Bill being mormon or not

clas...@ccvax.ucd.ie

May 12, 1993, 4:59:59 PM5/12/93
Bill is not a mormon(I think!) he is just a moron, although a very rich
one at that...lucky bas....

Fred Freeland

May 13, 1993, 6:26:57 PM5/13/93
In article <1993May12.1...@ccvax.ucd.ie> clas...@ccvax.ucd.ie writes:
>Bill is not a mormon(I think!) he is just a moron, although a very rich

Of all the things in the world that Bill Gates is, or might be, a "moron"
certainly isn't one of them. It's a clever play with letters, but it just
doesn't wash. Bill Gates is probably one of the most focused, technically
astute people you could ever know. His interests are broad and he's
well read in all kinds of highly technical areas. One of his favorites
is bio-technology, like advanced medical research stuff. Moron's typically
don't take up this stuff as fun reading.

But it is nice that there's a newsgroup where people can take wild pot
shots a successful people. I read this group and respond when I can for
the pure entertainment pleasure of it.

--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr. "Of all the things I've lost, Microsoft Corporation I miss my mind the most!" One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080 internet: fr...@microsoft.com

Michael Olin

May 14, 1993, 12:51:52 AM5/14/93
fr...@microsoft.com (Fred Freeland) writes:

>Of all the things in the world that Bill Gates is, or might be, a "moron"
>certainly isn't one of them. It's a clever play with letters, but it just
>doesn't wash. Bill Gates is probably one of the most focused, technically
>astute people you could ever know. His interests are broad and he's

If he's so astute, how come he's still pushing such antiquated operating
system software???

==========

The definition of a mess: 8 megs of shit in a 640K box.
When the Clintonistas take guns ||| First week of March
away from the people, only the ||| came and went. So
Clintonistas will have guns... / | \ where's my Falcon?

Jesper Lauridsen

May 15, 1993, 9:04:36 AM5/15/93
fr...@microsoft.com (Fred Freeland) writes:

> Bill Gates is probably one of the most focused, technically
>astute people you could ever know.

Seeing that load of crap that you pass around as your signature,
I'm not going to take your judgement of intelligence as anything
but hot air.

>--
>Frederick F. Freeland Jr. "Of all the things I've lost, Microsoft Corporation I miss my mind the most!" One Microsoft Way
>Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080 internet: fr...@microsoft.com
>uucp: uunet!microsoft!fredf Opinions expressed over this signature are my OWN and not those of my employer!

--
I have things to do and News to read

Leo Mekenkamp

May 14, 1993, 5:34:54 AM5/14/93
In article <1993May13.2...@microsoft.com> fr...@microsoft.com (Fred Freeland) writes:

>Of all the things in the world that Bill Gates is, or might be, a "moron"
>certainly isn't one of them. It's a clever play with letters, but it just
>doesn't wash. Bill Gates is probably one of the most focused, technically
>astute people you could ever know. His interests are broad and he's
>well read in all kinds of highly technical areas. One of his favorites
>is bio-technology, like advanced medical research stuff. Moron's typically
>don't take up this stuff as fun reading.

I give you one quote: "OS/2 is a dead end."
Anybody who says that has to be a moron, no matter wat his intentions with
that quote were.

>But it is nice that there's a newsgroup where people can take wild pot
>shots a successful people. I read this group and respond when I can for
>the pure entertainment pleasure of it.

The only reason that BG became a success is MSDOS; if IBM had the brains to
write an OS themselves, or if DR did not act so stupid, the whole world
would not have heard of Billy 'The Boy Wonder'.

Just my view...

Leo

----------------------- "There's Klingons on the starboard bow, ----------
Leo Mekenkamp scrape 'em off Jim!" ___
Klikspaanweg 53/6 ___....-----'---`-----....___
2324 LZ Leiden =========================================
The Netherlands ___`---..._______...---'___
071-323476 (___) _|_|_|_ (___)
\\____.-'_.---._`-.____//
Meke...@STPC.WI.LeidenUniv.NL `~~~~`.__`---'__.'~~~~'
L...@STHP.WI.LeidenUniv.NL ~~~~~

Jason McCalla

May 15, 1993, 8:22:23 PM5/15/93
MO =-> If he's so astute, how come he's still pushing such antiquated
MO =-> operating system software???

duh. Microsoft is selling what people are buying! Blame the public.

Message has been deleted

David Steckler

May 16, 1993, 11:00:15 PM5/16/93
In article <MEKENKAMP....@STPC.WI.LeidenUniv.NL> MEKE...@STPC.WI.LeidenUniv.NL (Leo Mekenkamp) writes:

>I give you one quote: "OS/2 is a dead end."
>Anybody who says that has to be a moron, no matter wat his intentions with
>that quote were.

Of course I'm biased :-), but I agree with that statement to a certain
degree. However, as someone else pointed out, we are starting to advertise
DOS 6 as an "upgrade" from OS/2 so perhaps OS/2 is such a dead end after
all. :-) <smile!>

>The only reason that BG became a success is MSDOS; if IBM had the brains to
>write an OS themselves, or if DR did not act so stupid, the whole world
>would not have heard of Billy 'The Boy Wonder'.
>
>Just my view...

I think you're correct in asserting the IBM hiring MS to write DOS was
necessary for Bill to get where he is, but it wasn't sufficient. I think
many things, including the corporate culture, the focus on "people as
MS's most valuable asset", and a host of other things allowed Bill to
use the "foot in the software industry door" he was given by IBM to make
this company what it is today. Many many companies have had industry
leading positions in one area or another, only to fail. Bill used the
initial opportunity he was given and ran with it and, so far, has
succeeded.

