self-regulating line capacitor at 20 kV with potential transformer?

Dimitris Tzortzakakis

Apr 22, 2022, 11:41:09 AM4/22/22
There are many of these here (Greece, Crete, Iraklion Prefecture) at
first I thought they were circuit breakers, but then saw one of them
wired in delta, and that's defintely not a way to wire a circuit
breaker!and of course circuit breakers don't need potential
transformers, they need current transformers! I will post a link to a
photo as long as I can take a photo of one of them! (they're only at
rural areas!)

Jackson Benete

May 11, 2022, 7:54:19 PM5/11/22
I'm curious to see that!
Please share with us.
Good to see something real in these engineering newsgroups.
They're totally empty or else it's spam. :(

Dimitris Tzortzakakis

Aug 12, 2022, 9:43:24 AM8/12/22
https://www.flickr.com/photos/167258532@N02/52279736772/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/167258532@N02/52279738022/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/167258532@N02/52280986889/in/dateposted-public/
it's not a self-regulated capacitor as I first thought, it's a sulfur
hexafluoride (SF 6) circuit breaker and the potential transformer is
supllying the auxilliary voltage! I suppose they installled them (there
are LOTS of them)so as easily to disconnect a part of the line. before
that theu had to open the circuit breaker all the way upstream to the
150/20 kV substation, open the disconnect switch, which would disconnect
the line downstream, and then reclose the circuit breaker. closing again
the disconnect switch would cause no problems. you can see here upstream
a disconnect switch.