Alt.Digitiser is now more shit than it has ever been

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 12:49:22 PM4/15/01
I've said that before, and I'll continue to say it until it stops being
this shit.

This group is infested with absolute crap. Crap posts, pointless posts,
crap people and pointless people.

I'm angry. I'm having to pay to download tonnes of absolute crap right now,
and I'm wondering why I bother. And then I'm remembering why I bother. It's
because I know that alt.digitiser harbours the odd excellent post, and
reams of excellent, funny, interesting people.

Unfortunately right now they are being hidden behind a wall of people who
wouldn't have the skill to start a thread in alt.test.

I mean, come on; what is the point in posting something here if you're
going to make a one line reply. Especially if that one line reply consists
mainly of a tired, over-used and incorrectly used a.d catchphrase?

And then there's the quoting thing. IS it really so much of a hassle to
actually trim yyour replies? We really don't need to see the entire
previous mail (or indeed, more.) That's why we have threads; so you can
skip back to remind yourself of what's been said before.

GNNNGH.

A.D has always gone through shit patches. I've complained before. But now
people who NEVER usually complain are complaining too.

God, this group annoys me sometimes. Because it can be so good.

Right now, it's like "A Prince Among Men", the shite Chris Barrie football
sitcom. Or perhaps Any Saturday/Sunday morning kids programme made by BBC
Scotland.

Sort it out.

--
The Wibble - The Dead Comedy Site - http://www.the-wibble.co.uk
Not Brilliant - The Comedy Site That Doesn't Exist Yet

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 12:53:02 PM4/15/01
On 15 Apr 2001 17:49:22 +0100, Daniel Thornton said...

> Unfortunately right now they are being hidden behind a wall of people who
> wouldn't have the skill to start a thread in alt.test.

That would have sounded better if I had said "wouldn't have the skill to
make a decent post in alt.test", so let's imagine I did.

Jammo

Apr 15, 2001, 1:04:41 PM4/15/01
"Daniel Thornton" <dan...@the-wibble.co.uk>, I screamed for 1 minute
at 7 Europeans

>I've said that before, and I'll continue to say it until it stops being
>this shit.

In previous circumstances when you have said this, I have cussed you.
In fact, for some time I disliked you purely because you regularly
levied this complaint at the group.

That time has most definitely passed.

>This group is infested with absolute crap. Crap posts, pointless posts,
>crap people and pointless people.

The proof is in the pudding. In the past 3 days, I have read about
500 posts. I was entertained by about 4 of them, and bored and
disgusted by the rest. At least 2 of the entertaining ones were
written by Syd Ricketts.

>I'm angry. I'm having to pay to download tonnes of absolute crap right now,
>and I'm wondering why I bother. And then I'm remembering why I bother. It's
>because I know that alt.digitiser harbours the odd excellent post, and
>reams of excellent, funny, interesting people.

As shown by the 4 good posts out of 500. It reminds me of the time
when Tom Camfield complained about the lack of games talk in the
group, and I informed him that I would rather read one excellent post
about dishwashers or something than 200 shit posts about games.

Now I long for at least one excellent post within a week. That is all
that can be hoped for in these dark days.

And recent posts aren't about ANYTHING. For example, see the thread
which now contains over A HUNDRED posts, which was started with Mooney
posting the lyrics to Monday Monday.

>Unfortunately right now they are being hidden behind a wall of people who
>wouldn't have the skill to start a thread in alt.test.
>
>I mean, come on; what is the point in posting something here if you're
>going to make a one line reply. Especially if that one line reply consists
>mainly of a tired, over-used and incorrectly used a.d catchphrase?

Because if certain people who shall remain nameless do it, it must be
good.

No, really.

Another example is the recent trend to reply to anything written by
Hughes (who, yes, is extremely excellent), saying that Hughes amuses
them. After this happening twice, people get the picture. Yet it is
repeatedly done, and is an annoyance.

See also: FUCK OFF CUNTY.

>A.D has always gone through shit patches. I've complained before. But now
>people who NEVER usually complain are complaining too.

Like I.

>God, this group annoys me sometimes. Because it can be so good.
>
>Right now, it's like "A Prince Among Men", the shite Chris Barrie football
>sitcom. Or perhaps Any Saturday/Sunday morning kids programme made by BBC
>Scotland.

It's like Baddiel's Syndrome. Most of the time it is fucking awful,
but occasionally there are brilliantly hilarious bits.

>Sort it out.

I agree.

--
This Is Jammo.

ICQ: 42882864

This Is Ornage.

Glyndwr

Apr 15, 2001, 1:01:49 PM4/15/01
On 15 Apr 2001 17:49:22 +0100, Daniel Thornton scribbled:

>I've said that before, and I'll continue to say it until it stops being
>this shit.

Yes, well done. Why not just moan and pout, rather than be pro-active
and start good threads? I have no problem with people thinking a.d is
shit, or trying to improve things. Whining uncontrollably, on the other
hand, ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING. Except possibly lowering a.d's shitness
average another point.

>A.D has always gone through shit patches. I've complained before. But now
>people who NEVER usually complain are complaining too.

/me shrugs

>God, this group annoys me sometimes. Because it can be so good.

Be more zen. Good times will come again. Stop stressing.

>Sort it out.

I love the way you think you can just finger-wave at people and it'll
all get good again at once. It's way too nebulous for that, man.

--
-=G=-
Web: http://www.fscked.co.uk ICQ: 66545073

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 1:11:18 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:01:49 GMT, Glyndwr said...

> Yes, well done. Why not just moan and pout, rather than be pro-active
> and start good threads?

Because I'm at the stage where I can't see the point. Any good thread
rapidly becomes infected with the kind of shite that infests the rest of
the newsgroup.

I could name names of who the worst offenders are, but they should know who
they are. So I won't.

> >A.D has always gone through shit patches. I've complained before. But now
> >people who NEVER usually complain are complaining too.
> /me shrugs

Hmmm.

> >God, this group annoys me sometimes. Because it can be so good.
> Be more zen. Good times will come again. Stop stressing.

That's like saying "oh no, my house and all my belongings are on fire. Oh
well, not to worry. Eventually they'll stop burning, and everything will be
OK again."

Glyndwr

Apr 15, 2001, 1:27:42 PM4/15/01
On 15 Apr 2001 18:11:18 +0100, Daniel Thornton scribbled:

>On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:01:49 GMT, Glyndwr said...
>> Yes, well done. Why not just moan and pout, rather than be pro-active
>> and start good threads?
>
>Because I'm at the stage where I can't see the point. Any good thread
>rapidly becomes infected with the kind of shite that infests the rest of
>the newsgroup.

So what exactly do you hope to achieve? Are you hoping your influence
will force all the people who you consider to be posting shit to go
"oh no, wait, Daniel's right" and post less?

I'm not taking the piss, it's a genuine question. A newsgoup full of
posts by thirty odd people is pretty nebulous at best, and making it
dance to one person's agenda is like trying to tie a dozen cats to a
stick and get them to move in one direction. Basically, you need a lot
of catnip.

>I could name names of who the worst offenders are, but they should know
>who they are. So I won't.

Maybe they don't. Maybe - just maybe - your definition of shitness isn't
the same as that of the people involved. Maybe - just maybe - shitness
is in the eye of the beholder.

Note I'm not defending or cussing the current state of a.d here. I'm
neutral on that. I'm merely wondering what the hell you hope to achieve.

>> >A.D has always gone through shit patches. I've complained before.
>> >But now people who NEVER usually complain are complaining too.
>> /me shrugs
>
>Hmmm.

Hmm how? Because you consider me to be part of the shitness? I noticed
Jammo had posted to this thread. He's probably off on a lovely little
rant.

>> >God, this group annoys me sometimes. Because it can be so good.
>> Be more zen. Good times will come again. Stop stressing.
>
>That's like saying "oh no, my house and all my belongings are on fire. Oh
>well, not to worry. Eventually they'll stop burning, and everything will be
>OK again."

To extend this metaphor, you'd have to be a paraplegic with no phone
living in the middle of nowhere. Hence, your only course of action is to
yell loudly or, possibly, try and spit on it. In other words, there's
nothing much you can do here.

If you succed in changing anything, then I'll doff my cap to you and eat
my words. But I bet this outburst will change absolutely nothing about
the course of a.d, which will proceed along it's own shitness<->goodness
cycle as ever.

In other words, be more relaxed about it. Exactly the same stuff will be
posted and you will live longer to boot.

Studders

Apr 15, 2001, 1:26:49 PM4/15/01

Daniel Thornton <dan...@the-wibble.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:01:49 GMT, Glyndwr said...
>
> > Yes, well done. Why not just moan and pout, rather than be pro-active
> > and start good threads?
>
> Because I'm at the stage where I can't see the point. Any good thread
> rapidly becomes infected with the kind of shite that infests the rest of
> the newsgroup.

Rather than moaning in a "j00 all suXX0rs" kinda way, instead would not a
"don't post like this, its boring" or "YOUR SHIT, PISSO OFF" be a far better
way of getting rid of the shit?

> I could name names of who the worst offenders are, but they should know
who
> they are. So I won't.

what if they are so shit that they don't realise? Name them, if I'm "crap",
I'd rather know so I could just lurk or post even less than I do already,
theres no point me trying to post funny stuff if nobody finds it funny.

> > >God, this group annoys me sometimes. Because it can be so good.
> > Be more zen. Good times will come again. Stop stressing.
>
> That's like saying "oh no, my house and all my belongings are on fire. Oh
> well, not to worry. Eventually they'll stop burning, and everything will
be
> OK again."

although its not, because if your house burns down, then its permanent, and
you have to rebuild the entire thing, whearas with a newsgroup its not like
any permanent damage can actually be done unless some of the "funny"
"regulars" (are you regular? (irony fully intended)) leave permanently.

Although, having not been here long enough, I'm fully on the fence on this
one because I don't believe I have been present during any "good" times of
AD to compare its current state to.

--
Studders
Al Gregory

Adrian Wood

Apr 15, 2001, 1:53:27 PM4/15/01

"Glyndwr" <glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 15 Apr 2001 17:49:22 +0100, Daniel Thornton scribbled:
> >I've said that before, and I'll continue to say it until it stops being
> >this shit.
>
> Yes, well done. Why not just moan and pout, rather than be pro-active
> and start good threads? I have no problem with people thinking a.d is
> shit, or trying to improve things. Whining uncontrollably, on the other
> hand, ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING. Except possibly lowering a.d's shitness
> average another point.