Just my view...

...Dave

David Steckler

May 16, 1993, 11:42:46 PM5/16/93
In article <1993May17.0...@microsoft.com> dav...@microsoft.com (David Steckler) writes:
>In article <MEKENKAMP....@STPC.WI.LeidenUniv.NL> MEKE...@STPC.WI.LeidenUniv.NL (Leo Mekenkamp) writes:
>>
>>I give you one quote: "OS/2 is a dead end."
>>Anybody who says that has to be a moron, no matter wat his intentions with
>>that quote were.
>
>Of course I'm biased :-), but I agree with that statement to a certain
>degree. However, as someone else pointed out, we are starting to advertise
>DOS 6 as an "upgrade" from OS/2 so perhaps OS/2 is such a dead end after
>all. :-) <smile!>

Well, that statement was as clear as mud. What I meant was, "I agree with
the statement that OS/2 is a dead end, but since we're now offering DOS
6 as an upgrade from OS/2, perhaps OS/2 isn't such a dead end after all."

...Dave

Jen Kilmer

May 17, 1993, 2:08:34 AM5/17/93
In article <1993May17.0...@microsoft.com> dav...@microsoft.com (David Steckler) writes:
>>I give you one quote: "OS/2 is a dead end." [...]

>Of course I'm biased :-), but I agree with that statement to a certain
>degree. However, as someone else pointed out, we are starting to advertise
>DOS 6 as an "upgrade" from OS/2 so perhaps OS/2 is such a dead end after
>all. :-) <smile!>

Actually, the MS-DOS 5 upgrade was also able to "upgrade" OS/2.

BTW, Dave, over here people get fined a quarter for dropping the
first two letters from the product name. But, hey, I've never
installed NT either ;>

-jen

--

#include <stdisclaimer> // je...@microsoft.com // msdos testing

David Steckler

May 17, 1993, 2:57:02 AM5/17/93
In article <1993May17....@microsoft.com> je...@microsoft.com (Jen Kilmer) writes:

>BTW, Dave, over here people get fined a quarter for dropping the
>first two letters from the product name. But, hey, I've never
>installed NT either ;>

Yeah, gotta protect them copyrights. I can just imagine Apple needing
another stalling measure and suing us for the rights to the look and feel
of the word, "MSDOS". :-)

...Dave

My employer doesn't even _know_ I have these opinions.

Leo Mekenkamp

May 17, 1993, 6:12:54 AM5/17/93
In article <1993May17.0...@microsoft.com> dav...@microsoft.com (David Steckler) writes:
[...]

>Well, that statement was as clear as mud. What I meant was, "I agree with
>the statement that OS/2 is a dead end, but since we're now offering DOS
>6 as an upgrade from OS/2, perhaps OS/2 isn't such a dead end after all."
>
> ...Dave

Please state why OS/2 is a dead end and why MSDOS 6.0 is better than OS/2?

Michael Olin

May 18, 1993, 12:11:41 AM5/18/93
mark...@sdf.lonestar.org (Jason McCalla) writes:

Your point is well taken. If people were to buy cars with the same
pre-purchase research as they put into buying computers, they'd be
going to donkey farms and ending up with pickup trucks...

I keep saying it, over and over like the Energizer Bunny:

If cars ran on MS-DOS, we'd be standing in front of the bumper
and cranking them to get them started.

Eric van Bezooijen

May 19, 1993, 8:21:30 PM5/19/93
In article <1993May13.2...@microsoft.com> fr...@microsoft.com (Fred Freeland) writes:
>In article <1993May12.1...@ccvax.ucd.ie> clas...@ccvax.ucd.ie writes:
>>Bill is not a mormon(I think!) he is just a moron, although a very rich
>
>Of all the things in the world that Bill Gates is, or might be, a "moron"
>certainly isn't one of them.

>One of his favorites

>is bio-technology, like advanced medical research stuff. Moron's typically
>don't take up this stuff as fun reading.

Au contraire, mon ami! Observe: << "Stimpy's invention" >>

Stimpy: Why, it's the happy helmet, Ren. Now you'll always be happy! And with this dial, I control *how* happy you are...
Ren: You seek leetle monkey, why I...
Stimpy: What do you know, it works!

And if you know anything about Ren & Stimpy, you know that Stimpy's brain is
about the size of a small kidney bean, classifying him as a definite moron.
And the happy-helmet (tm), is definitely a major bio-technology invention.
So, the proof is there, QED.

heavy =O), BTW.

>But it is nice that there's a newsgroup where people can take wild pot
>shots a successful people. I read this group and respond when I can for
>the pure entertainment pleasure of it.

What a coincidence! Me too...
--
"I have ... Cary Grant karma, because I always prevail! Barry has Mussolini
karma, because he was doing great for a while, and then he had a really bad

Adam Frampton

May 20, 1993, 6:31:52 AM5/20/93
Bill Gates? Hmmm... I used to read alt.fan.bill-gates, until I wrote Bill
at his E-MAIL and received a nasty call from his secretary. Anyone
interested in Billg's unfiltered E-MAIL address contact me :)

--
.... fram...@access.digex.com fram...@access.digex.net
Adam Frampton THE ENDLESS HIGHWAY BBS, co-sysop 301-365-8911