Song list from the O2

Suzan

May 4, 2011, 8:52:14 PM5/4/11
The most recent twitter and email updates from fans who attended the
O2 shows list the set-list as follows:

(Sounds like a fabulous show! I wish I could have been there...)

Riders to the Stars
Daybreak
Somewhere in the Night
Looks Like We Made it
Can't Smile without You
Stay
Weekend in New England
Who's Been Sleeping In my Bed
New York City Rhythm
Studio Musician
Bring on Tomorrow
All I Need is the Girl (duet with Lorna Luft)
Bermuda Triangle
Best Seat in the House
Talk to Me
Mandy
Could it Be Magic
Copacabana
One Voice

Suzan

May 4, 2011, 8:53:35 PM5/4/11

> O2 shows list the set-list as follows:

Oops, I think I missed I write the songs.

meshuga

May 4, 2011, 9:00:18 PM5/4/11

> Riders to the Stars
> Stay
> Studio Musician
> Talk to Me

I saw him do "Studio Musician" several times at the Hilton and "Talk
To Me" at Radio City…both songs were AMAZING live. I wish he'd do
"Stay" here in the US! And as for "Riders," well…who hears that and
doesn't think of the intro to the '77 concert album? Love it.

No wonder the Brits adore him…he dusts off some real treats for them
when he performs. I'm sure they're eating up every second…I sure would
be!

Amy

Brenda M

May 4, 2011, 9:29:16 PM5/4/11
Wow - what a great set list!

I'm sure everybody had a blast. :-)

Thanks for posting this, Suzan!

Nash's Gramma

May 4, 2011, 11:14:38 PM5/4/11
When I still had access to MMN, Barry asked what songs people would
like to hear at theO2. He said there was a small chance it might be
recorded for a future live album. (if I remember correctly) I was one
of tje first posters to respond and I suggested "Stay", and many
people chimed in agreeing. I'm so glad to hear he included it, and
hope he adds it to the Paris show.
CA Sharon

Nash's Gramma

May 4, 2011, 11:16:49 PM5/4/11
On May 4, 6:29 pm, Brenda M <bmesku...@aol.com> wrote:

One question, does anyone know if he sang "Stay" with anyone, ala
James Jolis and Kevin DeSimone?

marvin

May 5, 2011, 7:25:32 AM5/5/11

It also makes sense for him to do "All I Need Is The Girl" given
that the songwriter was Frank Loesser, one of the composers Barry is
doing in the BBC2 radio series, and the series is still running for a
few more weeks. Glad that Lorna Luft is in Britain and will be doing
it as a duet with his close friend. Wonder if she and Barry will be
dancing in this song- given his hips, it better be a slow dance. For
those who never heard Lorna Luft before, her voice intonation sounds
very much like her mother Judy Garland. Marvin

dcsharon

May 5, 2011, 9:37:24 AM5/5/11
On May 4, 8:52 pm, Suzan <suzan.obe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The most recent twitter and email updates from fans who attended the

> Riders to the Stars

A couple people emailed me and said that he did "I'm Coming Back" ...
so maybe he just intro'ed that into Riders to the Stars? They didn't
include many details -- but a promise to "write more later".

In any event, sounds like a great show.

(DC) Sharon

marvin

May 5, 2011, 7:20:53 PM5/5/11

If there was a way that Barry can do more of these songs as he
calls them "album cuts" in his Vegas shows, I think that he will have
more repeat business from Barry fans to go to his shows. I am aware
that he can't really change the shows that much each night, but if he
can do select albums cuts once per month, then I think more fans will
come back to Vegas for the show.
What is very impressive about the 02 shows is that he has put into
the song list six or seven album cuts- a lot more than I expected- and
that is a good bulk of the show. Marvin

Brenda M

May 5, 2011, 8:31:12 PM5/5/11
This is true enough, Marvin - and I think, if Barry were younger,
that's exactly what he'd do...change up the Vegas shows more. And yes,
more fans would repeat.

But it's probably too labor-intensive for him to change up the shows
as often as he used to.

And there's really nothing else to draw the fans there.

I loved the show I saw last year - but I don't want to go back and see
it again until he's changed it somewhat. Hopefully it won't be too
long.