I agree completely, although mainly because I fear this is directed at least
particuly at me.

> >A.D has always gone through shit patches. I've complained before. But now
> >people who NEVER usually complain are complaining too.
>
> /me shrugs

Including me, at myself.

> >God, this group annoys me sometimes. Because it can be so good.
>
> Be more zen. Good times will come again. Stop stressing.

Yep, as I go through patches of being shit, great, amusing, and downright
nasty. I *think* I may be passing out of my shit phase back into amusing,
which may help. possibly.

> >Sort it out.
>
> I love the way you think you can just finger-wave at people and it'll
> all get good again at once. It's way too nebulous for that, man.

Yes, plus we all know that all A.D. shitness springs DIRECTLY FROM ME.

And Syd, don't forget Syd.

Adrian

--
Visit my crap site at www.geocities.com/the_1st_real_slayer
Sign my guestbook, preferably with a mark out of 10.

Anorak

Apr 15, 2001, 2:01:25 PM4/15/01
<snip>

> A.D has always gone through shit patches

I'm on version 2.14 at the moment

DYSWIDT? [1]

--
Anorak
www.boomshankers.com

[1] Contained within the main text of this post are 2 IRONICAL a.d.
catchphrases and a footnote

Matthew Garrett

Apr 15, 2001, 2:03:36 PM4/15/01
In article <xelC6.6085$cf5.5...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Adrian
Wood wrote:

>And Syd, don't forget Syd.

Syd's inanities may add little, but at least they're not offensively
stupid. I actually laughed at his last one. Mind you, it would be pretty
easy to write Sim Syd.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-alt...@srcf.ucam.org
Any "Chris Buckley" mentioned in the above text is a fictional character.

Rev. Owen Allaway

Apr 15, 2001, 2:04:26 PM4/15/01
On 15 Apr 2001, Glyndwr wrote...

>So what exactly do you hope to achieve? Are you hoping your influence
>will force all the people who you consider to be posting shit to go
>"oh no, wait, Daniel's right" and post less?

Well, I guess that's exactly what he's hoping. (Except by the time I post
this he'll probably have replied himself and proved me wrong.) As for
myself, since Jammo cussed me up over my Spaced DVD post I've been trying
to consider my posts more. As Daniel suggests in his original post, I have
been posting less one line messages. (And I've always tried to snip as much
quoted text as possible, only leaving in just enough for the post to be
comprehensible on its own.) I've just had a look at the posts archived on
my system and still think about 5 of my posts could be lived without. Well,
they all could be lived without, but there are a few that leaving me
scratching my head wondering why I bothered to send it.

I think one problem is, as I mentioned above, that some of us (you, me,
Bydlo, Boggis, to name a few) are online most of the day. Therefore, we
don't realse quite how many posts there are here. I'd been thinking it was
fairly quiet, and was shocked to realise how many posts there are. If
you're checking in once a day, or maybe even once or twice a week, that's a
hell of a lot to sift through.

On the other hand, I do like it when it I post what I consider to be a
funny post and someone responds with a simple "mohh". It makes me feel all
sort of warm and fuzzy inside. So, if I read a message I enjoy, I like to
dash of a quick reply indicating this. But, as I said, I've been doing it
much less lately. Maybe I'm shit by Daniel and Jammo's standards. I
honestly don't know. But I having been trying to balance things out, to
make sure I at least consider those people who aren't sitting around
reading alt.digi all day.

And I'm just really sure what the people complaining mean by entertainment.
To take a thread Jammo mentioned in his post (which you won't have seen)
I'm not sure how much "entertainment value" a thread about the Pixies and
Husker Du has, but that doesn't mean it wasn't worthwhile. I enjoyed it.

I mean, I'm really enjoying the group as it is now, with conversations on
games, music, advertising, anime, humour, etc. I'm not going to make all my
posts funny and only post amusing replies (although I try where I can). But
I do try not to just post a really quick reply without thinking and at
least try to add something to the new to the conversation. Most of the
time.

Richard Fairweather

Apr 15, 2001, 2:08:23 PM4/15/01
"Daniel Thornton" wrote:

>This group is infested with absolute crap. Crap posts, pointless posts,
>crap people and pointless people.

What it is I think is this: when I first subbed to a.d. it was mainly
full of funny people who happened to use catchphrases. It was AMUSING.
Now, to put not too fine a point on it, it's been overrun by people
who - sometimes by their own admission - aren't amusing or interesting
but who attempt to obscure this by using a.d. catchphrases. It's
almost as if they believe that some mathematical equation in "mohh"'s
and "fuck off cunty"'s is always going to make for hilarious reading.

The bottom line to all this is that a.d. has ceased in the main to be
bearable to read.

"So why then, Richard, are you continuing to read it? Why - if I may
make use of one of less amusing catchphrases to have sprung up in
recent times - don't you just fuck off, cunty?" you may be asking in
your filthy house.

Because I CARE.

a.d. is now mostly abysmal, and the fact that so many people can't see
this is deeply worrying. It just isn't funny anymore. Do you all see
this? It isn't funny. It. Is. Not. Funny. It isn't.

Obviously, if everyone else likes it and we're the few dissenting
voices, then there's no problem. Keep on posting things about your
mates doing hilarious things which would probably be better kept to
email. Keep on posting those very interesting technical questions
about 3D cards. Keep on posting single-line replies along the lines of
"mohh" or whatever the fuck keeps you moist. Sure, the volume of posts
will go down, and all discussion will be limited to trying to create
new catchphrases and exchanging unfunny injokes with each other, but -
hey! - as long as you're all happy.

But the next time anyone feels compelled to post blindly and without
any sort of thought, please, for the love of God, just think of me and
this easy-to-recall phrase: think once, think twice, think about
writing something that's actually amusing next time. And if you don't,
you'd brighten up my world considerably by fucking off and dying up an
elephant's arse, you appalling cunt. Yes, YOU.

--
[ FMoose on #DiGi ]
[ email: fmoose -AT- SoftHome -DOT- net ]

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 1:59:13 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:26:49 +0100, SPOTtheSPAMremoverINthisADDRESS said...

> although its not, because if your house burns down, then its permanent, and
> you have to rebuild the entire thing, whearas with a newsgroup its not like
> any permanent damage can actually be done unless some of the "funny"
> "regulars" (are you regular? (irony fully intended)) leave permanently.

I've noticed that loads of the "funny" regulars no longer post here with
anything approaching the regularity that they used to.

Perhaps they became so utterly fed-up with it, that they no longer have the
energy too.

Glyndwr

Apr 15, 2001, 2:10:53 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:04:26 GMT, Rev. Owen Allaway scribbled:

>I think one problem is, as I mentioned above, that some of us (you, me,
>Bydlo, Boggis, to name a few) are online most of the day. Therefore, we
>don't realse quite how many posts there are here.

This is a valid point. It could be skirted by Thr0nton and Jammo
killfiling everyone except Hughes and Branch. I'd shed no tears.

>On the other hand, I do like it when it I post what I consider to be a
>funny post and someone responds with a simple "mohh". It makes me feel
>all sort of warm and fuzzy inside.

If I put a shitload of effort into a funny post - yes, it does happen at
times - and no-one replies with at least a "mohh", I get annoyed and am
less likely to bother in the future. I know Branch feels the same way.
It's like delivering a joke and no-one laughing.

>And I'm just really sure what the people complaining mean by
>entertainment. To take a thread Jammo mentioned in his post (which you
>won't have seen) I'm not sure how much "entertainment value" a thread
>about the Pixies and Husker Du has, but that doesn't mean it wasn't
>worthwhile. I enjoyed it.

Yes. We're not a fucking comedy club. Shit at the moment it might be (I
remain neutral), but why do certain people get to determine the time has
come for action? Who died and made them kings? Why do their value
judgements count more than anyone else's?

>I mean, I'm really enjoying the group as it is now, with conversations
>on games, music, advertising, anime, humour, etc. I'm not going to make
>all my posts funny and only post amusing replies (although I try where
>I can). But I do try not to just post a really quick reply without
>thinking and at least try to add something to the new to the
>conversation. Most of the time.

Yes.

Studders

Apr 15, 2001, 2:18:51 PM4/15/01

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:26:49 +0100, SPOTtheSPAMremoverINthisADDRESS
said...

> > although its not, because if your house burns down, then its permanent,
and
> > you have to rebuild the entire thing, whearas with a newsgroup its not
like
> > any permanent damage can actually be done unless some of the "funny"
> > "regulars" (are you regular? (irony fully intended)) leave permanently.
>
> I've noticed that loads of the "funny" regulars no longer post here with
> anything approaching the regularity that they used to.
>
> Perhaps they became so utterly fed-up with it, that they no longer have
the
> energy too.

maybe you're right, but as I said, I've not been here long enough to have
anything to compare it to.

Studders

Apr 15, 2001, 2:30:50 PM4/15/01

> Yes. We're not a fucking comedy club.

I certainly come to AD to be amused, and I don't think I'm alone in that. I
don't really have *that* much of an interest in games at the moment, and
even less of an interest in action figures and animé which seems to be more
and more common in here these days.

On a side-note, my brother has unsubscribed, claiming it not to be amusing
anymore. So perhaps you are right Thornton.

Adrian Wood

Apr 15, 2001, 2:26:28 PM4/15/01
"Richard Fairweather" <fact...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Daniel Thornton" wrote:
>
> >This group is infested with absolute crap. Crap posts, pointless posts,
> >crap people and pointless people.
>
> Now, to put not too fine a point on it, it's been overrun by people
> who - sometimes by their own admission - aren't amusing or interesting
> but who attempt to obscure this by using a.d. catchphrases. It's
> almost as if they believe that some mathematical equation in "mohh"'s
> and "fuck off cunty"'s is always going to make for hilarious reading.

I probably fall pretty much into this category, although I don't think I use
catchphrases for the sake of using catchphrases.

> a.d. is now mostly abysmal, and the fact that so many people can't see
> this is deeply worrying. It just isn't funny anymore. Do you all see
> this? It isn't funny. It. Is. Not. Funny. It isn't.

