Roles with the original intended actors

1 view

Caro

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
Here's a good list in alphabetical order of movie title. The actor(s)
considered for the role are above the title, and the actor who got the role
is shown in parentheses.

Terence Stamp
ALFIE (Michael Caine)

Bridget Fonda
ALLY McBEAL (Calista Flockhart)

John Travolta
AMERICAN GIGOLO (Richard Gere)

Harrison Ford, Robert Redford
THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT (Michael Douglas)

Emma Thompson
AN AMERICAN PRESIDENT (Annette Bening)

Harvey Keitel , Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, Clint Eastwood
APOCALYPSE NOW (Martin Sheen)

Steve McQueen
APOCALYPSE NOW (Marlon Brando)

Holly Hunter
AS GOOD AS IT GETS (Helen Hunt)

Sean Connery
ASSASSINS (Sylvester Stallone)

Michelle Pfeiffer, Geena Davis
BASIC INSTINCT (Sharon Stone)

Tammy Grimes
BEWITCHED (Elizabeth Montgomery)

Dustin Hoffman
BLADE RUNNER (Harrison Ford)

Steve McQueen, Ryan O'Neal
THE BODYGUARD (Kevin Costner)

Madonna, Diana Ross
THE BODYGUARD (Whitney Houston)

Tuesday Weld
BONNIE & CLYDE (Faye Dunaway)

Rita Hayworth
BORN YESTERDAY (Judy Holliday)

Carrie Fisher
CARRIE (Sissy Spacek)

Grace Kelly
CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF (Elizabeth Taylor)

Daniel Day-Lewis, Michael Douglas, Ralph Fiennes, Liam Neeson, Keanu Reeves
CUTTHROAT ISLAND (Matthew Modine)

Dustin Hoffman, Liam Neeson
DEAD POETS SOCIETY (Robin Williams)

Lori Petty
DEMOLITION MAN (Sandra Bullock)

Frank Sinatra, Paul Newman, John Wayne
DIRTY HARRY (Clint Eastwood)

Annette Bening, Madeleine Stowe
DISCLOSURE (Demi Moore)

Cary Grant, Patrick McGoohan
DR. NO (Sean Connery)

Steven Seagal
DROP ZONE (Wesley Snipes)

Montgomery Clift
EAST OF EDEN (James Dean

Mark Wahlberg
8MM (Joaquin Phoenix)

Nicole Kidman
ELIZABETH (Cate Blanchet)

Daniel Day-Lewis
THE ENGLISH PATIENT (Ralph Fiennes)

Nicole Kidman
ENTRAPMENT (Catherine Zeta Jones)

Jeremy Irons
EVENT HORIZON (Sam Neill)

Madonna
THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS (Michelle Pfeiffer)

Prince
FIFTH ELEMENT (Chris Tucker)

Bela Lugosi
FRANKENSTEIN (Boris Karloff)

Hedy Lamarr
GASLIGHT (Ingrid Bergman)

Michael Douglas
THE GENERAL'S DAUGHTER (John Travolta)

Dirk Bogarde, Peter Finch, Tom Courtney, Alec Guinness, Anthony Hopkins
GHANDI (Ben Kingsley)

Harrison Ford
GHOST (Patrick Swayze)

Jerry Van Dyke
GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (Bob Denver)

Jennifer Aniston
GODZILLA (Maria Patillo)

Joan Fontaine
GONE WITH THE WIND (Olivia de Havilland)

Doris Day
THE GRADUATE (Anne Bancroft)

Rebecca de Mornay
THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE (Annabella Sciorra)

Annabella Sciorra
THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE (Rebecca de Mornay)

Tom Selleck
INDIANA JONES: CRUSADERS OF THE LOST ARK (Harrison Ford)

River Phoenix
INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE (Christian Slater)

Carole Lombard, Myrna Loy
IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (Claudette Colbert)

Lee Marvin
JAWS (Robert Shaw)

Christopher Lambert
JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Keanu Reeves)

Marlon Brando, Albert Finney
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (Peter O'Toole

Michael Keaton
LEAP OF FAITH (Steve Martin)

Ava Gardner
LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME (Doris Day)

Martin Sheen
MAGIC (Anthony Hopkins)

Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable
THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (Michael Caine)

Robert Redford, Paul Newman
THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (Sean Connery)

Daniel Day Lewis
MARY REILLY (John Malkovich)

Val Kilmer
THE MATRIX (Keanu Reeves)

Gene Hackman
MEET JOE BLACK (Anthony Hopkins)

Robert Blake
MIDNIGHT COWBOY (Dustin Hoffman)

Michael Sarrazin
MIDNIGHT COWBOY (Jon Voight)

Barbara Stanwyck
MILDRED PIERCE (Joan Crawford)

John Travolta
AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN (Richard Gere)

James Woods
AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN (Louis Gosset, Jr.)

