.net>,
hat...@fastlane.net says...

>- Healings are always for internal maladies, like "bad knees" or "back
>pain". Never is the healing anything that can be seen. A scar has never
>physically disappeared in view of anyone. A finger or eye has never
>spontaneously grown back. Benny Hinn always covers his stage with
>crutches and wheelchairs, but never artificial limbs.
>
>- Most of Hinn's on-stage healings aren't that at all. As shown on the
>recent TV expose', folks who show up with testimonials of Hinn's healing
>are invited to show their dramatic results on stage. People with genuine
>visible maladies, like amputated limbs, advanced cancer, emphysema, etc.
>are not invited on the stage.
>
>- James Randi's still got his 1.2 million. He's offered Hinn the money
>if he can perform a genuine healing under controlled conditions, but
>Hinn has declined. Actually, I don't blame Hinn --why Hinn want 1.2
>million dollars or the notoriety of being the first man to perform a
>healing that stands up to peer-review. That'd be bad for business :)
>
>It remains to be said whether Hinn is a crank or a charlitan. He does
>not, however, provide any healing that couldn't occur by natural means.

I was at a local Borders bookstore one evening and a guy there was a licensed
hypnotherapist giving a talk and peddling some books. He helps people use the
power of their own mind to heal whatever ails them. There's not much difference
in what this guy does and what Benny Hinn or other so-called "faith healers"
do.

As far as televangelists that belong in the Hall of Shame. There are two from
Ohio that I nominate: Ernest Angley and Leroy Jenkins.

Ernest Angley: Still runs a church in Akron. Owns and operates WBNX, Ch 55 , in
Akron, where they are so backwards that they still censor the words "damn" and
"hell" wherever they appear. I even saw a commercial for a country music radio
station once when Garth Brooks came on and said "It's one helluva
ride". This was even edited! It bills itself as a TV station that provides
"wholesome family entertainment" yet, like Pat Robertson's Family Channel,
shows old TV westerns, which were some of the most racist and violent shows of
their time. He shows a lot of visits to underdevoleped nations where he is
speaking to a crowd with the aide of an interpreter.

Leroy Jenkins: Operates (or used to) Delaware, Ohio, just North of Columbus.
This guy would make more money as an Elvis impersonator. He wears the tackiest
tuxedos I've ever seen. Public humilation of teenagers in his audience seemed
to be a thing with him when he was televised locally (especially when the
teenagers were female and VERY attractive.) An example of this was when he
claimed to be able to "cast out" the demons of drug use or alcoholism. He
wanted every teenager who did drugs or drank to come up on stage. One or two
did voluntarily, but then he said, "I'm gonna find out who's doin' drugs or
drankin' and I'm gonna point to you and I want you to go up thar on stage"
Then he added, "Ah know summa you don't wanna come on stage 'cause you don't
want your mama to know you do drugs. Well. I'ma gonna tell you sumthin. Your
mama is gonna find out, 'cause your daddy's gonna tell 'er!" (Daddy, meaning
himself) Again, very few boys, and a LOT of VERY attractive teenage girls were
called to come up on stage.
I don't know whatever happened to Rev. Leroy, but the last I saw of him on
television, he was doing the same as Ernest Angley: broadcasting from another
country with a interpreter by his side. That was about ten years ago.

--

Anti-spam measures in place. Delete the obvious in my address to reply.

se...@koyote.com

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

In article <35921de9...@news.inet.tele.dk>,
tony...@post6.tele.dk wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:46:08 GMT, se...@koyote.com wrote:
>
> >In article <6mrhg9$5ht$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> > e...@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> >> If your cousin was healed at a Hinn crusade Im sure it had nothing to do with
> >> Benny. Or maybe it was psychosymantic(sp)?
> >>
> >> Eric
> >

> >Is this your explanation for all spiritual healing??
> >

> What spiritual healing?? All I hear are anecdotes.
>
> Thomas P.

