Writing Contest! to benefit new EMS group

Allison Turner-

Jun 20, 2008, 10:16:16 PM6/20/08
Wow. This sure is a quiet and peaceful newsgroup.

I'll try perking it up a bit. (Apologies in advance - I've crossposted this
elsewhere.) Anyone with any actual dispatch conversation ever come here?
Anyway:

My friend and neighbor just down the road a piece has started up a new First
Response squad. We've had one here in my town that I started about three years
ago, but hers is just a wee young thing. They have almost no equipment, a very
small budget, and all of their townsfolk are even further from ambulance
services and hospitals than mine are - their services are critical.

So my friend and neighbor came up with this really cool idea: They're having a
writing contest. If you have a story that is in some way about EMS, and you
think you can write it well so that we'll love to read it (usenet posters, in my
experience, can really write), you can enter ($35). The entry fees are all
pooled, and half of the money supports the new squad, while the other half goes
to writers of the selected top three stories. First prize is guaranteed to be
at least $1000. You can read more about it here: http://www.halifaxems.org/ I
just checked, and fiction is fine, too. I believe submissions need to be in by
Sept 1st.

I'm pretty excited about this. I'm one of the people who gets to *read* these
stories - it's going to be so much fun!

Would some of you please pass on this message to anyone you think might be
interested? I'd really like to help out this new squad and make their contest a
big success.

Thank you!

-Allison

--