Once Upon A Time Barry Manilow Youtube Clip

shado...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2011, 10:20:43 PM9/1/11
Youtube audio clip. Barry Manilow
singing Once Upon A Time from the
1962 musical All American. This was
posted by ChaosXify on August 26.
http://youtu.be?8f3MtQPDHM4
Linda

Michelle O

Sep 1, 2011, 11:09:07 PM9/1/11
On Sep 1, 7:20 pm, "shadowma...@gmail.com" <shadowma...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Wow! I wonder where, when, and why that was recorded. Beautiful!!!
thanks

Nash's Gramma

Sep 1, 2011, 11:31:30 PM9/1/11

Wow, that is gorgeous. Sounds like a studio recording or something.
There's no audience noise, and the orchestra is wonderful. I turned
the sound up on my computer, and turned on the voice memo feature on
my iphone, to save it in case it disappears, since I don't know how to
save it directly to my computer. I have loved that song since I was in
high school, and one of my favorite versions was done by Bobby Darin.
I think I might have heard Barry sing it in concert once, but I don't
remember for sure. mmmm. so smooth and wonderful....
CA Sharon

Steven Goldstein

Sep 1, 2011, 11:46:44 PM9/1/11
Putting my Manilowologist hat on, LOL, I would gather this is an
outtake from the Greatest Love Songs of All Time sessions. Barry did
sing this song in concert a couple of times way earlier in his career
- but given the deeper tones of his vocal, it has to be more recent.
And from a cover album. Since it's a 1962 song, it would either be
from Greatest Songs of the 60s or GLSOAT. This track does not sound
at all like the others on the 60s album, which had a less orchestral,
more sprightly production, imho, and conversely the orchestration and
vocal is very evocative of GLSOAT.

Nash's Gramma

Sep 2, 2011, 1:53:10 AM9/2/11
On Sep 1, 8:46 pm, Steven Goldstein <stevengoldstein.em...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I think it could also be from the Showstoppers era. It's a show tune,
after all. What I'm wondering is, who had access to it, regardless of
when it was recorded. And why leak it, or post it, now/ I've listened
to it a dozen times already and love it more with each listen.
CA Sharon

Angel

Sep 2, 2011, 2:39:07 AM9/2/11

The song is gorgeous and Barry does a lovely version. But I have Tony
Bennett etched in my memory, and its the version I adore. Always have,
always will.

Angel

Sep 2, 2011, 2:41:00 AM9/2/11
> always will.- Hide quoted text -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAaKt6_1qpE

For those who have`nt heard it before. sit back and drink it in.

Lulu

Sep 2, 2011, 4:38:32 AM9/2/11
On Sep 2, 4:20 am, "shadowma...@gmail.com" <shadowma...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Wow! This is gorgeous! (surely pulled me out of lurkdom. LOL)

Thanks for sharing this, Linda. I have seen Barry perform this song
at a concert, but I can't remember when or where. Maybe, RCMH in
2002, or maybe in the UK?

I wish Barry had put this on a CD, so with some "rare" (cover) songs
that he performed at concerts, like "April Showers", Someone To Watch
Over Me", My Funny Valentine", Time To say Goodbye", etc.

Lulu
(Germany)

Brenda M

Sep 2, 2011, 6:17:06 AM9/2/11

Lulu! Nice to see you posting!

I'm with you - I would have loved to have heard those songs on a CD.
The fact that Barry is so gorgeous singing them transcends the fact
that they're covers. :-)

Besides...all covers are NOT created equal, especially the ones Barry
would pick vs. the ones Clive picked. One has real taste .. the other
only thinks he does.

Brenda

Choo Choo

Sep 2, 2011, 6:50:02 AM9/2/11

Someone sent me an MP3 of this song recorded off his Radio Manilow
show. Barry didn't explain when he recorded it, but it's out there, so
I wouldn't worry about it disappearing from You Tube.

