"Drum" sound in "Don't be Cruel" ?

tpa...@ncar.ucar.edu

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
I've been puzzled by the drum sound on several of Elvis' hits, such as
"Don't be Cruel" and "All Shook Up". The sound is pretty much on the
beat. It's similar to a bongo, but I don't think that's it. A drummer
friend of mine thinks it's simply a "cupped hand clap".

Any ideas on what instrument that is?

Thanks!

-- Tom

ShakeyJack

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

>I've been puzzled by the drum sound on several of Elvis' hits, such as
>"Don't be Cruel" and "All Shook Up". The sound is pretty much on the
>beat. It's similar to a bongo, but I don't think that's it. A drummer
>friend of mine thinks it's simply a "cupped hand clap".
>
>Any ideas on what instrument that is?

It's Elvis slapping the back of his guitar.

Jack

Dean Jason Miller

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

Was it Elvis slapping on the guitar, or was it DJ Fontana? Did Elvis do an
guitar work on łDonąt Be Cruel˛?
Replies appreciated.

Dean Jason Miller

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
to tpa...@ncar.ucar.edu
tpa...@ncar.ucar.edu wrote:

> I've been puzzled by the drum sound on several of Elvis' hits, such as
> "Don't be Cruel" and "All Shook Up". The sound is pretty much on the
> beat. It's similar to a bongo, but I don't think that's it. A drummer
> friend of mine thinks it's simply a "cupped hand clap".
>
> Any ideas on what instrument that is?

On łDonąt Be Cruel˛, the łdrum˛ sound is actually DJ Fontana drumming on Elvisą
guitar case!
I hope this helps.

TMQ

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

It's Elvis patting the back of his Martin acoustic. The 'drum' sound was
overdubbed ... I don't think an undubbed master is in circulation. There's
a photo from the dubbing session, showing him doing it.

Martin Genz

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

Dean Jason Miller wrote:

> ShakeyJack wrote:
> >

> > >I've been puzzled by the drum sound on several of Elvis' hits, such as
> > >"Don't be Cruel" and "All Shook Up". The sound is pretty much on the
> > >beat. It's similar to a bongo, but I don't think that's it. A drummer
> > >friend of mine thinks it's simply a "cupped hand clap".
> > >
> > >Any ideas on what instrument that is?
> >

> > It's Elvis slapping the back of his guitar.
>
> Was it Elvis slapping on the guitar, or was it DJ Fontana? Did Elvis do an
> guitar work on łDonąt Be Cruel˛?
> Replies appreciated.

No, it was Elvis slapping DJ.

Martin

Martin Genz

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

Martin Genz wrote:

Sorry, I was wrong: it was DJ slapping Elvis' head and the result was Elvis
singing "Don't Be Cruel".

martin

Kingtcb

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

>>I've been puzzled by the drum sound on several of Elvis' hits, such as
>>"Don't be Cruel" and "All Shook Up"

It also may be heard on the" Wear My Ring Around Your Neck "song also

Unknown bongo player
kingtcb

tpark...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

> > On łDonąt Be Cruel˛, the łdrum˛ sound is actually DJ Fontana drumming
> >on Elvisą guitar case! I hope this helps.
>
> It's Elvis patting the back of his Martin acoustic. The 'drum' sound was
> overdubbed ... I don't think an undubbed master is in circulation. There's
> a photo from the dubbing session, showing him doing it.

Interesting. The consensus certainly seems to be that the sound is
slapping the back of a guitar. I just tried it a bit and it does sound right.

BTW, do you happen to have a reference to where I can see the photo?

Thanks,

G&E

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Keep in mind, too, that the guitar Elvis slapped on these songs was the
Martin D-28 acoustic with the leather covering. (The covering had some kind
of funky design, along with the words "Elvis Presley").

My point: Yes, the sound is Elvis slapping his guitar, but his hand didn't
actually hit the guitar itself; rather, his hand hit the leather covering.
If that means anything to anyone here...

Greg
--
Our "Webb" site
http://www.hcis.net/users/underwear

<tpark...@my-dejanews.com> wrote in message

TMQ

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
> Interesting. The consensus certainly seems to be that the sound is
> slapping the back of a guitar. I just tried it a bit and it does sound right.
>
> BTW, do you happen to have a reference to where I can see the photo?

Yeah, it's in "The Official Elvis Presley Commemorative Album 1935-1977"

I'll post it ("hounddog.jpg") in alt.binaries.celebrities