Word meaning "death by fire"

Zachary Turner

Sep 26, 2008, 10:25:42 AM9/26/08
Other than immolation... Is there one? I've asked a few of my
friends, all of whom are avid readers who read 1-2 books every day.
All of them say, "I think so, but I just can't think of it. It's in
the back of my mind". I keep thinking it starts with either an "ex-"
or a "de-". One of my friends thinks it also might start with a
"de-". Any suggestions, or am I going crazy? I was sure there was
something other than immolation.

Thanks

Andrew Heenan

Sep 26, 2008, 11:06:36 AM9/26/08
"Zachary Turner" <diviso...@gmail.com> wrote ...

> Other than immolation... Is there one?

I don't think so. http://freethesaurus.net/ gives us:

Main Entry: self-immolation.

Synonyms: altruism, blazing, blistering, branding, burning, burnt offering,
calcination, car of Jagannath, carbonization, cauterization, cautery,
cineration, collection, combustion, commitment, concremation, consecration,
cracking, cremation, cupellation, dedication, deflagration, destructive
distillation, devotion, disembowelment, disinterest, disinterestedness,
distillation, distilling, drink offering, ex voto offering, felo-de-se,
flaming, hara-kiri, heave offering, hecatomb, holocaust, human sacrifice,
humility, immolation, incense, incineration, infanticide, libation,
mactation, mass suicide, modesty, oblation, offering, offertory, oxidation,
oxidization, parching, peace offering, piacular offering, pyrolysis,
refining, ritual suicide, sacramental offering, sacrifice, scapegoat,
scorching, scorification, searing, self-abasement, self-abnegation,
self-denial, self-destruction, self-devotion, self-effacement,
self-forgetfulness, self-murder, self-neglect, self-neglectfulness,
self-renouncement, self-sacrifice, self-subjection, selflessness, seppuku,
singeing, smelting, suicide, suttee, sutteeism, thank offering, the stake,
thermogenesis, unacquisitiveness, unpossessiveness, unselfishness,
vesication, votive offering, whole offering

None of these comes close to being a real alternative *word* - but there's a
few phrases that use some of those terms.
--

Andrew
http://www.wordskit.com/

John Dean

Sep 26, 2008, 5:45:45 PM9/26/08
Suttee
--
John Dean
Oxford

Odysseus

Sep 27, 2008, 3:52:19 AM9/27/08
In article <6k53nmF...@mid.individual.net>,
"John Dean" <john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:

> Zachary Turner wrote:
> > Other than immolation...
> >

> Suttee

That's a rather specific kind.

--
Odysseus

John Dean

Sep 27, 2008, 10:16:57 AM9/27/08

And?
--
John Dean
Oxford

Adam Funk

Sep 29, 2008, 3:24:55 PM9/29/08

Are you thinking of "auto da fé"?

It doesn't properly mean burning at the stake, but (thanks to Voltaire
and Mel Brooks, I think) it's often thought of that way.

--
I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, [my daughter] will come to me
and say 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press

Damaeus

Oct 1, 2008, 6:00:28 PM10/1/08
Reading from news:alt.english.usage,
Zachary Turner <diviso...@gmail.com> posted:

> Other than immolation... Is there one?

In Final Fantasy XI Online, we use a skillchain called "Liquefaction"
to turn our enemies into liquid fire. A "liquefacient", then, would
be something that causes this liquefaction to occur.

Damaeus
--
Damaeus - Damon M.

Damaeus

Oct 1, 2008, 6:01:09 PM10/1/08
Reading from news:alt.english.usage,
Zachary Turner <diviso...@gmail.com> posted:

> Word meaning "death by fire"

Burn

Barbara Bailey

Oct 1, 2008, 7:20:52 PM10/1/08
Damaeus <no-...@hotmail.invalid> wrote in

But liqufaction isn't fire. It's "becoming a liquid", and a "liquifacient"
would be something that causes liqufaction, not something that causes fire.
Games use al sorts of words loosely at best and incorrewctly at worst.

Damaeus

Oct 1, 2008, 10:40:23 PM10/1/08
Reading from news:alt.english.usage,
Barbara Bailey <rabr...@yayhu.comm> posted:

> Damaeus <no-...@hotmail.invalid> wrote in
>

> > In Final Fantasy XI Online, we use a skillchain called
> > "Liquefaction" to turn our enemies into liquid fire. A
> > "liquefacient", then, would be something that causes this
> > liquefaction to occur.
>
> But liqufaction isn't fire. It's "becoming a liquid", and a
> "liquifacient" would be something that causes liqufaction, not
> something that causes fire. Games use al sorts of words loosely
> at best and incorrewctly at worst.

I thought maybe he was writing a fictional or fantasy story, and the
context of liquefaction does turn the monster into liquid.... liquid
fire. In the game, the effect of fire is added by combining the
proper elements. So if the original poster wanted to use that
concept, s/he could combine liquefaction with some other effect or
magical power to turn enemies into liquid fire.

musika

Oct 2, 2008, 11:51:44 AM10/2/08

Whenas in silks my Julia goes
Then, then (methinks) how sweetly flows
That liquefaction of her clothes.

Next, when I cast mine eyes and see
That brave vibration each way free;
Oh how that glittering taketh me!

Robert Herrick.

--
Ray
UK

john.an...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2014, 4:07:07 PM3/5/14
Self-Incineration. Immolation is a sacrificial kind of death.

Don Phillipson

Mar 5, 2014, 8:44:46 PM3/5/14
<john.an...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Friday, September 26, 2008 7:25:42 AM UTC-7, Zachary Turner wrote:

>> Other than immolation... Is there one? I've asked a few of my

> Self-Incineration. Immolation is a sacrificial kind of death.

We can be sure the OP has given up waiting i.e. perhaps
cremated himself.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

bill van

Mar 6, 2014, 1:27:05 AM3/6/14
In article <lf8kmh$6ml$1...@news.albasani.net>,
"Don Phillipson" <e9...@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:

> <john.an...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > On Friday, September 26, 2008 7:25:42 AM UTC-7, Zachary Turner wrote:
>
> >> Other than immolation... Is there one? I've asked a few of my
>
> > Self-Incineration. Immolation is a sacrificial kind of death.
>
> We can be sure the OP has given up waiting i.e. perhaps
> cremated himself.

Leaving ashes that are sometimes called cremains. Apparently the usage
goes back to 1947.
--
bill

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Mar 6, 2014, 5:31:15 AM3/6/14
On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 22:27:05 -0800, bill van <bil...@delete.shaw.ca>
wrote:
The "ashes" are not ashes in the normal sense. The body is incinerated
in a "cremator". All the flesh is burned and goes up the chimney leaving
just bones. The bones are put into a "cremulator" which grinds them into
sand-like grains. It is that pulverized bone that is put into an urn or
box.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)