Chris

jtmtj

Sep 2, 2011, 8:00:57 AM9/2/11
On Sep 1, 8:09 pm, Michelle O <heybooche...@gmail.com> wrote:

"Once Upon A Time" and "My Funny Valentine" are both songs from the
catalog of one, Francis Albert Sinatra. Studio recordings of each
were made in 1997 for possible inclusion on the 1998 Sinatra album.
Neither made the cut, probably because Mr. Sinatra died in May of that
year. I'm guessing that better known gems from his catalog were
chosen in their place.

I don't think "Once Upon A Time" has ever been, officially, released,
so Manilow radio is a possible source for this Youtube posting. I'm
sure Barry will be thrilled to see his copyright infringed this way.

John

Brenda M

Sep 2, 2011, 8:27:11 AM9/2/11
On Sep 2, 8:00 am, jtmtj <jtm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think "Once Upon A Time" has ever been, officially, released,
> so Manilow radio is a possible source for this Youtube posting.  I'm
> sure Barry will be thrilled to see his copyright infringed this way.
>
> John

No doubt .... but in terms of copyright infringement, I think this is
the least of Barry's problems.

When I was at the show last week, I swear I counted at least a dozen
people in my section videotaping the show with their phones or their
cameras.

I did see a couple of security guards warn one woman to put her camera
down, but c'mon ... they can't police everybody.

The digital age has made people arrogant... and they seemingly just
don't give a damn anymore.

Brenda

jtmtj

Sep 2, 2011, 8:59:14 AM9/2/11
On Sep 2, 5:27 am, Brenda M <bmesku...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sep 2, 8:00 am, jtmtj <jtm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I don't think "Once Upon A Time" has ever been, officially, released,
> > so Manilow radio is a possible source for this Youtube posting.  I'm
> > sure Barry will be thrilled to see his copyright infringed this way.
>
> > John
>
> No doubt .... but in terms of copyright infringement, I think this is
> the least of Barry's problems.
>
> When I was at the show last week, I swear I counted at least a dozen
> people in my section videotaping the show with their phones or their
> cameras.
>
> I did see a couple of security guards warn one woman to put her camera
> down, but c'mon ... they can't police everybody.

I think Barry would be, equally, displeased with either situation,
Brenda.

> The digital age has made people arrogant... and they seemingly just
> don't give a damn anymore.

> Brenda

Those of us who do give a damn are, most certainly, in the minority.

John

Lulu

Sep 2, 2011, 11:48:53 AM9/2/11
> Brenda- Hide quoted text -

Thank you, Brenda.

Wouldn't it so nice if Barry recorded an album of cover songs that he
himself picked, like those songs he performed at concerts? He did
many of them through the years, surely enough to record a whole
album. I still get misty-eyed remembering his version of "Sunrise,
Sunset".

I am one of the few fans who did not completely dislike Barry's cover
albums. I loved hearing Barry's voice singing those familiar love
songs, although Clive's choices did not really impress me very much.

Lulu

Lulu

Sep 2, 2011, 12:30:43 PM9/2/11

> I am one of the few fans who did not completely dislike Barry's cover
> albums.

Correcting myself - I should have said: I am one of the few fans who
actually liked Barry's cover albums :-).

Lulu

Nash's Gramma

Sep 2, 2011, 3:38:08 PM9/2/11
On Sep 2, 5:27 am, Brenda M <bmesku...@aol.com> wrote:

Brenda, you kinda make it sound like this is a new problem. People
have been recording shows, both audio and video, since they first
invented recorders. I personally knew a fan back in the late 80's ,
early 90's, who would take her top of the line Walkman to the shows in
her evening bag, then when the lights went down, the recorder went on
her lap, with a piece of black tape over the red power light. I'm sure
a lot of us wouldn't remember some of the more memorable shows if we
hadn't seen/heard bootleg tapes over the years.

It's not that people don't give a damn. I think people don't
understand why it's such a big deal. Yes, management states no
recording, and yes, it's wrong to do it, but it's not like Barry is
singing anything new or unrecorded that might be pirated. And I
certainly don't think anyone is selling the videos they're recording,
so it's not lost income or royalty fees.

