ESPN's Politics-Riddled Awards Show Tanks in the Ratings

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Ubiquitous

unread,
Jun 25, 2020, 7:13:15 AM6/25/20
to
The ratings for "The 2020 ESPYs" are in, and they're woeful, especially
considering sports fans have been starved for content for more than
three months.

This year's ESPN awards show centered mostly on social issues, not
sports, and could signal what fans can expect when the major sports
return after being sidelined by the coronavirus pandemic.

The all-virtual show Sunday attracted a mere 482,000 viewers on ESPN
and ESPN2, according to Sports Media Watch.

That's bad enough to make it the lowest-rated ESPYs show in the
network's history, dating back to 1995.

The pitiful viewership is an 88 percent decrease from the 2019 ESPYs,
when 3.87 million people tuned in.

Apparently few sports fans want to be lectured with leftist platitudes
about politics, racial injustice and other issues, which is what those
who refrained from tuning in missed out on.

The purported sports award show was chock full of preaching about the
Black Lives Matter movement and "white privilege" and praise for former
NFL quarterback and national anthem protester Colin Kaepernick.

The network was roundly criticized online for its pivot away from
sports and toward social commentary.

I'm out
Push your agenda on someone else.
- Jonathan Roberson (@JRob_YP) June 22, 2020

Is there any form of entertainment left that isn't inundated
with politics and social issues?
- Mike Milly (@realmikemilly) June 22, 2020

I'm done with Professional Sports! It used to be a recreational
place we could go to get away from all the politics and
division. Not anymore!
- Keith Harrison (@pastorrkh) June 22, 2020

Sports Media Watch noted that ESPYs ratings peaked in 2015 with 7.75
million viewers and have declined each year since.

The 2015 awards, for context, saw ESPN honor Caitlyn Jenner with the
Arthur Ashe Courage Award for coming out as transgender.

The show has become a sports version of the Oscars, where Hollywood
liberals spend hours annually castigating ordinary Americans about
social issues.

With many people still at home because of the coronavirus shutdowns,
Americans are hungry for sports. In a time of strife and division, they
can offer an escape and bring people of different backgrounds together.

Consider the ratings for ESPN's recent documentary series about the
Michael Jordan-era Chicago Bulls, and you'll notice a striking
difference from the ESPYs numbers.

"The Last Dance" set ratings records for ESPN last month, drawing an
average of 5.8 million viewers for the premiere of its six episodes,
NBA.com reported.

The documentary chronicled Jordan's behind-the-scenes quest for
basketball greatness without being drenched in leftist social
commentary - and it was a smashing success.

The harsh reality for ESPN is that few people want to tune in just to
be hectored about skin color and flooded with anti-police rhetoric.


--
Democrats and the liberal media hate President Trump more than they
love this country.



BTR1701

unread,
Jun 25, 2020, 12:01:24 PM6/25/20
to
In article <rd20s9$kme$3...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> The ratings for "The 2020 ESPYs" are in, and they're woeful, especially
> considering sports fans have been starved for content for more than
> three months.
>
> This year's ESPN awards show centered mostly on social issues, not
> sports, and could signal what fans can expect when the major sports
> return after being sidelined by the coronavirus pandemic.
>
> The all-virtual show Sunday attracted a mere 482,000 viewers on ESPN
> and ESPN2, according to Sports Media Watch. That's bad enough to
> make it the lowest-rated ESPYs show in the network's history,
> dating back to 1995.
>
> The pitiful viewership is an 88 percent decrease from the 2019 ESPYs,
> when 3.87 million people tuned in.

> The 2015 awards, for context, saw ESPN honor Caitlyn Jenner with the
> Arthur Ashe Courage Award for coming out as transgender.
>
> The show has become a sports version of the Oscars, where Hollywood
> liberals spend hours annually castigating ordinary Americans about
> social issues.

And just like the Oscars, the usual suspects will make excuses for why
Americans are tuning out in droves. It won't be about the in your face
politics and lecturing and moralizing delivered by the most amoral
people in the country. Nope. It'll be about the weather or the day of
the week or the hour it was broadcast or some other lame excuse.

trotsky

unread,
Jun 25, 2020, 1:06:56 PM6/25/20
to
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> Wrote in message:r
>It won't be about the in your face politics and lecturing and moralizing delivered by the most amoral people in the country. Nope. It'll be about the weather or the day of the week or the hour it was broadcast or some other lame excuse.


It reminds me of when Trump's peeps blamed the 6200 people at at
his "rally" on "protesters". Good times.


--

FPP

unread,
Jun 25, 2020, 6:00:05 PM6/25/20
to
But they were Antifa protesters! You know they're the worst kind of
protesters.


--
Nuts that spent the last twenty years prepping their bunker to survive
indefinitely in a nuclear winter are giving up after wearing a thin
cloth mask for three weeks. LOL -Matt Haughey

"Leaders who have hidden in a bunker and gassed their own citizens
include Saddam Hussein, Adolf Hitler and Donald [Bunker Bitch] Trump." -
Ben Wexler
REAL PRESIDENTS LEAD. REALITY TV PRESIDENTS DON'T.

Trump: "No, I don't take responsibility at all." - 3/13/20

trotsky

unread,
Jun 26, 2020, 7:10:48 AM6/26/20
to
FPP <fred...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> But they were Antifa protesters! You know they're the worst kind of protesters.


Yes, fake Antifa Proud Bois protesters.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages