HENRY FORD: FREE ENERGY USING COW MAGNETS???

gordon richmond

Jul 8, 2002, 1:30:24 PM7/8/02
What a crock!

Aside from the rather obvious fact that there ain't no such thing as a
perpetual motion machine, this writer of this nonsense doesn't even have
much of a clue about how how a Model T really does work.

The "magneto" in the bellhousing of a Model T is a low-voltage
generator. It supplies primary current to the ignition system, in which
there are four (4) vibrator-type ignition coils, one for each cylinder,
with current to their primaries being controlled by the "timer", which
is really a low-voltage analog of the distributor on a modern car.

As to a "weighted" crankshaft, very much the opposite is true. The
crankshaft has no counterweights on it. Neither does a Model A
crankshaft, although the Model A did use a conventional (Kettering)
ignition system. If you go to any big antique-car swap meet you will
find vendors selling A & T crankshafts that have had counterweights
added to make the engines run more smoothly.

Look at any Model T in a car museum or at a show. There are thousands of
them out there. You will see the four vibrator-type coils in a tray or
box built into the firewall of the car. It is a very prominent feature.

I'm no Model T expert, but anybody that has spent much time around old
cars will know this much, since T models are so common that have become
sort of a benchmark to which other cars are compared.

Gordon Richmond

daestrom

Jul 8, 2002, 7:21:14 PM7/8/02
> Aside from the rather obvious fact that there ain't no such thing as a
> perpetual motion machine, this writer of this nonsense doesn't even have
> much of a clue about how how a Model T really does work.
>
> The "magneto" in the bellhousing of a Model T is a low-voltage
> generator. It supplies primary current to the ignition system, in which
> there are four (4) vibrator-type ignition coils, one for each cylinder,
> with current to their primaries being controlled by the "timer", which
> is really a low-voltage analog of the distributor on a modern car.

Exactly correct!!!

> As to a "weighted" crankshaft, very much the opposite is true. The
> crankshaft has no counterweights on it. Neither does a Model A
> crankshaft, although the Model A did use a conventional (Kettering)
> ignition system. If you go to any big antique-car swap meet you will
> find vendors selling A & T crankshafts that have had counterweights
> added to make the engines run more smoothly.

Also true from what I've seen. My brother rebuilt a Model T while in high
school, and I helped. Learned a lot about car basics that way. Learned how
they made poured bearings and then ream them out. Flat belt-drive of the
water pump. How to crank the engine without getting my thumb broke when it
kicks. Lots of stuff.

But no, I don't believe the OP for a minute. Been to Henry Ford Museum
several times too. Never heard such a crock before about Model T.

daestrom

The Proud Infidel

Jul 9, 2002, 5:49:04 AM7/9/02
BS OR NOT, AND IT PROBABLY IS, THE FLYWHEEL IS NOT A BAD IDEA. I HAVE MESSED
AROUND WITH SEVERAL MAGNETIC MOTORS AND SEVERAL ALMOST WORKED OR WORKED FOR
A WHILE BEFORE THEY LOCKED UP. MAYBE THE FLYWHEEL IDEA JUST MIGHT HELP KEEP
ONE WORKING.

BY THE WAY, WHAT THE HECK IS A "COW MAGNET"

----

> FORD MODEL "T" MAGNETIC MODIFICATION
>
> "Report that the 1st run batch of Model T engines could be modified to
run
> without fuel using self-sustaining magnetic repulsion.
>
> -> Model T Magnetic Engine - 04/06/97
> ->Information that linked John Keely to Henry Ford, Sr.
>
> The Model T used a hand-cranked magneto starting system to provide the
spark
> that exploded the gas to move the pistons. This is how a lawnmower
produces
> the spark needed to keep its engine running. The flywheel had very strong
> magnets embedded in it. The bell housing that surrounded the flywheel had
> coils of wire which would produce a nasty high voltage spark when the
flywheel
> rotated the magnetic field past the coils. This spark is what ignited the
> gasoline in the cylinders. The magneto type starting system had to be hand
> cranked to get the motor running, and the burning gasoline would keep it
> running once started.
>
> The first year model T's built by Ford had a special flywheel and housing
that
> was said to have been designed by John Worrell Keely and sold to Henry
Ford.
> Ford bought the design as a form of insurance because of all the
harassment
> he was getting from vested interests not wanting to see him succeed.
After
> [...]
very
> high voltage/current to spark the plugs. It produced a vicious spark.
>
> Once the cow magnets were placed in the slots, the hand crank was turned
and
> the flywheel would spin on its own, generating up to 40 HP and completely
self
> running. You had to get the flywheel spinning to a minimum rpm before the
> magnetic drive effect would take place.
>
> Ford told his opponents that all Model T owners would then be running
their
> cars for FREE, not requiring any gasoline or other fuel. And that the
> principle would be copied and applied to all machinery. Once Ford's
opposing
> forces verified the truth of this, "THEY" instantly ceased all attempts at
> intimidating Ford and his company succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.
>
> My contact said there were three fellows who got wind of this story
several
> years ago. They secured a first-run Model T and found it did indeed have
> strange slots on the bell housing. Magnets were inserted and when they
cranked
> it, the flywheel began to spin on its own.
>
> Based on this initial verifying experiment, they eventually produced a
40hp
> version which was self-running, using the same magneto system. A
demonstration
> was scheduled in a larger city and two of the men drove the prototype to
the
> demonstration, the third man was ill and could not attend.
>
> The demonstration went off without a hitch and was enthusiastically
received.
> Plans and contacts were made for duplicating the prototype for further
tests
> that would be followed by marketing.
>
> As the two men were driving home late that evening with their prototype,
their
> vehicle was run off the road. The next day, their vehicle was found
overturned,
> both bodies lying in a ditch with their throats slit and the prototype was
gone.

