Johns Hopkins dean apologizes to staff after DEI officer sent woke hit list email telling them that anyone white, male or Christian is 'privileged' - but she gets to keep her job

Leroy N. Soetoro

Jan 16, 2024, 3:05:06 PMJan 16
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/johns-hopkins-dean-apologizes-to-staff-
after-dei-officer-sent-woke-hit-list-email-telling-them-that-anyone-white-
male-or-christian-is-privileged-but-she-gets-to-keep-her-job/ar-AA1mXJI2

The letter, written by Chief Diversity Officer Sherita Hill Golden, was
part of the 'monthly diversity digest'. She apologized for the words
Now, the dean of the medical faculty has said he 'repudiates this
language'
Johns Hopkins' medical faculty dean has apologized to staff after a
diversity, equity, and inclusion officer sent a woke hit list email
labeling all white people, Christians, men and English-speakers as
'privileged'.

The letter, first posted on Twitter by End Wokeness, was written by Chief
Diversity Officer Sherita Hill Golden, and was part of the 'monthly
diversity digest'.

It caused commotion and outrage online - forcing the institution to
apologize.

Dr Golden was allowed to keep her job, despite cries for her to be sacked.
Now, the dean and president of the medical faculty said that they
'repudiated' her language.

https://img-s-msn-
com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1mXJHG.img?w=634&h=692&m=6

The letter was sent to staff by Dr. Sherita Hill Golden for the 'monthly
diversity digest'
© Provided by Daily Mail
Theodore L. DeWeese, the Dead of the Medical Faculty, and Kevin W. Sowers,
the President of Johns Hopkins Health System, wrote: 'Every month, the
Johns Hopkins Medicine Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Health Equity
distributes a newsletter from JHM's chief diversity officer, Dr. Sherita
Golden.

'Regrettably, the January edition of this newsletter, which was
distributed to all Johns Hopkins Medicine employees yesterday, included a
definition of privilege that runs counter to the values of our
institution, and our mission and commitment to serve everyone equally.

'Dr Golden heard the feedback from our community, sincerely apologized,
and retracted the definition. We fully support and appreciate her decision
to do so, and as leaders of Johns Hopkins Medicine, we too repudiate this
language.'

In the initial email sent out, Dr. Golden explains that 'privilege' is the
'diversity word of the month'.

To explain who the phrase applies to, she offered a list. It reads:
'Privilege is characteristically invisible to people who have it.

'White people, able-bodied people, heterosexuals, cisgender people, males
Christians, middle or owning class people, middle-aged people and English-
speaking people,' all fit the bill, according to Golden.

'People in dominant groups often believe they have earned the privileges
they enjoy or that everyone could have access to these privileges if only
they worked to earn them.

'In fact, privileges are unearned and are granted to people in the
dominant groups whether they want those privileges or not, and regardless
of their stated intent.'

Among those to condemn the remarks was Elon Musk, who tweeted: 'This must
end!'

Donald Trump Jr. said: 'The rot and racism in higher education goes so
much further Harvard, MIT, and Penn (my alma mater) it has taken over
virtually every institution and needs to end now.'

https://img-s-msn-
com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1mXGZx.img?w=634&h=916&m=6

After the post went viral on Twitter, Golden issued an apology to staff.

'The newsletter included a definition of the word privilege which, upon
reflection, I deeply regret. The intent of the newsletter is to inform and
support an inclusive community at Hopkins, but the language of this
definition clearly did not meet that goal.

'In fact, because it was overly simplistic and poorly worded, it had the
opposite effect.'

'I retract and disavow the definition I shared and I am sorry.'

In a statement to DailyMail.com, a Johns Hopkins Medicine spokesperson
said: 'The January edition of the monthly newsletter from the Johns
Hopkins Medicine Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Health Equity used
language that contradicts the values of Johns Hopkins as an institution.

'Dr. Sherita Golden, Johns Hopkins Medicine's Chief Diversity Officer, has
sincerely acknowledged this mistake and retracted the language used in the
message.'

Other Twitter users slammed the letter too.

https://img-s-msn-
com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1mXUx6.img?w=634&h=624&m=6

https://img-s-msn-
com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1mXJHU.img?w=634&h=653&m=6&x=149&y
=368&s=37&d=37

In response, conservative activists are trashing the institution online.

'Johns Hopkins is throwing away their legacy of being a respected and
honored institution over the DEI movement that history will list as the
thing that brought down this venerable institution for promoting racism,
and discrimination and too many phobias to mention,' wrote one person.

'I fall in every category here-- so I must be the privilege world
champion,' joked another user.

'I would love the word 'privilege' to just get sucked into a vortex, never
to be seen or uttered again,' said another.

This past October, Johns Hopkins made headlines when it renamed one of its
programs, the Caroline Donovan Professorship in English Literature due to
the Donovan's family owning of slaves in the 19th century.

According to a 2020 announcement from the school, founder Johns Hopkins
too was a slaveowner, despite being a Quaker, a group who were largely
abolitionist.

'Weighing the prime legacy of any name is a subjective and imprecise
process, but in taking up this work, the university seeks to reconcile
history with the values it strives to protect and uphold,' Vice-chair of
the university's board of trustees Sarah O'Hagan said in a statement at
the time.

--
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
stupid people won't be offended.

Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.