J.D Sumners Funeral Services?

AlwysElvis

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
If anyone knows any info as to who attended J.D's funeral, who sang at it, who
gave a possible eulogy, please let us know for those who could not attend.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you
TCB
Randy

Morris S Levy

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
AlwysElvis (alwys...@aol.com) wrote:
: If anyone knows any info as to who attended J.D's funeral, who sang at it, who

I attended J.D.'s funeral yesterday. In the audience I recognized Joe
Guercio, Glen Hardin, Charlie Hodge, country singer Charlie Walker, and
former Stamp Terry Blackwood. There were several hundred people in
attendance. Before the ceremony began, the coffin was open and although I
could see J.D.'s face, I did not approach the bier. The service began
with a recording of a recent composition of J.D.'s, "God Still Lives in
This Ole House." The Rev. L.H. Hardwick then spoke and John Mathews, a
boyhood friend of J.D.'s, led the congregation in the 23rd Psalm. Hovie
Lister, Jake Hess, and James Blackwood spoke about the fun times they had
with J.D. as members of the Masters V and with Bill Baize they sang "Peace
in the Valley." George Richey spoke of how J.D. comforted him after
George's wife, Tammy Wynette, passed away. George Younce, bass singer for
the Cathedral Quartet, told several funny stories of how J.D. would
humorously pick on him. The Cathedrals then sang two songs. Bill Gaither
spoke about working with J.D. on the Gaither Homecoming videos and then
sang "The Star Spangled Banner" with his Gaither Vocal Band. (J.D. was
impressed by their arrangement of the song.) Gospel music executive Bob
Whitaker and former Stamps pianist and current MCA Nashville president
Tony Brown said a few words. Then Donnie Sumner spoke beautifully about
his uncle and about his own fight against drug abuse; I don't think there
was a dry eye in the house. He sang a beautiful song comparing Jesus to a
ship's captain. It wasn't "The Lighthouse" which the Stamps did in _Elvis
on Tour_; the title may have been "Ship Ahoy." Contemporary gospel singer
Mark Lowry told some funny stories about his six-year friendship with J.D.
Then the Stamps sang three songs, including "I Can Feel the Touch of His
Hand," my favorite J.D. composition. I was in tears. The Stamps were Ed
Enoch, Ed Hill, and Rick Strickland (the youngest member of the group) and
no one couldn't have noticed that they sang the old arrangements without a
bass singer. The ceremony was supposed to end with a videotape of one of
J.D. recitations, "The Farmer and the Lord," but gospel pianist Eva Mae
Lefevre got up and unfortunately spoke rather incoherently about her own
life. After fifteen minutes, most of the congregation left while she was
speaking.

I was very glad that I had attended. (I live fifty miles north of
Nashville.) J.D. Sumner has been a part of my life for almost twenty
years and as I wrote in a previous posting, I was fortunate to have met
him five years ago. I didn't realize how much I needed to say goodbye to
the man until I was there at the celebration of his life.

I believe it was Ed Enoch who said the last song J.D. recorded was "If I
Can Help Somebody." The last lines J.D. sang represented the man's
outlook on life:

"If I can help somebody as I pass along
Then my living shall not be in vain."

Morris Levy

Allen Damron

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98

Hi ELVIS Friends,
This is a great tribute to a great man wish I could have been there.
I wish someone would have video or cassette taped it I'd lve a copy.
New email address ada...@ls.net (LSNET)
Keeping the Faith with ELVIS,Allen

dcdavyc...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2015, 3:00:46 PM1/14/15
On Thursday, November 19, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, AlwysElvis wrote:
> If anyone knows any info as to who attended J.D's funeral, who sang at it, who
> gave a possible eulogy, please let us know for those who could not attend.
> Any information would be appreciated.
> Thank you
> TCB
> Randy

Was it really necessary to mention Eva Mae
Lefevre??What a disservice to the service.

erosc...@gmail.com

May 12, 2020, 2:14:19 AM5/12/20
After all these years without our precious J.D., I'd love an audio copy of his funeral service, (edited, of course).
My friends & I chose not to attend at J.D.'s request. He said we "girls" would "bawl too much & have mascara running down our faces," so to honor his request, we stayed home!
What an incredible life he led, & what a Giant of a man he was! We miss him so much!!