I remember way back when people used to argue the right or wrong of
bootlegs, and people would point out that Barry himself attempted to
bootleg Bette's concerts, and paid big bucks for someone to do it for
him. Sauce for the goose, and all that.
CA Sharon

Nash's Gramma

Sep 2, 2011, 3:41:55 PM9/2/11

I think one of the reasons people disliked the cover albums is that
although they might have been technically wonderful, there didn't seem
to be a lot of "heart" in them. One of the reasons I love this song,
besides the fact that it is one of my all time favorites songs, is
that he sings it with such enthusiasm and passion. JMHO, but when he
does covers like Showstoppers or Big Bands, he loves the material so
much, it comes through in his voice. When he's singing a song just
because he has to put together an album to fulfill a contractual
obligation, well, lets just say, I can hear the difference, even if
some might argue I'm nitpicking.

I'd love to see another Broadways show tunes album!
CA Sharon

Nash's Gramma

Sep 2, 2011, 3:45:31 PM9/2/11

Lulu,
According to info on the Barrynet, when Barry was doing the Clicker
tour, every once in a while, the clicker would stop on a Tony Bennett
album, and Barry would sing either this song, or As Time Goes By. I
only saw one of the shows in the clicker tour, and I'm thinking that
might be when I heard him sing this.
CA Sharon

shado...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2011, 4:51:52 PM9/2/11
> CA Sharon- Hide quoted text -

FYI so you all know and so the person who posted this on
Youtube get credit. ChaosXify is the person who posted
the clip on Youtube. This person has posted other Barry
Manilow clips.
Linda

dcsharon

Sep 2, 2011, 5:10:32 PM9/2/11
On Sep 2, 6:50 am, Choo Choo <hcok...@aol.com> wrote:

> Someone sent me an MP3 of this song recorded off his Radio Manilow
> show. Barry didn't explain when he recorded it, but it's out there, so
> I wouldn't worry about it disappearing from You Tube.
>
> Chris-

Chris --

It isn't the fact that it's 'going to disappear from you tube', but
the fact that it's unreleased.

How many more gems do you think might land on Radio Manilow if TPTB/
Barry know that they are going to end up on You Tube? My guess
NONE.

They give us something nice (for a change) and people have to post it
here that it's available... for all to see. Then You Tube gets
sweeped for ALL copywritten material so we lose the videos we like to
watch.

We'd find it on our own, without the announcement if people would just
leave well enough alone.

But that's not happening.

(DC) Sharon

Nash's Gramma

Sep 2, 2011, 9:05:48 PM9/2/11
On Sep 2, 1:51 pm, "shadowma...@gmail.com" <shadowma...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Does it matter who "gets credit" for posting it? After all, the poster
didn't write it, sing it, arrange it or record it. They just stole it.
CA Sharon

Nash's Gramma

Sep 2, 2011, 9:09:47 PM9/2/11

BTW, the video now says it's private. That was quick.
CA Sharon

MarcyB

Sep 2, 2011, 11:39:38 PM9/2/11

When I try to access the video I get a message that it is private.

Marcy

Brenda M

Sep 3, 2011, 3:01:04 AM9/3/11
On Sep 2, 11:48 am, Lulu <LuluBMM...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't it so nice if Barry recorded an album of cover songs that he
> himself picked, like those songs he performed at concerts?

Yes - absolutely. While I still prefer his original songs, I have
total faith that anything HE'D pick out would be wonderful. I say
this because, like you, I've been to enough shows where he's pulled
out these little gems (like "Someone To Watch Over Me" and "Time To
Say Goodbye") that totally blew me away. I think he has the best
instincts concerning what songs not only work best for him, but
connect best with his audience.

> I am one of the few fans who did not completely dislike Barry's cover
> albums.  I loved hearing Barry's voice singing those familiar love
> songs, although Clive's choices did not really impress me very much.

