A woman's place...

David Marshall

Feb 27, 2006, 6:40:59 PM2/27/06

"Women's choices on work and home lives will be supported"

Condescending bastards!

Dave
--
Email: da...@durge.org MSN Messenger: da...@durge.org

David Waterson

Feb 28, 2006, 5:18:34 AM2/28/06
David Marshall <da...@fof.durge.org> wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4756410.stm
> "Women's choices on work and home lives will be supported"
> Condescending bastards!
> Dave

Er, except that's the BBC's paraphrasing. The actual text is at:

"3. The quality of life matters, as well as the quantity of money. We will
enhance our environment by seeking a long-term cross-party consensus on
sustainable development and climate change - instead of short-term thinking
and surrender to vested interests. We will support the choices that women
make about their work and home lives, not impose choices on them."

Which is subtly different.

-DW.

David Marshall

Feb 28, 2006, 5:23:37 AM2/28/06
In article <du181q$1cb$1...@heisenberg.grid-zero.net>,

David Waterson <davidw...@durge.org.invalid> wrote:
>We will support the choices that women
>make about their work and home lives, not impose choices on them."
>
>Which is subtly different.

Um, no it's not. Why only women? I repeat, condescending bastards.

Jeremy James

Feb 28, 2006, 6:59:06 AM2/28/06
On a random point, it's because of all this stuff that indicates it is
now the norm to have both people in the couple working, that means it is
practically impossible to buy a house on your own anymore. That, and the
raising of the amount greedy mortgage lenders are happy to lend. Grumble
grumble.

-jermy

David Marshall

Feb 28, 2006, 8:02:39 AM2/28/06
In article <du1duc$5bs$1...@heisenberg.grid-zero.net>,

Jeremy James <ne...@jermy.net> wrote:
>That, and the raising of the amount greedy mortgage lenders are happy to
>lend.

No, lenders are willing to lend more because people can afford to repay more
- in part due to low interest rates, in part due to wage inflation
continuing to be double price inflation.

If your lender is still using an income multiplier of 2-3 times income, you
should wonder what century they're operating in.

stu...@durge.org

Feb 28, 2006, 7:11:52 PM2/28/06
David Marshall <da...@fof.durge.org> wrote:
> If your lender is still using an income multiplier of 2-3 times income, you
> should wonder what century they're operating in.

If it helps, Abbey's standard multiplier is 4.2 for mid-level salaries. I'm
sure that other mortgage providers will have similar ones.

Stuart.

David Marshall

Feb 28, 2006, 8:04:03 PM2/28/06
In article <du2os8$uic$1...@heisenberg.grid-zero.net>, <stu...@durge.org> wrote:
>> If your lender is still using an income multiplier of 2-3 times income, you
>> should wonder what century they're operating in.
>If it helps, Abbey's standard multiplier is 4.2 for mid-level salaries. I'm
>sure that other mortgage providers will have similar ones.

Well, Cooperative will lend 3.25 times income, plus 2 times the income of
the second applicant (if any). Which will buy you a used chip wrapper in
London...

And Cooperative aren't alone in having rather out-of-step expectations.