Bri Son

Timothy Lee

Jul 4, 2006, 7:25:06 AM7/4/06
My other spies inform me that he was quite witty at the congregation and
that it was in the cathedral rather than the castle. Is this because
the extra colleges are increasing the numbers graduating each year? When
did the changeover occur?

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom

Chris Morris

Jul 4, 2006, 8:00:09 AM7/4/06
Timothy Lee <m...@privacy.net> writes:
] My other spies inform me that he was quite witty at the

] congregation and that it was in the cathedral rather than the
] castle. Is this because the extra colleges are increasing the
] numbers graduating each year? When did the changeover occur?

The changeover was for the 2003 graduation, I think (so, you need
some faster spies...), and was to cope with both the increased
numbers in Durham, and the migration of the QC colleges graduation
ceremonies to Durham.

He gave a fairly good speech, though much more about praising the
University and the graduates [1] and much less about telling funny
stories, compared to Sir Peter. It's a different style, as you'd
expect.

[1] And very sidewaysly asking for donations to the University,
which I suppose is his job.

--
Chris
"(although care should be taken to keep policy and anti-policy

Neil Shaw

Jul 4, 2006, 8:08:39 AM7/4/06
Chris Morris wrote:
> Timothy Lee <m...@privacy.net> writes:
> ] My other spies inform me that he was quite witty at the
> ] congregation and that it was in the cathedral rather than the
> ] castle. Is this because the extra colleges are increasing the
> ] numbers graduating each year? When did the changeover occur?
>
> The changeover was for the 2003 graduation, I think

I was a 2002 graduate and I was in the Cathedral. I seem to recall that
being the first year it was done there, BICBW.

Richard

Jul 4, 2006, 11:09:59 AM7/4/06
Timothy Lee wrote:
> My other spies inform me that he was quite witty at the congregation and
> that it was in the cathedral rather than the castle. Is this because
> the extra colleges are increasing the numbers graduating each year? When
> did the changeover occur?

I graduated in the final ceremony on friday and he couldn't make it to
that one, the only one he missed. I got to shake the VC's hand instead.
Don't know why I bothered going really :-). I did see his speach last
year and was quite amused by it. I have heard from my spies that his
after dinner speaches at other university events have frequently gone
down like a lead brick though.

--
Richard Bowden

Timothy Lee

Jul 4, 2006, 11:45:06 AM7/4/06
In message <e8e0cd$gpk$1...@heffalump.dur.ac.uk>, Richard
<r.e.b...@durham.ac.uk> writes

We had Ooost Enoff for college dinner, I really can't remember what
speech he gave then, the college had gone all out to impress with 85
course and IIRC a bottle of red, a bottle of white and a bottle of port
per four (possibly three) people, so we were all deejayed up and stuffed
full of food and drink by the time it came to him being witty at us. I
remember thinking he looked rather yellow.