Montgomery Clift
ON THE WATERFRONT (Marlon Brando)

Andy Garcia, Daniel Day-Lewis
PHILADELPHIA (Tom Hanks)

Bill Murray
PHILADELPHIA (Denzel Washington)

Peter Ustinov
PINK PANTHER (Peter Sellers)

Tom Hanks
THE POSTMAN (Kevin Costner)

Daniel Day-Lewis
PULP FICTION (John Travolta)

John Travolta, Steve McQueen
RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD (Sly Stallone)

John Malkovich, John Cleese
ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES (Alan Rickman)

Tuesday Weld
ROSEMARY'S BABY (Mia Farrow)

Harrison Ford
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (Tom Hanks)

Julia Roberts
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE (Gwyneth Paltrow)

Noah Wyle
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE (Joseph Fiennes)

Hugh Grant
THE SAINT (Val Kilmer)

Michelle Pfeiffer
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (Jodie Foster)

Julia Roberts
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (Meg Ryan)

Noah Wyle
SPEED 2 (Jason Patric)

Elvis Presley
A STAR IS BORN (Kris Kristofferson)

Sissy Spacek
STAR WARS (Carrie Fisher)

Christopher Walken
STAR WARS (Harrison Ford)

Meg Ryan
STEEL MAGNOLIAS (Julia Roberts)

Andy Garcia
STRANGE DAYS (Ralph Fiennes)

John Garfield
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (Marlon Brando)

Montgomery Clift
SUNSET BOULEVARD (William Holden)

Emily Lloyd
TANK GIRL (Lori Petty)

Burt Reynolds
TERMS OF ENDEARMENT (Jack Nicholson)

Billy Crudup
TITANIC (Leonardo DiCaprio)

Miriam Hopkins
TO BE OR NOT TO BE (Carole Lombard)

Jennifer Jason Leigh
TRUE ROMANCE (Patricia Arquette)

Dennis Hopper
THE TRUMAN SHOW (Ed Harris)

Don Johnson
THE UNTOUCHABLES (Kevin Costner)

Gary Oldman
WATERWORLD (Dennis Hopper)

Julia Roberts
WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING (Sandra Bullock)

Robert Downey Jr.
WILD THINGS (Matt Dillon)

Shirley Temple
WIZARD OF OZ (Judy Garland)

Andy Garcia
ZORRO (Antonio Banderas)

Sean Connery
ZORRO (Anthony Hopkins)

~ Caro [Eta.C...@worldnet.att.net]
I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the
darkness for it shows me the stars.

Azat

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00

> Emma Thompson
> AN AMERICAN PRESIDENT (Annette Bening)

nah...

> Steve McQueen
> APOCALYPSE NOW (Marlon Brando)

This one would be cool.

> Holly Hunter
> AS GOOD AS IT GETS (Helen Hunt)

No way, you are kidding.

> Sean Connery
> ASSASSINS (Sylvester Stallone)

Does somebody have a doubt?

> Michelle Pfeiffer, Geena Davis
> BASIC INSTINCT (Sharon Stone)

No way.

> Steve McQueen, Ryan O'Neal
> THE BODYGUARD (Kevin Costner)

Steve is not good for soup.

> Madonna, Diana Ross
> THE BODYGUARD (Whitney Houston)

Steve and madonna - it would be something :-)

> Carrie Fisher
> CARRIE (Sissy Spacek)

Definetely,

> Frank Sinatra, Paul Newman, John Wayne
> DIRTY HARRY (Clint Eastwood)

No way.

> Annette Bening, Madeleine Stowe
> DISCLOSURE (Demi Moore)

MS would me much much better and AB would be perfect.

> Mark Wahlberg
> 8MM (Joaquin Phoenix)

No way.

> Nicole Kidman
> ELIZABETH (Cate Blanchet)

No way.

> Daniel Day-Lewis
> THE ENGLISH PATIENT (Ralph Fiennes)

With major rewriting - yes.

> Nicole Kidman
> ENTRAPMENT (Catherine Zeta Jones)

No way.

> Michael Douglas
> THE GENERAL'S DAUGHTER (John Travolta)

It was wise to stay out of it.