Call it what you want. Spiritual healing is very real.

se...@koyote.com

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

In article
<77A53D59FCA88FE9.7EC5281E...@library-proxy.airnews.net
>, hat...@fastlane.net wrote:

> se...@koyote.com wrote:
>
> >In article <6mrhg9$5ht$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> > e...@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> >> If your cousin was healed at a Hinn crusade Im sure it had nothing to do with
> >> Benny. Or maybe it was psychosymantic(sp)?
> >

> >Is this your explanation for all spiritual healing??
>

> Can't vouch for Kennon, but that's a big "yes" for me.
>
> Let's look at the facts.
>

> - Healings are always for internal maladies, like "bad knees" or "back
> pain". Never is the healing anything that can be seen. A scar has never
> physically disappeared in view of anyone. A finger or eye has never
> spontaneously grown back. Benny Hinn always covers his stage with
> crutches and wheelchairs, but never artificial limbs.

Internal is the key word. Spiritual healing must come from within as the
spirit is within. As for no physical appearance of healing, I've known
people with bodies ravaged by cancer brought back to full health. You cant
tell me it's all fake, and even if the healing occured through our own mental
powers and not from the touch of the Lord, atheists wont be receiving much
needed healing. Christians benefit either way.

> - Most of Hinn's on-stage healings aren't that at all. As shown on the
> recent TV expose', folks who show up with testimonials of Hinn's healing
> are invited to show their dramatic results on stage. People with genuine
> visible maladies, like amputated limbs, advanced cancer, emphysema, etc.
> are not invited on the stage.

My cousin reported seeing a young deaf boy who gained hearing right on stage.

se...@koyote.com

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

In article <35915d6a...@news.c-com.net>,
k...@phoenix.net (Kennon Baird) wrote:

> e...@bellatlantic.net wrote:
>
> >> My cousin was healed at a Benny Hinn service. I dont think she was a member
> >> of his supposed grand conspiracy.
> >>
> >If your cousin was healed at a Hinn crusade Im sure it had nothing to do with
> >Benny.
>
> Or Jesus.

You obviously dont know Jesus.

Brian Barnson

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

In article <6mroig$h3n$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, se...@koyote.com says:
<snip>

>> If your cousin was healed at a Hinn crusade Im sure it had nothing to do with

>> Benny. Or maybe it was psychosymantic(sp)?

Or possibly psycho-ceramic. aka crackpot?

Brian, in Calgary

Note: address slightly fiddled to frustrate spammers, it's really:
*** luddite at cadvision dot com ***

Kennon Baird

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

se...@koyote.com wrote:

>You obviously dont know Jesus.

Here's a shocker: You don't "know Jesus" either. All you "know" is
what others want you to believe for their own personal gain.

The dirty little secret of religion is that any feelings you attribute
to Jesus or "salvation" are of your own creation.

Preachers are quacks dispensing spiritual sugar-water. If the patient
"improves", they take the credit. If not, well, the patient's faith
just wasn't strong enough. The quack and his pap are never, ever to
blame.

Jesus - if he ever lived - has fallen to dust. Give it up.

Kennon

tony...@post6.tele.dk

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 16:54:44 GMT, se...@koyote.com wrote:

>In article <35921de9...@news.inet.tele.dk>,
> tony...@post6.tele.dk wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:46:08 GMT, se...@koyote.com wrote:

snip

>> >Is this your explanation for all spiritual healing??
>> >

>> What spiritual healing?? All I hear are anecdotes.
>>
>> Thomas P.
>

>Call it what you want. Spiritual healing is very real.

Of course it is. Thank you for the assertion. An assertion is always
preferable to a reasoned argument or actual evidence.

Thomas P.

John Hattan

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

se...@koyote.com wrote:

>> - Healings are always for internal maladies, like "bad knees" or "back
>> pain". Never is the healing anything that can be seen. A scar has never
>> physically disappeared in view of anyone. A finger or eye has never
>> spontaneously grown back. Benny Hinn always covers his stage with
>> crutches and wheelchairs, but never artificial limbs.
>
>Internal is the key word.

So are you suggesting that god cannot make a limb grow back, or are you
ready to produce evidence of Hinn causing removed lungs and kidneys to
miraculously grow back.

>Spiritual healing must come from within as the spirit is within.

Where within? Apparently not in the arms, legs, or head, as Hinn can't
make hands, feet, or eyes grow back.

Somewhere in the thorax, presumably.

We'll find this elusive spirit!

>As for no physical appearance of healing, I've known
>people with bodies ravaged by cancer brought back to full health.

Again, it's something that can be explained outside of the realm of the
miraculous --spontaneous remissions do occur from time to time. Limbs
and organs, however, do not grow back. Bones do not un-break. No faith
healer can seem to make things happen that don't happen spontaneously.