Brenda

marvin

May 5, 2011, 10:15:25 PM5/5/11
On May 5, 9:37 am, dcsharon <dcsha...@aol.com> wrote:

And another great thing about the shows.. no opening act. (Am I
Right?)
And if there was an opening act.. hopefully no Mentalist.
How bad was the Mentalist when he was Barry's opening act in
Florida?
I found my dentist who gave me dental implants a lot less painful
and more entertaining than the Mentalist.
I am glad the Brits were spared this opening act. Marvin

dcsharon

May 6, 2011, 10:28:46 AM5/6/11
On May 5, 10:15 pm, marvin <marv...@gmail.com> wrote:

>    And another great thing about the shows.. no opening act. (Am I
> Right?)

There is an opening act - the guys from Straight No Chaser have been
tweeting about performing with Barry and they are his opening act.

They also perform "One Voice" at the end (HWSBN tweeted a classic
photo of that moment -- and I think, if you squint, you might see 3 of
the SNC guys on one side of the stage ...)

Sounds like he's pulling out all the stops for the UK.

(DC) Sharon

dcsharon

May 6, 2011, 10:41:56 AM5/6/11

One quick message I got this morning from my friends in the UK --

>> The sound and his voice were much better last night but the show was a wee bit shorter and he apologised for any hoarseness. She says that he is very happy and looks relaxed and is very giggly and moving around better than he has done in years. He sang 'Can't Smile' last night and the crowd sang with him and he stopped to listen and was just beaming and then he did a short reprise just to hear us again. A lovely moment and he looked genuinely touched.

==========

I'm sure they will write more when the shows are over, but that's the
lastest I have from across the pond.

(DC) Sharon

marvin

May 6, 2011, 10:54:26 AM5/6/11

Thanks for the post Sharon.
It seems like Straight No Closer is a good opening act. Marvin

Suzan

May 6, 2011, 6:46:07 PM5/6/11

>    What is very impressive about the 02 shows is that he has put into
> the song list six or seven album cuts- a lot more than I expected- and
> that is a good bulk of the show. Marvin

Ironically, I read a comment on the internet from a "civilian" who
attended the first O2 show that he wished there had been more of the
big hits and less album cuts. Guess you can't please everybody....

Luiz

May 6, 2011, 6:57:56 PM5/6/11
Did you notice how he avoided covers like the plague? (All I need is the girl doesn't really count, imho, because it's Broadway stuff).
Could it be that Barry's developed a cover song aversion? (Gershwins and Hammersteins not included)

dcsharon

May 6, 2011, 10:46:24 PM5/6/11
On May 6, 6:57 pm, Luiz <luizotaviobar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you notice how he avoided covers like the plague? (All I need is the girl doesn't really count, imho, because it's Broadway stuff).

The girls at the show said that he was using the "All I need is the
girl" segment to change his jacket.

If he's recording these shows for a CD -- then he has to throw in the
album cuts - as the fans won't buy another cover CD.

And, it's the UK. Although someone that knows the charting of songs
better than I do will probably correct me, but I believe Bermuda
Triangle made it on the charts in the UK (not in the US) and the UK
fans LOVE songs like Sweet Heaven and Stay.

(DC) Sharon

Nash's Gramma

May 7, 2011, 1:11:18 AM5/7/11
>>and the UK
> fans LOVE songs like Sweet Heaven and Stay.
>
> (DC) Sharon

Well, so do the US fans. At least, THIS US fan. :-)
CA Sharon

Brenda M

May 7, 2011, 8:11:54 AM5/7/11

Of course we do ... and if our numbers lived in an area as
geographically condensed as the U.K., I'll bet we would be getting
those songs too.

There's lots of U.S. fans, but we're just too spread out to prompt
Barry to change from the usual "civilian" show. About the only time
the U.S. fans can get a U.K.-style show is at a convention (which I
don't attend anymore, so I'm screwed).

Brenda

Jen

May 7, 2011, 4:53:47 PM5/7/11

I was at the O2 on Wednesday night, and it was great show. To clear
up, Barry sang All I Need Is the Girl himself, Lorna Luft appeared at
the end of the song. Her and Barry had a bit of play at the piano then
started singing some old song - not a Barry song, but I can't remember
what it was. Barry then left while Lorna sang the rest of the song,
she left and then Barry reappeared having changed his jacket.

My favourite part of the show was the centre walkway had fluorescent
lights around the edge which weren't turned on, the first time Barry
went to walk up it, he said he couldn't see and needed them turned on
and they were turned on. The second time he went to go up they
weren't turned on and Barry wasn't happy he said he was worried he'd
fall off and then went up the aisle pointing at each light on the way
saying, "Fisty dollars...fifty dollars...fifty dollars" and complained
they were only bought at K-Mart anyway and were a complete waste of
money - he was really pissed!

