Upstairs At Graceland...

Jimbo

Sep 15, 2002, 5:33:50 PM9/15/02
I have always understood,that the 2nd floor of Graceland,has been
left,just the way it was,on the afternoon,that Elvis passed away....

To what extent,is this true ?......Nothing has been touched ?

Does anyone know,how often Lisa & Priscilla go up there?

Jim

Stephen Leacock

Sep 15, 2002, 6:46:19 PM9/15/02
A few of the staff go up there quite often since many articles are
stored up there. I bet ole Nicolas has been up there more then a few
times.
Jason~~

JHNJB

Sep 15, 2002, 9:31:58 PM9/15/02
<<To what extent,is this true ?......Nothing has been touched ?>>

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the big statue tiger that is pictured on Elvis'
bedroom TV is now downstairs on display. Also, the record player that was in
his bedroom is now across the street in the personal belongings museum.
JC

Mark Henderson

Sep 15, 2002, 11:18:35 PM9/15/02
In article <4077-3D8...@storefull-2257.public.lawson.webtv.net>,
JailHou...@webtv.net (Jimbo) wrote:

Of course I don't know for sure but when I visited GL I got the
impression the upstairs had likely been completely cleared out.
Considering the effort required to preserve the downstairs furnishings
(oxygen being pumped in) I don't think they'd be doing that upstairs
when they have no intention of opening it to the public.
It's like GL has been gutted and mummified.

Colin B

Sep 16, 2002, 12:12:12 AM9/16/02
Yeah - my understanding was that all the items
had been removed for safe storage.

The carpets and decor remain as was.

Colin B

................................................................. I got the

AMYinGR...@webtv.net

Sep 16, 2002, 5:40:20 AM9/16/02
no, as an employee at Graceland, I can tell you that the only staff who
goes up there (and thats only once in a while) is the Archives
supervisor, Greg, and his archives assistant or two. They ONLY go up
there to continue on up to the attic, where several items were stored.
They go up there to drag some stuff out of the attic. Elvis`s bedroom IS
still furnished, and alot of stuff still there. The closets are empty
tho, and the clothes of course have been removed. Lisa`s bedroom is
completely empty except for a few empty boxes laying around. Elvis`s
office is nearly empty now, since they moved his desk, couch, and many
things down stairs to the annex for display, which is now that new
addition past the jungle room. Also, there is a certain person who
regularly cleans the upstairs rooms. A guard must also follow this
cleaning person upstairs. (NOT a regular security guard who works
there...someone who has been selected.)

Broadwaychris

Sep 16, 2002, 8:26:39 AM9/16/02
>no, as an employee at Graceland, I can tell you that the only staff who
>goes up there (and thats only once in a while) is the Archives
>supervisor, Greg, and his archives assistant or two. They ONLY go up
>there to continue on up to the attic, where several items were stored.
>They go up there to drag some stuff out of the attic. Elvis`s bedroom IS
>still furnished, and alot of stuff still there. The closets are empty
>tho, and the clothes of course have been removed.

Thanks Amy in GL, like everyone, I've pondered how all that works and what's
what with Elvis' room. It sounds like you've been up there yourself, have you?

Dawn

Sep 16, 2002, 10:07:13 AM9/16/02
Amy,
You mentioned that there are items in the attic. Do you know if
that area of the house is climate controlled? I know that my attic goes over
120 degrees in the heat of summer and that would be disasterous on anything
valuable.
Also, I have heard that EPE has various storarge facilities around
the city, is that true?
Right now I'm ready to kick myself for not picking your brain
about GL when I met you at the Ramada.

Dawn

>Subject: Re: Upstairs At Graceland...
>From: broadw...@aol.com (Broadwaychris)
>Date: 9/16/2002 7:26 AM Central Standard Time

TCB3001

Sep 16, 2002, 11:31:44 AM9/16/02

I spoke to a member of the security at Graceland and he told me that the
ONLY persons who have keys for the upstairs area are THE FAMILY + JACK SODEN
! There are 3 different keys needed to unlock the doors and also a special
alarm system. Also the cleaning team who are cleaning the downstairs rooms
have NO access to the upstairs area. Many items from Graceland are stored in
several store-houses in the city (including 6 cars). A few things from
Elvis' Bedroom are removed and shown downstairs (the big porcelain tiger) or
at Mobile Graceland (the record-player with the last record, Elvis ever
listened to).