> Dirk Bogarde, Peter Finch, Tom Courtney, Alec Guinness, Anthony Hopkins
> GHANDI (Ben Kingsley)

DB: Are you crasy?

> Harrison Ford
> GHOST (Patrick Swayze)

HF was lucky to stay of it.

> Christopher Lambert
> JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Keanu Reeves)

Oh, yeah

> Val Kilmer
> THE MATRIX (Keanu Reeves)

nah.

> Gene Hackman
> MEET JOE BLACK (Anthony Hopkins)

Nah.

> Andy Garcia, Daniel Day-Lewis
> PHILADELPHIA (Tom Hanks)

No way. nobody could be that miserable.

> Peter Ustinov
> PINK PANTHER (Peter Sellers)

Are you serious?

> Tom Hanks
> THE POSTMAN (Kevin Costner)

It would be interesting if The Postman could turn to $100M gold upon Midas
touch too.

> Daniel Day-Lewis
> PULP FICTION (John Travolta)

Nope.

> Michelle Pfeiffer
> SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (Jodie Foster)

No.

> Julia Roberts
> SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (Meg Ryan)

no.

> Sissy Spacek
> STAR WARS (Carrie Fisher)

yes.

> Christopher Walken
> STAR WARS (Harrison Ford)

yes.

> Andy Garcia
> STRANGE DAYS (Ralph Fiennes)

yes.

> Jennifer Jason Leigh
> TRUE ROMANCE (Patricia Arquette)

you're kidding

> Dennis Hopper
> THE TRUMAN SHOW (Ed Harris)

Would be fun, but definetely very very different

> Don Johnson
> THE UNTOUCHABLES (Kevin Costner)

no way.

> Robert Downey Jr.
> WILD THINGS (Matt Dillon)

no way. RD is not funny

> Andy Garcia
> ZORRO (Antonio Banderas)
>
> Sean Connery
> ZORRO (Anthony Hopkins)

Different movie, but could be fun too.

Azat

--
I see dead movies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

geo swan

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
Caro wrote:

> Here's a good list in alphabetical order of movie title. The actor(s)
> considered for the role are above the title, and the actor who got the role
> is shown in parentheses.

This kind of thing can be interesting. This list
is long, and I have some questions about some of
these.

> Harvey Keitel , Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, Clint Eastwood
> APOCALYPSE NOW (Martin Sheen)

I believe that Sheen was brought in to replace another
actor, James Remar IIRC, after shooting had commenced.

> Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable
> THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (Michael Caine)
> Robert Redford, Paul Newman
> THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (Sean Connery)

"The man who would be King" is a buddy picture,
like "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", or "The Sting".
I am absolutely convinced that the linking of Redford
and Newman to this story was associated with the two
of them making another buddy picture. Similarly
I think that if Bogart and Gable were suggested it
is likely that they were intended to play opposite one
another.

> Val Kilmer
> THE MATRIX (Keanu Reeves)

I read that Val Kilmer was considered for the
role eventually played by Lawrence Fishburne.

It would be good to know where this info was coming from.

Sean Patrick

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:22:24 -0400, geo swan <gs...@globalserve.net>
wrote:

>Caro wrote:
>>
>> Here's a good list in alphabetical order of movie title. The actor(s)
>> considered for the role are above the title, and the actor who got the role
>> is shown in parentheses.
>

>This kind of thing can be interesting. This list
>is long, and I have some questions about some of
>these.
>

>> Harvey Keitel , Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, Clint Eastwood
>> APOCALYPSE NOW (Martin Sheen)
>

>I believe that Sheen was brought in to replace another
>actor, James Remar IIRC, after shooting had commenced.

It was Keitel. I don't think he has ever spoken about what happened
though.

Sean Patrick [que...@freewwweb.com]

Caro

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00

geo swan <gs...@globalserve.net> wrote in message

> This kind of thing can be interesting. This list
> is long, and I have some questions about some of
> these.

-snip-

> It would be good to know where this info was coming from.

Some of the information is from my own reading, but the bulk of the material
is from http://members.aol.com/pusssykatt/agccelebritymistakes.html.

~ Caro [Eta.C...@worldnet.att.net]
An honest man speaks the truth, though it may give offence; a vain man, in
order that it may. (~William Hazlitt)

Caro

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
I wrote:
> Here's a good list in alphabetical order of movie title. The actor(s)
> considered for the role are above the title, and the actor who got the
role
> is shown in parentheses.

