NO Quarter, by Robert Asprin

Tom

Mar 5, 2010, 4:44:25 PM3/5/10
A note from Tom Knowles, editor of DarkStar Books
to the fans of Robert Asprin

NO Quarter isn't exactly Bob Asprin's last book--there are
others forthcoming from outlines and partials--but it is the last book
he completed, as far as we know. It's also unique, for two reasons:
First, Bob's friends and those fans who got to meet him at
conventions and filks will easily recognize his only somewhat
fictionalized self portrait in the character of the mysterious, pool-
playing fencing master, and wise man/wise guy known as Maestro. Bob
often put his personal philosophy into the mouths of his lead
character, but for NO Quarter and Maestro, he put in his soul.
Second, NO Quarter is a suspense novel that is a crossover/
spin-off from a fantasy series--something that has not, to this
editor's knowledge, ever been accomplished before by any author.
Although the minor fantasy and horror elements (voodoo, tarot readings
and precognition, ghosts) are peripheral to the plot, it is set in the
same milieu as Bob's Dragon's Luck and Dragons Wild novels. Fans of
that series will already be familiar with NO Quarter's two
protagonists, Maestro and Bone, as well as other denizens of NO
Quarter's dangerous and clannish French Quarter, from their minor
roles in the strange life of Griffen McCandles, the Dragon gambler.
NO Quarter is, if not unique, remarkable in other ways as
well.
Bob planned this novel with Eric Del Carlo after they met
and became friends in the French Quarter. They alternated chapters,
Bob writing Maestro's viewpoint, Eric writing Bone's. What shines
through both is a love for the old French Quarter that existed before
Katrina came--a love that neither excuses nor attempts to conceal its
faults, dangers, and disappointments.
Maestro's chapters are classic Asprin because Maestro is the
classic Asprin hero writ a bit darker. The famous Asprin humor is
there, and the tension between student and mentor, and the journey of
self-discovery that both take during the course of a friendship.
Bone's chapters and Eric's distinctive voice offer an acerbic contrast
that works to complement and highlight Asprin's Maestro. The two
characters, as did the two writers, work well together and push each
other in new directions.
When Bill Fawcett offered the book to DarkStar, Bob and Eric
had brought it to a third-draft level. Because both authors had other
commitments, Bob had suggested that author Teresa Patterson, who was
familiar with the French Quarter and its culture, and who had been a
long-time friend of Bob and myself, give the book its final polish to
smooth out the rough spots. We signed the contract ... and then, not
long after, Bob Asprin--my friend and a friend to just about everyone
who met him--closed his eyes for the last time.
Despite that, we continued the project and pushed it to
completion. Eric and Teresa's edits and refinements resulted in a
novel that I believe is a fitting tribute to our friend, Bob Asprin.
DarkStar published it November 2009.
Because the major chain stores are deadly serious about
categories, you'll likely find NO Quarter in the Mystery section
instead of the SF/F section beside Bob's other books--but make no
mistake, it's an Asprin book, and in this editor's opinion, his finest
work.

Peter

Mar 18, 2010, 7:56:00 AM3/18/10
Thanks for the information, Tom. Are you able to share any information about
possible future books?

Thanks,
Peter.

"Tom" <t...@darkstarbooks.net> wrote in message

Tom

Mar 23, 2010, 2:41:02 AM3/23/10
On Mar 18, 6:56 am, "Peter" <dacelogunr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the information, Tom. Are you able to share any information about
> possible future books?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter.

Hi, Peter:

Bob didn't write anything more that we know of in sequel to NO
Quarter. There's been some discussion of continuing it in some way,
but I'm a bit skeptical of doing so without him. It's a shame,
because, as I said, IMHO it's some of his best work, and Eric's and
Teresa's, too. As an editor and a reader, I really got into the
characters, wish Bob had had more time to do more with Maestro ... and
just had more time, too. He was a great writer, a great guy, and a
grand friend ... and I wish I had a recording of us filking together
that one time (takes a lot to get me to sing in public) about Jim
Bowie at the Alamo.

There is a good probability that you'll see the Myth Adventures series
and Dragons Luck series continued from outlines and partials he left
behind, completed by Jody Lynn Nye.

I'll drop in here occasionally to see if anyone has any more
questions, but you can also check out our website at http://www.darkstarbooks.net
and our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DarkStar-Books/319931060484?created#!/pages/DarkStar-Books/319931060484?v=wall

Best,

Tom Knowles
DarkStar Books

Peter

Mar 24, 2010, 5:29:57 AM3/24/10
OK, thanks for the information.

Regards,
Peter.

"Tom" <t...@darkstarbooks.net> wrote in message

Tom

Mar 25, 2010, 8:04:52 PM3/25/10
Peter:

Please email me at twk at darkstarbooks dot net.

Tom Knowles