> The third man who had been too ill to attend the demonstration packed up
> everything and went into hiding. Word is, this man is still alive, very
> paranoid, yet he has not given up on the principle and has gone even
further in
> his development of the principle.
>
> Ford intended the Model T to be run on ETHANOL, not gasoline, because it
was a
> renewable fuel. This could have been the bone of contention with the
gas/oil
> companies.
>
> The original vehicle produced in 1903 was the Model A, of which about
1,700
> were produced.
>
> Henry Ford Sr. was born July 30th, 1863 and died on April 7th, 1947.
Keely
> died in 1898. So there is a nearly a 40 year period when they could quite
> possibly have known each other. Ford did make trips to Manhattan and being
of
> an inventive mind would have heard of Keely, who was written up in many
papers
> and magazines from 1872 until his death in 1898. It is not too much of a
> stretch to envision Ford attending one or more of Keely's many public
demon-
> strations (as did Tesla who I have NO DOUBT copied much of Keely's
discoveries
> using electric current instead of mechanically produced vibrations.
>
> The various claims for PMMs (perpetual motion machines), whether magnetic
or
> gravity driven, always require a restorative kick to keep it running.
>
> A flywheel or weighted arm mounted on a horizontal shaft so that it
rotates in
> a vertical plane, will fall by the force of 'gravity' and inertia will
push it
> past the 180 degree point and up to about 270 plus degrees. At that
point,
> you have to use a 'kicker' to push it past the 360 degree point so that
the
> rotation will perpetuate. Just like pushing someone on a swing, if you
time
> your pushes just right, you can drive them in ever higher arcs and
eventually
> over the 360 mark.
>
> The Model T engine used a weighted crankshaft, that was why the vehicles
would
> vibrate from side to side due to the inertial kick of the weight. I am
also
> told that these engines could also idle at very low rpms, something on the
> order of 100 or so revolutions per minute. This story is definitely out
there
> but should be fairly easy to prove.
>
> Perhaps someone out there has access to a Model A or a Model T and can
examine
> the bell housings on these vehicles. At this point, I think the weighted
> crankshaft would be necessary to the operation of the magnetic engine
since it
> would provide the restorative force.
>
> EOF

the_original_

Jul 9, 2002, 11:07:42 AM7/9/02
a cow that has been magnetized so as to pick up scrap ferrous metals in
the pasture. provides an additional source of income for the farmer.

Steve Tee

Jul 9, 2002, 11:25:16 PM7/9/02
I don't have any cow magnets. But I have a bag of Donkey magnets here. If I
put some of these outside,
my donkey arrives within a few seconds - and sticks to them.
Upon their disappearance, my donkey no longer has anything to stick to - so
she wanders off, sort of
like a busted compass.

These Donkey magnets can be bought where ever good carrots are sold :).

Sorry, couldn't resist being a silly beggar :).

Cheerio,

Steve.

The Proud Infidel

Jul 10, 2002, 6:30:45 AM7/10/02
I don't suppose old Henry ever mentioned how to magnetize a cow or how to
get the cows in the housing did he?

"the_original_" <greggie-gib...@wicked.as> wrote in message

Chuck

Jul 10, 2002, 7:49:07 AM7/10/02
Cow magnets are about 2 1/2 inches long and 3/8 inch in diameter, used by
farmers. They make the cows swallow the magnets, which attract anything
metal that the cows ingest, preventing injury to the cow.
"The Proud Infidel" <nor...@thisadress.com> wrote in message

Richard W.

