aloha from hawaii question (the cape)

my2003

Aug 3, 2003, 7:39:45 AM8/3/03
Hi all,

in a couple of biographies i read that elvis tossed his custom made cape
for the to be televised special into the audience during the dress rehearsal
show. on http://www.elvis-presley-superstar.de/ there is a section on the
aloha from hawaii special with some pics of the shows. there is a picture of
elvis with a cape, appearently at the end of the show. but it is absolutely
not the cape he used for the special. so.... my question is... did he really
throw that cape into the audience and left bill belew breathless or is this
another path of the mythe? This cape just seems to be a plain one, no
stones, nothing.

Any ideas?

Thx.

R.

Dawn in Memphis

Aug 3, 2003, 11:04:32 AM8/3/03
>Subject: aloha from hawaii question (the cape)
>From: "my2003" sftnn...@nospamhotmail.com
>Date: 8/3/2003 6:39 AM Central Daylight Time

I have heard different versions of this story.
In one, Elvis gave Jack Lord his original long heavy Aloha Cape before the
show.
In another, ( I think this is factual) Elvis gave Jack Lord the Aloha belt
before the show, causing panic to have another one made quickly.

But most stories seem to agree that Elvis did toss the shorter Aloha cape into
the audience and an Aloha belt as well.

I think there was a blue walking cape made for the Special too.

Dawn
www.altelvisking.com

BEV TCB

Aug 3, 2003, 5:20:56 PM8/3/03
> my question is... did he really
>throw that cape into the audience and left bill belew breathless or is this
>another path of the mythe? This cape just seems to be a plain one, no
>stones, nothing.

Yes Elvis really did throw the cape into the audience and you are right Bill
Belew got a call and had to work all night to get another one made for him. He
told told this story on a Q&A Panel in Palm Springs.

Bev

Coolrockndaddy

Aug 3, 2003, 7:42:35 PM8/3/03
>From: bevtcb

>Yes Elvis really did throw the cape into the audience and you are right Bill
>Belew got a call and had to work all night to get another one made for him.
>He
>told told this story on a Q&A Panel in Palm Springs.
>Bev

The cap Elvis threw to the audiance at the end of the "Aloha from Hawaii"
special did not look like it was planned! To me it looked like Elvis was having
trouble trying to hook if back on and became frustrated when he couldn't, then
threw it in anger!!!
I could be wrong but I saw a picture of it in Billy Idol's house along with
the TCB sunny glasses! Idol's a big Elvis fan and curls his lip even higher
then Elvis did! LOL
~AL~

BEV TCB

Aug 3, 2003, 8:38:33 PM8/3/03
>The cap Elvis threw to the audiance at the end of the "Aloha from Hawaii"
>special did not look like it was planned! To me it looked like Elvis was
>having
>trouble trying to hook if back on and became frustrated when he couldn't,
>then
>threw it in anger!!!
>I could be wrong but I saw a picture of it in Billy Idol's house along with
>the TCB sunny glasses! Idol's a big Elvis fan and curls his lip even higher
>then Elvis did! LOL
>~AL~

I don't know about that but it is my understanding that the cape that he threw
was on loan by the guy who caught it and displayed in the case in Graceland. I
don't know if it is still there.

Bev

***ELVIS is ATOMIC***

Aug 3, 2003, 8:58:31 PM8/3/03

"BEV TCB" <bev...@aol.com> wrote in message

That's what I believe too. I actually heard that GL tried to demand it back
at first.

Hollywood Sixx

Aug 3, 2003, 9:23:14 PM8/3/03
The guy who caught it died of cancer a few years ago, and his family sent
the cape on a "permanat loan" to be displayed at Graceland. There was a sign
by the cape stating this, of course the last time I was there that sign was
no longer there.

Also, on a similar note, they also had a record player from Elvis' room in
the sincerely Elvis museum with a Stamps record in it with a sign sayibng
this was how it was found when Elvis died, so this was the last record Elvis
ever listened to on it, and it had been left this way since that day. I
remember it had a green label on it. The next time I went there, there sat
the record player...with no record

So who knows what the hell is going on over there.

Amy? You still lurking here? Got a scoop for us?

