an advance Christmas present

masahiko

Oct 1, 2001, 10:50:27 AM10/1/01
Is an advance Christmas present a Christmas present given in advance?

" Did she give them to you as an advance Christmas present?"

Bill McCray

Oct 1, 2001, 2:28:18 PM10/1/01

Sounds about right to me.

Bill McCray
Lexington, KY

Mark Wallace

Oct 1, 2001, 5:07:40 PM10/1/01

"masahiko" <kiri...@mth.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote in message

> Is an advance Christmas present a Christmas present given in advance?
>
> " Did she give them to you as an advance Christmas present?"

It ought really to be: "an advanced Christmas present", which more clearly
shows that it is a present which has been advanced (in the context of having
been given early or in anticipation).

--

Mark Wallace
For the intelligent approach to nasty humour, visit:

Mike Turco

Oct 2, 2001, 4:20:33 PM10/2/01
My birthday is December 12. I always got "birthday-Christmas" presents.

I have a friend who's birthday is on the 24th. Quite a blessing for the
cheap at heart.

Clark S. Cox III

Oct 2, 2001, 5:16:42 PM10/2/01
Mike Turco <mike...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My birthday is December 12. I always got "birthday-Christmas" presents.
>
> I have a friend who's birthday is on the 24th. Quite a blessing for the
> cheap at heart.

Mine is New Years Eve. By the time my Birthday rolls around,
everyone's already spent all of their money on Christmas presents, but
that date makes for great B-day parties, so I guess it evens out :-).

--
Clark S. Cox III
clar...@yahoo.com

meirm...@erols.com

Oct 3, 2001, 9:38:16 PM10/3/01
In alt.english.usage on Mon, 01 Oct 2001 23:50:27 +0900 masahiko
<kiri...@mth.biglobe.ne.jp> posted:

>Is an advance Christmas present a Christmas present given in advance?

I'm sure it is. They've taken, I probably do it too, a trade term and
extended it to other things. I think for 10 or 20 years I've heard of
advance publications, which iiuc might be books sent to critics in
advance of their release to the public.

Then I think there was "advance purchase".

But the gates are open now, I think, and any"thing" done in advance
can be described as an advance "thing".

>" Did she give them to you as an advance Christmas present?"

Born west of Pittsburgh Pa. 10 years
Indianapolis, 7 years
Chicago, 6 years
Brooklyn NY 12 years
Baltimore 17 years

Mark Wallace

Oct 4, 2001, 12:40:49 AM10/4/01

<meirm...@erols.com> wrote in message

> In alt.english.usage on Mon, 01 Oct 2001 23:50:27 +0900 masahiko
> <kiri...@mth.biglobe.ne.jp> posted:
>
> >Is an advance Christmas present a Christmas present given in advance?
>
> I'm sure it is. They've taken, I probably do it too, a trade term and
> extended it to other things. I think for 10 or 20 years I've heard of
> advance publications, which iiuc might be books sent to critics in
> advance of their release to the public.
>
> Then I think there was "advance purchase".
>
> But the gates are open now, I think, and any"thing" done in advance
> can be described as an advance "thing".

I suppose we can all look forward to 'advance pre-Christmas presents'.

--

Barbera Wallace

Who would be mad enough to cycle from
Rotterdam to South Africa?
http://humorpages.virtualave.net/cycles/

Mark Wallace

Oct 4, 2001, 12:42:37 AM10/4/01

"Mark Wallace" <mwallac...@noknok.nl> wrote in message

> <meirm...@erols.com> wrote in message
> > In alt.english.usage on Mon, 01 Oct 2001 23:50:27 +0900 masahiko
> > <kiri...@mth.biglobe.ne.jp> posted:
> >
> > >Is an advance Christmas present a Christmas present given in advance?
> >
> > I'm sure it is. They've taken, I probably do it too, a trade term and
> > extended it to other things. I think for 10 or 20 years I've heard of
> > advance publications, which iiuc might be books sent to critics in
> > advance of their release to the public.
> >
> > Then I think there was "advance purchase".
> >
> > But the gates are open now, I think, and any"thing" done in advance
> > can be described as an advance "thing".
>
> I suppose we can all look forward to 'advance pre-Christmas presents'.
>
> --
>
> Barbera Wallace

That was the quickest and most painless sex change in history.

Tip of the Week: never let a woman touch your computer.

meirm...@erols.com

Oct 4, 2001, 1:07:03 AM10/4/01
In alt.english.usage on Thu, 4 Oct 2001 06:40:49 +0200 "Mark Wallace"
<mwallac...@noknok.nl> posted:

><meirm...@erols.com> wrote in message
>> In alt.english.usage on Mon, 01 Oct 2001 23:50:27 +0900 masahiko
>> <kiri...@mth.biglobe.ne.jp> posted:
>>
>> >Is an advance Christmas present a Christmas present given in advance?
>>
>> I'm sure it is. They've taken, I probably do it too, a trade term and
>> extended it to other things. I think for 10 or 20 years I've heard of
>> advance publications, which iiuc might be books sent to critics in
>> advance of their release to the public.
>>
>> Then I think there was "advance purchase".
>>
>> But the gates are open now, I think, and any"thing" done in advance
>> can be described as an advance "thing".

I don't think I said what I wanted to say. .... I think we can
expect that any"thing" done in advance might well be described by
someone as an advance "thing".

>I suppose we can all look forward to 'advance pre-Christmas presents'.

Eric Walker

Oct 4, 2001, 3:07:24 AM10/4/01
On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 21:38:16 -0400, meirm...@erols.com wrote:

[...]

>They've taken, I probably do it too, a trade term and extended
>it to other things. I think for 10 or 20 years I've heard of
>advance publications, which iiuc might be books sent to critics
>in advance of their release to the public.
>
>Then I think there was "advance purchase".
>
>But the gates are open now, I think, and any"thing" done in
>advance can be described as an advance "thing".

I don't reckon the subject worth a deal of time, but I do
wonder: an advance release suggests a prototype or at least a
review copy, presumably with the full, regular release to follow
later. Would not then the phrase "advance Christmas present"
imply a regular present or set of presents to follow at the more
usual time for such?

If this were a Victorian novel, the extended subtitle might be
"Or, The Kidnapping and Sequestration of the Word 'Early.'"

--
Cordially,
Eric Walker, Owlcroft House