"Tabbouleh" pronunciation?

Corey Richardson

Feb 19, 2009, 5:35:26 PM2/19/09
I've always thought, probably mistakenly, that Tabbouleh was pronounced
"Tab-bow-lay". However, I've recently heard someone pronounce it
"Tab-boo-lee".

Which is correct? Can anyone here clarify please?

Many thanks in advance.

PeterL

Feb 19, 2009, 5:43:31 PM2/19/09
Corey Richardson wrote:
> I've always thought, probably mistakenly, that Tabbouleh was pronounced
> "Tab-bow-lay". However, I've recently heard someone pronounce it
> "Tab-boo-lee".
>
> Which is correct? Can anyone here clarify please?

Sigh. Try Google next time.
It is pronounced 'TAß-`BOO-LUA'Y

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I support the Greens, and I hope you do too:
http://greens.org.au
www.qld.greens.org.au
www.greenpeace.org.au

Chris Marksberry

Feb 19, 2009, 6:27:30 PM2/19/09

"Corey Richardson" wrote in message > I've always thought, probably

There seem to be a lot of variations regarding the spelling and
pronunciation:

Here they are:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tabbouleh

Message has been deleted

Martin Ambuhl

Feb 19, 2009, 6:40:40 PM2/19/09
Corey Richardson wrote:
> I've always thought, probably mistakenly, that Tabbouleh was pronounced
> "Tab-bow-lay". However, I've recently heard someone pronounce it
> "Tab-boo-lee".
>
> Which is correct? Can anyone here clarify please?

/t@'bu:l@/ and /t@'bu:li/ are both acceptable pronunciations in
English according to DJ16, but Oxford likes /t@'bu,leI/.

Your transcription doesn't help
(1) the /b/ is in the second syllable, not the first, and certainly not
doubled
(2) <bow> has at least the pronunciations /baU/, /b@U/, and /boU/, none
of which are right. So what you "always thought" is clearly wrong.
(3) <boo> has the correct vowel /bu:/
(4) Your third syllable |lay| seems to correspond to Oxford's preferred
/eI/. The version you heard |lee| seems to corresond to DJ16's second
one /li/, although |lee| suggests greater length. Either seems acceptable.

PeterL

Feb 19, 2009, 6:47:05 PM2/19/09
Susan wrote:
> x-no-archive: maybe
> A Lebanese friend who makes the BEST, pronounces it tuh-boo-lee.
>
> Susan

"Well glaze my nipples and call me Susan!"

I have to hand it to the Lebs - they might be a bunch of low-life
violent thugs cruising the streets in hotted up jap cars, but they
sure know how to make a kebab and tabooleh!

Pat Durkin

Feb 19, 2009, 7:15:59 PM2/19/09

"PeterL" <nh...@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

> Susan wrote:
>> x-no-archive: maybe
>>
>> Corey Richardson wrote:
>> > I've always thought, probably mistakenly, that Tabbouleh was
>> > pronounced
>> > "Tab-bow-lay". However, I've recently heard someone pronounce it
>> > "Tab-boo-lee".
>> >
>> > Which is correct? Can anyone here clarify please?
>> >
>> > Many thanks in advance.
>> >

>> A Lebanese friend who makes the BEST, pronounces it tuh-boo-lee.
>>
>> Susan
>
> "Well glaze my nipples and call me Susan!"
>
> I have to hand it to the Lebs - they might be a bunch of low-life
> violent thugs cruising the streets in hotted up jap cars, but they
> sure know how to make a kebab and tabooleh!

But how do they make baba ganoush?

Mimi Maguire

Feb 19, 2009, 8:18:37 PM2/19/09
On Feb 19, 11:47 pm, PeterL <nh...@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> Susan wrote:
> > x-no-archive: maybe
>
> > Corey Richardson wrote:
> > > I've always thought, probably mistakenly, that Tabbouleh was pronounced
> > > "Tab-bow-lay". However, I've recently heard someone pronounce it
> > > "Tab-boo-lee".
>
> > > Which is correct? Can anyone here clarify please?
>
> > > Many thanks in advance.
>
> > A Lebanese friend who makes the BEST, pronounces it tuh-boo-lee.
>
> > Susan
>
> "Well glaze my nipples and call me Susan!"
>
> I have to hand it to the Lebs - they might be a bunch of low-life
> violent thugs cruising the streets in hotted up jap cars, but they
> sure know how to make a kebab and tabooleh!
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia

Low-life thugs violent thugs? That's rich, coming from an Aussie.

Although I have to say that you lot DO know how to throw a good
barbie, as we saw recently on the news.