This is where i disagree. I must admit I'm reading less amusing posts than I
was a while ago, but to me, a while ago is about a week. As has been said,
A.D. does go through a shit <> great cycle, and IMHO (And I've never used
that one before,) even when its shit by comparison with when its great, its
great by comparison to other groups.

The fact is, there has been, seemingly unnoticed, an influx of new blood
over the past couple of weeks, not to mention a lot of people who had
apparently gone coming back. Its going to take time for the returners to get
used to the oh-so-small ways in which A.D. has changed since they left, and
its going to take time for the uber-new newbies to get to grips with the
group.

For now, those amongst the group who feel that it is currently shit are just
going to have to weather the storm somewhat for the time being. I don't know
if the newcomers are going to become better, or if the group will subtly
change to make room for the aformentioned small changes, but it will. From
what I know of A.D.'s history, it always has in the past, and will probably
continue to do so.

Rev. Owen Allaway

Apr 15, 2001, 2:38:47 PM4/15/01
On 15 Apr 2001, Glyndwr wrote...

>If I put a shitload of effort into a funny post - yes, it does happen at

>times - and no-one replies with at least a "mohh", I get annoyed and am
>less likely to bother in the future. I know Branch feels the same way.
>It's like delivering a joke and no-one laughing.

Exactly. Without feedback it's impossible to know if people liked your
posts. My A-Team pants one I was quite proud of, and seemed to go down
well. No-one seemed to like my Mojo Jojo impression much though, so I won't
be trying that again. Anyway, if people completely stopped mohhing, I'd
have no idea what worked and what didn't. I might have carried on
pretending to be Mojo for a while and really pissed people off. (That's a
bad example as it was intended to be a one-off, but you know what I mean.)

Mentski

Apr 15, 2001, 2:39:15 PM4/15/01

> I've said that before, and I'll continue to say it until it stops being
> this shit.

Current height of Mentski's "Moan Tower" == 127,000ft

'Ski

--
http://www.mentski.co.uk - nice... Really
Email: mentskiATbtinternetDOTcom

Glyndwr

Apr 15, 2001, 2:34:39 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:30:50 +0100, Studders scribbled:

>Glyndwr <glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Yes. We're not a fucking comedy club.
>
>I certainly come to AD to be amused, and I don't think I'm alone in that.

So do I, but what I'm getting at is I don't have the temerity to demand
everyone else dance and perform for me. I have no expectations of a.d.
Every smile it raises is a priviledge, not a right.

>I don't really have *that* much of an interest in games at the moment,
>and even less of an interest in action figures and animé which seems to
>be more and more common in here these days.

I have no interest in action figures and only a passing one in anime,
but I read all of that thread between Tinman and Branch, enjoyed much of
it, and have resolved to watch some Tenchi as a result.

Pandagas

Apr 15, 2001, 2:40:42 PM4/15/01
>Subject: Alt.Digitiser is now more shit than it has ever been
>From: "Daniel Thornton" dan...@the-wibble.co.uk
>Date: 15/04/01 09:49 Pacific Daylight Time

>I've said that before, and I'll continue to >say it until it stops being
>this shit.

Yeah, well. Most newsgroups attract the
ludicrous. That is the joyous nature of
the beast.

Matthew Garrett

Apr 15, 2001, 2:43:15 PM4/15/01
In article <3RlC6.16986$GZ3.2...@news11-gui.server.ntli.net>, Glyndwr wrote:

>So do I, but what I'm getting at is I don't have the temerity to demand
>everyone else dance and perform for me. I have no expectations of a.d.
>Every smile it raises is a priviledge, not a right.

The point you're missing is that while subscribing to a newsgroup may not
give you the right to read enjoyable posts, neither does it give you the
right to post boring shit (not that I'm accusing you of this, it's just an
illustration). Shouting at people who abuse their rights is the only way
society can be maintained.

(And don't start talking about moral relativism, or I'll be forced to
argue the status of moral absolutism in a universe without a God. You
wouldn't enjoy that.)

Adrian Wood

Apr 15, 2001, 2:43:12 PM4/15/01

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:30:50 +0100, Studders scribbled:
> >
> >Glyndwr <glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> >> Yes. We're not a fucking comedy club.
> >
> >I certainly come to AD to be amused, and I don't think I'm alone in that.
>
> So do I, but what I'm getting at is I don't have the temerity to demand
> everyone else dance and perform for me. I have no expectations of a.d.
> Every smile it raises is a priviledge, not a right.

Indeed. It reminds me of back when we had the flood of shit newbies, around
the time I first came.

Amidst the posts of 'You're so crap, how dare you be so nasty to newqbies,
you SuXX0r', the second most popular thing to say was 'Why don't you talk
about games? This is the digi newsgroup, you should talk about games more.'
And the replies, quite rightly, said 'This newsgroup is about whatever the
people who post here think it's about. You want to talk about games, start
some interesting game-related threads. If they're good, we will post.'

This is the same, except the people asking for the change are far from being
newbies, and are asking for more humour. And I think that, in good
conscience, the only reply I can give is that the posters in Alt.Digitiser
will post whatever they think they should. If you want to start some funny
threads, go ahead. If they amuse, we will follow.

Glyndwr

Apr 15, 2001, 2:45:56 PM4/15/01
On 15 Apr 2001 18:43:15 GMT, Matthew Garrett scribbled:

>In article <3RlC6.16986$GZ3.2...@news11-gui.server.ntli.net>, Glyndwr wrote:
>
>>So do I, but what I'm getting at is I don't have the temerity to demand
>>everyone else dance and perform for me. I have no expectations of a.d.
>>Every smile it raises is a priviledge, not a right.
>
>The point you're missing is that while subscribing to a newsgroup may not
>give you the right to read enjoyable posts, neither does it give you the
>right to post boring shit (not that I'm accusing you of this, it's just an
>illustration). Shouting at people who abuse their rights is the only way
>society can be maintained.

This I will concede, as I've been on the shouting end of that equation
enough times.

>(And don't start talking about moral relativism, or I'll be forced to
>argue the status of moral absolutism in a universe without a God. You
>wouldn't enjoy that.)

Well, I mgiht actually... but it would be "boring shit", wouldn't it?

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 3:12:15 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:04:26 GMT, Rev. Owen Allaway said...

> Well, I guess that's exactly what he's hoping. (Except by the time I post
> this he'll probably have replied himself and proved me wrong.)

No, you're right.

> As for
> myself, since Jammo cussed me up over my Spaced DVD post I've been trying
> to consider my posts more.

Thats all that's needed really. A bit of consideration. Just considering
whether or not what you have written is worth someone else's time reading
it.

BTW, any "you" I use is a generic "you" and does not refer to you in
particular.

> I'd been thinking it was
> fairly quiet, and was shocked to realise how many posts there are.

I didn't check a.d one day. I came back the day after and there were around
700 posts. 20 in, and I lost the will to read anything and just marked all
as read.

Then I went to Aldi. ECONOMY GROCERY SHOPPING HAS BECOME PREFERABLE TO A.D.

> I'm not going to make all my
> posts funny and only post amusing replies (although I try where I can). But
> I do try not to just post a really quick reply without thinking and at
> least try to add something to the new to the conversation. Most of the
> time.

That's all that's needed. "Comedy" isn't demanded; when people try to be
funny constantly, they invariably fail. All a.d needs is more worthwhile
posts that just happen to be funny now and again.

Studders

Apr 15, 2001, 3:14:18 PM4/15/01

Glyndwr <glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:30:50 +0100, Studders scribbled:
> >
> >Glyndwr <glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> >> Yes. We're not a fucking comedy club.
> >
> >I certainly come to AD to be amused, and I don't think I'm alone in that.
>
> So do I, but what I'm getting at is I don't have the temerity to demand
> everyone else dance and perform for me. I have no expectations of a.d.
> Every smile it raises is a priviledge, not a right.

true I suppose, but its more a case of some of the funnier / more
interesting people might leave if people continue to post rubbish, and thats
rubbish not as in things I'm not interested in (such as anime and action
figures etc, which I don't have a problem with), but rubbish as in posts
that have little or no point to them, and even less thought put in.

> >I don't really have *that* much of an interest in games at the moment,
> >and even less of an interest in action figures and animé which seems to
> >be more and more common in here these days.
>
> I have no interest in action figures and only a passing one in anime,
> but I read all of that thread between Tinman and Branch, enjoyed much of
> it, and have resolved to watch some Tenchi as a result.

I only have terrestial TV, and don't really have choice whether or not to
have an interest in it. There are occasional posts on things I'm not
interested in that I enjoy reading, but I often find that there are posts
with little point, and of no interest to anyone, even those interested in
the subject at hand. I don't mind posts on things that I'm not interested
in at all, if a lot of people like talking about anime/actions figures etc
(hereby AAFE) then thats fine by me, but its when people post about things
of no interest to anyone, and continue to do so even after they get no
as long as enough snippage is done to save time in reading for those not
especially interested in whether or not Dejaboy47_l33t_boy found it funny or
not) that it annoys me. If you don't have anything interesting or funny to
say, then don't post, its that simple. I don't post for my benefit, I post
in the hopes that I'll be able to help someone see their error, amuse
someone, or further my knowledge on something, if I'm not doing that, then I
won't post.

Jammo

Apr 15, 2001, 3:15:06 PM4/15/01
glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk (Glyndwr), I screamed for 1 minute at
7 Europeans

>>Because I'm at the stage where I can't see the point. Any good thread

>>rapidly becomes infected with the kind of shite that infests the rest of
>>the newsgroup.
>
>So what exactly do you hope to achieve? Are you hoping your influence
>will force all the people who you consider to be posting shit to go
>"oh no, wait, Daniel's right" and post less?

That would be preferable. Shitness in a lower concentration would at
least be a slight improvement.

>>I could name names of who the worst offenders are, but they should know
>>who they are. So I won't.
>
>Maybe they don't. Maybe - just maybe - your definition of shitness isn't
>the same as that of the people involved. Maybe - just maybe - shitness
>is in the eye of the beholder.

Their version of shitness must involve rather hideous situations.

>Note I'm not defending or cussing the current state of a.d here. I'm
>neutral on that. I'm merely wondering what the hell you hope to achieve.

For a.d to stop being so shit, I assume.

>>> /me shrugs
>>
>>Hmmm.
>
>Hmm how? Because you consider me to be part of the shitness? I noticed
>Jammo had posted to this thread. He's probably off on a lovely little
>rant.