"***ELVIS is ATOMIC***" <elvi...@volcanomail.com> wrote in message

Coolrockndaddy

Aug 3, 2003, 9:59:34 PM8/3/03
>From: bevtcb

>>The cap Elvis threw to the audiance at the end of the "Aloha from Hawaii"
>>special did not look like it was planned! To me it looked like Elvis was
>>having
>>trouble trying to hook if back on and became frustrated when he couldn't,
>>then threw it in anger!!!

>I don't know about that but it is my understanding that the cape that he

>threw was on loan by the guy who caught it and displayed in the case in
Graceland.
>I don't know if it is still there.
>Bev

Just watch when he trys to put it on...several times Elvis is trying to snap or
hook it but he can't (watch his hand), so he just threw it to the audience in
anger!!!! Do you really think Elvis threw it right to the guy who loaned it to
him? No way!
~AL~

BEV TCB

Aug 3, 2003, 10:27:15 PM8/3/03
>Just watch when he trys to put it on...several times Elvis is trying to snap
>or
>hook it but he can't (watch his hand), so he just threw it to the audience in
>anger!!!! Do you really think Elvis threw it right to the guy who loaned it
>him? No way!
>~AL~

No the guy didn't loan the cape to Elvis, Elvis threw the cape and this guy
caught it. He is the one who loaned it to Graceland for display.

Bev

Dawn in Memphis

Aug 3, 2003, 10:29:33 PM8/3/03
>From: bev...@aol.com (BEV TCB)
>Date: 8/3/2003 7:38 PM Central
>

>I don't know about that but it is my understanding that the cape that he
>threw
>was on loan by the guy who caught it and displayed in the case in Graceland.
>don't know if it is still there

There were 3 Aloha capes, so it gets a bit confusing. There were also 2 Aloha
belts and 2 jumpsuits.

Dawn
www.altelvisking.com

Coolrockndaddy

Aug 4, 2003, 4:39:10 AM8/4/03

I'm sorry, Bev, I misunderstood you on the guy who caught the cape but I still
don't believe Elvis had any intentions of throwing the cape to the audience
until he became angered about not being able to hook it back on himself!!!
~AL~

Aug 4, 2003, 11:06:25 AM8/4/03
CRD, he was not trying to hook it back on, he was trying to get it off so he
could throw it. Watch it again. He threw the belt into the crowd on purpose
to. Elvis had already given away one cape. He was just giving another one
away.

.H.

Coolrockndaddy <coolroc...@aol.com> wrote in message

my2003

Aug 4, 2003, 12:03:13 PM8/4/03

> There were 3 Aloha capes, so it gets a bit confusing. There were also 2
Aloha
> belts and 2 jumpsuits.
>

> Dawn
> www.altelvisking.com

Hmmm, three???

So that must be one he was wearing on the picture mentioned in my original
post and two similar ones with stones and such?

Were there two or three concerts?

Because the picture clearly shows a dark cape with no stones or other stuff.
I did not see that cape during the dress rehearsal or the original
broadcast. So... that makes three performances????

Help!!!

Charles Thomas

Aug 4, 2003, 12:25:02 PM8/4/03
I'm with H on this one, and anyone with more facts can feel free to
correct any mistakes in this:

There was the long Aloha cape, which Elvis said was too heavy to wear.
I saw an episode of a show that was like "Antiques Road Show" except
with Rock memorabilia, and some collector had this longer Aloha cape.
This was a couple years ago, and I don't know if EPE has gotten its
hands on the longer cape it yet. It was huge!

There was the short one, which was thrown intentionally into the
audience during the Aloha performance. You can, as H said, see Elvis
reach back and take it off purposefully during the end of "Can't Help
Falling In Love" at the close of the show.

He wasn't trying to "re-attach" it, since it was on throughout that
song. Charlie helps him snap it on as he introduces the song and says
good-bye to the crowd.

A sports writer caught the cape, and as someone else said, when he died
his estate gave it back to Graceland on "permanant loan". I've seen
this cape at Graceland on two occasions, the most recent being last
August.

Elvis gave Jack Lord the original Aloha belt, and Bill Belew had to rush
to make a new one prior to the show. There was some difficulty finding
enough rubies, as I recall.

Elvis also is said to have thrown his belt into the crowd during the
Aloha show, and there are plenty of pictures of him finishing the show
without his belt. I don't recall seeing the belt-throwing on the
concert film, however. If I remember correctly, one minute it's there,
the next minute it's gone.