Paul M. Cook

Feb 19, 2009, 10:45:57 PM2/19/09

"Corey Richardson" <coreyNOSP...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

ta-boo-lee

PL

Feb 19, 2009, 11:17:38 PM2/19/09
Mimi Maguire wrote:
> On Feb 19, 11:47 pm, PeterL <nh...@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> > Susan wrote:
> > > x-no-archive: maybe

> > > A Lebanese friend who makes the BEST, pronounces it tuh-boo-lee.
> >
> > > Susan
> >
> > "Well glaze my nipples and call me Susan!"
> >
> > I have to hand it to the Lebs - they might be a bunch of low-life
> > violent thugs cruising the streets in hotted up jap cars, but they
> > sure know how to make a kebab and tabooleh!
> >
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> I support the Greens, and I hope you do too:
> http://greens.org.au
> www.qld.greens.org.au
> www.greenpeace.org.au
>
> Low-life thugs violent thugs? That's rich, coming from an Aussie.

What is that supposed to mean, or are you just trying to be a smart-
arsed, loud-mouth typical fat pommy bitch?
In what way are Aussies being thugs?

Those LEBS on the other hand, have caused NOTHING but trouble inside
OUR country. They have NO interest in living our way and only want to
kill us all if they had half a chance. Ever since we became
'multicultural' this great country has gone downhill. When this
country was almost 100% white Anglo, it was heaven on earth.
All one needs to do is search for news stories about them if you don't
believe me and will PROVE me right.

> Although I have to say that you lot DO know how to throw a good
> barbie, as we saw recently on the news.

Of course we do, stupid bitch. Its an institution here.

Now, go away angry or happy. I don't give a fuck either way.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

You have been wieghed,
you have been measred,
and you have been found wanting.
So take a hike.

PL

Feb 19, 2009, 11:50:17 PM2/19/09
Mimi Maguire <mimim...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in news:a3efe8c6-098b-483e-
8bfc-0bc...@h20g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

Please don't feed the troll/stalker.......

From: PeterL <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

From: Plucas <anunn...@gmail.com>

From: Plucas <anunn...@gmail.com>

From: PeterLucas <anunn...@gmail.com>

From: anunn...@gmail.com

From: Peter Lucas <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

From: PeterL <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

From: Peter-Lucas <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

From: PeterLucas <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

From: PeterL <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

From: PeterL <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

From: PeterL <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

From: Peter-Lucas <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

From: PeterLucas <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

From: PeterL <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

From: Peter Lucas <nh...@orcon.net.nz>

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

Joe Kotroczo

Feb 20, 2009, 2:31:31 AM2/20/09
On 19/02/09 22:35, in article 7lnrp4d6ivgs76img...@4ax.com,
"Corey Richardson" <coreyNOSP...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Might depend on where you are.

I've only ever seen it spelled "Taboulé" and pronounced Tah-Boo-Lé (or
however you want to write that last bit). In France.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotr...@mac.com

Saxman

Feb 20, 2009, 2:49:35 AM2/20/09

Try here by clicking on the Flash button. Problem solved!

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861698255

Mimi Maguire

Feb 20, 2009, 3:25:09 AM2/20/09
On Feb 20, 4:17 am, PL <nh...@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> What is that supposed to mean, or are you just trying to be a smart-
> arsed, loud-mouth typical fat pommy bitch?
> In what way are Aussies being thugs?

ROFL. Your opening sentence proves my point perfectly.

Melba's Jammin'

Feb 20, 2009, 9:23:28 AM2/20/09
In article <Xns9BB896F176232P...@210.8.230.25>,
PL <P...@brissie.oz> wrote:

> Mimi Maguire <mimim...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in news:a3efe8c6-098b-483e-
> 8bfc-0bc...@h20g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

> Please don't feed the troll/stalker.......
(snip)
Which is what you do every time you post one of your ridiculous
admonishments. I get the impression that you're the only poster who
gives a rat's ass. Give it up.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

blake murphy

Feb 20, 2009, 11:37:05 AM2/20/09
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:23:28 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <Xns9BB896F176232P...@210.8.230.25>,
> PL <P...@brissie.oz> wrote:
>
>> Mimi Maguire <mimim...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in news:a3efe8c6-098b-483e-
>> 8bfc-0bc...@h20g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Please don't feed the troll/stalker.......
> (snip)
> Which is what you do every time you post one of your ridiculous
> admonishments. I get the impression that you're the only poster who
> gives a rat's ass. Give it up.

the boy has lots of stamina, i'll give him that.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Feb 20, 2009, 11:39:52 AM2/20/09

it's pronounced 'bulgur salad.'

your pal,
blake

Message has been deleted

PL

Feb 20, 2009, 12:12:07 PM2/20/09
Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in news:barbschaller-
43B952.082...@news.iphouse.com:

> In article <Xns9BB896F176232P...@210.8.230.25>,
> PL <P...@brissie.oz> wrote:
>
>> Mimi Maguire <mimim...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in news:a3efe8c6-098b-
483e-
>> 8bfc-0bc...@h20g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Please don't feed the troll/stalker.......
> (snip)
> Which is what you do every time you post one of your ridiculous
> admonishments.