Yes, because I couldn't possibly be complaining about numerous other
people, I must be complaining about you, you arrogant moron.

>If you succed in changing anything, then I'll doff my cap to you and eat
>my words. But I bet this outburst will change absolutely nothing about
>the course of a.d, which will proceed along it's own shitness<->goodness
>cycle as ever.

But that cycle has remained in "shitness mode" for about 6 months or
so now, which is a first since my arrival about two years ago.

>In other words, be more relaxed about it. Exactly the same stuff will be
>posted and you will live longer to boot.

Especially if he unsubscribes due to the awful shit still being
posted.

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 3:17:27 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:10:53 GMT, Glyndwr said...

> This is a valid point. It could be skirted by Thr0nton and Jammo
> killfiling everyone except Hughes and Branch. I'd shed no tears.

I rarely use killfiles. I generally reserve them for abusive cunts and
spammers. If you start killfiling everyone, you end up missing out on the
occasionaly good post.

> Yes. We're not a fucking comedy club.

Comedy hasn't been requested. There are hundreds of places we can go and
get comedy on the internet. What has been requested is a bit of quality and
a bit of thought.

Quality and thought don not = using old a.d phrases.

> Shit at the moment it might be (I
> remain neutral), but why do certain people get to determine the time has
> come for action? Who died and made them kings? Why do their value
> judgements count more than anyone else's?

Because we're not shit, probably.

> >I mean, I'm really enjoying the group as it is now, with conversations
> >on games, music, advertising, anime, humour, etc.

There are good conversations going on. It's just finding them amongst the
rubbish that's getting me down.

toyah

Apr 15, 2001, 3:19:18 PM4/15/01
Rev. Owen Allaway <jc...@weld18.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 15 Apr 2001, Glyndwr wrote...
>
> >So what exactly do you hope to achieve? Are you hoping your influence
> >will force all the people who you consider to be posting shit to go
> >"oh no, wait, Daniel's right" and post less?
>
> Well, I guess that's exactly what he's hoping. (Except by the time I post
> this he'll probably have replied himself and proved me wrong.) As for
> myself, since Jammo cussed me up over my Spaced DVD post I've been trying
> to consider my posts more. As Daniel suggests in his original post, I have
> been posting less one line messages. (And I've always tried to snip as
much
> quoted text as possible, only leaving in just enough for the post to be
> comprehensible on its own.) I've just had a look at the posts archived on
> my system and still think about 5 of my posts could be lived without.
Well,
> they all could be lived without, but there are a few that leaving me
> scratching my head wondering why I bothered to send it.
>
> I think one problem is, as I mentioned above, that some of us (you, me,
> Bydlo, Boggis, to name a few) are online most of the day. Therefore, we
> don't realse quite how many posts there are here. I'd been thinking it was
> fairly quiet, and was shocked to realise how many posts there are. If
> you're checking in once a day, or maybe even once or twice a week, that's
> hell of a lot to sift through.

(@Ornage): I MADE A DIFFERENCE IN A.D!
(@Ornage): I MANAGED TO GET ALLAWAY TO DECREASE HIS SHITNESS
(@Ornage): ALLAWAY IN NAMING AND SHAMING SELF, BYDLO, BOGGIS SHOCKA

mohh

toyah

--
toyah / oTHaY
www.spladoosh.co.uk

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 3:21:29 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:26:49 +0100, SPOTtheSPAMremoverINthisADDRESS said...

> Rather than moaning in a "j00 all suXX0rs" kinda way,

I resent that. Really. What you've put above suggests a lazy argument, and
I've tried to put my point across as best I can.

> instead would not a
> "don't post like this, its boring" or "YOUR SHIT, PISSO OFF" be a far better
> way of getting rid of the shit?

People have done that. Then the shit people complain and ask why they are
shit and stay, continuuing to be shit.

> Although, having not been here long enough, I'm fully on the fence on this
> one because I don't believe I have been present during any "good" times of
> AD to compare its current state to.

Trust me on this one. It really is quite appaling at the moment. And it's
been getting worse since the start of the year.

Wait until Google reinstate the Deja archive, and then check back about 18
months ago, or further if you can be bothered. Choose some threads at
random, and enjoy them.

You will, you know.

Jammo

Apr 15, 2001, 3:23:06 PM4/15/01
glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk (Glyndwr), I screamed for 1 minute at
7 Europeans

>>On the other hand, I do like it when it I post what I consider to be a

>>funny post and someone responds with a simple "mohh". It makes me feel
>>all sort of warm and fuzzy inside.

Then...

>Yes. We're not a fucking comedy club.

Hmm. Why do you expect an audience response then?

>Who died and made them kings? Why do their value
>judgements count more than anyone else's?

I don't believe either myself or Daniel said this was the case. We
merely stated our opinions. You have shown that you cannot accept
people having differing opinions, whereas the Rev has. Well done.

James Bevan

Apr 15, 2001, 3:18:06 PM4/15/01
You are just angry because of your enormous man boobs and bum fluff beard
only attract 70 year old men and not 16 year old girls.

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 3:27:28 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:38:47 GMT, Rev. Owen Allaway said...

> Exactly. Without feedback it's impossible to know if people liked your
> posts.

Tip: If you get a decent reply to a post, it was probably liked. If you get
a one line reply saying "muhu" it was liked by an arse-licker. If you get
no reply, it was either disliked, or you said all that needed to be said.

Adrian Wood

Apr 15, 2001, 3:23:46 PM4/15/01

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:26:49 +0100, SPOTtheSPAMremoverINthisADDRESS
said...

> Wait until Google reinstate the Deja archive, and then check back about 18
> months ago, or further if you can be bothered. Choose some threads at
> random, and enjoy them.
>
> You will, you know.

It's up, just glitchy. And you can view, but you can't post, although that
doesn't really matter for posts that old.

Studders

Apr 15, 2001, 3:33:21 PM4/15/01

Daniel Thornton <dan...@the-wibble.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:26:49 +0100, SPOTtheSPAMremoverINthisADDRESS
said...

> > Rather than moaning in a "j00 all suXX0rs" kinda way,
>
> I resent that. Really. What you've put above suggests a lazy argument, and
> I've tried to put my point across as best I can.

sorry, I didn't mean to downgrade your post, I know it was at least well
put, its just I still think that it was too much a general, AD sucks at the
moment, instead of pointing out the shitness and killing it off.

> > instead would not a
> > "don't post like this, its boring" or "YOUR SHIT, PISSO OFF" be a far
better
> > way of getting rid of the shit?
>
> People have done that. Then the shit people complain and ask why they are
> shit and stay, continuuing to be shit.

I don't recall this happening, except from Jammo, which, as I've said many
times, having not been here long enough, I wasn't sure if he was shouting in
the Favus styleee at everyone, even those who are good for no real reason.
All except for incredibly shit newbies, natch.

> > Although, having not been here long enough, I'm fully on the fence on
this
> > one because I don't believe I have been present during any "good" times
of
> > AD to compare its current state to.
>
> Trust me on this one. It really is quite appaling at the moment. And it's
> been getting worse since the start of the year.
>
> Wait until Google reinstate the Deja archive, and then check back about 18
> months ago, or further if you can be bothered. Choose some threads at
> random, and enjoy them.
>
> You will, you know.

to be honest, I really can't be arsed right now. Maybe another time.

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 3:36:44 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:14:18 +0100, SPOTtheSPAMremoverINthisADDRESS said...

> true I suppose, but its more a case of some of the funnier / more
> interesting people might leave if people continue to post rubbish,

They have, and I think they will continue to do so. Until a.d is only a
margin above any of the other spam-filled semi-dead groups.

> I don't mind posts on things that I'm not interested
> in at all, if a lot of people like talking about anime/actions figures etc
> (hereby AAFE) then thats fine by me,

a.d has never really had a set topic. If things are worthwhile, they get
discussed. Nothing wrong with that. the problem comes when the group gets
filled with appaling shite, instead of stuff that may not be interesting to
everyone but is still at the very least GOOD.

> If you don't have anything interesting or funny to
> say, then don't post, its that simple. I don't post for my benefit, I post
> in the hopes that I'll be able to help someone see their error, amuse
> someone, or further my knowledge on something, if I'm not doing that, then I
> won't post.

I subscribe to lots of groups. I don't think I've seen any group decline so
quickly as a.d.

Apart from the RedHotAnt newsgroup. And that was never going to survive
once the ISP died, was it?

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 3:39:32 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:15:06 +0100, Jammo said...

> >In other words, be more relaxed about it. Exactly the same stuff will be
> >posted and you will live longer to boot.
> Especially if he unsubscribes due to the awful shit still being
> posted.

Well, I'm seriously considering unsubbing. I don't want to, but at the same
time I don't want to download a load of appalling rubbish when there's far
better things I could be doing with my time.

There have always been far better things I could do with my time than read
a.d. But I've never considered unsubbing until now.

Adrian Wood

Apr 15, 2001, 3:36:40 PM4/15/01
"Daniel Thornton" <dan...@the-wibble.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:26:49 +0100, SPOTtheSPAMremoverINthisADDRESS
said...

> > Rather than moaning in a "j00 all suXX0rs" kinda way,
> > instead would not a
> > "don't post like this, its boring" or "YOUR SHIT, PISSO OFF" be a far
better
> > way of getting rid of the shit?
>
> People have done that. Then the shit people complain and ask why they are
> shit and stay, continuuing to be shit.

Revolutionary thought: Tell them why they're shit.

After all, only two things can happen... They either leave, finally gotten
there wish to find out what it was they were so hated for, or they make an
attempt to change.
The only exception are the blatant trolls, but I doubt they'd ask why they
were shit.

Studders

Apr 15, 2001, 3:44:33 PM4/15/01

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:14:18 +0100, SPOTtheSPAMremoverINthisADDRESS
said...

I liek the way you removed my e-mail address but not the spam-block.

> > I don't mind posts on things that I'm not interested
> > in at all, if a lot of people like talking about anime/actions figures
etc
> > (hereby AAFE) then thats fine by me,
>
> a.d has never really had a set topic. If things are worthwhile, they get
> discussed. Nothing wrong with that. the problem comes when the group gets
> filled with appaling shite, instead of stuff that may not be interesting
> everyone but is still at the very least GOOD.

exactly. Everything should be interesting to at least one person, otherwise
it ruins the point in posting.

