Email to congratulate someone who's just given birth to a bady

7palmtree

Jul 31, 2008, 10:41:28 AM7/31/08
A colleague of mine has just given birth to a baby boy. This is their
second baby boy. I want to write them a congratulations letter for the
occasion. I've never written such a letter and my how-to references
don't give me a clue either.

Can someone help me out with some nice cheerful English phrases,
please?

Thanks for advising!

Scott

Purl Gurl

Jul 31, 2008, 11:01:30 AM7/31/08
7palmtree wrote:

> A colleague of mine has just given birth to a baby boy. This is their
> second baby boy. I want to write them a congratulations letter for the
> occasion. I've never written such a letter and my how-to references
> don't give me a clue either.

> Can someone help me out with some nice cheerful English phrases,

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Your new debut
Belongs in a zoo

--
Purl Gurl

joetaxpayer

Jul 31, 2008, 1:54:56 PM7/31/08

7palmtree wrote:

How about, "John, I just heard the good news and I would like to
congratulate you on the birth of your son.
Best wishes to you and your family,
Palmtree"

The recipient isn't likely to scrutenize the email. Nor, since you wrote
"I would like to...." will he come back and say, "ok, go ahead."
If you were really good friends, you'd mention the correlation between
the number of diapers he changes the next couple years and the amount of
sex he's likely to have for the rest of his life. But I gather you're
not that close.

Joe

John Varela

Aug 1, 2008, 5:12:13 PM8/1/08
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:54:56 -0400, joetaxpayer wrote
(in article <iLydndJU3YnzYQzV...@comcast.com>):

> 7palmtree wrote:
>
>> A colleague of mine has just given birth to a baby boy. This is their
>> second baby boy. I want to write them a congratulations letter for the
>> occasion. I've never written such a letter and my how-to references
>> don't give me a clue either.
>>
>> Can someone help me out with some nice cheerful English phrases,
>> please?
>>
>> Thanks for advising!
>>
>> Scott
>
> How about, "John, I just heard the good news and I would like to
> congratulate you on the birth of your son.
> Best wishes to you and your family,
> Palmtree"

Since it was the colleague who gave birth, I doubt she's named John.

As the father of three boys I can say that the birth of a second son is
reason for only qualified celebration, and that it is a mistake to go for
a third in hope of getting a girl.

> The recipient isn't likely to scrutenize the email. Nor, since you wrote
> "I would like to...." will he come back and say, "ok, go ahead."
> If you were really good friends, you'd mention the correlation between
> the number of diapers he changes the next couple years and the amount of
> sex he's likely to have for the rest of his life. But I gather you're
> not that close.

Probably not a good idea if the colleague is indeed the one who gave
birth.

--
John Varela
Trade NEW lamps for OLD for email.

joetaxpayer

Aug 1, 2008, 6:14:59 PM8/1/08

Oooops.

How about, "Jane, I just heard the good news and I would like to

congratulate you on the birth of your son.
Best wishes to you and your family,
Palmtree"

I'll call it quits there, as no clever episiotomy jokes come to mind.
Joe