Test

vallor

Dec 1, 2021, 11:43:35 PM12/1/21
No need to panic, it's just a test.

--
-v

vallor

Dec 3, 2021, 2:49:30 AM12/3/21
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 13:08:25 +0000, Absurd Burd wrote:

> vallor <val...@cultnix.org> wrote:
>
>> No need to panic, it's just a test.
>
> Ain't nobody here but us chickens.

Testing another way to do the chickenhead.

--
-v

vallor

Dec 7, 2021, 7:58:59 AM12/7/21
On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 09:20:44 +0000, Absurd Burd wrote:

> vallor <val...@cultnix.org> wrote:

>> > Ain't nobody here but us chickens.
>>
>> Testing another way to do the chickenhead.
>
> I think it should have a valid address.

Well okay then.

Test Unicode glyph with zero-length joins:

👨🏿‍🦱

That should be a person of color with curly hair.

🏳️‍🌈

That should be the rainbow flag.

I've noticed that doesn't render properly in xfce4-terminal, but
it looks fine in pan. Looks like xfce4-terminal doesn't understand
zero-width join.

https://emojipedia.org/man-dark-skin-tone-curly-hair/

https://emojipedia.org/rainbow-flag/

--
-v

vallor

Dec 7, 2021, 9:14:00 AM12/7/21
On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 13:09:44 +0000, Absurd Burd wrote:

> vallor <val...@cultnix.org> wrote:

>> > I think it should have a valid address.
>>
>> Well okay then.
>>
>> Test Unicode glyph with zero-length joins:
>>
>> ????
>>
>> That should be a person of color with curly hair.
>>
>> ????
>>
>> That should be the rainbow flag.
>>
>> I've noticed that doesn't render properly in xfce4-terminal, but
>> it looks fine in pan. Looks like xfce4-terminal doesn't understand
>> zero-width join.
>>
>> https://emojipedia.org/man-dark-skin-tone-curly-hair/
>>
>> https://emojipedia.org/rainbow-flag/
>
> Neither render here, but I think that is because the font I'm using
> does not include emojis. The set of fonts available to MacSOUP is
> limited and predates emojis.

It's more than that, UTF-8 are multi-byte sequences
that encode glyphs. The text rendering driver for whatever application
you're using needs to grok Unicode to display it.

I've been having some fun looking for new and interesting glyphs. Have
been putting them in my prompt strings, too.

Here is a terminal window with Saturn:

https://imgur.com/am3lgHg

--
-v

Eli the Bearded

Dec 7, 2021, 3:54:49 PM12/7/21
In alt.dev.null, vallor <val...@cultnix.org> wrote:
> Well okay then.

Exactly.

> Test Unicode glyph with zero-length joins:
>
> 👨🏿‍🦱
>
> That should be a person of color with curly hair.
>
> 🏳️‍🌈
>
> That should be the rainbow flag.

https://i.imgur.com/J8ucIDy.jpg

Sadly not fully working in my stack.

On remote end: Netbsd 9.2, LANG=en_US.UTF-8, tmux, acli trn[*].
On local end: Android 11, Termux 0.117, LANG=en_US.UTF-8, ssh

Editing the reply, adding in vim 8.2.3615 to remote end stack, the zwj
characters are explictly shown, even without ":set list".

[*] Has many charset fixes over standard trn4-77:
https://github.com/acli/trn

Elijah
------
https://qaz.wtf/u/interleave.cgi?use=https://qaz.wtf/&where=w&what=zwj

vallor

Dec 11, 2021, 5:05:33 AM12/11/21
On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 20:54:48 -0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded wrote:

> In alt.dev.null, vallor <val...@cultnix.org> wrote:
>> Well okay then.
>
> Exactly.
>
>> Test Unicode glyph with zero-length joins:
>>
>> 👨🏿‍🦱
>>
>> That should be a person of color with curly hair.
>>
>> 🏳️‍🌈
>>
>> That should be the rainbow flag.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/J8ucIDy.jpg
>
> Sadly not fully working in my stack.

If I look at those particular zwj glyphs in xfce4-terminal on Linux
Mint, the elements are split apart. However, pan renders them
correctly.

Pan uses gmime3 and webkit. It has some flaws, like decoding
any ASCII-escaped Unicode in the Message-ID, and then putting
the resulting 8-bit rendering in the References: header. Just got on
the developers' list to see about fixing that. I just put a glyph in
the subject, will see if that gets converted back to the ASCII-escaped
string, or if it chokes on that.

Anway:

> On remote end: Netbsd 9.2, LANG=en_US.UTF-8, tmux, acli trn[*].
> On local end: Android 11, Termux 0.117, LANG=en_US.UTF-8, ssh

Here, for a few minutes, I'm using my laptop (win10) using the tty emulator from
Cygwin. Also running the X server, so I can run pan here as well as
xfce4-terminal remotely, and see what *it* does with the glyphs.

But then I'm usually on my Linux desktop. My current project has been
to move _back_ to Linux, esp. now that I'm confident that Elite Dangerous
Odyssey runs acceptably with proton. Alas, my priorities are in
alignment with my chakras, so haven't been putting the attention into pan
that I'd like to.