> > If you don't have anything interesting or funny to
> > say, then don't post, its that simple. I don't post for my benefit, I
post
> > in the hopes that I'll be able to help someone see their error, amuse
> > someone, or further my knowledge on something, if I'm not doing that,
then I
> > won't post.
>
> I subscribe to lots of groups. I don't think I've seen any group decline
so
> quickly as a.d.

It'd be a shame if this place died. Like I said, I haven't been here long
to have much to compare it to (I also subscribe to few other NG's), but I
would miss the posts in here, with their individual style of humour, that I
can't find elsewhere.

Shaun Lucas

Apr 15, 2001, 3:40:15 PM4/15/01
If I'm perfectly honest, in retrospect I don't think a.d recovered properly
from the events of Flamefest2k. While I may have reduced my postings in the
last few months, this has been due to my nursing conversion course studies,
and not because I believe the group is shit - the group is never shit. But
because it exists in such a fluid state (no diarrhoea jokes please) then
natural dips in what we consider the group to be are to be expected. The
group will change, a couple of new people will come in, some old faces will
turn up again, and things will once more be on a roll. We just have to be
patient.

Shaun.

Shaun Lucas

Apr 15, 2001, 3:43:04 PM4/15/01

"Matthew Garrett" <mjg59-alt...@srcf.ucam.org> wrote in message
> In article <xelC6.6085$cf5.5...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Adrian
> Wood wrote:
>
> >And Syd, don't forget Syd.
>
> Syd's inanities may add little, but at least they're not offensively
> stupid. I actually laughed at his last one. Mind you, it would be pretty
> easy to write Sim Syd.

Syd's problem is that he knows full well he irritates and annoys people, but
is simply too ignorant to realise he is only making himself look worse the
more he posts here. He simply could not give a shit about what he has said
before - he's a troll, pure and simple.

Shaun.

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 3:54:56 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:23:46 +0100, Adrian Wood said...

> > Wait until Google reinstate the Deja archive,

> It's up, just glitchy. And you can view, but you can't post, although that
> doesn't really matter for posts that old.

Google only goes back to August last year right now. I mean look at it when
they reinstate the last five years of Usenet. Then you'll see some good
stuff.

Andrew R. Gillett-a-licious

Apr 15, 2001, 4:13:58 PM4/15/01
In alt.digitiser, Richard Fairweather wrote:
> a.d. is now mostly abysmal, and the fact that so many people can't see
> this is deeply worrying. It just isn't funny anymore. Do you all see
> this? It isn't funny. It. Is. Not. Funny. It isn't.

In that case, maybe there should be an alt.digitiser Charter of
Excellence which would require all posts to conform to high standards of
quality. Quarterly league tables would be published based on each
poster's performance. Posters who do not conform to the quality standards
will be named and shamed. It also means we could formalise our policy on
newbies.

The above was originally meant as sarcasm, but actually it sounds like
quite a good idea.

--
Andrew Gillett http://argnet.fatal-design.com/ ICQ: See homepage
"I am not a hobby horse, oh no. I am a hobby lion, which is the king of

MrPSB

Apr 15, 2001, 4:15:22 PM4/15/01
<dan...@the-wibble.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm having to pay to download tonnes of absolute crap right now,

Mohh, It's been a long time since I've seen this one. "Your message
cost me 0.001p and I WANT IT BACK"

viva la 0800!!!!!!!!
--
Mark W/MrPSB

Studders

Apr 15, 2001, 4:17:02 PM4/15/01

Andrew R. Gillett-a-licious <a...@whangomatic.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:MPG.15441121a...@news.freeserve.net...

> In alt.digitiser, Richard Fairweather wrote:
> > a.d. is now mostly abysmal, and the fact that so many people can't see
> > this is deeply worrying. It just isn't funny anymore. Do you all see
> > this? It isn't funny. It. Is. Not. Funny. It isn't.
>
> In that case, maybe there should be an alt.digitiser Charter of
> Excellence which would require all posts to conform to high standards of
> quality. Quarterly league tables would be published based on each
> poster's performance. Posters who do not conform to the quality standards
> will be named and shamed. It also means we could formalise our policy on
> newbies.
>
> The above was originally meant as sarcasm, but actually it sounds like
> quite a good idea.

"Economic Disaster II" etc

and alt.digitiser-moderated. The irony.

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 4:17:22 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:15:22 GMT, MrPSB said...

> viva la 0800!!!!!!!!

Viva la 0800 ISP going bankrupt and NTL not letting me use anything else
because they're money grabbing bastards who charge me the full NTL rate but
won't actually allow me to use the full NTL service despite it saying NTL
on my bill and putting up my line rental and TV subscriptions depsite not
giving me anything more for my money.

Charing Cross Branch

Apr 15, 2001, 4:46:30 PM4/15/01
On 15 Apr 2001 18:59:13 +0100, "Daniel Thornton"
<dan...@the-wibble.co.uk> wrote:

>I've noticed that loads of the "funny" regulars no longer post here with
>anything approaching the regularity that they used to.
>
>Perhaps they became so utterly fed-up with it, that they no longer have the
>energy too.

I more or less vanished back when Jammo first started saying how shit
a.d had become, because I realized he was right. Nothing in here was
worth replying to, I didn't feel like posting anything because it
wouldn't get any worthwhile replies... I just couldn't be bothered.

Charing Cross Branch

Apr 15, 2001, 4:49:01 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:36:40 +0100, "Adrian Wood"
<adrian...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Revolutionary thought: Tell them why they're shit.
>
>After all, only two things can happen... They either leave, finally gotten
>there wish to find out what it was they were so hated for, or they make an
>attempt to change.

I swear I tried to tell you after that whole Nelly Furtardo thing.

Charing Cross Branch

Apr 15, 2001, 4:51:10 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:34:39 GMT, glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk
(Glyndwr) wrote:

>I have no interest in action figures and only a passing one in anime,
>but I read all of that thread between Tinman and Branch, enjoyed much of
>it, and have resolved to watch some Tenchi as a result.

No kidding... that was probably the most fun I've had on A.D in
absolutely ages. It reminds me of the good old days with Camfield.

Charing Cross Branch

Apr 15, 2001, 4:53:00 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:10:53 GMT, glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk
(Glyndwr) wrote:

>If I put a shitload of effort into a funny post - yes, it does happen at
>times - and no-one replies with at least a "mohh", I get annoyed and am
>less likely to bother in the future. I know Branch feels the same way.
>It's like delivering a joke and no-one laughing.

I'm not sure... a 'mohh' is a bit like being a waiter and getting a
really pathetic tip. You've put the effort and the people at least
recognize it but also don't feel you deserve much recognition for your
efforts. Fuck it, I just expect too much.

Then again, I think too many people ph33red my figure skating post.

Charing Cross Branch

Apr 15, 2001, 4:58:29 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:04:41 +0100, Jammo <ab...@respectthepussy.com>
wrote:

>The proof is in the pudding. In the past 3 days, I have read about
>500 posts. I was entertained by about 4 of them, and bored and
>disgusted by the rest. At least 2 of the entertaining ones were
>written by Syd Ricketts.

Dear GODDESS no... that's like having recording 500 events of your
day, and only having four as being 'enjoyable', two of which were you
getting your legs sliced off by a train, and then getting third degree
burns all over your body when the air ambulance crashed.

>Now I long for at least one excellent post within a week. That is all
>that can be hoped for in these dark days.

I've never seen such widespread writer's block.

>It's like Baddiel's Syndrome. Most of the time it is fucking awful,
>but occasionally there are brilliantly hilarious bits.

Except the guy with the ludicrous American accent is laugh-with funny,
not laugh-at. Right? RIGHT? (looks nervous)

David Bulmer

Apr 15, 2001, 2:33:13 PM4/15/01

"Daniel Thornton" <dan...@the-wibble.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:26:49 +0100, SPOTtheSPAMremoverINthisADDRESS
said...

> I've noticed that loads of the "funny" regulars no longer post here with
> anything approaching the regularity that they used to.
>
> Perhaps they became so utterly fed-up with it, that they no longer have
the
> energy too.

Perhaps they're on their easter holidays though. Come exam time when
everyone's meant to be revising this place will become brilliant once again.

-
Buml0r

David Bulmer

Apr 15, 2001, 2:30:58 PM4/15/01

"Daniel Thornton" <dan...@the-wibble.co.uk> wrote in message

> God, this group annoys me sometimes. Because it can be so good.
>
> Right now, it's like "A Prince Among Men", the shite Chris Barrie football
> sitcom. Or perhaps Any Saturday/Sunday morning kids programme made by BBC
> Scotland.

I think the Prince Among Men allusion is the better of the two, because
Chris Barrie has the ability to be completely excellent (see most series of
Red Dwarf except for the really shit recent ones of course, but even in
series eight he did that fall..), and yet Prince Among Men was absolutely
awful, and prevented him from being any good.

-
Buml0r

Glyndwr

Apr 15, 2001, 4:54:06 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:53:00 +0100, Charing Cross Branch scribbled:

>On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:10:53 GMT, glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk
>(Glyndwr) wrote:
>
>>If I put a shitload of effort into a funny post - yes, it does happen
>>at times - and no-one replies with at least a "mohh", I get annoyed
>>and am less likely to bother in the future. I know Branch feels the
>>same way. It's like delivering a joke and no-one laughing.
>
>I'm not sure... a 'mohh' is a bit like being a waiter and getting a
>really pathetic tip. You've put the effort and the people at least
>recognize it but also don't feel you deserve much recognition for your
>efforts.

Hmm, maybe; but then, isn't it better than nothing?

>Then again, I think too many people ph33red my figure skating post.

I know I did. I think I'll put a copy of it on KFC's doors next to your
mugshot with bright red hair.

Commence ph33rage.

--
-=G=-
Web: http://www.fscked.co.uk ICQ: 66545073

Charing Cross Branch

Apr 15, 2001, 5:08:44 PM4/15/01
On 15 Apr 2001 21:17:22 +0100, "Daniel Thornton"
<dan...@the-wibble.co.uk> wrote:

>Viva la 0800 ISP going bankrupt and NTL not letting me use anything else
>because they're money grabbing bastards who charge me the full NTL rate but
>won't actually allow me to use the full NTL service despite it saying NTL
>on my bill and putting up my line rental and TV subscriptions depsite not
>giving me anything more for my money.