TCB

AMYinGR...@webtv.net

Sep 16, 2002, 10:12:47 AM9/16/02
Hi Broadwaychris---No, I haven`t been in Elvis`s bedroom, but I often
talk with those who go in there. Working there, I certainly have gotten
ALOT of `inside information`. And continue to. I have been in the
rooms that the tour does not include. Also, Guess what happened last
March---Are ya ready?? :) lol A fan actually got upstairs into
Elvis`s room! What happened was, a company was at the mansion upstairs
changing all the air-conditioning filters and doing some work up there
with the AC system. Well, they left to go to lunch, and they left the
upstairs door (the hall door at the top of the stairs), and the
invisible security alarm was turned off, and this very BRAVE older lady
snuck up the side steps at the kitchen entrance and walked across the
top landing and on up thru the open hall door, and into Elvis`s office
and bedroom! She was up there for a full 30 minutes!!! She was then
spotted on camera by Debbie Johnson in corporate. At first when Debbie
saw her, she thought that she was a he, and was just one of the workers
that were up there. BUT THEN she looked at the monitor again and this
fan was laying ON Elvis`s bed!!!!!! Then, she was seen walking around
taking pictures! Security was called immediately, but the woman left
the mansion before they arrived to catch her up there. However they DID
catch her outside as she was walking continuing her tour. They caught
her as she was on her way to he Trophy building. She was then taken next
door and was asked questions and was searched, and her film from her
camera was taken from her. Then they let her go. However, we think that
she gave her father OTHER film that she used upstairs, so don't be
surprised if these pictures turn up in a tabloid magazine in the near
future.

~ Amy
TCB

Broadwaychris

Sep 16, 2002, 11:26:44 AM9/16/02
>Guess what happened last
>March---Are ya ready?? :) lol A fan actually got upstairs into
>Elvis`s room! What happened was, a company was at the mansion upstairs
>changing all the air-conditioning filters and doing some work up
there...........

What a great story! Which one of us doesn't have that 'fantasy'?
Laying on Elvis' bed! How funny is that?
Good for her, I would've done it in a microsecond!
Thanks for the excellent story.

Charles Thomas

Sep 16, 2002, 3:55:26 PM9/16/02

Broadwaychris wrote:

> What a great story! Which one of us doesn't have that 'fantasy'?
> Laying on Elvis' bed! How funny is that?

That reminds me of a story from my trip to Graceland.

During Elvis Week this year the Lisa Marie's interior was being displayed
without any protective coverings over the furnishings (usually there is
protective plastic over everything).

We were touring the Jet and this big guy just plops down onto one of the
sofas in the Lisa Marie! He didn't just sit down, but kind of fell
heavily onto the plush couch, like you would at home. I think he must
have noticed my shocked and horrified look and said "Are we not supposed
to sit on these?"

<sarcasm> Yes, please, Graceland would like to encourage every one of the
thousands of people coming through this plane to plop down, have a seat
and make themselves at home.</sarcasm>

It's no wonder people all over the world think Americans have no manners!

CT

Blue Star

Sep 17, 2002, 1:34:46 AM9/17/02
AMYinGR...@webtv.net wrote in message news:<24018-3D8...@storefull-2218.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

Hi Amy,
In Mike Edward's book he mentions Priscilla going up there and taking
a cane
with an ivory handle and emeralds in it that belonged to Elvis and a
pair of Elvis' pajamas. Does Priscilla often go up to Elvis' room when
she's at Graceland and can Priscilla take any items she wants from
Graceland? Do you know what Lisa's feelings would be about something
like that?
Thanks for posting the info on this.
BlueStar

