Blade Runner 2049 (my short review; no spoilers)

Neil Rieck

Oct 7, 2017, 9:51:38 AM10/7/17
Blade Runner 2049 (my short review; no spoilers)

I watched Blade Runner 2049 (in 3d) on at 11:30 AM on Friday (Oct-6). I'm glad I went in the early morning "fully alert" because this movie weighs in at 163 minutes (2 hours 43 minutes). That said, I liked the movie.

Now I didn't have high expectations as I entered the theater because Ridley Scott’s initially underrated 1982 adaptation of a novel by Philip K. Dick, set the bar too high (how would would anyone top Beethoven's Ninth? And yet, music did survive). Perhaps this high bar is one reason why it required 35 years for a sequel.

Hardly anyone has seen the movie yet so I wont post any spoilers here. But I have posted a half dozen (so far) at this location:

http://neilrieck.net/links/blade_runner.html#hoverspoilers_br2049

Caveat: When I first watched Blade Runner in 1982, I recall attending the theater as a group of 4 couples. In that first showing, only a few people really liked the movie while the others thought it so-so. Like "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "TRON", Blade Runner grew into a cult classic through the re-showings. BR:2049 is long and dense. I suspect it will needed to be rewatched a few times to appreciate the whole offering.

Neil Rieck
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
http://neilrieck.net
http://neilrieck.net/links/blade_runner.html