Re: Inching closer on the Singularity Clock.

Hans-Georg Michna

Oct 21, 2010, 4:51:43 PM10/21/10
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:43:10 -0700 (PDT), Hugh Aguilar wrote:

>I read partway into that book, "The Singularity is Near," but didn't
>finish because the unrelenting optimism was in complete contradiction
>to my own pessimistic, apocalyptic and downright gloomy outlook on
>life.

What is that gloomy outlook based on? So far things have gotten
ever better, and rapidly, for the minority this side of the
digital divide.

>... there is no effort being made to make them intelligent due to
>a lack of motivation.

The exact opposite is true.

>We have incredibly powerful computers nowadays
>(compared to my old C64), ...

But not yet compared to the human brain. The most powerful
computers are only now slowly getting into the performance level
of the brain.

But we're in the wrong newsgroup for this discussion.

Hans-Georg