Isopropyltrimethylmethane and unabomber

Ken Shirriff

Oct 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/13/95
I was reading the Unabomber manifesto [*] (which was actually reasonably
interesting) and I noticed that he twice mentioned isopropyltrimethylmethane.
Is there anything interested that can be concluded from this? (Other
than that he's not a member of the IUPAC :-)) It looked like a made-up
name at first, but it seems like a reasonable trivial name for
2,2,3-trimethylbutane. Is this the same as iso-heptane? Is there any
tie-in to explosives? Are there any industries that use this chemical?
Where could he have come across this rather obscure chemical name?

[*] see http://www.pathfinder.com/pathfinder/features/unabomber/index.html

Ken Shirriff shir...@eng.sun.com http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~shirriff

A guy from the Ekerdt Lan

Oct 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/13/95
> I was reading the Unabomber manifesto [*] (which was actually reasonably
> interesting) and I noticed that he twice mentioned isopropyltrimethylmethane.
> Is there anything interested that can be concluded from this? (Other
> than that he's not a member of the IUPAC :-)) It looked like a made-up
> name at first, but it seems like a reasonable trivial name for
> 2,2,3-trimethylbutane. Is this the same as iso-heptane? Is there any
> tie-in to explosives? Are there any industries that use this chemical?
> Where could he have come across this rather obscure chemical name?

2,2,3-trimethylbutane (isopropyltrimethylmethane):
IS explosive in air from 1% to 7%.
Has a very low flash point at 20 F.
Is heavier than air so may travel across the ground to a source of ignition.

I have no good ideas as to who uses it but, I believe it has a very high
octane number. That may be where he gets it, if he is using it.

David Sullivan
Chem Eng
Univ of Texas at Austin

Jeff E. Janes

Oct 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/14/95
Ken Shirriff (shir...@shallot.CS.Berkeley.EDU) wrote:
: I was reading the Unabomber manifesto [*] (which was actually reasonably

: interesting) and I noticed that he twice mentioned isopropyltrimethylmethane.
: Is there anything interested that can be concluded from this? (Other
: than that he's not a member of the IUPAC :-)) It looked like a made-up
: name at first, but it seems like a reasonable trivial name for
: 2,2,3-trimethylbutane. Is this the same as iso-heptane? Is there any
: tie-in to explosives? Are there any industries that use this chemical?
: Where could he have come across this rather obscure chemical name?
:
Well, isobutyltrimethylmethane is synonym of isooctane (Which I believe
defines the 100 mark on the octane scale for gasoline). I would imagine
that isopropyltrimethylmethane is also a component on gasoline.

--
Jeff Janes jej...@mtu.edu at Michigan Technological University
Second Law of Thermodynamics:

David Sullivan

Oct 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/15/95
> Well, isobutyltrimethylmethane is synonym of isooctane (Which I believe
> defines the 100 mark on the octane scale for gasoline). I would imagine
> that isopropyltrimethylmethane is also a component on gasoline.

The octane scale is:
n-heptane = 0
i-octane (2,2,4-trimethylpentane or isobutyltrimethylmethane) = 100.

2,2,3-trimethylbutane has an octane number of 113.
This is the highest octane number for any C7, non-aromatic hydrocarbon.
For comparison, toluene is 124, 2-methylhexane is 41 and
2,2-dimethylpentane is 89.
The methods of octane boost are to increase the degree of branching,
cyclization and formation of aromatics. Note that tetraethyl lead
(C2H5)4Pb is a very good octane boost, hence "leaded gasoline" - too bad
it's dangerous for your health.

I have no doubt that 2,2,3-trimethylbutane is a component of gasoline but,
it is probably also available in fairly pure form for adding directly to
your car's gas tank for your own little octane boost.

Tom Upshaw

Oct 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/21/95
some...@che.utexas.edu (A guy from the Ekerdt Lan) writes:

> > I was reading the Unabomber manifesto [*] (which was actually reasonably
> > interesting) and I noticed that he twice mentioned isopropyltrimethylmethane.
> > Is there anything interested that can be concluded from this? (Other
> > than that he's not a member of the IUPAC :-)) It looked like a made-up
> > name at first, but it seems like a reasonable trivial name for
> > 2,2,3-trimethylbutane. Is this the same as iso-heptane? Is there any
> > tie-in to explosives? Are there any industries that use this chemical?
> > Where could he have come across this rather obscure chemical name?
>

> 2,2,3-trimethylbutane (isopropyltrimethylmethane):

> I have no good ideas as to who uses it but, I believe it has a very high
> octane number. That may be where he gets it, if he is using it.
>
> David Sullivan

It looks like a reduced by-product of diisobutylene production,
possibly. The latter can be puchased from 2 or 3 petroleum companies.
The fact that Unabomber calls it "isopropyltrimethylmethane" means he
had at most one undergrad organic chem course and doesn't quite
remember his IUPAC, or he found a less-used common name for it
somewhere. It might be instructive for the FBI to find out what
texts/sources use that name for it.
Tom

----------------------------------
Home: <ups...@mars.superlink.net>
Work: <ata...@peabody.sct.ucarb.com>
PGP pubkey fp = 07 69 19 BC D6 F2 39 13 13 70 1C DB 40 87 4B 31 <<<

jim bell

Oct 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/22/95
In article <46bm17$k...@earth.superlink.net>, ups...@mars.superlink.net says...

>> > Where could he have come across this rather obscure chemical name?
>> 2,2,3-trimethylbutane (isopropyltrimethylmethane):
>> I have no good ideas as to who uses it but, I believe it has a very high
>> octane number. That may be where he gets it, if he is using it.
>
>It looks like a reduced by-product of diisobutylene production,
>possibly. The latter can be puchased from 2 or 3 petroleum companies.
>The fact that Unabomber calls it "isopropyltrimethylmethane" means he
>had at most one undergrad organic chem course and doesn't quite
>remember his IUPAC, or he found a less-used common name for it
>somewhere. It might be instructive for the FBI to find out what
>texts/sources use that name for it.

In what context does he mention this chemical? It's just a hydrocarbon, for heaven's sake!

Jim Bell
-
-
-