I also cuss NTL for not sending me or my housemate a CD. I ordered it
in October, and they said 'three months'. It never arrived. My
housemate ordered one in February, they told her 'one month'. It never
arrived. She called back, they promised 'a week'. That was a month
ago. AND THEN they fucking misdirect the payment, then send us angry
letters promising to cut us off, and also 'Bermondsey Dave'.

News

Apr 15, 2001, 6:13:19 PM4/15/01

"Daniel Thornton" <dan...@the-wibble.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've said that before, and I'll continue to say it until it stops being
> this shit.
>
> This group is infested with absolute crap. Crap posts, pointless posts,
> crap people and pointless people.
>
> I'm angry. I'm having to pay to download tonnes of absolute crap right
now,
> and I'm wondering why I bother. And then I'm remembering why I bother.
It's
> because I know that alt.digitiser harbours the odd excellent post, and
> reams of excellent, funny, interesting people.
>
> Unfortunately right now they are being hidden behind a wall of people who
> wouldn't have the skill to start a thread in alt.test.
>
> I mean, come on; what is the point in posting something here if you're
> going to make a one line reply. Especially if that one line reply consists
> mainly of a tired, over-used and incorrectly used a.d catchphrase?
>
> And then there's the quoting thing. IS it really so much of a hassle to
> actually trim yyour replies? We really don't need to see the entire
> previous mail (or indeed, more.) That's why we have threads; so you can
> skip back to remind yourself of what's been said before.
>
> GNNNGH.
>
> A.D has always gone through shit patches. I've complained before. But now
> people who NEVER usually complain are complaining too.

> God, this group annoys me sometimes. Because it can be so good.
>
> Right now, it's like "A Prince Among Men", the shite Chris Barrie football
> sitcom. Or perhaps Any Saturday/Sunday morning kids programme made by BBC
> Scotland.
>
> Sort it out.

> --
> The Wibble - The Dead Comedy Site - http://www.the-wibble.co.uk
> Not Brilliant - The Comedy Site That Doesn't Exist Yet
> Coming Soon

YOUR GAY

Message has been deleted

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 5:22:33 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:19:01 +0100, Kenny Hutchings said...

> > Perhaps they're on their easter holidays though. Come exam time when
> > everyone's meant to be revising this place will become brilliant once again.

> This is exactly what I was thinking.

I would have thought that too, had it not been largely terrible for the
past few weeks (at least).

Charing Cross Branch

Apr 15, 2001, 5:33:21 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:54:06 GMT, glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk
(Glyndwr) wrote:

>Hmm, maybe; but then, isn't it better than nothing?

Not if you have pride and/or integrity. If you don't get anything you
can at least think 'they must have forgotten'.

>>Then again, I think too many people ph33red my figure skating post.
>
>I know I did. I think I'll put a copy of it on KFC's doors next to your
>mugshot with bright red hair.

'THIS MANG LIEKS THIS GAEM'

>Commence ph33rage.

I am, now.

Glyndwr

Apr 15, 2001, 5:34:01 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:33:21 +0100, Charing Cross Branch scribbled:

>On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:54:06 GMT, glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk
>(Glyndwr) wrote:
>
>>Hmm, maybe; but then, isn't it better than nothing?
>
>Not if you have pride and/or integrity.

Ah. I have neither, as is blatantly obvious from my hairstyle.

>If you don't get anything you can at least think 'they must have
>forgotten'.

Heh, clutching at straws.

>>>Then again, I think too many people ph33red my figure skating post.
>>
>>I know I did. I think I'll put a copy of it on KFC's doors next to your
>>mugshot with bright red hair.
>
>'THIS MANG LIEKS THIS GAEM'

"DO NOT SURVE THIS FAG0T"

>>Commence ph33rage.
>
>I am, now.

Excellent.

Samir Sheldenkar

Apr 15, 2001, 5:53:14 PM4/15/01
Article <58njdtsls1fog5dsd...@4ax.com> was the best thing
ever! Because Richard Fairweather said...

> "Daniel Thornton" wrote:
>
> >This group is infested with absolute crap. Crap posts, pointless posts,
> >crap people and pointless people.
>
> What it is I think is this: when I first subbed to a.d. it was mainly
> full of funny people who happened to use catchphrases. It was AMUSING.
> Now, to put not too fine a point on it, it's been overrun by people
> who - sometimes by their own admission - aren't amusing or interesting
> but who attempt to obscure this by using a.d. catchphrases. It's
> almost as if they believe that some mathematical equation in "mohh"'s
> and "fuck off cunty"'s is always going to make for hilarious reading.

I think one major reason for people doing stuff like this is that they
want to feel like part of the group. Especially in a group like this,
where a lot of the posts are banter rather than serious discussions,
people seem to want to be recognised as a 'regular'.

The quickest and easiest way for them to do this is
1) to post lots, regardless of what it is
2) to post things that are obviously a.d things (like catchphrases)

(1) gets them the name-recognition, and (2) makes it look like they
belong (Hey look, I know your catchphrases, I'm one of you!)

It's an easy trap to fall into - especially in this group, where if
you're not 'known', you're that much more likely to be cussed - but it
just leads to loads of posts of dubious quality.

A lot of people here probably don't know me, since I don't post a huge
amount and tend to lurk for long periods, but it doesn't bother me. When
I do post I generally get favourable responses, and I personally would
much rather be recognised by only a few people here for the quality of
my posts, rather than be recognised by everyone for the quantity.

--
Samir Sheldenkar

http://www.fitz.cam.ac.uk/~sas46
ICQ: 28868234

Rev. Owen Allaway

Apr 15, 2001, 5:59:54 PM4/15/01
On 15 Apr 2001, Charing Cross Branch wrote...

>I'm not sure... a 'mohh' is a bit like being a waiter and getting a
>really pathetic tip. You've put the effort and the people at least
>recognize it but also don't feel you deserve much recognition for your
>efforts. Fuck it, I just expect too much.

Well, I only use "mohh" when I have actually laughed out loud, and thus
it's the highest compliment I can give. It's shorthand for "that was
very amusing, I thank you very much for brightening an otherwise dull and
boring day and I wish you great happiness".

Studders

Apr 15, 2001, 6:22:27 PM4/15/01

Samir Sheldenkar <sas46-...@srcf.ucam.org> wrote in message

> A lot of people here probably don't know me, since I don't post a huge
> amount and tend to lurk for long periods, but it doesn't bother me. When
> I do post I generally get favourable responses, and I personally would
> much rather be recognised by only a few people here for the quality of
> my posts, rather than be recognised by everyone for the quantity.

as I said before, I only take note of people who post lots of decent stuff,
and although as you said, you don't post a lot, I do recognise your name,
since I find that whenever you do post, its never boring/stupid/pointless
crap. So people: post a tiny bit of good stuff, rather than a load of shit.

Hayn-me-do

Apr 15, 2001, 6:21:19 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:27:42 GMT, glynF...@FSCKdeleteEmeD.co.uk
(Glyndwr) wrote:

>><snip>I'm at the stage where I can't see the point. Any good thread
>>rapidly becomes infected with the kind of shite that infests the rest of
>>the newsgroup.
>
>So what exactly do you hope to achieve? Are you hoping your influence
>will force all the people who you consider to be posting shit to go
>"oh no, wait, Daniel's right" and post less?

Me, Boggis, you and a few others are online just about all day.

I sit at my PC and tell agent to retrieve all the bodies for all of
the groups I'm subscribed in and reply whenever I sit down. I've been
thinking that it's been quite quiet up until now.

For those people that aren't online 24/7 who connect at 6pm and
download the lot there's a lot to digest.

--Nick.
--
icq: 9235201 -- Fax: (0) 7974 984182 - United Kingdom
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/what - Want videos?

Daniel Thornton

Apr 15, 2001, 6:36:22 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:21:19 +0100, Hayn-me-do said...

> For those people that aren't online 24/7 who connect at 6pm and
> download the lot there's a lot to digest.

Exactly. The volume wouldn't be such a problem if more than a quarter of it
was worth reading.

Charing Cross Branch

Apr 15, 2001, 6:40:49 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:53:14 +0100, Samir Sheldenkar
<sas46-...@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:

>A lot of people here probably don't know me, since I don't post a huge
>amount and tend to lurk for long periods, but it doesn't bother me. When
>I do post I generally get favourable responses, and I personally would
>much rather be recognised by only a few people here for the quality of
>my posts, rather than be recognised by everyone for the quantity.

I think someone, possibly me, likened you to Nintendo... you don't
produce much, but anything you do is always goodness.

Studders

Apr 15, 2001, 6:49:24 PM4/15/01

Hayn-me-do <Use....@to.addre.ss> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:17:02 +0100, "Studders"
> <al.gregory@(SPOTtheSPAMremoverINthisADDRESS)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >and alt.digitiser-moderated. The irony.
>
> alt.digitiser.moderated

that too.

Hayn-me-do

Apr 15, 2001, 6:38:02 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:17:02 +0100, "Studders"
<al.gregory@(SPOTtheSPAMremoverINthisADDRESS)btinternet.com> wrote:

>and alt.digitiser-moderated. The irony.

alt.digitiser.moderated

--Nick.

Hayn-me-do

Apr 15, 2001, 6:40:37 PM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:15:22 GMT, mr...@clara.co.uk.nospam (MrPSB)
wrote:

>>I'm having to pay to download tonnes of absolute crap right now,
>
>Mohh, It's been a long time since I've seen this one. "Your message
>cost me 0.001p and I WANT IT BACK"
>
>viva la 0800!!!!!!!!

Viva la modem du skank-me-do?

Tinman

Apr 15, 2001, 7:22:09 PM4/15/01

Charing Cross Branch wrote

> (Glyndwr) wrote:
>
> >I have no interest in action figures and only a passing one in anime,
> >but I read all of that thread between Tinman and Branch, enjoyed much of
> >it, and have resolved to watch some Tenchi as a result.
>
> No kidding... that was probably the most fun I've had on A.D in
> absolutely ages. It reminds me of the good old days with Camfield.

Thanks. I'd just like to say that I enjoyed the thread a huge amount myself,
and the fact that it was enjoyed by two of the people who's posts I always
enjoy makes me feel great for being a part of it, and feel, in some small
way, part of this group, as much as that might be loathed by people who
dislike anime, action figures and depression. Or anything else I've posted
about in my recent time here.