Anyway, a great show.

Brenda M

May 7, 2011, 6:21:13 PM5/7/11
> Anyway, a great show.- Hide quoted text -

Jen,

I love hearing little tidbits like that - makes the whole thing more
real for those of us who can't be there.

Hope we'll get to hear some more details like that...and hope Barry
was less pissed tonight!

Brenda

Choo Choo

May 7, 2011, 7:47:55 PM5/7/11
> Lorna Luft appeared at the end of the song. Her and Barry had a bit of play at the piano then
> started singing some old song - not a Barry song, but I can't remember
> what it was. Barry then left while Lorna sang the rest of the song,
> she left and then Barry reappeared having changed his jacket.

She sang Rock-a-Bye My Baby With a Dixie Melody. I saw it on our
favorite video sharing site.....along with several others... ;)
Chris

marvin

May 8, 2011, 1:05:40 AM5/8/11

Rock A Bye My Baby was a big hit for Lorna's mother Judy Garland and
Lorna sounds so much like Judy in her rendition of this song. Thanks
Chris for letting us know of the video. Marvin

patricia

May 8, 2011, 8:12:12 PM5/8/11
I'll keep this brief, however offer a little detail from the shows at
the 02.

First night Barry also sang Sandra as a duet with Keely. On this night
he struggled at times and his voice weakened as the show went on,
however he gave all he possibly could give. It got to the point where
he held the mic out to the crowd during Mandy and asked us to sing as
his voice had gone (his words). Show 2 there was a vast improvement
for him, but when it came to Mandy the audience sang with him anyway.
He chose Best Of Me this night (replaced Best Seat In The House from
the previous night). Here he made me smile as he sang "saved the best
of you for me", realised the mistake, quickly said "saved the best of
me for you, then held his hand to his head as in a gun and shot
himelf..so funny! Night 3 his voice had gotten even better and for him
vocally this was his best night. Last show his vocals weakened, but
better than the first night. He closed with Forever And A Day. It was
pretty remarkable to be up close for this one as Barry did suffer the
curse of vocal letdown, but he threw his everything into this one
regardless of the strain. His whole body shook and his hands tembled
as to help force his voice out there. I have to admit it was out of
this world. Though it had been a tough 4 days for him as a singer in
parts he never give less than all he could give and pushed beyond
comfortable for him.

All in all Barry gave the 02 audiences an amazing 4 nights. He seemed
happy to be there and regardless of his vocals not allowing him to be
at the top of his game throughout he put everything he possibly could
into it. I'm sure I speak for the entire UK he's welcome back anytime
and we are grateful and honoured for his visit.

patricia

May 8, 2011, 8:34:56 PM5/8/11

PS He did mention there will be a dvd

patricia

May 8, 2011, 10:06:00 PM5/8/11

PPS..Gosh this could be a long night. Said I was tired. Anyway I've
just watched back Barry's mess up with Best Of Me For You and he got
his 'for' and 'of' back-to-front. He actually sang "...and I only hope
that in return I may have saved the best FOR me OF you"

Lulu

May 8, 2011, 11:16:21 PM5/8/11
> PS He did mention there will be a dvd- Hide quoted text -

Hi Patricia,

Very good review. I was there myself and loved the shows, of course.
But, I am more a "photographer" than a "writer".

For those reading this thread, here is a link to a few pictures that I
took (maybe you have to copy and paste the link):

http://www.pbase.com/bmfangermany/barry_manilow_2011

The gallery is password-protected and the password for now is
Greenwich. Please check out the pictures when you get the time, as I
will be changing the password soon.

Lulu
Germany

Nash's Gramma

May 8, 2011, 11:46:04 PM5/8/11
> Germany- Hide quoted text -

I just tried that password, and it didn't work. You really didn't give
people much time, did you?
CA Sharon

Dunbar

May 9, 2011, 12:29:46 AM5/9/11

Sorry to hear about his voice- I know that 15 minute intro he did on
his website, it was painful to listen to him. Wonder if it's
bronchial or if he has just strained his vocal chords beyond their
limit- anyhoo, glad he gave four great shows!

Lulu

May 9, 2011, 3:28:40 AM5/9/11
> CA Sharon- Hide quoted text -

Why would I not give people much time? The password works. Check
your spelling.

