Want to tell me about your experiences in Renn work?

Renn_Curious

Nov 12, 2013, 12:02:49 AM11/12/13
Greetings, all!
My name is Amanda and I'm a writer, an actress, and a big fan of Renaissance Faires.
I'm currently writing a paper on the life of a Renainssance Faire "worker." I was wondering if anyone would be up to enlightening me on the lifestyle of a performer, booth operator, merchant, etc. I've done a ton of research online, and I've gone to (and enjoyed) a lot of festivals. I'd love to work at one myself but the only one near me isn't happening until spring.
I'm particularly interested in aspects like camping, relationships formed during your experience, etc.
Thank you all so much for your time and I'd love to open up a dialogue!
Cheers,

John W Kennedy

Nov 12, 2013, 11:19:47 AM11/12/13
Like most of USENET, this group has been destroyed by a combination of
rumors about kiddy porn, a massive denial-of-service attack some years
ago, and idiots who think that if it isn't on a webpage, it isn't on
the Internet. You may get some responses, but don't bet on it.

Since I'm here, I'll answer for myself and say I'm a retired computer
programmer (and part-time, semipro opera singer) who does a little
acting, singing, and pennywhistle playing at a couple of local amateur
faires. We amateurs come in all sorts -- engineers, fork-lift
operators, game designers, non-performing theatre professionals, and
writers, among others, and the single biggest group is teachers. A few
of us "amateurs" are even professional actors, musicians, or dancers
taking a busman's holiday because faire offers the chance to do
something unusual and cool -- full-voice, full-body acting in a world
based entirely on medium shots and close-ups, antique instruments,
dancing that is explicitly erotic but doesn't involve the word "lap"....

But I think what you're looking for is people who actually work the
circuit. I know a few, but would not presume to speak for them.

--
John W Kennedy
"You can, if you wish, class all science-fiction together; but it is

Carl Heinz

Nov 12, 2013, 11:24:10 PM11/12/13
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:19:47 -0500, John W Kennedy <jwk...@attglobal.net>
wrote:
This group has been largely replaced by a Facebook group of the same name. We
are cautious about admitting new members, so you might want to put a comment
about this on your timeline since it will be checked. I'm one of the ass't
admins. If you have a picture of you in costume among your FB pictures,
that's usually a good indicator for us. One of the killers for admittance is
if you have a bunch of groups. That raises the suspicion flag.
--
Carl Heinz
cfhe...@charter.net