> Editing the reply, adding in vim 8.2.3615 to remote end stack, the zwj
> characters are explictly shown, even without ":set list".

This glyph doesn't use zwj, does it look acceptable?

🪐

Also, when I use my editor (joe), I don't see that glyph, just a hex
representation. Older glyphs, though, like this one (rocket):

🚀

...older glyphs like that rocket, then, _do_ render in my editor.

All of these glyphs have been c/p'ed using different terminal emulators, so it's
very possible I have written them incorrectly if my stacks[*] aren't
being friendly. I've also used emojipedia and google to find more glyphs.

Anyway, it's a new toy. I might be obsessing over it slightly... ;)

[*] _Stacks_ is the title of a book by Carl Malamud from back in
the day.

> [*] Has many charset fixes over standard trn4-77:
> https://github.com/acli/trn
>
> Elijah ------
> https://qaz.wtf/u/interleave.cgi?use=https://qaz.wtf/&where=w&what=zwj

--
-v

Steve

Dec 11, 2021, 5:56:45 AM12/11/21
vallor wrote:
> This glyph doesn't use zwj, does it look acceptable?
>
> ?

It's the best looking question mark I've seen in ten minutes.

vallor

Dec 11, 2021, 6:31:19 AM12/11/21
That'll happen if you're using a newsreader of our forefathers.

Subject: edited to remove the glyph and everything past it.

--
-v

Sn!pe

Dec 11, 2021, 8:13:49 AM12/11/21
Arf! That's the best laugh I've had for yonks.
I'm glad your Aunt Fanny approves.

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Sn!pe

Dec 11, 2021, 8:24:34 AM12/11/21
Bear in mind the Robustness Principle*, sometimes stated as:

"Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept".

This very important principle is utterly disregarded by the likes of
our favourite dilettante Newsreader coder from a froup near you.

* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle>

Steve

Dec 11, 2021, 12:52:30 PM12/11/21
vallor wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:56:44 -0000, Steve wrote:
>
> > vallor wrote:
> >> This glyph doesn't use zwj, does it look acceptable?
> >>
> >> ?
> >>

> > It's the best looking question mark I've seen in ten minutes.
>
> That'll happen if you're using a newsreader of our forefathers.

I dunno how old you are but I doubt your forefathers used usenet.
Mine certainly didn't. My newsreader is GNKSA 2.0 compliant and
works pretty well as a usenet client. I save the use of fancy fonts
for email, etc. Not that any of that matters any more.

Sn!pe

Dec 11, 2021, 1:11:43 PM12/11/21
Exactly so.

vallor

Dec 15, 2021, 3:26:03 PM12/15/21
I've invoked Postel's Law on my own on occasion.

But the state of the art in communication doesn't move forward without
making a lot of old, stick-in-the-mud conservatives mutter about how things
are better with ASCII, despite the USENET being global in scope.

And what's funny about this? I can post glyphs and you can't see them, but
everybody else can.

So 👅 there.

And💃👯

--
-v

Steve

Dec 15, 2021, 4:03:08 PM12/15/21
On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 20:26:01 GMT, vallor wrote:

> From: vallor <val...@cultnix.org>
> Subject: Re: Unicode not quite ready for prime time?
> Newsgroups: alt.dev.null
> Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 20:26:01 GMT
> And����

I swapped newsreader to read this and it wasn't worth the effort.
It seems to me you may be using the wrong medium. Whatsapp and Telegram has
lots of pretty stickers and stuff to keep you amused. I've even seen
colouring books for adults in the shops. Hours of fun.

Sn!pe

Dec 15, 2021, 6:43:27 PM12/15/21
Steve <lamma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 20:26:01 GMT, vallor wrote:
[...]
> >> Bear in mind the Robustness Principle*, sometimes stated as:
> >>
> >> "Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept".
> >>
> >> This very important principle is utterly disregarded by the likes of
> >> our favourite dilettante Newsreader coder from a froup near you.
> >>
> >> * <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle>
> >>

> > I've invoked Postel's Law on my own on occasion.
> >
> > But the state of the art in communication doesn't move forward without
> > making a lot of old, stick-in-the-mud conservatives mutter about how things
> > are better with ASCII, despite the USENET being global in scope.
> >
> > And what's funny about this? I can post glyphs and you can't see them, but
> > everybody else can.

Correction: ~some~ others can see them.

Dyed-in-the-wool, stick-in-the-mud purists just [shrug] and say "WTF?"

> > So ?? there.
> >
> > And????
> >

> I swapped newsreader to read this and it wasn't worth the effort. It seems
> to me you may be using the wrong medium. Whatsapp and Telegram has lots
> of pretty stickers and stuff to keep you amused. I've even seen colouring
> books for adults in the shops. Hours of fun.

I concur. <aol>, even.

vallor

Dec 15, 2021, 9:02:53 PM12/15/21
I have a fancy moving picture box too, though I do still occasionally
listen to radio.

(Will even listen to old-time radio... but that is usually
streamed on a computer.)

But some places are meant to be just 7-bit, and I guess that
includes the bit bucket(?). Well, okay, then.

--
-v