IreneH

May 9, 2011, 5:33:51 AM5/9/11
> your spelling.- Hide quoted text -

Great photos. Nice to see the view from the other side of the arena
as I was on the left hand side on Wednesday.
IreneH

Lulu

May 9, 2011, 6:18:54 AM5/9/11
> IreneH- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for looking at the pictures, Irene. I was on the right side
for 3 shows and I really enjoyed the view from there, especially
because it is facing the piano.

Lulu

scotconnect

May 9, 2011, 9:03:12 AM5/9/11
On May 5, 12:52 am, Suzan <suzan.obe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The most recent twitter and email updates from fans who attended the
> O2 shows list the set-list as follows:
>
> (Sounds like a fabulous show!  I wish I could have been there...)
>
> Riders to the Stars
> Daybreak
> Somewhere in the Night
> Looks Like We Made it
> Can't Smile without You
> Stay
> Weekend in New England
> Who's Been Sleeping In my Bed
> New York City Rhythm
> Studio Musician
> Bring on Tomorrow
> All I Need is the Girl (duet with Lorna Luft)
> Bermuda Triangle
> Best Seat in the House
> Talk to Me
> Mandy
> Could it Be Magic
> Copacabana
> One Voice

scotconnect

May 9, 2011, 9:18:14 AM5/9/11

Ok First time ive posted on here for YEARS, so be gentle with me!!
Nice to see so many old friends! I was at all 4 concerts. The only
time he did the set quoted above but without BT(with additions posted
elsewhere) was on Wednesday. His voice was not good and he gave his
all to Talk to Me which effected the rest of the set IMO. Next 3
nights he did not sing Sandra, Talk to Me or Whose been Sleeping. He
replaced Weekend with TTGTF on Thursday and with Even Now on Fri &
Sat. He alternated Best Seat with Best of Me other nights and only
Sung Sweet Heavan on Thursday. He did BT the other nights (which was a
hit in UK but most of us would prefer he sung something else!) However
he did the encore Forever and a Day fri & Sat. Agree that voice was
best on Friday but he did joke about it. It was an excited audience
each night. Some of thought he looked very frail and was obviously
having trouble walking especially having to walk backwards down the
run way. he talked about the royal wedding on Thursday or maybe Friday
( memory not what it was) That reminds me that the orchestra played
the beginning of Memory before Mandy (sorry Brenda!) on Saturday but
he didnt sing it!

When he sung BT he joked that this was a great classical piece that
the orchestra had had to learn.

Caz

dcsharon

May 9, 2011, 9:53:30 AM5/9/11
On May 8, 11:16 pm, Lulu <LuluBMM...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thank you, Lulu, for sharing your photos! You have such a gift for
catching "the best" of Barry!

I'm sure the 'Straight No Chaser' guys would love copies of the photos
you have with them if you'd like to share them.

Their website is www.sncmusic.com and you can post photos to their
page.

Thanks again ... and hope you have more to share.

(DC) Sharon

Brenda M

May 9, 2011, 1:38:34 PM5/9/11
Lulu!

So nice to see a familiar name - and I can't wait to see your photos.

By the way -

To call you a mere photographer is an understatement. You're an artist
with a camera.

If Barry doesn't have you on his payroll, he damn well should.

Brenda

Brenda M

May 9, 2011, 6:06:32 PM5/9/11

scotconnect wrote:
> That reminds me that the orchestra played
> the beginning of Memory before Mandy (sorry Brenda!) on Saturday but
> he didnt sing it!

He didn't sing "Memory"?

Life is good!

Just wish Barry felt better. I hate to see the words "hoarse" and
"frail" creeping into fan reviews.He tries SO hard to give his
audiences their money's worth. And it really looks like he would have
opened an artery on stage if it would have fixed the technical
difficulties.

God bless him.

Brenda

Ps - nice to see ya, Caz!

granny...@pandora.be

May 9, 2011, 6:17:24 PM5/9/11

I couldn't have said it any better Patricia, you said it all !!! I
had an amazing 4 nights with Barry at his best !!!
And it's not only the UK he's welcome back anytime but also his
European fans that are grateful and honoured for his visit, we are not
in the majority of course but there's quite alot of us... Belgians
(like me) , Dutch, Germans, French,Norwegians,Swedisch,
Danisch,.....and so many more who were there at the 02 to see Barry,
as for me, I was again bewitched, "bothered" and bewildered by his
performance !!!

Jeannine

granny...@pandora.be

May 9, 2011, 6:22:26 PM5/9/11
> CA Sharon- Hide quoted text -

I don't know what problem you had Sharon, but I just checked the link
to Lulu's photos and it worked fine for me !!!

