Aurora 6500 diesel

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Mar 15, 2020, 1:36:44 PM3/15/20
Wondering if anyone here is familar with this unit
< or similar small deisel units >
How noisy are they compared to gasoline ?
< both being 3600 rpm >

https://manualzz.com/doc/1905972/aurora-agi6500de-specifications

There's one coming up at a local auction sale.
John T.

Mar 15, 2020, 10:56:20 PM3/15/20
From some research I did a couple years ago,
https://www.homerenergy.com/products/pro/docs/3.11/generator_lifetime.html
the noise is comparable to a gas gen unless there is extra sound
deadening added. The life of an air-cooled diesel is several times
longer than the life of a similarly-sized gas engine but mostly
because they have to be built better to handle the higher compression.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Mar 16, 2020, 10:17:03 AM3/16/20
Thanks. I'm not real keen to buy another noisy generator,
but I might visit the auction out of curiosity .. in case it sells
really cheap ..
John T.

Jim Wilkins

Mar 16, 2020, 1:56:25 PM3/16/20
<hub...@ccanoemail.ca> wrote in message
I built a fairly effective generator sound-reducing enclosure from 2'
x 4' fireproof acoustic ceiling tiles, rimmed with sheet metal |_|
strips to keep the edges from crumbling. It's assembled with thumb
screws and U spring nuts.
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Spring-nuts-Nuts-Fasteners-Hardware/4294710807

The side facing away from the street is open to let cooling air in and
the exhaust out. I tried muffling the exhaust with fiberglass pipe
insulation and found that most of the noise comes from the engine
block.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Mar 16, 2020, 2:44:22 PM3/16/20
Over the years, I've thought about a makeshift sound barrier -
- usually I talk myself out of it when I start to consider all the
fire/wind/rain/snow possibilities ...
I have heard that engine noise is a major factor -
- not just exhaust noise.
John T.

Jim Wilkins

Mar 16, 2020, 5:58:01 PM3/16/20
<hub...@ccanoemail.ca> wrote in message
The Home Depot ceiling tiles I used resist a propane torch flame quite
well. I have some corrugated galvy roofing to cover it from rain or
snow though it hasn't been tested. A weighted tarp would probably
work.

At first I taped the tiles' edges with aluminum foil duct tape, which
didn't stick well enough to be a permanent solution but it protected
them from shredding while I fitted and pop-riveted the sheet steel
channel |_| sections, which were cut and folded from a scrapped
above-ground pool.

I used a shear and brake, but thin sheet steel can be bent neatly
without a brake by clamping it between planks along the bend line and
hammering on a block of wood placed against the free side to spread
the force and sharpen the bend along the bend line.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Mar 16, 2020, 6:09:47 PM3/16/20
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 17:58:23 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
Thanks for the ideas.
Is yours a simple knock-down design when not in use ?
John T.

Jim Wilkins

Mar 16, 2020, 7:10:07 PM3/16/20
<hub...@ccanoemail.ca> wrote in message
The corners of the back wall have angular brackets that extend forward
to brace the sides when assembled, or hold all the panels nested
together for transport and storage. I considered hinging the sides to
the back but the sheet steel I used is too thin to stand the strain.
The unattached top panel lifts off to service the genny.