I know the photo that's being spoken of with Elvis wearing the Aloha
costume with a plain cape, but don't know where/when this cape fits into
things. It's not seen during the Aloha broadcast, to my knowledge.

I know Elvis wore the "Aloha Eagle" jumpsuit on other occasions during
1973 and after, so perhaps it's a cape he wore on a subsequent occasion
and the photo was used for the Aloha artwork after the fact?

CT

Luuk

Aug 4, 2003, 12:37:06 PM8/4/03
"my2003" <sftnn...@nospamhotmail.com> schreef in bericht

There were rehearsals on January 10 and 11 plus a full dress rehearsal on
January 12 which was filmed "just in case" (The alternate Aloha).
At the end of the January 12 show Elvis throws his cape into the audience.
Bill Belew was forced to make a new one and fly it to Hawaii.
January 14 at 00.30 hours the live broadcast to the Far East and Australia
was done. Plus taped for later broadcast in the USA and Europe.
Again Elvis threw his cape into the audience. It was caught by Bruce Spinks
(sportswriter for the "Honolulu Advisor") but he sold the cape later in the
year. This cape was eventually returned to Graceland.

There is no report of a third cape.

Source: All shook up: Elvis day by day 1954-1977 by Lee Cotton.

January 9 Elvis has a rehearsal with the band and the back up singers.
January 10 the full orchestra is present.
January 11: Elvis is planning to wear an American-eagle jumpsuit and cape
specially designed for the occasion. Either on the previous night, or the
night before, he gives the matching, ruby-encrusted belt to the wife of his
friend Jack Lord.
January 12 Elvis attends an extra rehearsal to iron out some technical
difficulties.
January 12: International Convention CenterArena, Honolulu, Hawaii at 8:30
p.m.: This first performance with an audience is billed as a dress rehearsal
and taped in case there are problems with satellite transmission the next
night.

Source: Elvis day by day, the definitive record of his life and music by
Peter Guralnick and Ernst Jorgensen

my2003

Aug 4, 2003, 12:47:08 PM8/4/03
go to
http://www.elvis-presley-superstar.de/
then choose gallerie
then the aloha section
seite 2 (it is a german site)

there is definately a pic of elvis either at the end or the beginning of a
concert (given his messy hair and the lack of a scarf plus the look on
elvis's face i would say the end) wearing a dark cape.
In the background one can see the mirror as it was used during the aloha
special.

So.... who solves this one???

"Luuk" <luukbo...@wanadoo.nl> schreef in bericht

Luuk

Aug 4, 2003, 12:53:49 PM8/4/03
To me it looks like the cape is black on the inside and white with stones
(expensive stones, though) on the outside.

"my2003" <sftnn...@nospamhotmail.com> schreef in bericht

my2003

Aug 4, 2003, 1:31:59 PM8/4/03
what show would this be?

"Luuk" <luukbo...@wanadoo.nl> schreef in bericht

my2003

Aug 4, 2003, 1:32:59 PM8/4/03
actually
there are no stones on the outside with the exception the sidelines

"Luuk" <luukbo...@wanadoo.nl> schreef in bericht

Luuk

Aug 4, 2003, 1:46:11 PM8/4/03
On the different photo's you see the cape in different positions. From that
I gather it is black (or red, as it is a b/w pic on which red shows up as
black) inside and white with stones outside.

"my2003" <sftnn...@nospamhotmail.com> schreef in bericht

Dawn in Memphis

Aug 4, 2003, 2:28:22 PM8/4/03
>From: "Luuk" luukbo...@wanadoo.nl
>Date: 8/4/2003 11:37 AM Central

>There is no report of a third cape.

There are many reports of a third cape. And pictures.
scroll half way down the page to see them.
http://www.schreibarbeiten.org/wardrobe.html
One of the short capes is on display at Graceland and the other is at the
Hilton LV.