Jul 11, 2002, 1:47:21 AM7/11/02
I have 2 stuck to the shelf. You can get them at just about any farm store.
Cows will swallow just about anything. You wouldn't believe some of the
stuff found in cows stomachs.

Richard W.

"Chuck" <chuckk...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

The Proud Infidel

Jul 11, 2002, 9:13:24 AM7/11/02
Aw shukins ... you busted ma bubble. Here I was picturing cows walking
around the field with old mufflers, pieces of barbed wire and an assortment
of nuts and bolts stuck to them. I guess that is why you never see any
trained cows in the circus. Not too smart huh.

They sound like something nice to play with. Don't go to any trouble but if
you happen to know off the top of your head.....
How powerful are they?
Is the polarity on the ends or sides?
How much do they cost?

"Richard W." <raw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

ugu...@nowhere.net

Jul 13, 2002, 2:21:58 AM7/13/02
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 05:49:04 -0400, "The Proud Infidel"
<nor...@thisadress.com> wrote:

>BS OR NOT, AND IT PROBABLY IS, THE FLYWHEEL IS NOT A BAD IDEA. I HAVE MESSED
>AROUND WITH SEVERAL MAGNETIC MOTORS AND SEVERAL ALMOST WORKED OR WORKED FOR
>A WHILE BEFORE THEY LOCKED UP. MAYBE THE FLYWHEEL IDEA JUST MIGHT HELP KEEP
>ONE WORKING.
>
>BY THE WAY, WHAT THE HECK IS A "COW MAGNET"

When I was a kid, my dad had a ford falcon. We lived in the country,
and that same car was damaged in accidents with cows at least three
times. I fugure a 1964 Ford Falcon is likely a cow magnet.

The Proud Infidel

Jul 13, 2002, 9:58:01 AM7/13/02

<ugu...@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> times. I figure a 1964 Ford Falcon is likely a cow magnet.

Sounds good to me. MMMMMM .... I wonder how big an armature you would need
to use 64 Ford Falcons as magnets in a generator.

Anthony Matonak

Jul 13, 2002, 12:18:33 PM7/13/02
The Proud Infidel wrote:

> Sounds good to me. MMMMMM .... I wonder how big an armature you would need
> to use 64 Ford Falcons as magnets in a generator.

Well, if the armature had the coils you would only need one Ford Falcon,
though you might have to bend it a little to get the right shape. Besides,
I'm sure it's more effective to use Fords for the magnets than to use Cows.

Anthony

Harry K

Jul 13, 2002, 11:47:10 PM7/13/02
"The Proud Infidel" <nor...@thisadress.com> wrote in message news:<XrfX8.13594$T_.2...@iad-read.news.verio.net>...

> Aw shukins ... you busted ma bubble. Here I was picturing cows walking
> around the field with old mufflers, pieces of barbed wire and an assortment
> of nuts and bolts stuck to them. I guess that is why you never see any
> trained cows in the circus. Not too smart huh.
>
> They sound like something nice to play with. Don't go to any trouble but if
> you happen to know off the top of your head.....
> How powerful are they?
> Is the polarity on the ends or sides?
> How much do they cost?

<monster snippage>

They are just a fairly large bar magnet with the poles on the ends.
They come in round or square shape (cross section I'm talking) and are
not expensive. You can get them at any farm supply store. One should
be in any shop for retrieving small items from the cracks in the
floor/bench.

Harry K

CM

Jul 19, 2002, 4:22:10 AM7/19/02
"Dave B." <...

> CAN ANYONE ADD TO THIS STORY OR PROVE IT???
> THANKS!
> db

The story is a hoax, probably created by someone trying to sell some
gullible sucker a "Magnetic Power Perpetual Energy Wonder Machine", or
get said sucker to invest in his "can't fail git rich quick
_Magnetic_Power_Research_Company_" scam.

If Henry Ford had a way to power his car with cheap cow magnets he
would have done so - it would have been simpler and cheaper, and sold
like hotcakes. No opposition from oil companies - before the model T
became common, most of the oil companies sales and profit was kerosene
for lanterns and lubricating oil. Electric lights were a bigger threat
to the oil companies at that time!

CM

Vinyasi

Oct 22, 2022, 6:00:10 PM10/22/22
It was General Motors, as I recall reading somewhere, who had threatened Henry Ford. Not the oil companies. GM succeeded by withdrawing their threat to take over Henry's company and, instead, come out with a new model of car every year -- not fundamentally different than the previous year, but cosmetically different enough to convince customers that this alteration was effectively NEW and IMPROVED. This worked better than their previous threat had in obtaining a competitive edge over Henry, and has become standard practice among almost all car manufacturers.