LPDC: LEONARD PELTIER STATEMENT

1 view

Senior Staff

Oct 12, 2001, 11:34:34 AM10/12/01
FROM LP...@IDIR.NET

STATEMENT OF LEONARD PELTIER
OCTOBER 12

Brothers, Sisters, Friends, and Supporters,

Today marks 509 years since Columbus arrived on the shores of Turtle
Island, where he first staked claim to the cherished lands of our ancestors.
Although Columbus is long dead, the legacy of injustice that he began
continues. Whether it be relocation of the Dine at Big Mountain, the
persecution of Indigenous Peoples throughout Latin America, the fishing
struggles in Canada, or the dumping of toxic waste on reservations, the
dehumanization of Indigenous Peoples remains pervasive throughout the
Americas. As we see in the spirits of the grandmothers of Big Mountain, the
Mi'Kmaqs of Burnt Church, or the Zapatistas of Chiapas, Indigenous
resistance also remains alive. It is in this spirit of resistance that I am
inspired to continue fighting for my own freedom after 25 years of unjust
imprisonment.

I want to thank you all for your concern and continued support. I know
that these are very difficult and unpredictable times for us all. Although
the LPDC has expressed condolences and sympathy on my behalf, I would like a
chance to personally say how sorry I am to any of you who lost loved ones on
September 11. Please know that I have been praying for you and for peace
ever since.

Despite the difficult times we are faced with, and despite this year's
clemency defeat, I am feeling blessed. I have to admit that I feared being
forgotten after I did not receive clemency. But instead of finding myself
alone, I have been surrounded by more compassionate and talented people than
ever before - and they have all expressed their determination to continue
the struggle for my release. People who I greatly respect like Dr. Michael
Yellow Bird, Nilak Butler, Thom White Wolf Fassett, Debra Peebles and Debra
White Plume, to name only a small few, have joined the LPDC. I want to
thank Jennifer Harbury, Pat Benabe, Gina Chiala, Jean Day, and Sylvain
Duez-Alesandrini for bringing our new team together and sticking with me. I
also want to thank all of you - I received hundreds of birthday cards last
month and my spirits were greatly lifted knowing that you are still with us.
Without you, I could have no hope.

I am also very encouraged by the new strategies the LPDC plans to pursue on
my behalf. We have three new, very important cases to file and the lawyers
in charge of them are very dedicated and talented. But I must say that
without your active participation, these cases will mean very little.
Public pressure is the key to fairness and justice.

In closing, I would like to wish you all a happy "Indigenous Day" and
encourage you to continue advocating for the rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Although prison life becomes more and more difficult with age, my spirit
remains unbroken, and I still dream of rejoining my people in freedom and
continuing our work for human rights and justice.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse,
Leonard Peltier

Until Freedom Is Won!
The New Peltier Justice Campaign

Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
PO Box 583
Lawrence, KS 66044
785-842-5774
www.freepeltier.org

To subscribe, send a blank message to
lpd...@mail-list.com

<<<<=-=-= Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit) =-=-=>>>>
The preceding message has been
distributed courtesy of Native News Online.
A Barefoot Connection
http://nativenewsonline.org
CERTAIN COUNCIL
http://www.certain-natl.org/
NAHI Board
http://ndnrights.org/nahi/
"You might as well ask why we go on breathing. If we stop breathing we
will die, if we stop fighting our enemies the world will die." Victor
Lazlo from Casablanca
<<<<=-=-=FREE LEONARD PELTIER!!!=-=->>>>