Mulan Trivia [OT]

Steve Tyler

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

Well, it's not completely OT, considering that we do have the parade now : )

MULAN TRIVIA - (ET) indicates info is from Ella Taylor's review in LA Weekly

Mulan is based on an ancient folk tale so popular in China that its heroine has
a grave site (ET)

Roy Disney dreamed up the character of Mushu (ET)

MU SHU CHICKEN is a "Chinese burrito" made with tangy plum sauce. (but I always
break it open and eat it with chopsticks like chow mein)

The actress who voiced Mulan, Ming-Na Wen, also played Wesley Snipes' bitter
wife in (the dreadful) "One Night Stand" (ET)

The review in LA WEEKLY was dubbed "Disney's Asian Minor"

Anybody else have more trivia that can be shared? If not, kindly take your,
loved ones, by the hand and go on to the next post...

--
Ciao,

Steve (c :
--
Steve Tyler - av...@lafn.org
TDC Sojourner of the Living Desert and Nature's Wonderland

"The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle
But the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

"Oh my gawd, they've killed Kenny." "You bast**ds!"

LuvDisney

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

While speaking with a very Chinese woman (arranged marriges and all,
VERY nice lady), during a recent visit to a local bookstore, we were
discussing Mulan. She told me that in China when a girl is outgoing (for
lack of a better word) like wanting to go into the law practice, she is
called "A Mulan". It is a very popular expression there and I found it
very interesting. She also said that in the original Mulan was Very
intelligent and a Very good fighter, she supposed that Disney tried to
make her more human and likeable.

~~LuvDisney~~

Iseultnel

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

>While speaking with a very Chinese woman (arranged marriges and all,
>VERY nice lady),

LOL, is that like being "a little bit pregnant"? (And, yes, I understand what
you mean<G>)
Teri Pope
Diamond Horse Ranch--Rio Linda, CA
"Its what you learn after you know it all that counts." -Jimmy Williams

Brian Linhart

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Well I don't know if you know of a prominent chinese author Maxine Hong
Kingston. I'm good friends with her nephew and heres what he told me
when i asked him about Mulan.
For one he told me his aunt is furious, partially becuase they used a
chinese fairy tale. However she is more furious for another more apt
reason. Many years ago she wrote a expanded version of the Mulan fairy
tale, much like the disney version is know, and she complains on getting
no credit for her work as an author. As if it isc true about her claim,
i do not know. Just thought you might like to know.

Brian Linhart
"Look I made you Breakfast.... and it's HAPPY to see you =)"-Mushu
--
Brian Linhart
Remove the 123 to reply

"if you want to feel rich, just count all the
things that money cant buy"

-Anonymous

Beth Eloheimo

Jul 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/5/98

JohnL44383 wrote in message
<199807051917...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...
>more trivia, Ming Na Wen also starred in the "Joy Luck Club" and on NBCs
>ill-fated sitcom "The Single Guy"

Wasn't she also in the first season of ER?

Beth

Steve!

Jul 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/5/98

johnl...@aol.com (JohnL44383) wrote:
>more trivia, Ming Na Wen also starred in the "Joy Luck Club" and on NBCs
>ill-fated sitcom "The Single Guy"

And I might add she's the only reason I watched that stinker of a show :)

Steve!

==
Why must I be like that, why must I chase the cat?

Now celebrating over 2000 visitors worldwide! Steve's walking distance hotel guide:
http://members.aol.com/wdhotels/

Disneyland Paris or bust!

JohnL44383

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

I'm not positive about ER, since I'm not a regular viewer, but when you said
that it sounded familiar. You may be right. Can anyone confirm?

john

CYUMickey

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

>I'm not positive about ER, since I'm not a regular viewer, but when you said
>that it sounded familiar. You may be right. Can anyone confirm?

Yep, she was on ER.