city vs private sector

1 view

cdog

Apr 5, 2011, 9:55:43 AM4/5/11
Okay guys.. I need some advice from experts.. :-)

I have an offer from the Fire Dept as an assistant electrical
engineer. I'll just be checking FA drawings in compliance of the NFPA
101 and 72. Not the NEC grrr. and its about 60-90min commute.

I am currently employed in the private sector as an electrical
engineer doing high power distribution design. I do AutoCAD 2d, 3d dwg
files and lighting simulation. Of course, like any other job we had
massive layoffs, and like any other job they say no more layoffs.. but
we are all waiting till next quarter.. with this job i get paid 5k
more and the commute is 30-45 from home. Did I mention that I have
been doing down time and they lowered peoples hours to 30. Bottom line
i like designing I get artistic

As an electrical engineer I wanted to stay in the private sector and
wait it out. But with the economy doesn't look like its getting any
better. The big boss however tries to calm us by trying to get more
contracts. Currently i'm trying to get my FE for the 3x. Also I have
to think about my family and not myself. I know the city jobs are more
secure and i'll be in a union, but the pay isn't all that..

any info would help.. :-)
Thanks..!