I've made a few pointless posts, infact, over the year-ish (or maybe years)
I've semi-lurked here, many more than good posts. Fact is, I know I'm
rubbish, and infact, feel more embarrased about my shit posts from after the
Tenchi thread than before. I try and put thought in my posts, but sometimes
excitement/rage gets the best of me. Sad as it is, this is me seriously
curbing how much I could post.

But the fact that Branch, and Glyndwr, can think of a week where I was
excellent makes me feel at peace with the group and contented that I've
added something to it.

I go back to Uni on Tuesday, so, like Glyndwr, I'm out of the picture for a
while as well, or, at least untill I come home again in a few months and
spend all my time skiving from studying here, if there is anyone left here
then.

I don't really know what to say about what Daniel has said, I think he's
been rather harsh, though, and I mostly agree with Glyndwr ('You suck up' -
Daniel) And think that things are only achived through action, not moaning.
So... Post more, Daniel, because as far as I can remember you were pretty
interesting. Even if you've hated my posts (probably).

Apart from that, I can't think of anyone here who has rankled me except for
James Bevan and his stupid Boards of Canada demandage, and Syd Ricketts for
just being boring. Infact, I'd go as far as to say I've enjoyed my time here
recently, but that may just be due to the afterglow of the Tenchi thread.

And that's my two cents, at best.

--
Tinman, who wonders about how 'Encyclodigi' is doing.

Glyndwr

Apr 15, 2001, 7:26:01 PM4/15/01
On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:22:09 +0100, Tinman scribbled:

>I've made a few pointless posts, infact, over the year-ish (or maybe years)
>I've semi-lurked here, many more than good posts. Fact is, I know I'm
>rubbish, and infact, feel more embarrased about my shit posts from after the
>Tenchi thread than before. I try and put thought in my posts, but sometimes
>excitement/rage gets the best of me. Sad as it is, this is me seriously
>curbing how much I could post.

Stop being down. You're excellent generally, not in small bursts.

Studders

Apr 15, 2001, 7:37:09 PM4/15/01

Tinman <Tin...@portalofevil.com> wrote in message

> Charing Cross Branch wrote
> > (Glyndwr) wrote:
> >
> > >I have no interest in action figures and only a passing one in anime,
> > >but I read all of that thread between Tinman and Branch, enjoyed much
of
> > >it, and have resolved to watch some Tenchi as a result.
> >
> > No kidding... that was probably the most fun I've had on A.D in
> > absolutely ages. It reminds me of the good old days with Camfield.
>
> Thanks. I'd just like to say that I enjoyed the thread a huge amount
myself,
> and the fact that it was enjoyed by two of the people who's posts I always
> enjoy makes me feel great for being a part of it, and feel, in some small
> way, part of this group, as much as that might be loathed by people who
> dislike anime, action figures and depression. Or anything else I've posted
> about in my recent time here.

liek I said, it doesn't bother me, if people are interested in the posts
(which they clearly are in the case of AFEE). Its when completely pointless
posts are made that its stupid.

> I go back to Uni on Tuesday, so, like Glyndwr, I'm out of the picture for
> while as well, or, at least untill I come home again in a few months and
> spend all my time skiving from studying here, if there is anyone left here
> then.

everyone is leaving. Help me Daddy!

Shaun Lucas

Apr 15, 2001, 9:15:20 PM4/15/01

wrote in message news:9bdbbm$8uto4$1...@ID-81201.news.dfncis.de...

> while as well, or, at least untill I come home again in a few months and
> > spend all my time skiving from studying here, if there is anyone left
here
> > then.
>
> everyone is leaving. Help me Daddy!

I'm not - leaving, that is. I did once, and four days was enough. I mean, do
people really want me back on the fags? Exactly. I may not be as prolific as
I once was, but I'm staying. Besides, I can't stop my Trude, my cow, from
chucking trees about. I nearly let her eat that hippy, though. Bloody
singing stones.

And don't call me Daddy.

Shaun.

David Lewis

Apr 15, 2001, 9:37:23 PM4/15/01

Hayn-me-do wrote in message <0m8kdtkcnjt5niu7q...@4ax.com>...

>alt.digitiser.moderated
>
>--Nick.
>--

I subscribed to that for a few weeks earlier this year. I've never seen
anything so moderated. It's completely moderated to fuck.

Dave
xxxx

remikz

Apr 15, 2001, 10:13:58 PM4/15/01
You 'Old Skool' crew have only yourselves to blame for the state of the
newsgroup. It was about a year ago when I started re-lurking and at around
that time every newbie was shit, and everyone would try their hardest to
become 'regulars' and would think it took a matter of months to do so...
That is why you now see the trend of these kind of posts...

-----------------
'Regular [A]' wrote..

Something witty and funnyy...
-----
'Try hard newbie [A]' Replied...

I agree
-----------------

Or perhaps...

-----------------
'Shit newbie [A]' Wrote...

I'm Da BezT @ DiGi LeiKinG
-----
'Try hard newbie [A]' Replied...

Get out of this / Regular [X]'s Newgroup!!
-----------------

These replies never got/get flamed and so the newbies feel welcomed, and now
have a way to safely get their names known among the group and become the
holy grail of respectfullness 'A Regular'.

--
Ian O'Sullivan

Boggis

Apr 16, 2001, 4:35:45 AM4/16/01

> A newsgoup full of posts by thirty odd people is pretty nebulous at best,
> and making it dance to one person's agenda is like trying to tie a dozen
>cats to a stick and get them to move in one direction. Basically, you need
>a lot of catnip.

Or some of that Ewan bloke's arr0ws of doom.

Boggis xxx

--
Remove meat-product-related drivel to reply by email
Billy Mode: ISSPE2, Fear Effect 2, Diver's Dream, GT2 (PSX)

Boggis

Apr 16, 2001, 4:52:58 AM4/16/01
Jammo <ab...@respectthepussy.com> wrote in message
> The proof is in the pudding. In the past 3 days, I have read about
> 500 posts. I was entertained by about 4 of them, and bored and
> disgusted by the rest. At least 2 of the entertaining ones were
> written by Syd Ricketts.

If you don't like it, don't read it, or make entertaining posts yourself.

Studders

Apr 16, 2001, 4:53:12 AM4/16/01

Shaun Lucas <shaun...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

you are way behind time there Mr.Lucas. Although I managed to not do most
of the silver scrolls on the first level by accidently completing it. But
I'm now on level 3, with [1 - Spoiler] a Zebra.

> And don't call me Daddy.

ok Daddy.

--
Studders
Al Gregory
http://www.btinternet.com/~gregorywebpage/alex - well at least it loads all
the time now, even if it is still shit..

[1] Yes, I know this isn't how footnotes should be used, but I figured it
would be a good idea to use them for spoilers. And I actually don't have
him currently, owing to the level that I'm on.

Shaun Lucas

Apr 16, 2001, 5:19:11 AM4/16/01

wrote in message news:9bebu9$8q086$1...@ID-81201.news.dfncis.de...

> > I'm not - leaving, that is. I did once, and four days was enough. I
mean,
> do
> > people really want me back on the fags? Exactly. I may not be as
prolific
> as
> > I once was, but I'm staying. Besides, I can't stop my Trude, my cow,
from
> > chucking trees about. I nearly let her eat that hippy, though. Bloody
> > singing stones.
>
> you are way behind time there Mr.Lucas. Although I managed to not do most
> of the silver scrolls on the first level by accidently completing it. But
> I'm now on level 3, with [1 - Spoiler] a Zebra.

I know, too much studying... I'm trying to find all the scrolls on Level
1... Combat still needs work too...

> > And don't call me Daddy.
>
> ok Daddy.

Well, Shirley's OK...

Shaun.

Studders

Apr 16, 2001, 5:38:55 AM4/16/01

Shaun Lucas <shaun...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

heh. I had one fight, then accidently completed it, so I must suck so badly
at it. I'll have to do a skirmish sometime to get used to it, and to train
my creature, cos I've neglected him a bit too.

> > > And don't call me Daddy.
> >
> > ok Daddy.
>
> Well, Shirley's OK...

ok Daddy.

Fish

Apr 16, 2001, 7:16:41 AM4/16/01
>> although its not, because if your house burns down, then its permanent, and
>> you have to rebuild the entire thing, whearas with a newsgroup its not like
>> any permanent damage can actually be done unless some of the "funny"
>> "regulars" (are you regular? (irony fully intended)) leave permanently.
>
>I've noticed that loads of the "funny" regulars no longer post here with
>anything approaching the regularity that they used to.

I dont know if I count as a "funny" regular, but i've been here fore about a
year and half so i'm regular at least. I used to look forward to reading AD and
would read it first when I went online and read virtually all the posts and
reply regularly. I would normally read it two or three times a day. Recently
i'm only reading it when i'm really bored and i've read everything else online
and as people noticed i've been posting a lot less. When we had the flame war
after Mr B menioned us on Digi, I spent ages each day sticking up for the group
against the idiots that appeared. If that happened again i'd probably just
leave. I don't think it's anyones fault, but most of the "funny" regulars have
been gone a while and because of that the groups changed.

Fish
e-mail - fish...@aol.com
fish-boy on #digi | ICQ - 19392590
Bootlegs - http://members.aol.com/fishboyoc

Xz

Apr 16, 2001, 8:52:00 AM4/16/01

"remikz" <Rem...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> These replies never got/get flamed and so the newbies feel welcomed, and
now
> have a way to safely get their names known among the group and become the
> holy grail of respectfullness 'A Regular'.

You are wrong. Not completely wrong, but your opinion on those who have been
here for less than two years seems to be woefully tainted by Syds, Captain
Blacks and I believe "Nab"s. For instance, I post here because I want to,
and the majority of people here don't mind me doing so. I occasionally ape
phrases because they seem "funny" (funny != cool), and couldn't care less if
I get called a "regular" or not. I may or may not try and attend one of
these "meet" things that go on in the shady corners of pubs and arcades
around Manchester/Cardiff/London/Leeds/wherever, depending on whether I
really can be arsed, and to be honest there are far better ego items for me
to be chasing than to be regarded as a "regular" of one newsgroup who's only
claim to fame is being directly mentioned on a transmission medium that next
to nobody watches now that everyone's got sky.

Now get out of my newsgroup, yes really him. DYSWIDT? DYSWIDT? DYSWID..etc.

