WATCH OUT FOR BIRD 'FLU in ducks

Michael

Jul 27, 2005, 6:38:03 PM7/27/05
There is unanimous opinion amongst the international experts that the
threat of a human world epidemic is real and imminent as a result of
three changes in the "Bird Flu" virus over the past 8 years:

1. Increasing geographic spread of outbreaks
2. Establishment of the virus in both domestic and wild bird
populations
3. Widening host range besides birs - pigs, cats, ferrets, humans

These trends are in themselves foreboding enough, especially when the
virulence of this avian influenza virus strain for humans appears to be
so far undiminished at 50-70%.

Experts I have spoken to do not place any faith in current public
health (slaughter and movement controls) measures to control the H5N1
virus. Vaccination of the human population offered some hope, though
limited because of the restricted availability of vaccine stocks.

Current research programs into the Bird 'flu problem are working on
improved vaccine development. A research project was shown which is
combining H5N1 with human influenza strains under laboratory conditions
in order to predict the form and behavior that a recombination virus
(potentially resulting from dual infection of a
person or pig with a common human and an avian influenza strain) might
take.

More info about H5N1 HPAI in poultry, humans and swine at:
http://www.pighealth.com/influenza2.htm

Our best hope seems to be that in the process of adapting better to
humans, the Bird 'Flu virus will lose some of its virulence and
mortality and serious illness will not be too widespread.

We can also take note of various herbal remedies that can be helpful
when humans become infected with influenza, see:

Take care!
Mike