Dynamite Headache (Truth or Myth?)

Mitch...@webtv.net

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
Is it true that if you handle explosives like dynamite and then touch
your forehead, as in wiping away sweat, that you'll get a tremendous
headache? I read this in a book years ago. The article stated that
many times the person will end up in the emergency room.

Max

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
It is very true, but you don't even have to wipe your forehead. The vapors
alone will do a good job on a person. They are sharp, pounding headaches.
I have read that some people will build a tolerance to these headaches with
continued exposure.

Mitch...@webtv.net wrote in message
<20712-37...@newsd-283.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Norm Reitzel

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:28:23 -0500, Max wrote:

> It is very true, but you don't even have to wipe your forehead. The vapors
> alone will do a good job on a person. They are sharp, pounding headaches.
> I have read that some people will build a tolerance to these headaches with
> continued exposure.

That's absolutely true. After a bit, exposure to nitrates or nitrites stops giving you
a headache. The substances are vasodialators, and the headache comes from
the sudden inrush of blood to your cranial vessels. After continued exposure,
your body adjusts and everything evens out.

Norm Reitzel No Good Deed goes Unpunished.
Blue Water Ventures Chinese Saying

NormR...@keinspam.ibm.net

Dave

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
You do get desensitized, but old powder will still give you the worst
headache ever. When it's raining, or wet out, your body absorbs more NG as
well.

OmniNegro

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
"Norm Reitzel" <rei...@niewahr.ibm.net> Lowered his/her/it's pants
and crapped on the keyboard, and the following apeared:

miners men use coffee as a fix for the headaches, but i don't know if
it works.

TOADMAN5O6

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
Ask anyone who uses Nitro pills (or paste in the ER) for Angina, the headache
they get from the Meds outdoes the chestpains for the first few months they are
put on the treatment.

Cheers
Al Kuhn
(Remove nospam for e-mail)
"Slāinte agus buaidh gu brāth le gillean an airgeadach targaid"
Kearny Police Pipes and Drums

donald haarmann

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99

<Mitch...@webtv.net> wrote in message news:20712-37...@newsd-283.iap.bryant.webtv.net...

> Is it true that if you handle explosives like dynamite and then touch
> your forehead, as in wiping away sweat, that you'll get a tremendous
> headache? I read this in a book years ago. The article stated that
> many times the person will end up in the emergency room.

--------------------
An 81 year old woman while brushing her teeth suddenly experienced
"lightheadedness, a graying of vision, and then loss of consciousness."
She regained consciousness within three to five minutes and called to
her husband for assistance. When she was helped to her feet, she noted
lightheadedness and a new throbbing headache; both of which abated
within 20 to 30 minutes.

The patient's husband said that he had found his tube of transdermal
nitroglycerin ointment open on the bathroom sink where he discovered
his wife collapsed on the bathroom floor. On closer questioning, it became
apparent that the patient had mistaken her husbands tube of nitrate
ointment for toothpaste and had brushed with it.

New England Journal of Medicine 16x86

--
donald j haarmann
-------------------------------

Jerome Lawrence

donald haarmann

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99

<Mitch...@webtv.net> wrote in message news:20712-37...@newsd-283.iap.bryant.webtv.net...
> Is it true that if you handle explosives like dynamite and then touch
> your forehead, as in wiping away sweat, that you'll get a tremendous
> headache? I read this in a book years ago. The article stated that
> many times the person will end up in the emergency room.

-------------------
American Journal of Industrial Medicine 15: 719-722 (1989)

Cardiac Arrest in an Explosives Factory Worker Due to Withdrawal From
Nitroglycerin Exposure

Amnon Ben-David, MD, MSC

A 34-year-old munitions worker suffered an unexplained cardiac arrest on a
Sunday morning. In retrospect, the cardiac arrest as well as previous complaints
of chest pains during weekends fit the syndrome of withdrawal from occupational
exposure to nitroglycerin.

