[Worldbuilders/Open] Starting ideas

The Scythe

Feb 24, 2018, 5:13:19 PM2/24/18
Ok, so in A Frozen Vesper we've dealt with the mythology of the world some. I'd like to flesh that out some more.

I also would like to do an idea I've had as a role playing campaign idea for ages. The idea is that you run a sequence of rpgs that span over the ages of a civilization, and once one Group of characters get powerful and retire, their exploits become the history of the world, and then you move on to the next age of the world and start again.

Eventually the first set of characters become the historical gods and goddesses of mythology of the world.

Maybe I've got two ideas mixed together here. That's ok.

In this thread I'll focus on the one idea.

I want to start a story in basically hunter-gatherer age. The stories will deal with survival and inter tribal problems and competing for resources and dealing with wild animal predators.

Both the magic and technology would be rudimentary , basically both would need to be built up from nothing.

Once the first story is over the story would jump ahead to the next juncture in history. Kind of a magic and technology version of the game Civilization.

Each of the characters would have something that would connect the generations. It could be reincarnation. It could be family honor like in Japan. It could be a simple ccessful family that becomes a dynasty. Or some kind of connection that gives continuity that I haven't thought of.

But there should be some kind of story arc for each wetter that is connecting each generation of their characters.

This story would not be on a schedule like Vesper has been. Maybe someday, but first I want to develop the idea a lot more. It's just a concept so far. Brainstorming mode for now.

So my next question for me and whoever reads this is: what themes do you want to explore in this context? What types of connections could be picked to connect the generations?

-Troshen

Joe Butler

Feb 24, 2018, 11:47:46 PM2/24/18
These are all great ideas. I've always liked the idea of a multigenerational saga. Sort of how in the Dragonlance novels the original heroes passed the torch to the children and grandchildren. I'd love to mix in some genealogy somewhere. That's become my obsession the past few years so it would be cool to write a character who researched and discovered some cool facts about his 5th great grandfather and used it to solve a quest of his own.

-Joe

The Scythe

Feb 24, 2018, 11:51:04 PM2/24/18
Heh. *some kind of story arc for each writer. Not wetter......

grin

The Scythe

Feb 24, 2018, 11:53:38 PM2/24/18
Want to pick a theme for the continuity between your characters generations?

The Scythe

Feb 24, 2018, 11:55:43 PM2/24/18
Ahhh, ok, geneology. Cool!

What kind of things would you have the hunter-gatherer generation do that the ancestor could then dig up?

The Scythe

Feb 24, 2018, 11:56:21 PM2/24/18
I agree, that was really cook that they passed things down in Dragonlance!

Jace Draccus

Feb 25, 2018, 12:00:43 AM2/25/18
Check out Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn books for an example. The first trilogy is epic fantasy, then the second series is generations later and the world has become more Wild West level, with things like cars and electricity just coming in. All of the main characters from the first books are now figures of legends, a couple are the basis for religions, and the odd slang one character spoke is the Royal Dialect or some such.

There's supposed to be another series set even further down the line. Sanderson appatently had it in mind as the sequel to the first books, then wrote an interim story that blossomed into what is now the second set...

Joe Butler

Feb 25, 2018, 12:01:10 AM2/25/18
Maybe they could discover or create some type of magic or create a magical artifact that then is lost for a long time and the one of their descendants reads a clue about its existence or location and sets off to recover it and use it to face down the current generation's crisis.

Troshen

Feb 25, 2018, 10:34:33 AM2/25/18
There's someone who always bugs me to try the Mistborn series actually! Time to check it out! Thanks for mentioning that, Jace!

The idea of an artifact being passed down and used to solve a crisis is a great idea, Joe!

-Troshen

brcar...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2018, 9:42:39 AM3/2/18
Got Mistborn. Going to check it out.