I honestly enjoyed the fifties album, and I LOVED Barry's rendition of
"Beyond the Sea," because it wasn't the popular version. It was
hauntingly beautiful and he made it his own. But I'm also too young to
have any real association with music from the fifties, or forties, or
earlier, so I honestly don't mind if he sings them because to me
they're mostly new anyway (I happen to enjoy the "American Bandstand"
routine he does in this current show, by the way). I think that's why
I also loved his Big Band covers too. But I really don't want to hear
him singing anything from the 60s or later, because those songs are
already too imbedded in my brain as to how they're supposed to sound.
Does that make any sense?

Brenda

Brenda M

Sep 3, 2011, 3:45:37 AM9/3/11
On Sep 2, 3:38 pm, "Nash's Gramma" <starns0...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Brenda, you kinda make it sound like this is a new problem. People
> have been recording shows, both audio and video, since they first
> invented recorders. I personally knew a fan back in the late 80's ,
> early 90's, who would take her top of the line Walkman to the shows in
> her evening bag, then when the lights went down, the recorder went on
> her lap, with a piece of black tape over the red power light. I'm sure
> a lot of us wouldn't remember some of the more memorable shows if we
> hadn't seen/heard bootleg tapes over the years.

Sorry - didn't mean to make it sound that way. Of course bootlegging
isn't a new problem - but I do think it's worse now.

First, the technology now makes bootlegging a piece of cake compared
to what it was. In the old days, fans would have to sneak in tape
recorders. And the result was usually a poor-quality tape that sounded
like Barry singing inside a tin can with fans whooping and hollering
over the top of it. These tapes really had no value except to the
fans, and it was really only fans who were making these bad cassette
tapes... I sure didn't see a lot of civilians trying to smuggle
Walkmans in their purses. And the video tapes from those early
camcorders - whoa, they were mostly terrible. Cameras were clunkier
then and usually the video quality was more migraine-inducing than
entertaining. To create anything even remotely usable meant knowing
what you were doing.

And, of course, we didn't have the Internet.

Now any idiot with a phone can video Barry singing, go home, and plunk
it onto YouTube. Copyright violations shared among an intimate circle
of five or six friends is bad enough .... but sharing it with hundreds
or even thousands has to be a nightmare for Camp Manilow. And what are
they going to do? They can't ban cameras like they used to, because
that would now mean banning cell phones. Good luck with that.

Also, in the past it was easier for security guards to spot someone in
the audience shouldering a video camera (with or without the blinking
red light). Now, they have to be careful, because yeah, there's Barry
performing in the viewfinder, but is the person just taking pictures,
or actually videotaping him? It takes some time to figure it out.

> It's not that people don't give a damn. I think people don't
> understand why it's such a big deal.

I think anyone who does anything creative feels violated when they
lose control of how, when and where they want their work shared, and
maybe someone who doesn't sing, or paint, or write doesn't really
"get" why it's such a big deal. So yeah, you could be right.

I also think these same people don't understand that the performance
isn't just about the star singing on the stage. There are back-up
singers and musicians behind him who are also involved. I imagine
there's a lot of legal issues involving royalties and such that muddy
the waters whenever something is distributed inappropriately.

Yes, management states no
> recording, and yes, it's wrong to do it, but it's not like Barry is
> singing anything new or unrecorded that might be pirated.

Just a crazy thought ... but remember when he used to introduce lots
of new songs during his shows? Maybe the fact that more people are
pirating his performances is one of the reasons he's backed away from
that.

But I do think this goes beyond the work simply being pirated and
sold. There's a "creepy" factor involved.

For example, I self-published a little book a few years back and sold
a few hundred copies, which was fine. Not a big deal to the world, but
a big deal to me. If I knew someone had taken what I wrote and
distributed it to a group of people without my knowledge, yeah, I'd be
pissed I lost out on some sales, but I'd mostly feel creeped out
knowing someone was taking away my control of my work. Am I making
sense? (it's 3:30 in the morning, so I wouldn't be suprised if I
wasn't!)