AMYinGR...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2002, 1:49:18 AM9/17/02
TCB301--- The people who have access to the few keys to the upstairs
are: Lisa/Priscilla,(of course....They have their OWN keys) Jack Soden,
Archives manager, and maintenance. Now Jack Soden may or may not remove
access (or key) to someone if he chooses, so in essence, there may be
only 3 keys at G-land. However, we certainly know that Lisa & Priscilla,
always have their own key/access up there, Jack Soden of course always
has a key in his office. Maintenance may have to go to him to get this
key, or maybe not. I just know that Maintenance does have access to the
upstairs. Also, whoever else in corporate has a right to go up there,
(and I know of at least one other person who HAS a right to go up there
who I will not say her/his name on this board, (from corporate....high
position under Jack). Archives manager has key, and the archives person
goes upstairs on a very regular basis, and always has. I used to kid
around with one of the archives dept. employees when I saw him going up
there, I`d say.....``Please take me with you!``lol lol He and she
replied:``Oh, its really no big deal to go up there``. I`d be like:
``Yeah, Right!`` LOL :) they just thought I was silly...... but
actually, they (Archives) really just goes up to the attic usually,
which is a door that is right next to Lisa`s room that leads on up
there. Only on certain occasions have they been to the most ``special``
places. Not ALL security guards you see walking around the Graceland
property have all the knowledge of certain info on the upstairs, etc. I
know of several who aren`t really that interested and they just know a
few basic facts. And, Correct, the people that do the house-cleaning on
the main floor and basement of the mansion, are NOT the same cleaning
person that cleans upstairs. Like I said in my previous post: There is
a certain person who has the job of cleaning upstairs, and they are
accompanied by high security. Finally---there is a storage place
where tons of Elvis`s belongings are kept, (Elvis was indeed a pack rat!
:) lol) including cars, clothes, furniture, gifts, etc. All I can tell
you here is that this place is only a few miles from Graceland. I can
personally e-mail anyone who has a question about anything else.

~ Amy
TCB

AMYinGR...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2002, 3:27:53 AM9/17/02
Your welcome, Broadwaychris! I knew you`d like that story. I`ve been
watching the tabloids for months, to see if this lady is going to sell
her pics to any of these publications. She just happened to be at the
right place at the right time when the invisible security-alarm was
turned off, because of the workers being upstairs earlier. We`re still
wondering just who got into the big trouble for not making sure the
upstairs hallway door was locked before they all left. I know that the
very next morning there was a big mandatory meeting about this incident,
and they told everyone to keep quiet about it. Oh well------ Oh,
almost forgot to tell you that the person that was supposed to be
watching in the foyer, was around the corner and out of her station,
talking to another employee, and this is how the lady was able to sneak
up the stairs. This person got fired.

Broadwaychris

Sep 17, 2002, 8:16:38 AM9/17/02
> Oh,
>almost forgot to tell you that the person that was supposed to be
>watching in the foyer, was around the corner and out of her station,
>talking to another employee, and this is how the lady was able to sneak
>up the stairs. This person got fired.

On one low peak visit, I encountered the same scenario. My friend and I
discussed 'borrowing' things, but sanely opted for photo sessions on the stairs
instead. Among the highlights of a Broadwaychris controlled first floor, we
staggered a nice group of Koreans on the stairs for a lovely group photo:)
Kam-sa-ham-ni-da Missa Blauwaycwis!
Don't mention it!

AMYinGR...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2002, 7:22:47 AM9/17/02
Hi Dawn! I`m sorry I don't know the answer to your question about
whether or not the attic is `climate controlled`., but I will find out
for you either today or tomorrow, and I`ll let you know. Also, about
the storage units: I, along with others, know of only one location, and
its a huge location. However, they certainly may have other storage
places around town, but I have a strong feeling that most everything is
at THIS location, from what I`ve heard. Yes, it was nice talking with
you at the Ramada, and I look forward to talking with you again. Also,
you can e-mail me anytime.....take care

~ Amy
TCB

Tony

Sep 17, 2002, 9:58:23 AM9/17/02
You said you have been in rooms that aren't part of the tour. Tell us
about them.
Have you been in the north wing? I've always wondered what's in there.
What type of work do you do at Graceland?

Molly Quinn

Sep 17, 2002, 4:22:03 PM9/17/02
Do you know if Lisa Marie and Priscilla actually stay at Graceland
when they are in Memphis? I can't imagine that they'd want to sleep
there now.

A.R.

Sep 17, 2002, 7:34:05 PM9/17/02
Hi Amy,

Well there's a fantasy -- lying on his bed. ;)

That's takes some hubris, that's for sure. I witnessed some myself on
Sunday the 18th while up in the Garden at Graceland. There was a
bunch of people that had gone through the house and were near the
gravesite, just admiring all the flowers and chatting. I was near the
fence by the pool. I didn't see the young man at all until I hear the
diving board and looked behind me. A young man had somehow gotten
over the fence without anyone stopping him and had gotten on the board
and dived into the pool. Well, needless to say, the staff was there
immediately and escorted him off the grounds.