Frankly, given the sheer mediocrity of the work of faith healers, I must
ask. . .who is the crank, Benny Hinn or God?

>You cant
>tell me it's all fake, and even if the healing occured through our own mental
>powers and not from the touch of the Lord, atheists wont be receiving much
>needed healing.

In fact, a good friend of mine is recovering remarkably well from cancer
despite her atheism.

>Christians benefit either way.

Really? I'm quite good at healing despite my atheism. I haven't had a
significant illness apart from 2nd-grade tonsillitis

. . .and I believed in god back then!

>> - Most of Hinn's on-stage healings aren't that at all. As shown on the
>> recent TV expose', folks who show up with testimonials of Hinn's healing
>> are invited to show their dramatic results on stage. People with genuine
>> visible maladies, like amputated limbs, advanced cancer, emphysema, etc.
>> are not invited on the stage.
>
>My cousin reported seeing a young deaf boy who gained hearing right on stage.

I presume your cousin asked mom what kind of deafness the kid was
suffering from. Did he have cochlear implants that were no longer
necessary? Did his eardrums spontaneously grow back? Was a doctor there
with a flashlight to verify that his inner ear was no longer damaged?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, Sears. Once you've
got said evidence, you really need to report your findings to randi.org.
He's got a pile-o-cash for you as soon as you can stop making ambiguous
claims of mediocre healing and can produce some facts.

John Hattan

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

se...@koyote.com wrote:

>>>Is this your explanation for all spiritual healing??
>>
>> What spiritual healing?? All I hear are anecdotes.
>

>Call it what you want. Spiritual healing is very real.

Because you say it is. You have produced zero facts other than some
unimpressive hearsay from a relative.

Produce some facts or sit back down. FOAF stories don't hold water.

se...@koyote.com

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

In article <359291b2...@news.c-com.net>,

k...@phoenix.net (Kennon Baird) wrote:

> se...@koyote.com wrote:
>
> >You obviously dont know Jesus.
>
> Here's a shocker: You don't "know Jesus" either. All you "know" is
> what others want you to believe for their own personal gain.

I understand that your statement is your outside perception of Christianity.
However, I do know Jesus. True Christians gain a personal relationship with
Jesus Christ because he is a real and alive. Jesus can speak to us in many
ways, and it is absurd to claim that it is all our imagination. I dont base
my beliefs and faith solely on what some preacher says. I gain my faith by
reading the Bible, and spending quiet time with the Lord. You have no idea of
what's really going on..

> The dirty little secret of religion is that any feelings you attribute
> to Jesus or "salvation" are of your own creation.

Gee, is a concidence that my "feelings" are similiar to other Christian's
spiritual experiences.

> Preachers are quacks dispensing spiritual sugar-water. If the patient
> "improves", they take the credit. If not, well, the patient's faith
> just wasn't strong enough. The quack and his pap are never, ever to
> blame.

Preachers provide cost free conseling and real life concern for a person's
needs. Can your atheistic secular world make such claims?

> Jesus - if he ever lived - has fallen to dust. Give it up.

Give it up and what? Live a meaningless life with no source of hope or
healing?

> Kennon

e...@bellatlantic.net

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

In article <359291b2...@news.c-com.net>,
k...@phoenix.net (Kennon Baird) wrote:

> se...@koyote.com wrote:
>
> >You obviously dont know Jesus.
>
> Here's a shocker: You don't "know Jesus" either. All you "know" is
> what others want you to believe for their own personal gain.
>
> The dirty little secret of religion is that any feelings you attribute
> to Jesus or "salvation" are of your own creation.
>
> Preachers are quacks dispensing spiritual sugar-water. If the patient
> "improves", they take the credit. If not, well, the patient's faith
> just wasn't strong enough. The quack and his pap are never, ever to
> blame.
>
> Jesus - if he ever lived - has fallen to dust. Give it up.
>
> Kennon

This is a such a rediculous statement! I dont know where to start? First
off, no one tells me what to believe, I read the Bible and make my own
decisions. 2nd there is more than enough evidence of Jesus' life, death and
resurrection. Not just Biblical but historical also. And I do know Jesus!
Never met him but there is enough in the Bible to to base my beliefs and love
for Jesus.

I just have a question for you Kennon and Im not being condescending or self
rightous when I talk to you. Have you fully checked out what the Bibl