Jeannine

patricia

May 9, 2011, 7:12:46 PM5/9/11
On May 9, 11:17 pm, "granny.ba...@pandora.be"
> Jeannine- Hide quoted text -

I realise Jeannine Barry has fans covering the entire world and
believe each and every country he's been before have their front door
unlocked for him to walk in. I had a German friend, a couple of
friends from France and a friend from Norway there. Also there were
quite a few from the States too. I'd like to say everyone from all
over the globe are welcome in the UK. It's great to see you enjoy a
British show with us. I know we get a little loud, but we've never
been told to be quiet and it's perfectly natural for us to make a
noise lol Thanks for travelling the distance to share Barry with us.

lnggu...@aol.com

May 10, 2011, 12:12:42 PM5/10/11
> Germany- Hide quoted text -

Hi Lulu! So good to hear from you. Glad you got to see the shows at
the O2. Your pictures, as always, are lovely. Thanks for sharing!
Janet(NY)

Kungen

May 11, 2011, 1:28:49 PM5/11/11
On 5 Maj, 02:52, Suzan <suzan.obe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The most recent twitter and email updates from fans who attended the
> O2 shows list the set-list as follows:
>
> (Sounds like a fabulous show!  I wish I could have been there...)
>
> Riders to the Stars
> Daybreak
> Somewhere in the Night
> Looks Like We Made it
> Can't Smile without You
> Stay
> Weekend in New England
> Who's Been Sleeping In my Bed
> New York City Rhythm
> Studio Musician
> Bring on Tomorrow
> All I Need is the Girl (duet with Lorna Luft)
> Bermuda Triangle
> Best Seat in the House
> Talk to Me
> Mandy
> Could it Be Magic
> Copacabana
> One Voice

Anyone who has the list for 7th of may?

Lulu

May 12, 2011, 6:31:07 AM5/12/11
On May 9, 3:53 pm, dcsharon <dcsha...@aol.com> wrote:
> On May 8, 11:16 pm, Lulu <LuluBMM...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you, Lulu, for sharing your photos!  You have such a gift for
> catching "the best" of Barry!
>
> I'm sure the 'Straight No Chaser' guys would love copies of the photos
> you have with them if you'd like to share them.
>
> Their website iswww.sncmusic.comand you can post photos to their

> page.
>
> Thanks again ... and hope you have more to share.
>
> (DC) Sharon

Hi Sharon,
Thanks very much for taking a look at the pictures. And thanks for
your kind comment. I will check out the SNC website and will try to
post some pictures there. Thanks for the link.
Lulu

Lulu

May 12, 2011, 6:34:53 AM5/12/11
> > Germany- Hide quoted text -

Oh, Brenda! You always make me feel good with your encouraging
words. The admiration is for you. You know how much I admire your
literary works. As I said before, you are my literary idol!

Lulu

Lulu

May 12, 2011, 6:35:40 AM5/12/11
On May 10, 12:22 am, "granny.ba...@pandora.be"
> Jeannine- Hide quoted text -

Thank you, Jeannine.

Lulu

Lulu

May 12, 2011, 6:38:22 AM5/12/11
> Janet(NY)- Hide quoted text -

Oh, my, Janet! Been so long! Hope to see you again one day.

Thanks for taking a look at the pictures and thanks for the kind
words. I was so happy to see Barry in the UK again.

Lulu

bearym...@telenet.be

May 15, 2011, 9:52:34 AM5/15/11
Lulu, only just got on line, wanted to check out your pics, but seems
you already changed the password ? What a shame.
Sorry didn't meet at the O2.
Passy xx

Lulu

May 15, 2011, 12:20:32 PM5/15/11
> > Lulu- Hide quoted text -

Hi Passy,

Sorry that you could not access the 02 pictures. I finally changed
the password last Friday.

I sent you an email with the password. Please try again.

Thanks, Passy.

Lulu

Robinann

May 16, 2011, 1:53:15 PM5/16/11
> PS He did mention there will be a dvd- Hide quoted text -

He also mentioned a cd of the shows.

I do hope the dvd keeps Straight No Chaser in. These men were
fantastic. It was funny; the audience would be talking with SNC came
out (as audiences do with opening acts). But, by their 3rd song, the
audience was hooked. Their song selections were brilliant; from
pairing I'm Yours/Somewhere Over the Rainbow to BillyJean/(That Girl
is) Poison and their whole Lady Gaga set were so entertaining.