Re: Racist off-campus UC Berkeley student housing bans white people from common areas

BLM In KKKalifornia

Aug 20, 2022, 1:30:03 AM8/20/22
In article <t2pbed$3pht9$8...@news.freedyn.de>
<governo...@gmail.com> wrote:

An off-campus housing co-op for University of California,
Berkeley students bans white people from entering common spaces
to “avoid white violence” — sparking criticism that the policy
inflames racial tensions.

The five-story, 30-room “Person of Color Theme House” near the
school requires students to declare their race when signing in
and to announce when they’re bringing white guests in to the
building, according to house rules leaked on Reddit.com.

“Many POC moved here to be able to avoid white violence and
presence, so respect their decision of avoidance if you bring
white guests,” the rules declare. “White guests are not allowed
in common spaces.”

The building, which houses up to 56 students a few blocks from
the university, also urges students to avoid bringing family
members that “express bigotry,” according to the College Fix.

“Queer, Black, and Indigenous members should not have to avoid
common spaces because of homophobic or racist parents/family
members,” the rules state.

The building was set up by the Berkeley Student Cooperative to
bring affordable “housing to low-income, first generation,
immigrant and marginalized students of color” in the Bay Area.

But some of the rules sparked outrage, with students saying
they’re too aggressive and defy the spirit of inclusion.

One mixed-race student, who claimed to have lived at the house,
said that their “presence as a light skinned person was not
received well” and that they were called slurs.

‘[I] was not allowed to let my dad enter the house because he’s
white,” the student wrote on Reddit.

Another former member wrote a Medium article saying the house
had earned a reputation for its aggressive “call-out culture”
and “lack of intersectionality.”

Adam Ratliff, Assistant Director of Media Relations and Critical
Communications, told The Post the “co-op housing is not run by
the university” and that it’s not the school’s role to comment.

“To be clear, it is not campus operated. This property is
operated by a private landlord, and it is not the role of the
campus to comment on what private landlords are ‘allowed’ to
do,” he said.

He said the university’s housing programs “have no such
policies like the one alleged in the Reddit image” and “do not
discriminate on the basis of race, consistent with UC and campus
policy.”

Comments:

Laroelle
2 hours ago

I'm just gonna leave this here:

The federal Fair Housing Acts apply to all aspects of the
landlord-tenant relationship. A landlord may not:
advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or
preference based on race, religion, or any other protected
category
falsely deny that a rental unit is available
set more restrictive standards for selecting tenants or refuse
to rent to members of certain groups
before or during the tenancy, set different terms, conditions,
or privileges for rental of a dwelling unit, such as requiring
larger deposits of some tenants or adopting an inconsistent
policy of responding to late rent payments
terminate a tenancy for a discriminatory reason.
Federal antidiscrimination laws are admininistered by the
Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and you can
file a fair housing complaint there. If you want to read the
text of federal discrimination law, see 42 United States Code
Sections 3601-3619 and 3631. Find federal laws by going to the
Library of Congress's legal research site.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/19/off-campus-uc-berkeley-housing-
bans-white-people-from-common-areas/

Rudy Canoza

Aug 20, 2022, 12:17:31 PM8/20/22
On 8/19/2022 10:29 PM, BLM In KKKalifornia wrote:
> In article <t2pbed$3pht9$8...@news.freedyn.de>
> <governo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> An off-campus housing co-op for University of California,
> Berkeley students bans white people from entering common spaces
> to “avoid white violence” — sparking criticism that the policy
> inflames racial tensions.
>
> The five-story, 30-room “Person of Color Theme House” near the
> school requires students to declare their race when signing in
> and to announce when they’re bringing white guests in to the
> building, according to house rules leaked on Reddit.com.

The entire story is a lie. The only places you see it are right-wingnut lie
sites, and they're all passing around — plagiarizing — the same story, verbatim.

It's a lie.

RSC109

Aug 20, 2022, 12:58:35 PM8/20/22

bob user

Aug 20, 2022, 1:38:13 PM8/20/22
On 20 Aug 2022, Rudy Canoza <notg...@gmail.com> posted some
"Obama: ‘I’m the first Kenyan-American to be president’"

<https://www.cnn.com/2015/07/26/politics/obama-speech-kenya>

<https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/white-people-banned-from-off-campus-uc-
berkeley-student-housing-common-areas/ar-AA10SAWx?li=BBnb7Kz>

<https://www.reddit.com/r/berkeley/comments/wi4tib/rules_from_one_of_our_c
oops/>

RSC109

Aug 21, 2022, 1:07:13 PM8/21/22
>>On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 09:17:28 -0700, Rudy Canoza <notg...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

[midget-crickets.wav] (© 2022 All Rights Reserved)

Well, dwarf?