Majority of Academics Support Discriminating Against Conservatives, Study Shows

Ubiquitous

Mar 10, 2021, 6:37:39 PM3/10/21
One in three conservative academics has been threatened with
disciplinary action for expressing their beliefs, according to a new
study that quantifies academia's liberal bias.

Research from the Center for the Study of Partnership and Ideology
released Monday shows that conservative professors and graduate
students are "guaranteed" to face discrimination in academia.
University of London politics professor Eric Kaufmann conducted the
study, which he says is the first to focus on how academic
authoritarianism threatens conservatives on campus.

Kaufmann analyzed eight surveys of graduate-level professors and
doctoral students, the majority of whom said they would not oppose
discriminating against their right-leaning peers in some form. Ten
percent of academics support outright cancelling or firing conservative
professors who express their views.

The study adds a new dimension to recent stories of harassment and
intimidation of conservative voices in academia. Conservatives have
long been a minority in American universities, but only recently has
so-called cancel culture led to a rise in what Kaufmann calls the
"chilling" effect of self-censorship.

"The discriminatory impact is huge," Kaufmann told the Washington Free
Beacon.

Even without "punishment mechanisms," widespread opposition to
conservative views leads to "powerful conformist pressures that make
people keep their mouths shut."

Those pressures are clearly effective. Seventy percent of conservative
academics reported that their department created a hostile environment
for conservative ideas, according to the study. Nine in 10 Trump-
supporting academics reported that they would not feel comfortable
expressing their views to a colleague. And more than half of
conservative academics surveyed admitted to self-censoring their
research and teaching.

Kaufmann told the Free Beacon that the trend is likely to get worse.
Twenty percent of academics under 30 support "dismissing" peers deemed
controversial, Kaufmann said. Thirty percent of doctoral students say
they would discriminate against grant bids from right-leaning
researchers or decline to promote a conservative peer.

Such discrimination is not limited to universities, Kaufmann observed.
"It's become quite pervasive across the U.S., Britain, and Canada.
There is now a certain level of discrimination on the basis of ideology
and politics."

--
Trump won.

Siri Cruise

Mar 10, 2021, 7:40:20 PM3/10/21
In article <F4edned-542hxdT9...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> Kaufmann analyzed eight surveys of graduate-level professors and
> doctoral students, the majority of whom said they would not oppose
> discriminating against their right-leaning peers in some form

Universities do have a tradition of discriminating against
stupidity. That's the stupid need protected domains like the
Hoover Institute.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

NoBody

Mar 12, 2021, 7:00:04 AM3/12/21
On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 16:40:15 -0800, Siri Cruise <chine...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>In article <F4edned-542hxdT9...@giganews.com>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> Kaufmann analyzed eight surveys of graduate-level professors and
>> doctoral students, the majority of whom said they would not oppose
>> discriminating against their right-leaning peers in some form
>
>Universities do have a tradition of discriminating against
>stupidity. That's the stupid need protected domains like the
>Hoover Institute.

You mean like the stupidity of being in favor of discrimination based
on political beliefs?

Ubiquitous

Mar 12, 2021, 9:54:24 AM3/12/21
chine...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> Kaufmann analyzed eight surveys of graduate-level professors and
>> doctoral students, the majority of whom said they would not oppose
>> discriminating against their right-leaning peers in some form
>
>Universities do have a tradition of discriminating against
>stupidity. That's the stupid need protected domains like the
>Hoover Institute.

Irony noted.

Also, you might want to refresh your selective memory on how the 1st
amendment and freedom of speech work.

--
Trump won.

Ubiquitous

Mar 12, 2021, 9:55:43 AM3/12/21
NoB...@nowhere.com wrote:
> Siri Cruise <chine...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> Kaufmann analyzed eight surveys of graduate-level professors and
>>> doctoral students, the majority of whom said they would not oppose
>>> discriminating against their right-leaning peers in some form
>>
>>Universities do have a tradition of discriminating against
>>stupidity. That's the stupid need protected domains like the
>>Hoover Institute.
>
>You mean like the stupidity of being in favor of discrimination based
>on political beliefs?

Isn't it funny how leftists, when unable to debate an issue, seek to repress
it and malign it?

--
Trump won.

Siri Cruise