YAY!!!

Richard Carl Silk

Feb 19, 2024, 5:35:38 PMFeb 19
testing... DONE! (From XP / Outlook Express!)

Richard Carl Silk

Feb 19, 2024, 5:46:06 PMFeb 19
OK, this applies for users of Windows XP and Outlook Express. If you use
any *other* newsreader program (or Operating System / Version) your steps
*may well* differ somewhat, if not extensively.

What did NOT work was trying to simply connect *to* the news server. Ran
into *all sorts* of headaches with an *old configuration* using my parents'
bellsouth email address. Totally unnecessary.

NEXT: After noticing that the news server was actually a website (a valid
URL, so to speak) I went to it (news.eternal-september.org) and lo & behold,
they had a "registration" form *right there on the front.* So I used my
juno email address (does GREAT at trapping spam!) and registered. They sent
an email with the configuration info necessary, of note, a UserID, password,
and
Server name: news.eternal-september.org
Port : 119

And *Presto!* I was up and running! (Well, I had to download the
newsgroups, then subscribe to alt.dreams, but hey, it was a *snap* after
registering!!)

"Richard Carl Silk" <snip> wrote in message