It took me almost 20 years to admit it

lowen....@gmail.com

May 24, 2019, 12:07:30 AM5/24/19
BGC 2040 kind of sucks...

Watching it again because I am craving some stable nostalgia in my life at the moment.

It's not the worst thing I ever saw, and it still has a few very small things over the original, like a consistent plan for world building and building story arcs. And the character designs over all are pretty good. But the story kind of sucks, the dialog is pretty rough, it's over all not as interesting. Oh, and the boomers are dumb.

I have also watched the OVAs recently and they are as good as they have ever been.

Next up, AD Police and BGCrash.

Erik Garrett

May 24, 2019, 8:16:16 AM5/24/19
Bert, Shawn,Gryph, Hedge,and Megazone wrote much better story arcs as fan fics. Wish some of them had been optioned. With the todays tools it wouldn't be too difficult to remake the show and give those stories a new lease on life. Too bad the lawyers would kill it in a heartbeat.

Dustin Kopplin

May 24, 2019, 8:57:58 AM5/24/19
2040 was my first exposure to the BGC universe, and i watched it in a wierd order wher I saw the last half first and the first half last. Actually I saw it in spanish in a hotel room in Ecuador on a missions trip in 2002 as my very first exposure.

Seeing it at 16 or 17, I didnt think it was bad at all, but seeing how its been about 20 years for me since I saw the whole series, its about time I buckle down and rewatch it. My only main complaint is that Auten cant sing for a damn as Priss, its the equivelant of nails on a chalkboard terrible. Still grates on my nerves to this day thinking about it.

I would make a remark about "well, its not as bad as Crash" but Crash can be pretty entertaining to an audience if you watch the dub with it, and you dont get that kind of enjoyment from 2040 it seems.

Dartz

May 26, 2019, 4:36:17 PM5/26/19
2040 started with some good ideas - especially on boomers and Sylia's origin in relation to them. It opens fine - in a sort of clean, late 90's sort of way.

It goes to shit about the time everything starts melting, and gets silly when the skyscraper turns into a naked girl and blasts to orbit in a sort of evangelion knockoff. It could've done without the whole Sotai effect thing.

It just wasn't as fun. The original series did a lot of - in hindisight, gonzo things - but they were fun and entertaining the whole time and the soundtrack kept it's end up - while the animation was more interesting to look at. It had more colour and shade - it wasn't just sort of bland pastel. There was a lot more black used.

Ltcmdrschmitzer

May 27, 2019, 4:37:13 PM5/27/19
I tried watching 2040 myself when it came out and I saw very little that appealed to me whereas the OAVs still stand up to this day and the animation is incredible eve more in hi-def Blu-ray.