Yeah, I know. I feel like a fucking Grade 3 school teacher having to
repeat myself over, and over, and over, and over again.

And yes, I also know, it *is* a cooking group....... but it *is* the
Internet!!

Some of you people *must* have at least 1 brain cell to be able to tell
the difference!!!

> I get the impression that you're the only poster who
> gives a rat's ass. Give it up.

As soon as the dumb assholes who post in here stop attributing that
pathetic pricks shit to me.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 20, 2009, 2:37:37 PM2/20/09
On Feb 20, 11:45 am, Susan <su...@nothanks.org> wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes

> blake murphy wrote:
> > it's pronounced 'bulgur salad.'
>
> Only if it's made wrong.
>
> It would more accurately be called 'parsley leaf salad' by your
> criterion.   :-)
>
> Susan

Not the way I make it. I'm of the "more bulgur than parsley" school.

Cindy Hamilton

blake murphy

Feb 21, 2009, 12:36:44 PM2/21/09
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:45:42 -0500, Susan wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> blake murphy wrote:
>

>> it's pronounced 'bulgur salad.'
>>

> Only if it's made wrong.
>
> It would more accurately be called 'parsley leaf salad' by your
> criterion. :-)
>
> Susan

yeah, i guess one or the other.

your pal,
blake

Message has been deleted

Chris Marksberry

Feb 21, 2009, 1:41:22 PM2/21/09

"Susan" <su...@nothanks.org> wrote in message

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> yeah, i guess one or the other.
>>

> Perhaps, but my Lebanese friends insist that it should be almost all
> parsley, and only a very small amount of bulgar. If it's not dark green,
> they won't eat it.
>
> Susan

We went to one of "Night Out at the Mall" food tastings for local
restaurants. Among the things we tried was tabbouleh. It had lots of
parsley with a small amount of bulgur. We had to spit it out. Maybe
because it wasn't like the tabbouleh we are accustomed to?

Chris

Message has been deleted

Melba's Jammin'

Feb 21, 2009, 5:01:20 PM2/21/09
In article <gnphsp$c2s$1...@reader.motzarella.org>,

"Chris Marksberry" <rmark...@comcast.NoSpam.net> wrote:
> We went to one of "Night Out at the Mall" food tastings for local
> restaurants. Among the things we tried was tabbouleh. It had lots of
> parsley with a small amount of bulgur. We had to spit it out. Maybe
> because it wasn't like the tabbouleh we are accustomed to?
>
> Chris

Yeay!! Tabbouleh as it should be! I remember how adamant Lela Abu-Saba
McLeod, AKA the Tabbouleh Princess, was that tabbouleh is a *green
salad.* I'm in her camp. It's how I make mine and it is how the
Lebanese Church Ladies make it for the Festival of Nations in St. Paul
every spring.

Message has been deleted

Joe Kotroczo

Feb 22, 2009, 1:52:41 PM2/22/09
On 21/02/09 22:01, in article
barbschaller-8C72...@news.iphouse.com, "Melba's Jammin'"
<barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <gnphsp$c2s$1...@reader.motzarella.org>,
> "Chris Marksberry" <rmark...@comcast.NoSpam.net> wrote:
>> We went to one of "Night Out at the Mall" food tastings for local
>> restaurants. Among the things we tried was tabbouleh. It had lots of
>> parsley with a small amount of bulgur. We had to spit it out. Maybe
>> because it wasn't like the tabbouleh we are accustomed to?
>>
>> Chris
>
> Yeay!! Tabbouleh as it should be! I remember how adamant Lela Abu-Saba
> McLeod, AKA the Tabbouleh Princess, was that tabbouleh is a *green
> salad.* I'm in her camp. It's how I make mine and it is how the
> Lebanese Church Ladies make it for the Festival of Nations in St. Paul
> every spring.

The other kind, non-green, is often called "Taboulé à la Française" (French
Taboulé).

--
Joe Kotroczo kotr...@mac.com