INTRODUCTION

Munitions and explosives workers exposed to nitroglycerin (NG) and/or nitro-
glycol had already been described and documented as a group at risk by the end
of the nineteenth century [Darlington, 1890]. Flushes, headaches, and
palpitations are common symptoms in workers newly exposed to NG, but
symptoms disappear in most after a period of adaptation. The adaptation to NG,
however, creates its own problems, as cessation of exposure to NG can cause
withdrawal symptoms. The occurrence of weekend ischernic cardiac episodes in
NG-exposed munitions workers, ranging in severity from attacks of angina
pectoris to sudden death, has also been documented [Carmichael and Lieben,
1963; Lund et a]., 1968; Lange et al., 1972].

Although work practices in the munitions and explosives industry have im-
proved since the nineteenth century, workers can still be exposed to NG
compounds through inhalation or skin contact, with the associated risks, as
illustrated in the following report.

--
donald j haarmann - independently dubious
----------------------------

Dirk Bruere

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
donald haarmann wrote:

> A 34-year-old munitions worker suffered an unexplained cardiac arrest on a
> Sunday morning. In retrospect, the cardiac arrest as well as previous complaints
> of chest pains during weekends fit the syndrome of withdrawal from occupational
> exposure to nitroglycerin.

I have heard a similar story about a man who worked in metal plating
using cyanide baths for many years. Upon retirement he began to have
withdrawal symptoms as he had developed a tolerance to HCN.

BTW, how big is your hard disk? Or do you type fast?

Dirk

"H" Hudson

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99

OmniNegro <pres...@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
s.net...

> miners men use coffee as a fix for the headaches, but i don't know if
> it works.

In UK the best solution seems to be GIN and LOTS of it !

Lindsay H. Greene, esq.

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
>miners men use coffee as a fix for the headaches, but i don't know if
>it works.

Coffee works, albeit not as well as intravenous caffeine.. :-)
Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, so, in effect, it counters the
vasodialating action of the nitro- or nitrate- or whatever-compound
that is the explosive.

Stay greene,
Lindsay G.
----
Visit Short Fuse Pyrotechnics:
http://www.angelfire.com/al/pyrotech/

Email me at: he...@western.wave.ca
My ICQ # is 24221175

Sometimes I think the surest sign that
intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is
that none of it has tried to contact us.
-Bill Watterson

Fulmen

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:43:11 +0100, Dirk Bruere <art...@kbnet.co.uk>
said something like::

>BTW, how big is your hard disk? Or do you type fast?

Funny how the mind plays tricks on you. I thought it said "How hard is
your......" Well, you get the idea. I was wondering if I was in the
wrong group......

Fulmen
---
Ful...@BUGShotmail.com
It would be wise to remove the BUGS from my E-mail before mailing......

Foreigners may pretend otherwise, but if English is spoken out
loudly enough, anyone can understand it, the British included.
P.J. Bourke

Fulmen

May 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/1/99
On Sat, 01 May 1999 16:52:52 GMT, he...@western.wave.ca (Lindsay H.
Greene, esq.) said something like::

>>On a related topic (nothing to do with explosives unless you count the
>>headache), people over here have taken to 'snorting' vodka. Instant
>>drunk.
>
> Oh my GOD.... that's gotta suck. I mean, DRINKING it is bad
>enough, but SNORTING?!

If you think that's bad, you aint seen nothing. The kids around here
use the tampax method. Yea, dip it in alcohol and stick it up your
(take a guess).

Now that's GOTTA sting.......

Dirk Bruere

May 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/1/99
Fulmen wrote:

> >>On a related topic (nothing to do with explosives unless you count the
> >>headache), people over here have taken to 'snorting' vodka. Instant
> >>drunk.

> > Oh my GOD.... that's gotta suck. I mean, DRINKING it is bad
> >enough, but SNORTING?!

> If you think that's bad, you aint seen nothing. The kids around here
> use the tampax method. Yea, dip it in alcohol and stick it up your
> (take a guess).

I'm sure that piece of knowledge, when passed to suitable parties, will
facilitate international friendship and co-operation. It's what the
Internet is all about.

Dirk

swanm...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2019, 3:05:00 PM6/19/19
Sure is true.in 1970 I worked in a quary in Vietnam.if you handled dynamite and wiped your forehead you would get one hell of a headache.