And Glyndwr, come back pls! Yr gr8!

Meanwhile I'll hide while the latest shit-storm blows over.

--
Xz

Tinman

Apr 16, 2001, 9:20:53 AM4/16/01

Glyndwr wrote

> Stop being down. You're excellent generally, not in small bursts.

Thanks, man. I think you were far too hard on yourself, also.

And Daniel's been far to hard on all of us. But at least it's made us think,
if anything.

--
Tinman

Tinman

Apr 16, 2001, 9:26:46 AM4/16/01

Tinman wrote

> And Daniel's been far to hard on all of us. But at least it's made us
think,
> if anything.

Actually, I've spent a while reading more posts there and scratch that.

He's made the group degenerate into a load of pointless bitching about how
everyone else sucks, and has singularly managed to make the group shit, when
as I've stated before, I was quite enjoying it.

So fuck you, Daniel.

--
Tinman, showing how 'excitement/rage gets the best of me'

favus

Apr 16, 2001, 9:39:34 AM4/16/01

Tinman <Tin...@portalofevil.com> wrote in message

who the fuck are you anyway? you make me sick, fuck off and die.

Favus

Tinman

Apr 16, 2001, 1:05:16 PM4/16/01

favus wrote

> who the fuck are you anyway? you make me sick, fuck off and die.

Ouch.

Doesn't matter anyway, I'm going.

And, *sigh* it's not because of this current bitch-a-thon, it's because my
holiday is over as of tommorow.

--
Tinman

Daniel Thornton

Apr 16, 2001, 1:43:26 PM4/16/01
On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:26:46 +0100, Tinman said...

> He's made the group degenerate into a load of pointless bitching about how
> everyone else sucks, and has singularly managed to make the group shit, when
> as I've stated before, I was quite enjoying it.

Perhaps you made the group shit then? You were quite enjoy it, but quite a
lot of people weren't. Hmm?

Adrian Wood

Apr 16, 2001, 2:00:03 PM4/16/01

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:26:46 +0100, Tinman said...
>
> > He's made the group degenerate into a load of pointless bitching about
how
> > everyone else sucks, and has singularly managed to make the group shit,
when
> > as I've stated before, I was quite enjoying it.
>
> Perhaps you made the group shit then? You were quite enjoy it, but quite a
> lot of people weren't. Hmm?

He was enjoying the group, and then he read all the recent stuff, and then
he didn't enjoy the group, so maybe he made the group shit. What?

AD has been far worse in the last 12 hours than it has been since I've
arrived here, including Flamefest 2K. And lashing out at the first person to
say 'Daniel's post started a really shit situation, so fuck him'
(Paraphrasing) isn't helping anyone, because regardless of what you
intended, and regardless of the fact that its the posts that sprung from
your original post rather than the original post that caused it all, the
fact is that it was the catalist. (sic)

I think Tinman's attitude is harsh, as it wasn't your post that singularly
created this, but I also understand his view. And considering that Tinman
hasn't really posted enough to make the group shit or not, I don't think
he's a fair target for your frustration.

Adrian

--
Visit my crap site at www.geocities.com/the_1st_real_slayer
Sign my guestbook, preferably with a mark out of 10.
ICQ me! No: 103529080
Adrian: The champion of good sense and reason.

BennyX

Apr 16, 2001, 3:36:13 PM4/16/01

"Xz" <spam...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message

> "remikz" <Rem...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>
> > These replies never got/get flamed and so the newbies feel welcomed, and
> now
> > have a way to safely get their names known among the group and become
the
> > holy grail of respectfullness 'A Regular'.
>
> You are wrong. Not completely wrong, but your opinion on those who have
been
> here for less than two years seems to be woefully tainted by Syds, Captain
> Blacks and I believe "Nab"s.

<SNIP>

God, Nab was so fucking shit, Syd's just odd, and at least funny at times,
and Cap'n Black was shit most of the time

favus

Apr 16, 2001, 4:36:14 PM4/16/01

Adrian Wood <adrian...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Daniel Thornton" <dan...@the-wibble.co.uk> wrote in message

> I think Tinman's attitude is harsh, as it wasn't your post that singularly

> created this, but I also understand his view. And considering that Tinman
> hasn't really posted enough to make the group shit or not, I don't think
> he's a fair target for your frustration.

God Adrian you whinging whore, are you still here? Man you seriously cant
take a hint, like if you lived at home, your parents kept shitting in your
food and set fire to your bedroom, you probably wouldnt leave.. even if
they constantly stood infront of you shouting "YOU FUCKING ABORTION, WE HATE
YOU! YOU WERE A MISTAKE WHY DO YOU HAUNT US?!?! FUCK OFF!!!!" for 6 hours
a day...

you'd still live there....

and like it...

Favus

Adrian Wood

Apr 16, 2001, 4:41:54 PM4/16/01

"favus" <fa...@3dsmax.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> God Adrian you whinging whore, are you still here? Man you seriously cant
> take a hint, like if you lived at home, your parents kept shitting in your
> food and set fire to your bedroom, you probably wouldnt leave.. even if
> they constantly stood infront of you shouting "YOU FUCKING ABORTION, WE
HATE
> YOU! YOU WERE A MISTAKE WHY DO YOU HAUNT US?!?! FUCK OFF!!!!" for 6
hours
> a day...
>
> you'd still live there....
>
> and like it...

And on that note,

*plonk*

(In case you haven't noticed, I've finally lost it with my 'Even the
shittest people don't deserve to be kilfiled' mentality.)

Mr favus

Apr 16, 2001, 5:12:10 PM4/16/01

> "favus" <fa...@3dsmax.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > God Adrian you whinging whore, are you still here? Man you seriously
cant
> > take a hint, like if you lived at home, your parents kept shitting in
your
> > food and set fire to your bedroom, you probably wouldnt leave.. even if
> > they constantly stood infront of you shouting "YOU FUCKING ABORTION, WE
> HATE
> > YOU! YOU WERE A MISTAKE WHY DO YOU HAUNT US?!?! FUCK OFF!!!!" for 6
> hours
> > a day...
> >
> > you'd still live there....
> >
> > and like it...
>
> And on that note,
>
> *plonk*
>
> (In case you haven't noticed, I've finally lost it with my 'Even the
> shittest people don't deserve to be kilfiled' mentality.)

Oh how much better I feel knowing that i have pissed you off to such a great
extent that you NEVER want to hear from me again! this is great news! may
I also suggest A) burning your modem B) killing yourself C) all of the
above.

*plop*

Mr Favus

PS: you must never see your own messages, now you killfiled yourself!
haahaha...

PPS: You have a mentality? umm... I'm not sure if being the biggest turd
in the toilet counts.

Adrian Wood

Apr 16, 2001, 5:22:43 PM4/16/01

"Mr favus" <fa...@nospam.3dsmax.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Adrian Wood <adrian...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "favus" <fa...@3dsmax.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > >
> > > God Adrian you whinging whore, are you still here?

<Snip>

> > And on that note,
> >
> > *plonk*
>

> Oh how much better I feel knowing that i have pissed you off to such a
great
> extent that you NEVER want to hear from me again! this is great news!
may
> I also suggest A) burning your modem B) killing yourself C) all of the
> above.

And how much better I feel knowing you consider me important enough to
change your setting, just so you can get a last retort in. Very mature, well
done.

*RePlonk*

Adrian

Brian F. Avus

Apr 16, 2001, 5:48:23 PM4/16/01

> And how much better I feel knowing you consider me important enough to
> change your setting, just so you can get a last retort in. Very mature,
well
> done.
>
> *RePlonk*

Hello cunty

Favus

Adrian Wood

Apr 16, 2001, 5:53:34 PM4/16/01

"Brian F. Avus" <fa...@brian.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

*Re Plonk*

Matthew Garrett

Apr 16, 2001, 6:07:40 PM4/16/01
In article <CRJC6.9577$cf5.9...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Adrian
Wood wrote:

>*Re Plonk*

Thank you for telling us that.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-alt...@srcf.ucam.org
Any "Chris Buckley" mentioned in the above text is a fictional character.
Resemblance to any other "Chris Buckley", living or dead, is entirely
coincidental.

Adrian Wood

Apr 16, 2001, 6:11:32 PM4/16/01

> In article <CRJC6.9577$cf5.9...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Adrian
> Wood wrote:
>
> >*Re Plonk*
>
> Thank you for telling us that.

OK, fair enough, that probably wasn't worth saying. So to say something that
is worth it, and will stop me having to say it every time, I'd like to let
favus know that I will be kilfiling him the moment I notice him on under any
guise, without posting to let him know. After all, wouldn't want to waste
everyones time with a bunch of *plonk* posts.

favus

Apr 16, 2001, 6:25:59 PM4/16/01

> "Matthew Garrett" <mjg59-alt...@srcf.ucam.org> wrote in message

> After all, wouldn't want to waste

> everyones time with a bunch of *plonk* posts.

Are you still here? jesus take the hint.

Garrett, isn't there anyway we could remove someone from a newsgroup without
killing them?

Favus

Matthew Garrett

Apr 16, 2001, 6:35:28 PM4/16/01
In article <tdmshns...@corp.supernews.co.uk>, favus wrote:

>Garrett, isn't there anyway we could remove someone from a newsgroup without
>killing them?

Kill someone else and frame them for the murder? Alternatively, you could
give them an 0800 number and get them to use it fraudulantly and encourage
them to keep going on about it in newsgroups until BT cotton on and they
get prosecuted and one of their bail conditions is that they aren't
allowed access to computers or something?

favus

Apr 16, 2001, 6:52:28 PM4/16/01

> In article <tdmshns...@corp.supernews.co.uk>, favus wrote:
>
> >Garrett, isn't there anyway we could remove someone from a newsgroup
without
> >killing them?
>
> Kill someone else and frame them for the murder? Alternatively, you could
> give them an 0800 number and get them to use it fraudulantly and encourage
> them to keep going on about it in newsgroups until BT cotton on and they
> get prosecuted and one of their bail conditions is that they aren't
> allowed access to computers or something?

its a crazy idea, but it just might work, umm.. but i think its already been
done, the scenario sounds familiar....

the plot thickens...

Favus

--
I'm Chris Buckley, the real Chris Buckley all you other Chris Buckley's are
just imitating and wont the real Chris Buckley please stand up! PLEASE STAND

It is loading more messages.