The most often hear refrain was "How disrespectful..."

Well, that young man will certainly have a story to tell.

The pool is cool. However, the bed would be a whole 'nother story. :)

A.

^^^^

AMYinGR...@webtv.net

Sep 18, 2002, 6:11:45 AM9/18/02
Until this years Tribute week (the concert), Priscilla hadn`t been to
Memphis since `98. No, they do not stay at Graceland when they are in
Memphis. They do have dinner at Graceland, then go to their hotel.
There was an exception-- last winter Lisa & Nic arrived in Memphis LATE,
and had dinner at Graceland. By the time they were finished, it was so
late that they just slept at Graceland. I think I mentioned that on here
when it happened, but I`m not sure....

~ Amy
TCB

DMagrann

Sep 18, 2002, 1:42:45 PM9/18/02
<< Also, about the storage units: I, along with others, know of only one
location, and its a huge location. However, they certainly may have other
storage places around town, but I have a strong feeling that most everything is
at THIS location, from what I`ve heard. >>

Hi Amy,

I remember one hot August when Mike McGregor
was absolutely furious, saying he'd just come
come from EPE's storage units next to the freeway
toward downtown, near the old Caterpillar location,
and that the temperature inside had to reach
120 degrees. He railed that EPE was spending big
bucks on everything else while the real Elvis
artifacts were deteriorating badly.

The stuff may be in a climinate-controlled environment
now, but how much damage was already done?

GoodLuckCharm77

Sep 18, 2002, 3:23:18 PM9/18/02
>Subject: Re: Upstairs At Graceland...
>From: AMYinGR...@webtv.net
>Date: 9/18/02 10:11 AM !!!First Boot!!!

> it was so
>late that they just slept at Graceland.

Something tells me that was Nic's idea..

:O)

~GLC~

Maggiemay42668

Sep 18, 2002, 5:11:57 PM9/18/02

> it was so
>>late that they just slept at Graceland.
>
>Something tells me that was Nic's idea..
>
>:O)
>
>~GLC~

Something tells me Nic was thinking Something Tells Me I'm Into Something
Good!

Coyote200

Sep 19, 2002, 2:34:17 AM9/19/02
how about the bathroom where elvis died?Has that remained the same or is that
cleared out, too?Does the door remained locked to that even to maintenance?

Stephen Leacock

Sep 19, 2002, 3:50:20 AM9/19/02
I bet Nick Cage has used that can.
Jason~~

Broadwaychris

Sep 19, 2002, 7:03:21 PM9/19/02
>I bet Nick Cage has used that can.
>Jason~~

That's funny!

ebowe...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2017, 6:02:51 PM8/23/17
I would love to go upstairs to Elvis bedroom!! I love him so much!!!

janor...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2018, 12:45:55 PM7/1/18
Your sick you cannot be a true fan what part of upstairs don't you understand is private and personal to elvis even after his passing

Smarter Daily

Sep 2, 2018, 12:49:56 AM9/2/18
Hi Amy,

Are you still on this forum? Is there a way to send you a personal message?
I have a million questions. Also are you familiar with the YouTube channels Spa Guy and Memphis Mafia Kid? Spa Guy is a MAJOR historian and I think you should connect with him also the Memphis Mafia kid is Billy Smith's kid (Elvis' cousin) with a TON of insider info with great stories.

elvi...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2018, 8:41:58 AM9/4/18
I realize that it's been 16 years since this post, but i hope someone can clear up a question for me. It says that this securityperson said there are 6 of Elvis' cars in storage. Well, the only cars we know for sure came out of storage during these years are the old 1953 Chevrolet Panel Truck and the 1974 International Harvester Scout II Traveltop 4×4(Guards Car). So what other cars are in there, we're missing 4?

kiehl...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2018, 5:16:47 PM9/10/18
Cage did sit on that toilet, though, according to this page. https://fricking-hell.livejournal.com/111827.html

“His secret visit took place during the week of the 25th Anniversary of Elvis' death, at which time it is said he sat on the King's "throne", assumed the prone posture in which Elvis died, laid on the singer's bed and tried on a leather jacket.”

dave...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2018, 6:01:22 PM12/18/18
Daevlvis

kuehne...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2020, 10:12:14 PM6/15/20
Any. Please prove you Worked at Graceland.
Message has been deleted