2012 Season

don...@insightbb.com

Aug 18, 2012, 12:02:49 AM8/18/12
So, DCI's had a modest increase in attendance for 2012. Congratulations!

I am a drum corps enthusiast and I have followed DCI throughout its 40 year history. I love all of the corps and I have many favorites. I have a strong admiration for: (1) talented musicians; (2) artistic expression and entertainment value; and (3) elevating the art-form to a new level.

Sadly, the 40th anniversary season and the level or caliper of judging has disappointed me the most. Many of my DCI friends are disillusioned and we are trying to make sense of a bewildering judging process. What is becoming of drum corps? This year, the fans were given a heavy dose of artistic expression at the expense of entertainment value.

As we all know, the fans are major contributors and supporters of DCI. In the coming years, if DCI chooses to reward artistic expression over entrainment value, then many supporters will make every effort to spend their entertainment dollars elsewhere.