From the list, the ones I'd most like to have seen with the original actor:
[edited to exclude movies I'm not commenting on]

> Tuesday Weld
> BONNIE & CLYDE (Faye Dunaway)

I confess, I just like Tuesday. Nothing against Faye.

> Grace Kelly
> CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF (Elizabeth Taylor)

Could have been interesting but it's difficult to imagine Princess Grace
drawlingly griping about children as "no-neck monsters." As a kid of 11, I
did a dead-on imitation of Elizabeth Taylor's character in this movie, or so
I was told (lingerie optional). Sorry... I just drifted into daydreaming.

> Dustin Hoffman, Liam Neeson
> DEAD POETS SOCIETY (Robin Williams)

Liam might have been good.

> Montgomery Clift
> EAST OF EDEN (James Dean

Was Monty ever that young in movies?

> Bela Lugosi
> FRANKENSTEIN (Boris Karloff)

He did the creature later on, but that romantic little cleft in his chin
just didn't work for a monster. A vampire, yes, but not as a human patchwork
of dead people sewn together.

> Harrison Ford
> GHOST (Patrick Swayze)

I love Harrison, but Swayze was perfect.

> Doris Day
> THE GRADUATE (Anne Bancroft)

Doris ... not a virgin? Was that feasable?

> Rebecca de Mornay
> THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE (Annabella Sciorra)
> Annabella Sciorra
> THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE (Rebecca de Mornay)

I like this movie as is, but I think I might prefer it if their roles had
been reversed, as was the earlier option. Annabella is the softer-edged one,
so I think she might have been the scarier villain.

> Tom Selleck
> INDIANA JONES: CRUSADERS OF THE LOST ARK (Harrison Ford)

No way! Impossible! (But Selleck was excellent as "Quigley Down Under.")

> John Malkovich, John Cleese
> ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES (Alan Rickman)

What were they thinking? Rickman was born for that role.

> Tuesday Weld
> ROSEMARY'S BABY (Mia Farrow)

Another vote for Tuesday.

> Christopher Walken
> STAR WARS (Harrison Ford)

Harrison's Han would have to be better, I think, but I love Walken.

> Montgomery Clift
> SUNSET BOULEVARD (William Holden)

This I would have loved to have seen.

~ Caro [Eta.C...@worldnet.att.net]
Kindness is loving people more than they deserve. (~Joseph Joubert)

Pennwryn

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
>> Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable
>> THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (Michael Caine)
>> Robert Redford, Paul Newman
>> THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (Sean Connery)

I read that John Huston wanted Burton and O'Toole for the parts in the 70's.

pulchritud...@yahoo.com

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
How bout this one?

Sean Penn
BEING JOHN MALKOVICH (John Malkovich)

Though I doubt they could make this one work...

Caro

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

SJRaff <sjr...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >BRAD PITT
> >Christian Slater's role in True Romance
>
> I find this one hard to believe. So, you're saying Pitt, who wasn't fully
> leading man yet turned down the lead to play a bit part in the same film?
(he
> is the pot smoking friend on the couch, and pretty funny at it too).

To my knowledge the list isn't always about actors who "turned down" roles,
as you say, but could include actors who were considered for the part but
didn't get it for one reason or another.

Harvey Keitel, for example, was taken out of "Apocalypse Now" after filming
had started because Stone just didn't like him in the role that later went
to Martin Sheen, iirc.

Most of the list is from the alt.gossip.celebrities website, as I mentioned
in an earlier post - with additions I've read about that weren't on their
original list.

~ Caro [Eta.C...@worldnet.att.net]
If you look like your passport photo, you're too ill to travel. (~Will
Kommen)

Caro

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

> >Harvey Keitel, for example, was taken out of "Apocalypse Now" after
filming
> >had started because Stone just didn't like him in the role that later
went
> >to Martin Sheen, iirc.
> >

> Was Stone replaced at some point by Coppola??? :)))))))
>
> Stephen Rafferty
> Los Angeles
> Tiocfaidh Ar La

No, actually, it was Sharon Stone who didn't want Keitel in the role of
Capt. Willard.

Okay. Coppola didn't want him either, if you insist on dragging the
directors into it.

=)

~ Caro [Eta.C...@worldnet.att.net]
Illegitimis non carborundum. (~L., 'don't let the bastards grind you down')

jk_p...@my-deja.com

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00

> Jennifer Jason Leigh
> TRUE ROMANCE (Patricia Arquette)

This is pretty interesting. Wasn't JJL's role in "Last Exit to Brooklyn"
was originally intended for Arquette? Would've like to have seen Leigh
in "Lost Highway"...

jkp