And I
> certainly don't think anyone is selling the videos they're recording,
> so it's not lost income or royalty fees.

I think that's a pretty general statement. I'm sure most fans don't
sell what they record, but I'm sure there are plenty of civilians who
would if they found a market for it.

> I remember way back when people used to argue the right or wrong of
> bootlegs, and people would point out that Barry himself attempted to
> bootleg Bette's concerts, and paid big bucks for someone to do it for
> him. Sauce for the goose, and all that.

> CA Sharon-

Even so, I can still understand why he'd want to fight to protect
what's his.

Just because you threw a rock through a window in your youth doesn't
mean you're not going to stop anyone who tries to throw one through
yours now, right?

Brenda

P.S. I'm not moralizing over the right or wrong of taping, because
while I'm not guilty of taping concerts, I am guilty of being the
recipient of a bootleg or two during my lifetime. A friend audio-
taped the concert where I sang with Barry, and that tape is PRECIOUS
to me. I'm simply saying I understand why Barry's people would
certainly be justified in feeling angry and frustrated when this sort
of thing happens.

Lulu

Sep 3, 2011, 9:15:38 AM9/3/11
> CA Sharon- Hide quoted text -

Thank you, Sharon.

I forgot about the clicker tour. Yes, that could have been the time
when Barry sang "Once Upon A Time". I can't remember of another time
or concert when Barry would have "randomly" sang a Tony Bennet song,
unless Tony Bennet was in the audience.

Lulu

marvin

Sep 3, 2011, 9:46:48 AM9/3/11

I like some of the cover albums- and like to call the more
established songs as standards.
One of the problems- besides Clive Davis' choices for songs in the
greatest songs of the decades series- was that it was a series of non-
stop covers for too many years..
An artist should do covers every few years to supplement original
material- not the other way around.
It seems that since the late 80s when Barry was with Arista, the
covers were overdone, with only 2 or 3 original music albums among
10-15 CDs being issued over the past 20 years- that is not enough
original material for an artist for 25 years.
Hopefully, with Barry now on his own label, we can look forward to
a lot more original material in the next ten years that he has done in
the past 25 years. It is great that Barry can close out his career on
his own terms- and looking forward to hearing more about Paradise Cafe
Two. Marvin

Kristen Cladek

Sep 5, 2011, 10:23:34 PM9/5/11

I agree 100%, I've only been for a few years but in the time I've been
a fan I've only witnessed the release of one original album (15
Minutes) and after the 5 or so cover albums, it was about Damn time!
Like there was a good chance that I would have dropped out of the
Manilow fan world because I was getting a little bored by the old and
remade material! I'm glad Barry has a HUGE catalog!

I think my favorite decade album was the '60s album because I'm a fan
of so many of the songs on it, but after that one it was hard to take
the albums seriously because the music was so embedded into my brain!
For example, I can't listen to "Never Gonna Give You Up" without
having the image of that little ginger Rick Astley singing it!!
(Though I do love Barry's cover of it! It was my favorite song on the
80's album)

-Kristen (I'm sorry if this post doesn't make sense, I'm exhausted!)

Mishel US

May 25, 2022, 9:07:35 PM5/25/22
пятница, 2 сентября 2011 г. в 05:20:43 UTC+3, shado...@gmail.com:
> Youtube audio clip. Barry Manilow
> singing Once Upon A Time from the
> 1962 musical All American. This was
> posted by ChaosXify on August 26.
> http://youtu.be?8f3MtQPDHM4
> Linda

Is still someone there? I found this group, when i try to find studio version of Barry`s "Ones upon a time"
I really adore this song from him!

Is someone still have an mp3 of it? Because the Youtube link is not working anymore....

I hope someone will read my message!

Judith Latham

May 30, 2022, 1:25:48 AM5/30/22
I read your message, but unfortunately I can't help you. Good luck!