Dawn
www.altelvisking.com

Dawn in Memphis

Aug 4, 2003, 2:37:32 PM8/4/03
>From: Charles Thomas cthomas@REMOVE_SPAM_BLOCK.facstaff.wisc.edu
>Date: 8/4/2003 11:25 AM Central

>I know Elvis wore the "Aloha Eagle" jumpsuit on other occasions during
>1973 and after, so perhaps it's a cape he wore on a subsequent occasion
>and the photo was used for the Aloha artwork after the fact?
>
>CT

There were 2 Aloha jumpsuits, one had red flared legs and the other had blue
flared legs.
They were worn in Concert at least 5 times in '73 and at least 6 times in
'74

Dawn
www.altelvisking.com

my2003

Aug 4, 2003, 3:49:35 PM8/4/03
he is still wearing his belt, so this would be from the dress rehearsal
save from the fact that this is not the cape nor a similair one used for the
broadcast
u can see actually both sides of the cape and they are both dark

"Luuk" <luukbo...@wanadoo.nl> schreef in bericht

Coolrockndaddy

Aug 4, 2003, 5:54:11 PM8/4/03
>From: "H" dha

>CRD, he was not trying to hook it back on, he was trying to get it off so he
>could throw it. Watch it again. He threw the belt into the crowd on purpose
>to. Elvis had already given away one cape. He was just giving another one
>away.

>H.

I confess, I just watched it, after not seeing it since it was first released
on VHS! I must say it does look like Elvis threw it out to the audience on
purpose!! All I could remember was his left hand on the end of the cape and
thinking he was going for the wing spread on one knee but because he couldn't
reach it with his right hand ...he then decided to toss it! Geeees I guess it's
true old memories can play tricks!!! : (
~AL~

Hollywood Sixx

Aug 4, 2003, 6:49:32 PM8/4/03
> There was the long Aloha cape, which Elvis said was too heavy to wear.
> I saw an episode of a show that was like "Antiques Road Show" except
> with Rock memorabilia, and some collector had this longer Aloha cape.
> This was a couple years ago, and I don't know if EPE has gotten its
> hands on the longer cape it yet. It was huge!

EPE had the long cape for years. They sold it in the MGM auction here in
Vegas a few years ago. "Matress Mac" a furniture man from Houston Texas
bought it, as well as Elvis' favorite Lincoln, and one of the road crew
uniforms. He later appeared on Oprah wearing the crew suit, with the cape on
looking like a fool.

Why they would sell some of the items they did is beyond me. It is all stuff
that cannot be replaced, but they sold it....oh well.

atomic_elvis

Aug 4, 2003, 7:41:51 PM8/4/03
There was a full length cape too - has that been mentioned?

Dawn in Memphis

Aug 4, 2003, 7:54:29 PM8/4/03
>Subject: Re: aloha from hawaii question (the cape)
>From: ato...@elvis.com (atomic_elvis)
>Date: 8/4/2003 6:41 PM Central Daylight Time

>There was a full length cape too - has that been mentioned?

Wasn't that called the "walking cape?"
If so, it was mentioned...
That's the one Graceland auctioned off.

Dawn
www.altelvisking.com

Coolrockndaddy

Aug 4, 2003, 9:11:01 PM8/4/03
>From: freedom94d

>Wasn't that called the "walking cape?"
>If so, it was mentioned...
>That's the one Graceland auctioned off.

What's the one Billy Idol has in his colection? I saw a picture of him showing
it off in a frame on one of the walls in his house?
~AL~

tcbtom

Aug 5, 2003, 6:58:10 PM8/5/03
Al is wrong........the cape is on permanent loan to Graceland by the owner
that past away from cancer....the cape is now hanging in the racquetball
court. Just saw it a few weeks back......
--
tcbtom
Before Elvis......there was nobody!

"Coolrockndaddy" <coolroc...@aol.com> wrote in message

Coolrockndaddy

Aug 5, 2003, 8:04:48 PM8/5/03
>From: "tcbtom" y2presley

>Al is wrong........the cape is on permanent loan to Graceland by the owner
>that past away from cancer....the cape is now hanging in the racquetball
>court. Just saw it a few weeks back......

It wouldn't be the first time... : )... but since there's more then one...who
knows!
I know I saw a cape, which one who knows again, in Billy Idol's house in some
fan mag along with the TCB sun glasses! He had the cape framed, spread open and
hanging on the wall and the sun glasses on a pedestal under glass!!! This must
have been 10 years ago!!!
~AL~

Aug 5, 2003, 11:42:19 PM8/5/03
Yeah, but that's Billy idol. He is known for long term drug use. Maybe while
he was out of it he was tricked into buying a fake one.lol

.H.

