electronic ballast woes...

Dimitris Tzortzakakis

Oct 7, 2020, 12:34:17 PM10/7/20
One of my clients who is a hairdresser bought one of these cheap chinese
sterilizers for sterilizing her scissors etc.which is actually a plastic
box with a fluorescent lamp sans phosphor that emits UV light.It goes
without saying that the electronic ballast failed after a couple of
months and it is minimalistically engineered. So I got a surplus 5 W
Ballast (a regular one made of iron and copper) from a friend who has a
shop, made all the necessary surgery, installed a starter and voila!I'm
still at awe that a PCB with a part count of 20 is cheaper to
manufacture than a real ballast and starter!(the lamp is 4W and costs 10
euros or something.the ballast plus parts cost 5 euros).