Coolrockndaddy <coolroc...@aol.com> wrote in message

my2003

Aug 6, 2003, 6:42:07 AM8/6/03
hmmm
so there is a full length cape
a short cape
and 2 aloha from hawaii capes?
that is 4, not three
it is getting messier

"H" <d...@attcanada.ca> schreef in bericht

Tony

Aug 6, 2003, 8:57:14 AM8/6/03
Ed Parker claimed Elvis gave him the cape from the show. As to which
cape he was referring to, I don't know.

Dawn in Memphis

Aug 6, 2003, 10:45:27 AM8/6/03
>From: Sha...@webtv.net (Tony)
>Date: 8/6/2003 7:57 AM Central

> Ed Parker claimed Elvis gave him the cape from the show. As to which
>cape he was referring to, I don't know.

I had heard the same thing.
And there has been talk of over 20 different Aloha capes being auctioned off or
sold outright at diffrent times, so there must be alot of fakes out there.

Dawn
www.altelvisking.com

Luuk

Aug 6, 2003, 11:53:27 AM8/6/03
"Dawn in Memphis" <freed...@aol.com> schreef in bericht

Unfortunately Elvis fans are easily fooled.
Saw on Ebay an authentic (the seller's words, not mine) 1971 RCA catalog
complete with Certificate Of Authenticity. However, the photo's of the
inside clearly showed LP sleeves like Moody blue & Elvis in concert.
You do not even have to be clever to see it's fake.

IsisTheCat

Aug 6, 2003, 5:13:44 PM8/6/03

"Dawn in Memphis" <freed...@aol.com> wrote in message

Dawn
www.altelvisking.com
----------------------
Ed Parker did get one. I've seen it (and the belt) framed in a gorgeous
case on the wall in Mrs Parker's home.

Dawn in Memphis

Aug 6, 2003, 5:45:26 PM8/6/03
>From: "IsisTheCat" isisth...@hotmail.com
>Date: 8/6/2003 4:13 PM Central

>Ed Parker claimed Elvis gave him the cape from the show. As to which
>>cape he was referring to, I don't know.

>----------------------

>Ed Parker did get one. I've seen it (and the belt) framed in a gorgeous
>case on the wall in Mrs Parker's home.

That must have been quite a treat.
Lucky you! : )

Dawn
www.altelvisking.com

IsisTheCat

Aug 6, 2003, 8:01:56 PM8/6/03

"Dawn in Memphis" <freed...@aol.com> wrote in message

Dawn
www.altelvisking.com
-----------------------
It was. She's a very sweet lady.

tcbtom

Aug 7, 2003, 12:11:19 AM8/7/03
I should know, I own 3 of em.....lol.

--
tcbtom
Before Elvis......there was nobody!
After Elvis......there is still nobody!

tonyjus...@gmail.com

May 25, 2016, 5:00:54 PM5/25/16
This story was told by Joe Esposi in one of the movies made of Elvis s life, I can't remember which one. ZELL IS told Joe that the original cape was very heavy and at the end of can't help falling in love he threw the original one into the audience. I have the DVD of aloha from hawaii with two shows on it and you can see Elvis unsnapping the Cape and randomly throwing it into the audience. You can tell that he did not throw it to a specific individual. I was also watching a video today and you can see Elvis lightly tossed the belt into the first or second row of the audience, again no one inperticuler.

craig.p...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2017, 7:58:35 PM7/3/17
The show where yiuvsee Elvis have the cape is a reversal concert taped on January 12, in case there were issues with the actual telecast.

The actual telecast, Elvis did indeed throw his cape into the audience at the end. He didn't give it to Jack Lord. Somebody got it.

bugz...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2019, 11:02:47 PM4/14/19
On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 6:58:35 PM UTC-5, craig....@gmail.com wrote:
> The show where yiuvsee Elvis have the cape is a reversal concert taped on January 12, in case there were issues with the actual telecast.
>
> The actual telecast, Elvis did indeed throw his cape into the audience at the end. He didn't give it to Jack Lord. Somebody got it.

After the audience left the building Elvis recorded 5 more songs to be plugged into the American broadcast of the show which was aired in April of 1973

1969joh...@gmail.com

May 29, 2020, 3:35:58 AM5/29/20
A camera man cought it and sold it to a fan